Start by marking “The Second Home” as Want to Read:
The Second Home

The Second Home

A debut novel set on Cape Cod that centers on a beloved family home and the summer that changed the lives of three siblings forever, perfect for readers of J. Courtney Sullivan and Elin Hilderbrand.

After a disastrous summer spent at her family's summer home on Cape Cod, seventeen year old Ann Gordon is left harboring a secret that changes her life forever, and creates a
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by St. Martin's

To ask other readers questions about The Second Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Home

Start your review of The Second Home
Michelle
Wahooo!! Goodreads Giveaway winner!!!
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review to come later... <3

*ARC provided by NetGalley.
Anuradha Rajurkar
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a hauntingly beautiful book. Told through multiple points of view, the characters are flawed and human, the family dynamic unusual and compelling, and the plot is riveting. The writing style reminds of me Joan Dideon or Jean Thompson. An amazing debut.
Joan Kappes
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Within the first few pages of The Second Home I was thoroughly hooked. Christi Clancy is a gifted storyteller, and long after I finished the book I could not stop thinking about the characters Ann, Poppy, and Michael. An arresting debut novel!
Ann-Marie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story of a loving family coming apart during the tragic events of one summer at their Cape Cod vacation home struck the heart of me. The Gordon family was a remarkable little group of people, one I believe could really exist.
Christina Clancy did a superb job of inserting her characters into moments of time and place that tells the tale of three teenagers thrown into a situation they are not mature enough to handle, the selfish adult who manipulated them for his own benefit, and the
Elisabeth Blue
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Second Home is impossible to put down, which is unfortunate because Christina has such a beautiful way with language that one never wants the book to end. I was drawn in from the very first sentence and the imagery is so vivid that I would swear I had sand from Cape Cod between my toes. Dive into this compelling family drama and enjoy the ride.
Donna Hines
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
More than sibling rivalry this one cuts to the core and heart of this family.
Money is the root of the evil and inheritance is the middle of the problem with a beautiful Cape Cod home.
Everyone wants a piece of this pie and some will go to great extremes to get it after the death of the original owners.
What's up with the money is the bigger question and in more ways than one...
My word, the contesting of wills, the fighting over inheritances, the family dynamic is up in arms.
Ironically the last
Patricia Zashkoff
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because from the very start I was drawn to this Wisconsin family and their second home on Cape Cod. The family consists of a mother, father, daughter Polly and daughter Ann. They adopt a teenage boy named Michael, who is the same age as Ann. The parents love him like a son but the girls, particularly Ann, like him more than a brother. What could go wrong? To complicate matters, Ann take a babysitting job and gets involved with the father of the boys she is babysitting. ...more
Liam
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book this is! It will be just out in time for beach reading season, so get ready to get your own copy sandy, but buy a second for safekeeping at home. It's that good. An intricate plot, great writing, and most of all, an engrossing picture of a family trying to find its way -- truly -- home.
Kristie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much!
Bob Piper
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. The characters have great depth: I found myself attracted to, or repelled by each one in turn, nodding my head in understanding of their actions. The story is compelling; exploring the meaning of family and the strange gravitational pull of a second home. Christi's writing so accurately captures a scene or setting that I often found myself catching my breath, then going back to reread a passage, thinking "how did she do that?"
Rebecca Taylor
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christina Clancy has crafted a wonderful book about a family in flux. Insightful and honest, her characters navigate their complex lives with emotional punches that left me turning pages for more. The Gordons are a family to fall in love with, faults and all. Perfect for a good book club discussion, The Second Home will break your heart--then put it back together.
Lauren Fox
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Second Home is a deep and complex meditation on the fragile bonds of love and family and home. The writing is gorgeous and the book is a page-turner, to boot. I can't recommend this highly enough!
Anne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a heartbreakingly beautiful debut that tells the story of Ann, sister Poppy, and adopted brother Michael. They summer on Cape Cod with their parents but one summer left Ann with a life-changing secret that would haunt her for a long time. Fast forward fifteen years and their parents are dead so the vacation home must be sold. But the three siblings have since been estranged so things are messy. Told from their alternating perspectives, the novel shows us a family in crisis, struggling to ...more
Kristen Cook - A Book Ninja
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
Christina Clancy hit it out of the park with her debut novel. I will definitely be watching for future releases.

This book is set in multiple locations with the main two being Wisconsin and the Outer Cape. It is told from three points of view: Ann, Poppy and Michael.

The writing of this book is rich. I wanted to hop in my car and drive to the Outer Cape to explore a place I have never been but felt like I knew from the book. The characters are relatable and well developed. I would have liked to
Wendy
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that makes you feel like you have new friends - thanks to Christina Clancy's brilliant writing, you finish the book feeling like you really know and understand the characters - they are so REAL. I could not put the book down! Now that I'm done I already miss the Gordons! I can't wait to see what she writes next! Hurry!!
Joanna Bennett
Nov 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This one just didn't work for me.

Review to Come.
Kathei
This was a special book about the love of a family for their second home on Cape Cod.

But this book is even more about the wonderful Gordon family who loved one another so effortlessly and completely that I wished I had grown up with them.

They were a family with problems that made life very difficult for them but even within their despair, I loved each and every one of them. The book flew by so quickly that I wanted to read it again just to be back in their world.
Jenna Nizzardini
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal! It’s a great summer read, and impossible to put down. The characters all keep you drawn in in their own ways, and the descriptions of Cape Cod make you feel like you’re right there with them. Don’t miss out on a great book!
Kristin
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this book on a Goodreads first reads giveaway.

**Friendly warning in advance that this review contains spoilers.**

You're probably asking yourself why I gave this such a low rating (currently with 21 reviews, 37 ratings, and a cool 4.86 stars...I'm the first and only person, so far, to rate this below 3 stars). There are two reasons for that:

Consistency and Ann.

Nothing in this story was consistent, from the characters personalities to the plot...it sometimes became a tangled web of doubling
Joan
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of Uncorrected Digital Galley

The Gordon family . . . Ann, Poppy, adopted brother Michael, mother Connie, father Ed . . . called Milwaukee, Wisconsin home but spent every summer at their other home in Cape Cod. The house had been in the family for generations and the family loved spending time there. But the year Ann was seventeen, everything changed.

Fifteen years after that disastrous summer, Connie and Ed have died, killed in a horrific automobile accident. The sisters have no idea
Elysse
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a pleasant surprise that fell into my lap, and I am so glad that it did because it is now one of my favorite reads. I found the description alluring on Netgalley, but had never heard of the author and decided to request based on description alone. It turns out, it is her first novel, which is why I had never heard of Miss Christina - but let me tell you, after this book comes out, we will ALL have heard of her... she will be very well known!

This family saga follows three
Kali Thomas
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to love this family drama as much as I did. Instead of rehashing the plot (the book summary on Netgalley and Goodreads does that already), I want to talk about how this story made me feel.

Nostalgia, grief, tears, laughter, closeness, longing, FAMILY. It had it all. I instantly found myself wishing I was a part of this perfectly flawed family.

Don't let my emotions fool you, though. This isn't all rainbows. Truth is, the story is dark most of the time. I think that's what I
Olivia L
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading 'The Second Home'—a book that defies one of the sacred tenets of fiction writing—I was left feeling... Awestruck! Utterly Gobsmacked! Usually, when faced with a narrative in which telling takes precedent over showing, I tend to quickly lose interest. Howbeit, in this case the writing was so captivating that the point is irrelevant. This story consumed me from beginning to end. 'The Second Home' is a beautiful, intricately crafted tale about growing up, about love and loss, about ...more
Ash
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It carries you through so many emotions and leaves you wanting more.

I received an advanced copy of #TheSecondHome from @StMartinsPress and @Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. When I first received this book, I thought "I don't know about this" as I mostly read thrillers and thought this one might be boring. WELL, let me tell you this book is FAR from boring! I DEVOURED this story and its fantastic characters. So good!

Christina Clancy has created captivating
Melinda
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
2.5 Stars

I went into The Second Home expecting a nice beach read with some family drama. Unfortunately it was way heavier than what I was expecting and I found it difficult to get through.

I found the family dynamic really strange. Ann and Poppy's parents adopted Michael but let the three of them run all over Cape Cod doing their own things, while their parents stayed home and got high. I also wasn't a fan of the relationship between Ann and Michael because event though he was her adopted
Liz
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jean
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a giveaway and so glad I did. It takes place in Cape Cod, which immediately sparks my interest. I love anything local. This is a book about family and love. I was hooked after the first page.
Thank you, Goodreads for the advanced copy. This is an author I will watch for in the future.
Jeffrey Chassen
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved, loved, loved this book so much. The writing was so alive. The characters felt so real. The story was addictive. I was happy, I was angry, I cried. I know its early in the year, but so far this is my favorite book I have read. What a wonderful novel.
Hayley
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was my favorite book of the year. i started and finished it in one day because i couldn’t put it down!! it made me laugh and cry i’ve been recommending it to all of my friends!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The New Husband
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Look-Alike
  • Been There, Married That
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • An Everyday Hero (A Heart of a Hero #2)
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • A Hundred Suns
  • Mr. Nobody
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • Unfollow Me
Like the characters in THE SECOND HOME, I spent the summers of my youth on Cape Cod in the rugged and artsy town of South Wellfleet, MA. The outermost Cape is a place of steep sand dunes, pristine fresh water kettle ponds, salty air, scrub pine and oak trees. It's a place that has stayed with me everywhere I go.

My grandparents lived in a simple cove-side house that has been in our family since the