Start by marking “Only Daughter” as Want to Read:
Only Daughter

Only Daughter

The must-read psychological thriller for 2019.
In one moment, Kat Cavanaugh’s perfect world is shattered into tiny fragments. The flash of her daughter’s yellow dress, the blonde hair hanging across her precious face. Her own heart-broken sob…

Kat experiences every mother’s worst nightmare when her only child’s body is found lifeless in an overgrown, abandoned quarry.

Des
Published March 13th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Only Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Daughter

Kylie D
Wow, can't Sarah A. Denzil write a page turner! I couldn't put this one down until I was done.

This is the story of Kat, wife, mother, sociopath. Her teenage daughter has just been found dead at the bottom of a quarry, and the police are calling it a suicide. Only Kat seems to think her daughter didn't kill herself, everyone else seems resigned to the fact. So Kat decides to investigate on her own, and finds her daughter wasn't who she thought she was. As she uncovers more and more of her daughte
Berit☀️✨
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, 2019-ng, blog-tour
Well HOT DAMN! This book was dark, disturbing, and deliciously twisted!

Sarah A. Denzil has crafted a story that will blow your mind and destroy your heart. I just finish this and my heart is still racing. This was not the book I was expecting, it was SO much more! This book truly is every mother’s absolute worst nightmare, I honestly never thought it could get worse than a child’s suicide, but apparently it can.

Kat gets the call that no parent ever wants, her daughter Grace is dead. To make thi
Mackey
Kat has been repeatedly told that she is a sociopath and incapable of love. She, however, knows beyond a doubt that she loves her only daughter with a passion, regardless of whether that love is natural or has been learned. When she told that her daughter, Grace, is dead Kat refuses to believe the news. When she is told that Grace committed suicide, Kat vows to find her killer!

WOW! Only Daughter is one heck of a roller coaster ride. From beginning to end, I had absolutely no clue who to suspect
Mark
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

So, here we have a story about a daughter, seemingly ‘normal’ who appears to have committed sucuide, there are no indications this was going to happen, nothing out of the ordinary....but Kat ( Mum ) doesn’t believe it, she delves, she searches and she uncovers secrets, bad things happened to her daughter....she wants revenge..
Fairly staple diet in a psychological thriller I guess
But hang on.....Kat isn’t any Mum wanting revenge, she is a sociopath who has killed before....and when she says reven
Brenda
How could Kat’s beautiful, sweet and innocent seventeen-year-old daughter be dead? It was a nightmare she desperately wanted to wake up from. But Grace’s body was lifeless; battered and bruised. What had happened? Kat needed answers – and she was determined to get them.

As Kat and her husband Charles waded through the grief, from the condolence messages to the funeral, Kat’s continual thought was that Grace must have been murdered. Her rage and disbelief fueled her desire for the answers she need
Carrie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Ok, color me surprised but I did NOT come close guessing the end of Only Daughter by Sarah A. Denzil. I will admit I began this one thinking OK, the writing may be good so far and the story entertaining but I bet it’s going to be x did it and then I’ll be annoyed….haha nope.

What the author has done in Only Daughter is take readers into the mind of a sociopath in the protagonist, Kat. Kat is the mother of Grace, a teenager who was just found at the bottom of the quarry known to be a spot for suic
Mandy White
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of all of Sarah A Denzils so was eager to get into this new book. And it was fantastic as ever. She certainly knows how to get emotions flowing and reading this I was feeling many. I read this quickly, it is a book that will have you turning pages late into the night to find out what happens.

Kat has been told that her daughter Grace is dead. Not only that but there was a note in her pocket and she was found in a known suicide area and the police have ruled thatyhere was no foul p
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
download.jpg

So this was such a tangled web of psychological warfare and I loved every minute.
Picture the scene Kat's daughter Grace lies cold on the mortuary slab, a supposed victim of suicide.
But Kat doesn't and won't accept this apparent scenario and outcome.
Kat formally Katie Flack, a girl with a colourful past who has dragged herself up from her poor beginnings in life to her current station married to Charles who is himself old money.
In therapy, for years Kat has lived a life of personal improvement al
Selena
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-copy of Only Daughter by Sarah A. Denzil from NetGalley for my honest review.

A brilliantly written psychological thriller that I couldn't put down!

Grace, who is the daughter of Charles and Kat is a happy seventeen year old girl. Grace , coming from a wealthy family, attended private school and played violin for the school band.

Grace goes missing one day and turns up dead the next day. The coroner is calling it a suicide. Her mother, Kat, refuses to believe that her daughter
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: If you were here with me now, I'd say sorry for everything.

I know I've let you down, disappointed you, and it hurts. This is how it ends for me, isn't it? Alone with my thoughts, with my pain, all the regrets about who I am and how I acted coming back to haunt me. I let you down more than anyone else. Maybe one day you'll be able to forgive me, but I know I'll never forgive myself. . .

If you were here now, I'd apologize for everything.

But I wouldn't just say sorry; I'd warn you, too.
Shalini
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An absolutely chilling story with a crazy twist which had me cackling out loudly at the wicked mind of the author Sarah A. Denzil, a mind which could think of using the darkness residing in the depths of a human mind as the means of a wicked manipulation.

With thrillers abounding the literary scene, it takes a brilliant story to make me go Whoa, and this one filled me with a dark joy at the number of twists. A daughter's suicide and a mother's pain both form the arc of the plot, and as per the no
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Wow, just wow! I have only just recently started reading this authors books and think this is the fourth one of hers I have read. They have all been gripping reads but none more so than this one.

Right from the very first page, I was hooked. I pretty much read nearly all this book in one go as that was how compelling it was. Kat is not an overly likeable character, but as a mother, I totally connected with her and what she was going through.

No parent wants to believe their child has taken their o
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book, I devoured this psychological thriller. From the very first page I was engaged and eager to know more as I already had questions to be answered. As I got to know Kat and Grace I found I couldn't put it down until I knew the final outcome. Some difficult subjects are covered in this book but they are explored sensitively, respectfully and knowledgeably. It broke my heart to read about Kat's downfall after her daughter is found dead, which just shows the author's skil ...more
Eva
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When the body of Kat’s teenage daughter, Grace, is found in an abandoned quarry, police are quick to rule her death a suicide. After all, the quarry is a known suicide spot. But Kat refuses to believe her daughter would take her own life and is desperate to find out the truth about what happened to her. As she begins to piece together the last few days of her daughter’s life, Kat starts to realise she never really knew her daughter at all.

Only Daughter is an immensely gripping read. The kind you
Bridgett
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Can a sociopath love?
Not usually.

Vaguely reminiscent of Thirteen Reasons Why, Only Daughter started off with a bang. The prologue is gripping, haunting, and a parent's worst nightmare all rolled into one.

Although police are convinced Kat's daughter, Grace, committed suicide by jumping into a quarry, Kat vehemently disagrees. An interesting twist about Kat? She's been diagnosed as having antisocial personality disorder...and following Grace's death...she's out for blood.

As Kat delved into her
Lena♥Ribka
3,5 stars

I am not sure how to rate this book. I had problems to get into the story at the beginning and I actually disliked the ending, but I couldn't put it down and read almost in one sitting.

The beginning was very depressed: it seemed to be a grieving drama about a mother whose seventeen year old daughter committed suicide. But did she really? At least it was what police felt confident about. But not her mother. Why a happy teen with excellent conditions for the future would have killed hers
Sofia | Bookstagram Nerdy
Thank you net galley and bookouture for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

So this book was a roller-coaster! It started off as meh and then became awesome and then ended up meh.
For me a mystery novel needs to give you hints so you can solve the mystery for yourself and for me this didn't do it.
The main character is very well written and I love the way they mess with our brain. The main mystery was a bust, I think it had this awesome build up in the investigation phase to just
Joanne Robertson
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I seem to be reading a few books about dead teenagers at the moment-it’s certainly not been my intention but it just seems to have fallen that way! I have read (and loved!) this author’s other books and so was desperate to read her latest book no matter what it was about! Sarah A Denzil wrote one of my favourite books of 2017, Silent Child, so I’ve been looking forward to this book ever since then! And it was completely worth every month of the wait!

The first few pages really throw the reader in
Stina
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
When you've been told you are a sociopath who cannot feel love, empathy or remorse, what do you do with all of your overwhelming emotions when your daughter is dead? Or worse, when you are told she committed suicide?

Kat Cavanaugh is a woman with a past. She is a woman with many secrets. But she put all that behind her when her daughter Grace was born and she vowed to be a better person for her. And Kat found herself with an emotion she didn't think she was capable of - love.

Having grown up on a
Julie Lacey
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book which had me hooked from the first few pages.
Kat his heartbroken when she is told her daughter’s body has been found in the quarry, and will not believe that she committed suicide.
Kat had a difficult childhood and tried not to let her daughter, Grace, know what she was like.
As she kept some of her life hidden from her daughter she wonders if this made her withdraw from her and questions their relationship whilst dealing with her grief.
The police are unwilling to in
Lady Delacour
Violence.
Foul Language.
Marnie Harrison
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank-you to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and advanced copy of Only Daughter in exchange for an honest review.

Short synopsis:
In one moment, Kat Cavanaugh’s perfect world is shattered into tiny fragments. The flash of her daughter’s yellow dress, the blonde hair hanging across her precious face. Her own heart broken. Kat experiences every mother’s worst nightmare when her only child’s body is found lifeless in an overgrown abandoned quarry.

My thought’s:
After her
Paula Sealey
I confess I had a very hard time getting into this book. Following a mother's attempt to prove her daughter didn't commit suicide, it took a long time for the story to really get going and I didn't find the eventual twists particularly surprising. The mother is the main character, and perhaps the fact I felt no connection with her or the things she does led me to feel detached from the story. I can see it has been enjoyed by many other thriller fans though so don't let this put you off as I thin ...more
Maranda
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Mother has lost her only daughter to suicide -or that is what the police say. Is it her own fault? Is it her husband's fault? Her boyfriend, or her friends, or is someone else guilty. Like the cover art but have decided these psychological reads are not to my liking. A copy of this book was provided by Bookouture via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion."
Vikki Patis
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Sarah A Denzil for a few years now, having read and enjoyed almost all of her fabulous books. Only Daughter is another example of Denzil's skill. Her characters are flawed yet relatable, utterly human, warts and all. Kat is a unique character - her background and her internal battles are, sadly, so very familiar to me, but it is refreshing to see through the eyes of such a strong, if dark, character.

Only Daughter gripped me from the beginning, that enticing prologue that manag
buzy_reading
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-life
Prologue:
Her only daughter died and she wants to know what happened.

Overall:
This was a character driven story with many supporting characters. Katie was not a detective she was mother, yet she was determined to find the truth about her daughter. Katie knew Grace differently than her friends from school. At home Grace was a good daughter.
This wasn’t the first time I’ve a read a story where one of the parents takes a personal interest in solving their own child’s murder, while detectives close t
Lee Husemann
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace Cavanaugh is found dead at the bottom of a quarry with a suicide note in her pocket. Her monther, Kat, refused to believe it was a suicide. As Kat begins to do her own investigation into her daughter's death, she begins to receive threatening texts. As this story unfolds, there are many twists and turns along with a lot of surprises and other story lines that all tie in together in the end. This was a very fast paced read and I really enjoyed being kept on the edge of my seat while devouri ...more
Meghan Hardison
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley, Bookouture, and Sarah A. Denzil for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review. Kat is a grieving mother who is trying to get to the bottom of her daughter’s supposed suicide. She doesn’t believe for a second that her daughter would do such a thing and believes she was murdered. After some digging she realizes her daughter had some troubling secrets of her own and she begins to doubt everything. Did her daughter kill her self or is someone else to blame? I rea ...more
Carley
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Wow, what a book! The main character, Kat Cavanaugh, was really refreshing. Most of the time, MC's don't acknowledge or are unaware of their personality traits but not Kat! She was unabashedly upfront about who she was. I loved Kat's relationship with her daughter, Grace- before and after her death. Again, it was refreshing as so many times parents only want to see one side of their child. Not only was it a great psychological thriller (red herrings, unpredictable story-line) but an emotional lo ...more
Blair
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5
*Free ARC received from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Truly unputdownable!

From the begining this book had me hooked. I wanted to know what secrets everyone was keeping and what role every character played in Grace's death. The twists kept me guessing, although some of them ended up being kind of cliche. The ending was very good and wrapped up neatly. I enjoyed the morally grey mother (Kat) in particular. Definitely a new thriller you should read!

I do think the cover is kind of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sarah A. Denzil is a suspense writer from Derbyshire, England. She is also known as young adult author Sarah Dalton.

Sarah lives in Yorkshire with her partner, enjoying the scenic countryside and rather unpredictable weather.

She is the author of international bestselling psychological thriller SILENT CHILD, which topped the bestseller lists on Amazon in the US, UK and Australia.