Start by marking “The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami” as Want to Read:
The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami

The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami

In the vein of Erik Larson’s Isaac’s Storm and Dead Wake comes an incredible true story of destruction and survival in Newfoundland by one of Canada’s best-known writers

On November 18, 1929, a tsunami struck Newfoundland’s Burin Peninsula. Giant waves, up to three storeys high, hit the coast at a hundred kilometres per hour, flooding dozens of communities and washing
Published August 27th 2019 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wake

Start your review of The Wake: The Deadly Legacy of a Newfoundland Tsunami
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Wake: The Deadly Legacy Of A Newfoundland Tsunami by Linden MacIntyre is an upcoming non-fiction that focuses on November 18th, 1929- the day a tsunami struck Newfoundland's Burin Peninsula- killing 28 people, and leaving hundreds more homeless or destitute.

As a Newfoundlander I was pleasantly surprised when the opportunity to read/review a book based on the history of the province I was born and raised in came up! I
Jack Beaton
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Corporate greed and desperate government is a bad combination and the mining industry continues this MO, in Nova Scotia and around the world. This book tells the painful story.
But the personal touch, the Conversations with the Dead, made this book a beauty.
Brandon
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, can-lit, non-fiction
On November 2nd, 1929 a magnitude 7.2 earthquake struck deep in the water off the coast of Atlantic Canada. While it would only shake for a few moments, the real damage would follow shortly. A destructive tsunami would batter St. Lawrence, a small fishing village on the southwestern coast of Newfoundland. In the end, twenty eight people would lose their lives and a town would suffer unimaginable loss. When all was said and done, one hundred and twenty eight thousand kilos of salt cod would ...more
Mark Edlund
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Canadian history - OK. A story like this in the States would be at least a made for TV movie and there would be statues everywhere. Who knew there was a tsunami hitting the Newfoundland coast in 1929? I sure didn't. The story of bravery and perseverance of the survivors is amazing. And then an early "Come From Away" story where these same folks rescue American sailors as their ships sunk off the coast. At least the Americans remembered and built at hospital in St. Lawrence.
The following results
April
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m from Newfoundland and I had no idea about the history of my home province that was detailed in this book. It was great to see the events put into the North American context as well. An amazingly written, heartbreaking, and true story. Well worth the read.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. #indigoemployee
Pam
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
While the topic was very interesting, the author's story telling style did not jive with me at all. I found myself skipping repetitive paragraphs, and losing track of the timeline of events often. I ended up referring to online resources to get a better picture of events. Oh, and a heads up to any unassuming future reader... this book is more about politics than anything else.
David Cavaco
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadiana, history
I was hoping this book had more background on Newfoundland’s natural, political and cultural history. Despite the writer’s best intentions, the book was repetitive about individual miners and their respective personal histories. Great photo collage.
Linda
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Linden MacIntyre was able to weave the stories of the miners and their families seamlessly with the actions(or inactions) of businessmen and government. Compelling from start to finish.
Claire
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been searching for a long time for a book that held my interest and this one did the trick. Very thought provoking and tragic. A part of our nation's history that is relatively unknown to many. Highly recommend if this type of book is your thing.
Denise
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. A true eye opener.
S.M.
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in Newfoundland history. This book should be on a must-read list for all Canadians.
Dianne Park
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much history in our own country we are unaware of. Excellent history of Newfoundland!
Kim Panek
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a terrific read that gave me such intimate details from my area back in NL and what happened as a result of such a freak of nature.
Joanne
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting and salient episode in Newfoundland history. Have to been to Burin and wanted to learn more. Author weighed heavy on mining industry for 2/3 of the book.
Cyndie Stymiest
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting read. Loved learning about our Eastern history.
Alexina
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a "must read!" I knew about the tsunami but nothing of the aftermath that followed. Very moving and emotional.
Wendell

• Watching You Without Me
  • Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
  • The Last Resort
  • Crow
  • The Missing Millionaire: The True Story of Ambrose Small and the City Obsessed With Finding Him
Linden MacIntyre is the co-host of the fifth estate and the winner of nine Gemini Awards for broadcast journalism. His most recent book, a boyhood memoir called Causeway: A Passage from Innocence won both the Edna Staebler Award for Creative Non-Fiction and the Evelyn Richardson Prize for Non-Fiction.