Start by marking “Bigmama's” as Want to Read:
Bigmama's

Bigmama's

Donald Crews, the Caldecott Honor artist and award-winning creator of Freight Train, Truck, and many other classic picture books for young children, writes of his own childhood experiences visiting his grandparents in Florida. Share this book at home or in the classroom. Everyone will enjoy the memories of a perfect day in the country, exploring and playing, and the connec ...more
Published January 21st 1998 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bigmama's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bigmama's

Start your review of Bigmama's
Melki
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adults will probably enjoy this one more than children as Crews remembers his wonderful summer days spent at his grandmother's house. You can almost hear the cicadas buzz as he and his siblings explore, go fishing, and stargazing.

This brought back magical memories of my own youth when my mantra was eat and play, do it again the next day.
Almira
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recently our library system had a tremendous training on diversity in our children's programming - living in a part of the country that is pretty much "white", I admit that I tend to stick to that which our community is familiar with, although more often than not, I do use story time books whose characters are animals, that being said, I am going to make a much more concentrated effort to include more diverse books at story times...

This one just popped off the shelf at me yesterday. It now sits
V
Feb 17, 2018 marked it as t  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018t
I first came across this on a Facebook post about Black History Month. T has two of the author's other books, Truck and School Bus, and he liked this one too!

V's Review

Young Donald Crews visits his grandparents and takes comfort in the constancy of family.

Readers who live far from grandparents and extended family may identify with the author as he describes his trip to visit his grandmother. Crews emphasizes how happy he and his siblings are to visit and see that everything stays the same from y
Teonna Taylor
I enjoyed the story line of an older male reminiscing on the summer he and his family would have while visiting his big mama. It made me think of the joy and wonder I had as a child when we visited our family in Texas and the stories my mom would tell of her childhood with Big Mama.
Illustrations did not do well in bringing life to this story.
Courtney Dyer
A departure from Crews’ typical writing style comes a nostalgic, evocative story about another summer’s visit to bigmama’s house told from the perspective of a child. Trading in his vibrant illustrations for a more realistic style, Crews uses watercolor and gouache paints in rich earth tones paired with soft lines to bring this memorable childhood experience to life.

“Every summer we went to see her- Mama, my sisters, my brother, and me.” They rode the train for 3 days to Cottondale, Florida to v
Amy
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I totally disagree with the rating I just gave Bigmama's. Before people start to think that I have some sort of personality disorder, let me explain. I thought Bigmama's was a great book. It was about the times that Donald Crews spent on his grandparents Florida farm when he and his siblings were kids. The story was told in spare, uncomplicated language, but it was clear that Crews holds these memories close to his heart.

My niece, however, wasn't overly impressed with this book, and my six yea
Rachael LaRochelle
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Big Mama's. It is about a family who takes a trip to their grandparent’s house every summer. They take a three day train ride to Cottondale, where their grandparents live. They are picked up by their Uncle Slank, who takes them out to Big Mama’s farm. Big Mama’s farm never changes. They spend the summer playing with their cousins and friend the farm. At night, all the relatives have dinner together and enjoy gazing up at the million stars in the sky.
It reminded me of going to my Grandp
Jane
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bigmama's is a story about the memories of Donald Crews going with his family to visit his grandparents in Florida. The children call the Grandparents Bigmama and Bigpapa and they lived on a rural farm with a pond. It is easy to relate to the story for most children because they visit grandparents and although the visits may differ the relationships within the family are similar and give the children a feeling of belonging to the family. The children in my preschool room love Bigmama's and love ...more
SaraLaLa
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book would be good for teaching about setting. In fact, that's pretty much all that the book is about. It talks about Bigmama's house and describes it inside and out. Nothing really happens other than they travel to her house, walk around it and have dinner. I found it boring since there's no problem (and thus no climax or solution), but my mother found it fun because you can see that the children are enjoying the country life style.
Kelly
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bigmama's is a book written by Donald Crew. As the children take a three day train trip to the country to visit their grandparents for the summer, they are united with their families and cousins and are are reminded of how things at grandma's house never change. The is a great book for preschoolers up through age 8. A great book for any young children to reflect upon their summer days.
Goshen PL Childrens
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: staff-reads-2017
Donald Crews recalls visiting his grandmother (Bibmama) and grandfather (Bigpapa) as a child. After a three day train trip, his family arrives. The kids take off their shoes and socks; they won't need them much in the next few weeks. He describes all the wonderful, unchanging, old fashioned things at Bigmama's - kerosene lamps, a treadle sewing machine, the well, water pump, and chicken house. And the outhouse - okay now, but scary in the dark. The house, the porches, and the stability of knowin ...more
Cathy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Author Biographies week in the library
Four African American children travel with their mother, and when the train arrives in Cottondale, Florida, the summer at Bigmama's house begins! Donald Crews brilliantly evokes the sights, sounds, and emotions of a memorable childhood experience. Beautifully and richly illustrated, this is a wonderful choice for family reading and classroom sharing.

Donald Crews, the Caldecott Honor artist and award-winning creator of many classic picture books for young children, writes of his own childhood ex
Shaunterria
A tribute to the trips "back home" many black families took, and still take, every summer, Bigmama's by Donald Crews had me knee-deep in nostalgia for days spent running after my cousins and nights sleeping on a pallet on the floor in my Granna's living room, surrounded by the same. The artwork is dated (kerosene lamps, a wind-up record player), but the feeling evoked by the storytelling is not - I still fondly remember heading to my grandparents' to play outside until it was time to come inside ...more
K.C. Gardner
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This fun story is about Donald Crews and his family visiting his grandparents in the summer when he was a child. The setting is very rural. Crews narrates the story in the style of a child, talking about how everything in his grandparent’s house stayed the same year after year. This story has appeal for both children and adults. The text tells the story but the pictures add to the feel of staying in the summer on an old farm. The watercolor and gouache paintings show a family sharing all things. ...more
Sam Dawson
Bigmama's was a book about children visiting their family for the summer. The visit revolves around playing with the animals, being outside, and the family being together. It's a good book to read to children to show them that electronics aren't everything and that fun is possible without them.
Lynn  Davidson
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young boy, with his mother, sisters, and brother, travelled by train every year to spend the summer with their grandparents - Bigmama and Bigpapa - and their extended family. It was a fun time in the country where nothing seemed to change, just the way they liked it.
Chui Ying
Another book about diversity to add to the school library. A story about an African-American family going on a train to visit their grandmother in Florida. A good book to introduce racial diversity and the commonality of the human experience to young readers.
Hannah Klumb
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
Such a well written and illustrated book that a lot of people can relate to.
Stephanie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE CLASS LOVED THIS BOOK
Mellanie C
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded of summers with my granny.
Rachel
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story!
Lynn Wyvill
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet book with delightful illustrations. Not so much a story, as memories of summer visits to grandma's house on a farm. Loved the ending, which was a surprise.
Rebekah
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite books as a kid.
Marilyn Showalter
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary Realistic
K-2nd grade reading level
This book took me back to when I went to my grandma and grandpa’s house growing up, although they did many different things in the book from what I did. I thought this was a good story and picture book. While I was reading it, I thought it would be a good book to have for a cultural diversity talk.
Elizabeth Daly
Title: Bigmama’s
Author: Donald Crews
Illustrator (if separate from author): Donald Crews
Genre: K-2 biography
Theme(s): summer, family, traveling
Opening line/sentence: “Did you see her?”

Brief Book Summary: Bigmama’s is the story of how Donald Crews, the author, spent his childhood summers traveling with his family by train to stay with his grandma or “bigmama” at her house in Cottondale, Florida. Every year when Donald Crews and his family would stay with his bigmama, everything was always exactly
Justine
Title: Bigmama’s
Author: Donald Crews
Genre: Biography K-2
Theme(s): Family, love, reunion,
Opening line/sentence: “Did you see her?”

Brief Book Summary: Bigmama is mama’s mama. Everyone in the family travels together for 3 days and 2 nights on the train to visit bigmama and bigpapa. The children reminisce as they revisit each familiar room in the house as well as the back porch and nearby pond. The family finally reunites for the big dinner.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Dr. Beverly Kobrin
Nicole Disilvestro
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1. This is a contemporary picture book.
2. This is about a child visiting their Grandmother house. It is about all the different things in the Grandma’s house and all fun things that there are to do at the house and all the things that make it unique.
3. (A) I think this is a very accurate contemporary picture book. It has very accurate character because it has characters that a child could relate to. A lot of children spend time with their grandparents and aunts and uncles. The pictures were ful
Carl
This wasn't a book I grew up with, published in 1991, but Donald Crews' memoir of visiting his grandmother's farm struck a personal note for me.

The story begins with his family taking the train from the city to the farm was something I had done in my childhood. Well, my grandma didn't have a farm, but she lived in Iowa and I visited a farm while I was there. More so than that, I was very much taken by the grandmother's home. His depiction of her house and her old-timey possessions rang true of
Robert
This book was purchased for the classroom library through CLI. There
it has sat for two years. I do not recall any students reading it.

We changed our curriculum mightily this year. As I searched for some
materials for a lesson the other day, I saw a reference to this book.
I developed the lesson around it and read this to the students.

The book is rich with description. Crews recalls vividly his
grandmother's (BigMama) house that he vacationed at as a boy. Every
year was exactly the same as he was wis
Megan Willis
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Donald Crews writes and illustrates a vivid memoir of his own childhood summers at his grandparents' house in Cottondale. The detailed illustrations really help to capture his descriptions about his time on the farm and how much fun he and his family had together. I can relate to this story, and I believe that many children can. We all have memories of our grandparents' homes and how we explored and played there. My favorite part was at the beginning when Donald and his family were taking the tr ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hair Love
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • A Chair for My Mother
  • Saturdays and Teacakes
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Fireflies
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • The Undefeated
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • Zen Shorts
  • Last Stop on Market Street
  • Ada Twist, Scientist
Donald Crews (born August 30, 1938) is an American illustrator and writer of children's picture books. In 2015, the American Library Association (ALA) honored him with the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal, recognizing his lasting contribution to children's literature. Common subjects of his include modern technology (especially travel vehicles), and childhood memories. His stories often include few huma ...more

News & Interviews