Start by marking “Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde” as Want to Read:
Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde

Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde

First published to critical acclaim in 1886, Robert Louis Stevenson’s mesmerising thriller is a terrifying study of the duality of man's nature, and it is the book which established Stevenson's reputation as a writer.

In this Audible Original drama Stevenson’s story is transported to modern-day London, and instead we meet Henrietta Jekyll and Eleanor Hyde.

Dr Jekyll, a charm
Audible Audio, 3 pages
Published November 20th 2018 by Audible Originals

To ask other readers questions about Henrietta & Eleanor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henrietta & Eleanor

Start your review of Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde
Barbara
• What fun! I listened to the Audible original “Henrietta & Eleanor: A retelling of Jekyll and Hyde” narrated by Holliday Grainger , Clive Mantle , Carla Mendonça , Miranda Raison and written by: Robert Louis Stevenson , Libby Spurrier - dramatist.

This is a “modern” retelling of the original Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. In this rendition Dr. Jekyll is a woman who explores the duality of man’s nature. This is just short of three hours of fun listening. The sound effects are i
Sebastien Castell
I've become a bit of a fan of modern audio drama lately, and this one featured some excellent actors, so I had high hopes. Alas, while it's a well-performed rendition of Jekyll and Hyde, it never quite went beyond the basic material.

The oddest thing about the story for me was that, while ostensibly a female-centric version of Jekyll and Hyde (with Henrietta Jekyll and Eleanor Hyde in a modern London setting where, apparently, nobody's ever heard of the original Robert Louis Stevenson book), the
Tracy
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the gender switch from the original Jekyll and Hyde but was not too keen on the modernization. This story does not work in the current day or perhaps the characters do not work in this particular adaptation. Overall the story was just okay and a couple of the actors were over the top.
Alaina
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this version of Dr. Jekyll and Hyde.

I don't even remember the last time I read a book that was either a retelling of these two.. or made me think of them - ya know? Henrietta & Eleanor were pretty entertaining. I will admit I was a bit hesitant on how the women would be in this book but I definitely enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.

It has been a while since I read Jekyll and Hyde but from what I can remember.. this book did a pretty good job. I feel like women are
Erin
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a satisfying retelling of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic tale. The performers were entertaining and held my attention from beginning to end.

Goodreads review published 30/09/20
Valerie Campbell Ackroyd
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable, almost like an old-time radio play. The actors who voiced it were excellent. In fact, I recognized one of them, he used to play Captain Hastings in the Poirot series on TV. Soothing, melodious voice.
Of course I know the story of Jekyll and Hyde, I almost wished I didn't as some of the suspense wasn't there. Still, the retelling is done very well in a modern setting with modern sensibilities.
All in all, first rate. I received it as an Audible freebie, what a treat!
Jason Smith
Jun 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was merely Robert Louis Stevenson's writing moderately modernized.
Marie (IfCatsCouldRead)
I listened to this on Audible and loved the background sounds such as feet walking, doors closing, etc. It was read by a cast of people and was a fun twist on the classic Jeckyl and Hyde story.
Cassandra Joseph
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, then you like this book. True to the main book with an updated setting. Pretty fun listen.
Erin H
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
If a retelling is simply swapping out some male characters for female, and adding in details like watching tellie then I guess this fits the bill. However, for me, this adaptation does not really bring anything new to the complexity of the original themes which would be fascinating if brought into the modern space in a more captivating way. While approaching this from the writer perspective and evaluating what this version “adds to the conversation” I’m also thinking about this from the perspect ...more
Avid
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In general I almost always prefer the original novel and/or movies compared to any remake. I am almost always disappointed by the supposed new & improved version.

This takes on a different approach entirely without attempting to improve what was already a great story yet instead fast forward it into more of today's era. I thought it was rather cleverly integrated throughout how texting and email were used in the heat of the moment and other places I won't give away. One other very big jump from
Sharon Conty
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really interesting adaptation.
Emma
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, audio
This gender bent retelling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was great! It's told in a contemporary setting so the use of drugs was slightly jarring and I think to make it a modern retelling they had to do things and include things that don't really keep the cover of the original story. It retains a lot of the basic horror of the original though and is certainly with a listen. It is produced with a full cast and is akin to old time radio shows. The cast did a great job. A high quality, fast listen.
Alan Teder
Gender-swapped Retelling
Review of the Audible Audio audiobook edition (Nov. 2018), an adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson original The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886)

Although Henrietta Jekyll & Eleanor Hyde is a modern day gender-swapped retelling of the Robert Louis Stevenson novella, it actually does not diverge from the original plot very much. There are a few references to ATMs and cell phones, but very little of the modern world really intrudes. The dialogue could actual
Amy
I didn't dislike this Audible Original, but I didn't love it either. This is a bit disappointing, because I'm always interested in the re-telling/recreation of a classic novel with a different spin. This one, as the title reveals, is a feminine, present-day spin on the classic novel by Robert Louis Stevenson.

The parallels are all very similar. Henrietta is a scientist as was Henry. She is curious about the dual nature of humans, and experiments with separating the 'bad' from the 'good' with les
karli
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
3/5 stars!
Becky
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was like listening to an old time radio show with the sound effects and music. It was an interesting twist to change the gender of the Doctor and Ms. Hyde. I like audibles with the narrator reading the story rather than listening to a show with different actors.
Linda
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
This was a well done version of the classic tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde only in female form. Great to hear a classic.
Melora
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened, fiction
Oh my word but this was dull. And I'm not sure why. Essential the same story as the original, only with genders switched, but so, SO slow. I listened to the Audible dramatization of Jekyll and Hyde narrated by Richard Armitage a couple years back, and that was so Good. I'd say the two versions are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, only neither of those men were as dull as Henrietta & Eleanor, so the analogy doesn't work. Oh well. ...more
Steve Betz
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, 2020, audio-2020
I really wanted to like this modern audioplay update of the Jeckyll/Hyde story. Here Stevenson's tale gets updated to the 21st century, which is great, but sadly the story remains bogged down by 19th century narrative techniques -- there is a LOT of letter reading and exposition. A LOT.
Karen
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, classics
I have always been a fan of this Robert Louis Stevenson story. Jekyll ad Hyde is one of those stories that will always be in style because it speaks to the way we all are as humans. The duality that exists within people is something that will always fascinate some while others try to deny its existence.

Here the Jekyll and Hyde story has been updated to the present day, though still based in London with Henrietta Jekyll and Eleanor Hyde. A retelling based on the original story that was first publ
Kai Van
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2020
the performance overall was well done, the music, narration. Honestly, it was the only thing I really liked about this short drama. I guess if you had literally no idea at all of any aspect of the original jekyll and Hyde story, this might actually be pretty OK! But if you even know one thing about the characters in jekyll and Hyde, this is just boring.

There is absolutely nothing new in the story besides the fact that the jekyll character is a woman. This is supposed to be set in modern times,
Cameron H
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was going to read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but I thought it would be more fun to listen to this version instead. I think it was a good call. It breezes by, the production values are good, and all the voice actors are superb. I highly recommend -- especially if you already subscribe to Audible, in which case, this book is free.
Debby
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
This was an Audible Original dramatization of of story and it was fantastic; like listening to a play. Now I want to read the original story of Jekyll and Jyde. Another classic that's still on my TBR.
Herzl
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Ooh okay... me likey!

I love the audio production of this modern Dr. Jekyll and Hyde retelling. The narrators acted well, and I was immersed all throughout even though I already know the story. my only gripe with this version is that it was too short lmao.
Janet Womack
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde. The story was only slightly modernized. The gender swap didn't really change the feel of the story. Having a complete cast perform the audio version was wonderful. ...more
Sherry
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on Audible and it was great. The voices were so well done by a talented group of narrators and it was hard for me to turn it off. Wonderful retelling of the Jekyll and Hyde story, now set in the present day with female characters. I recommend getting this on Audible.
Michael
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 2020
An interesting retelling of the classic Jekyll and Hyde tale set in the modern age with a gender swap. The performances are well done, some of the voice acting is particularly creepy.
a r i a n a
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Free audible original for June 2020.
Interesting listen. Enjoyed the narration, however the story was quite boring until the last hour when everything started to explain itself and piece together.
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
3.5, pretty good retelling but it's very close to the original and not sure how I feel about the modernization
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Agent 355
  • Beyond Strange Lands
  • The Cuckoo's Cry
  • Ghostsitter - A Crazy Inheritance
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #.7)
  • Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • Coming Out Party
  • The Getaway
  • History of Bourbon
  • Forget Nothing (Galaxy's Edge Series)
  • Silverswift
  • Stuck
  • Phreaks
  • King of Sting: The Story of Australian Conman Peter Foster. An Audible Original