Start by marking “Paper Chains” as Want to Read:
Paper Chains

Paper Chains

From the acclaimed author of The Fifth Letter and Those Other Women comes this touching story of secrets, friendship, family, and forgiveness—and the serendipitous twists of fate that shape our lives.

Accept a letter…

Hannah has been running—literally and figuratively—from her life back in Australia. Whenever she’s not working, she’s pounding London’s streets, putting the pa
Published September 3rd 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Paper Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Chains

Phrynne
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
A short, light and enjoyable read about two women with big secrets. Overall I enjoyed the story but occasionally felt irritated by how long it took to discover what the secrets were. In the meantime Hannah in particular became increasingly exasperating with her melodramatic statements and actions. So much so that by the time I discovered her problem - which was indeed a serious one - I did not have much sympathy left for her. India on the other hand was much more likable and was just totally mix ...more
Nomes
Paper chains has so much cool going for it:
Set in London! And Australia :) and other snippetty travel scenes and flashbacks.

Two mysterious girls (ladies) both holding secrets. What is going on?

Those gorgeous moments of serendipity that I adore.

Chain letters.

Prose that you sink Ito, sentiments perfectly captured.

Most ever so importantly, characters to care about. To get under your skin. Two gorgeous girls, so different. And all their worlds (including their sexy, at times, estranged men) and fami
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

I was charmed by Nicola Moriarty's debut novel, Free-Falling and I have been looking forward to the release of Paper Chains. This wonderful contemporary adult novel reveals the secrets of two young Australian women, India and Hannah, who meet while in London.

The deceptively lighthearted introduction to Paper Chains slowly gives way to a compelling tale of heartbreak, loss and hope.
As backpacker India considers her next travel destination, she chooses to befriend the shy and fragile Hannah, seei
Brenda
Hannah had recently arrived in London from Australia, and fairly quickly found herself a job at the gift shop in a Museum…she wanted to work every day, but her boss insisted she have at least one day off. But when she had that day off, she punished herself by jogging, running everywhere. Beside the Thames, down the sidewalks and between the cafes. She ate very little, told herself she needed the punishment, that she was a bad person and didn’t deserve anything that would give her happiness.

At a
Kathy
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this beautiful and moving story. Paper Chains is about two Aussie girls who meet in London – both have secrets (which does get a little frustrating at times, but does keep the pages moving to find out what they are!) . This story delves into some really tough issues but I loved it all – the friendships and family, and the journey that brings it all to a heartbreaking ending. 5 stars for sure……what a talented author!
Bree T
Hannah is living in London, working all the days she can in a gift shop when she meets India. Hannah is amazed by India’s ability to go up to anyone she sees, introduce herself and become their friend. It’s been a long time since Hannah had a friend, but it seems like India is going to fulfill that role.

Both are Australian and both have found themselves in England for quite similar reasons. India knows that Hannah is hiding a secret. There’s a reason why Hannah is so withdrawn from life. She wor
Helen McKenna
Hannah is not your usual twenty-something Australian living in London. Unlike the thousands of other travellers and working holidayers that make the city home for a time while they party their way around Europe, Hannah spends her nights alone in her flat and her days off jogging all over the city to the point of exhaustion. By a stroke of fate she meets fellow Aussie India, who is as outgoing and funloving as Hannah is serious and reclusive. Although an unlikely friendship it flourishes and enri ...more
Lauredhel

Content note for (view spoiler)

Oh, this book. This book. It shattered me into tiny pieces. And not from what you who've read it already might expect. (view spoiler)
Paula Weston
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book at the library after reading Nomes' fabulous review on Inkcrush. I'll admit, when I took a closer look at the cutesy cover, I thought the library had wrongly marked it as adult fiction, because it definitely had a YA vibe (and while I'd read the synopsis and knew the story appealed, I obviously didn't read it enough to realise it wasn't YA).

I should know better: don't judge a book by its cover. The nature of the relationships and emotional struggles are definitely for an olde
Cheryl
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to know what "true love" is? It is Nicola Moriarty's newest book, Paper Chains. I absolutely fell in love with India & Hannah. These two women's story just tugged at my heartstrings and left a permanent scar in my heart. Ms. Moriarty pens a beautiful story of loss, love, friendship, and second chances.

India had a mystery about her. It was due to her letters. The little snippets throughout the book had me intrigued to learn her "secret". One that I could see why India wrote her l
Alex
The Plot: Living in London and working behind the counter at a Museum's store was not exactly where Hannah planned to be in her late twenties, but she doesn't have much to choose from since she ran off from her life in Sydney and doesn't want to think about or remember what she left behind.

Meeting fellow Australian India one day at the Museum, and later at the park was a surprise, as Hannah doesn't believe she deserves friends, or fun or anything good happening to her, but India is around to sta
Leanna (daisychainbooks)
3.5/5 --was definitely heading towards a four there for a while but I felt the ending was a bit rushed and I never totally warmed to either character. I feel like I didn't get to know Hannah or India -and I really should have. I've read another book that deals with a similar subject matter as this one and it pretty much ripped my heart out -repeatedly- so it's not just because I'm cold and emotionally disconnected that I didn't cry at this one. Okay.
Sharon
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful story. This was my first Nicola Moriarty and I really enjoyed it. A story about friendship,family,love and forgiveness. I found it hard to put down. I would certainly recommend it.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
The Blurb

“India smiled. ‘Everything is fixable, Hannah …’

Hannah and India are new best friends. Although true friendship means always telling each other the truth, doesn’t it?

Hannah, you see, is running from her life back in Sydney. Now in London, she’s trying to put the past behind her, and finding this amazing new friend is a positive step forward. If only she could stop punishing herself for what she did.

India knows Hannah is hiding something big, and she’s determined to figure it out. Fast.

B
Susan Wishart
As the star rating indicates, it was OK. A vanilla romance with two young Australian women, India and Hannah who meet by chance in London. Both are running away from a traumatic event in their lives which they do not wish to reveal. Spoiler alert; India has terminal cancer and Hannah has walked out on her loving husband and two very young children. I guessed India's secret on page four and it took me rather longer to realise that Hannah's problem was postnatal depression.
It's a competently writ
Michele
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars -- See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

Set mainly in the UK and Australia, this reissue of Paper Chains was a poignant look at how two troubled women’s lives intersected and the lasting effect they had on each other.

I’m not going to lie…I have mixed feelings about this book. Not because of the writing itself, which flowed as beautifully as anything else I’ve read by Nicola Moriarty. I even liked the way she wove in snippets of the past, teasing us with what big sec
Emma Tingay
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the last two months, Hannah has been living in London and working in a museum shop. She has run away from her life in Sydney, Australia, and has been punishing herself because of something she did back home. Then she meets India, who is also an Australian travelling overseas. India is the complete opposite of Hannah – outgoing, friendly, and wants to help people. The two become friends and India makes it her mission to prise Hannah’s secret from her so that she can fix it. India though, is h ...more
Sheree
Absolutely loved it!

Australian women Hannah & India meet by chance in London and forge a friendship marking the beginning of a insightful, sensitive, heartwarming journey of serendipity.

A story of contrasts, much like Hannah and India ... Hannah a deep well of pain & self-loathing, fragile, and withdrawn, India intuitive, outgoing, bubbly and confident. As first Hannah then India's secrets are slowly revealed this highly emotive novel addresses deeper issues with touching insight and ho
Katy
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, all I can say is Nicola Moriarty knows how to pull on those heart strings. I don't think I have cried so much for a very long time reading a book. I was so invested in the characters of this book, and being the time of my life that I am, I could really relate to the subject matter.
The thing I loved most about this book was it's pace. Each chapter was just long enough to read and really enjoy. So much so that I could read a bit each night, and go to sleep thinking about the latest turn of
Sallyann Van leeuwen
A sweet book of two Aussie girls who meet in London, one an introvert, the other an extrovert. Both have secrets. India skips from one country to the next, experiencing all she can, whilst Hannah is holed up in London dealing with self-worth issues. Quirky fun read of girls running from love, only to have it chase them down! However the cover made me think they were closer to teenage years not mid 20s. Therefore I was surprised with Hannah's secret! Looking forward to more of this author's work.
Kerrie Paterson
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WARNING - do not read the final chapters of this book in public. Unless you don't mind sobbing brokenheartedly in public that is :)
Paper Chains is the story of two Aussie girls who meet in London. I loved the way Nicola slowly revealed each of the girl's secrets - it kept me turning the pages wanting to find out more. I also loved how the story of the letter was woven between the chapters - each of those glimpses could have been a story in themselves.
This is the first book of Nicola Moriarty's t
Leslea
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with a difficult topic which was handled very well. I really liked the characters of Hannah and India and thought their friendship moved along quite well. I was disappointed with the ending - too coincidental and a bit rushed but over all I really enjoyed this story and would read something else by this author.
Molly
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this story confusing at first; I like other readers had the impression that the main characters were younger than they turned out to be. I also found the range of characters a little bland, without the diversity existent in both London and Sydney and the ending a little pat.
Jacinta
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't that sure about this book to begin with, but the middle to end really got me in. Very moving story.
Feistykel
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story with beautiful characters and just enough mystery. Such a lovely story of friendship and love and the reality of life.
Marg
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2013
4.5/5

Going to be difficult to review this one without spoiling!
Heather
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Editorial note: I received a copy of Paper Chains in exchange for a review. For full review, please visit: https://bookclubchat.com/books/review...

Paper Chains by Nicola Moriarty is an emotional story about friendship, family and secrets. While the major themes are relatable to all—the story is told in an unique style. It features the present, flashbacks and even major plot points told via letter form.

Stories that revolve around secrets are typically very engaging as you’re not only getting to
Marcia
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very good. Two women are running away and become acquainted in England. They are total opposites personality wise. Hannah feels she is worthless and deserves nothing good. India is out to "save" people and have a good time. However, they are both running from the people they love and secrets in their past. India sends letters, not by mailing them, but by randomly giving them strangers to pass on, hoping they will eventually reach him. You'll have to read the book to find ...more
Morgan Schulman
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
This is a reprint of one of her books from 2013 and it doesn’t have the bite of her newer books, more of a whimsical chick lit story that made me nostalgic for slightly better whimsical chick lit stories. Not bad.

I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review
Jordan
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why do I do this to myself? Got a touch of homesickness when I finished this one- it has Kate Miller-Heidke references 😭⠀

Hannah has a secret. A terrible secret. ⠀
She is on the run from her past. ⠀
Sydney born and punishing herself in London city; she runs into the eccentric and extroverted India- another Aussie, Perth born, and a fearless wanderer. ⠀
India is determined to fix Hannah and her secret, making a project out of it so she distracts herself from her own problems. In denial about love, s

• Dark Horse
  • No Place Like Home
  • Blood Secret
  • All This Could End
  • Because of You
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Hope's Road
  • Losing Kate
  • Currawong Creek (The Wild Australia Stories #2)
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • The Kissing Season
  • Into My Arms
  • Unforgettable You
  • The Mimosa Tree
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Last Chance Cafe
Nicola Moriarty lives in Sydney's north west with her husband and two small daughters. She is the younger sister of bestselling authors Liane Moriarty and Jaclyn Moriarty. In between various career changes, becoming a mum and studying teaching at Macquarie University, she began to write. Now, she can't seem to stop.

Hello there people in the world of books,
I Would love to hear from you either here