Start by marking “The Second Home” as Want to Read:
The Second Home

The Second Home

A debut novel set on Cape Cod that centers on a beloved family home and the summer that changed the lives of three siblings forever, perfect for readers of J. Courtney Sullivan and Elin Hilderbrand.

After a disastrous summer spent at her family's summer home on Cape Cod, seventeen year old Ann Gordon is left harboring a secret that changes her life forever, and creates a
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by St. Martin's

To ask other readers questions about The Second Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Home

Start your review of The Second Home
Paromjit
Christina Clancy writes a family drama with some very dark elements, featuring the Gordon family from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with parents Ed and Connie, their teen daughters, Ann and Poppy,and their late adopted son, Michael. They spend their summers at Cape Cod at a family home and 15 years ago, they experienced a troubling and traumatic summer of raging teen hormones that is to have devastating consequences and repercussions on all of them. In the present, the parents have died in a dreadful ...more
Katie B

I'm always up for a book that revolves around some long-standing family drama. This story held my interest but I wouldn't say that I loved any of the characters. That's okay though because that's not really a requirement for me to enjoy a book. I do wish that lack of communication which was an ongoing theme wouldn't have been so prevalent in the story. I think that's part of the reason I became frustrated with just about every character in the book.

Ann Gordon is back at the Cape Cod
Michelle
Wahooo!! Goodreads Giveaway winner!!!
Christine
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: someone’s shelf
Initially I had a hard time engaging with this debut novel, but at around 30% or so things started to click for me when the pace kicked up. The story is set between 1999 and 2015 (with a 2017 epilogue) and takes place primarily on Cape Cod. I thought the author did a great job transporting the reader to the Cape. There are three narratorsAnn and Poppy and their adopted brother Michael. I would call this a darkish family drama, a genre I have recently discovered I enjoy.

Relationships can be
Corina
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

The Second Home was a great debut novel!!!! From the plot, and execution, to the writing this book did not read or feel like a debut novel at all.

For the biggest part the story focused on the Gordon family, the parents, two girls and their adopted son, and it mainly was set around their vacation home in Cape Cod.

What I loved about the book the most was everyones love for their summers in Cape Cod. With different memories connected to those summers and especially the house that held a
Theresa Alan
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an OK novel, but I felt it could have been stronger. The premise is that Ann manages to track down her estranged sister, Poppy, after their parents die in a car accident. Poppy returns to the Milwaukee, WI, home, where they grew up. Ann is going to sell their house on the Cape, where they spent every summer. One thing Ann conveniently leaves out of documents is that their parents adopted Michael when he was sixteen. Naturally, the siblings, who havent spoken in years, have to come ...more
DeAnn
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.75 Cape Cod Stars

The setting alone was cause for me to pick this book up! Ive always been fascinated by Cape Cod and have enjoyed the limited amount of time that Ive spent there. This debut novel focuses on one Midwest family who spends summers in an old house on the Cape. Events in one particular summer cause the family to splinter and years go by before anything is worked out.

Ann and her sister Poppy were close growing up, but Poppy learns to surf that fateful summer and later travels the
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much but last chapters of the book was kind of felt rushed. But still it was quite an emotional story. <3

*ARC provided by NetGalley.
Kristin
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I won this book on a Goodreads first reads giveaway.

**Friendly warning in advance that this review contains spoilers.**

You're probably asking yourself why I gave this such a low rating (currently with 21 reviews, 37 ratings, and a cool 4.86 stars...I'm the first and only person, so far, to rate this below 3 stars). There are two reasons for that:

Consistency and Ann.

Nothing in this story was consistent, from the characters personalities to the plot...it sometimes became a tangled web of doubling
Joan Kappes
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Within the first few pages of The Second Home I was thoroughly hooked. Christi Clancy is a gifted storyteller, and long after I finished the book I could not stop thinking about the characters Ann, Poppy, and Michael. An arresting debut novel!
Anuradha Rajurkar
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a hauntingly beautiful book. Told through multiple points of view, the characters are flawed and human, the family dynamic unusual and compelling, and the plot is riveting. The writing style reminds of me Joan Dideon or Jean Thompson. An amazing debut.
Donna Hines
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
More than sibling rivalry this one cuts to the core and heart of this family.
Money is the root of the evil and inheritance is the middle of the problem with a beautiful Cape Cod home.
Everyone wants a piece of this pie and some will go to great extremes to get it after the death of the original owners.
What's up with the money is the bigger question and in more ways than one...
My word, the contesting of wills, the fighting over inheritances, the family dynamic is up in arms.
Ironically the last
Martie Nees Record
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Genre: Womens Fiction
Publisher: St. Martins Press
Pub. Date: June 2, 2020

Itsy-Bitsy Mini Review

This is a womens fiction beach book. The kind I like to read sitting in the sun with a glass of chilled wine in my hand. Considering that I am not usually a fan of womens fiction and because I read The Second Home at the beginning of February, I am surprised that the book kept my interest. The story revolves around a couple with two biological daughters and one adopted son. We follow the kids life
Patricia Zashkoff
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because from the very start I was drawn to this Wisconsin family and their second home on Cape Cod. The family consists of a mother, father, daughter Polly and daughter Ann. They adopt a teenage boy named Michael, who is the same age as Ann. The parents love him like a son but the girls, particularly Ann, like him more than a brother. What could go wrong? To complicate matters, Ann take a babysitting job and gets involved with the father of the boys she is babysitting. ...more
Elisabeth Blue
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Second Home is impossible to put down, which is unfortunate because Christina has such a beautiful way with language that one never wants the book to end. I was drawn in from the very first sentence and the imagery is so vivid that I would swear I had sand from Cape Cod between my toes. Dive into this compelling family drama and enjoy the ride.
Ankit Garg
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Second Home by Christina Clancy is an unputdownable read. The beginning is unbearably slow, so much so that I was about to DNF the book. But as the story progressed, the reader in me was so engulfed that I just had to finish it before I could get on with my life. It is a five star read if not for its snail-paced start.

The plot spans around two decades, and sees the characters in their teens as well as in their adult life when they are struggling to find the will of their dead parents that
Ann-Marie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story of a loving family coming apart during the tragic events of one summer at their Cape Cod vacation home struck the heart of me. The Gordon family was a remarkable little group of people, one I believe could really exist.
Christina Clancy did a superb job of inserting her characters into moments of time and place that tells the tale of three teenagers thrown into a situation they are not mature enough to handle, the selfish adult who manipulated them for his own benefit, and the
Alyson Stone
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, summer, arc
Book: The Second Home
Author: Christina Clancy
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, St. Martins, for providing me with an ARC.

This is a very nice summer read. I was almost expecting it to be a romance, but its not. This explores a family in both past and present events as they work through some very difficult stuff. We get to see the characters as both teenagers and adults. We also get to see how their teenage actions have affected their adult lives and its big. I like
Sherri Thacker
This book has gotten many rave reviews on NetGalley so I requested it. Sadly, I could not get interested in this story. Just not for me. DNF at 40%. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book in exchange for my honest review.
Liam
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book this is! It will be just out in time for beach reading season, so get ready to get your own copy sandy, but buy a second for safekeeping at home. It's that good. An intricate plot, great writing, and most of all, an engrossing picture of a family trying to find its way -- truly -- home.
Wendy Golding
What a perfect title for this book. Connie and Ed are raising their two teenage daughters at their home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and spend their summers in South Wellfleet, on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Their girls are so kind, as you would think mid-westerners would be. Ann, the older daughter, wants her family to adopt a troubled boy, Michael, when his parents die. Ed and Connie do just that, and their second summer on the Cape with their three teenage children is where the story begins. The ...more
Krista Ahrens Podstawa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Christina Clancy has produced, quite possibly the best book I've read in a few years. Her attention to detail made me feel as if I were a part of the story and lead to believable situations that I couldn't wait to hear more about. I laughed, I cried, and I got mad. I loved and I hated. I'd definitely recommend this title and can't wait to see more from Clancy.
Kristen Cook - A Book Ninja
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
Christina Clancy hit it out of the park with her debut novel. I will definitely be watching for future releases.

This book is set in multiple locations with the main two being Wisconsin and the Outer Cape. It is told from three points of view: Ann, Poppy and Michael.

The writing of this book is rich. I wanted to hop in my car and drive to the Outer Cape to explore a place I have never been but felt like I knew from the book. The characters are relatable and well developed. I would have liked to
Kristie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much!
Bob Piper
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. The characters have great depth: I found myself attracted to, or repelled by each one in turn, nodding my head in understanding of their actions. The story is compelling; exploring the meaning of family and the strange gravitational pull of a second home. Christi's writing so accurately captures a scene or setting that I often found myself catching my breath, then going back to reread a passage, thinking "how did she do that?"
Rebecca Taylor
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christina Clancy has crafted a wonderful book about a family in flux. Insightful and honest, her characters navigate their complex lives with emotional punches that left me turning pages for more. The Gordons are a family to fall in love with, faults and all. Perfect for a good book club discussion, The Second Home will break your heart--then put it back together.
Anne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a heartbreakingly beautiful debut that tells the story of Ann, sister Poppy, and adopted brother Michael. They summer on Cape Cod with their parents but one summer left Ann with a life-changing secret that would haunt her for a long time. Fast forward fifteen years and their parents are dead so the vacation home must be sold. But the three siblings have since been estranged so things are messy. Told from their alternating perspectives, the novel shows us a family in crisis, struggling to ...more
Lauren Fox
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Second Home is a deep and complex meditation on the fragile bonds of love and family and home. The writing is gorgeous and the book is a page-turner, to boot. I can't recommend this highly enough!
Kali Thomas
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to love this family drama as much as I did. Instead of rehashing the plot (the book summary on Netgalley and Goodreads does that already), I want to talk about how this story made me feel.

Nostalgia, grief, tears, laughter, closeness, longing, FAMILY. It had it all. I instantly found myself wishing I was a part of this perfectly flawed family.

Don't let my emotions fool you, though. This isn't all rainbows. Truth is, the story is dark most of the time. I think that's what I
Joanna Bennett
Nov 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
This one just didn't work for me.

Review to Come.

• In Her Shadow
  • We Came Here to Shine
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Feels Like Falling
Like the characters in THE SECOND HOME, I spent the summers of my youth on Cape Cod in the rugged and artsy town of South Wellfleet, MA. The outermost Cape is a place of steep sand dunes, pristine fresh water kettle ponds, salty air, scrub pine and oak trees. It's a place that has stayed with me everywhere I go.

My grandparents lived in a simple cove-side house that has been in our family since the