Start by marking “Polar Vortex” as Want to Read:
Polar Vortex

Polar Vortex

Arctic meets Da Vinci Code in the new thriller from Matthew Mather, worldwide bestseller with over MILLION COPIES SOLD, translations in 24 languages and film development by 20th Century Fox.

A flight disappears over the North Pole. No distress calls. Vanished into thin air.

Mitch Matthews is a writer struggling to make ends meet when his wife's brother Josh offers them a fir
Published January 21st 2019 by Matthew Mather ULC (first published January 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Polar Vortex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polar Vortex

Start your review of Polar Vortex
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Wow this story had me on pins and needles the whole time. It's a non-stop thrill ride. If you like stories about survival, airplanes and the Arctic, you should read this one asap!
Pat
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I've mentioned before that I'm drawn to stories set in cold climates so when I came across this book I jumped straight in.

Mitch Matthews and his daughter Lily are on a flight home to the US leaving Mitch's wife behind for now. Because his brother-in-law is a pilot for the airline, they get bumped up to first class. That would be nice, something I'll never experience. Sigh. Anyhow somewhere over the arctic the pilots lose control of the plane and it crashes onto a floating polar ice f
Sheila Beitler
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Polar Vortex is named aptly, as the reader will be sucked in immediately to this book. It grabs you from the beginning and never disappoints. The characters are compelling, well written, and you will never guess who or why the plane crashed. Mather not only writes the fiction, he gives us well needed lessons on the fragile environment on earth, and schools us on dangerous politics that could destroy earth as well. He takes the real and adds it to his book in such a way that the story is more and ...more
Herdis Marie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
How in the UNIVERSE does this book have so many five-star reviews?

Just. How.

description

I mean ... just ...

Ok.

Let's start with a quick recap:

Man and daughter are on plane. Plane crashes somewhere in the polar region. It's fucking cold. Daughter has asthma. They didn't bring a second inhaler for some extremely stupid reason. Father must protect daughter from the cold, rescuers who might also be assassins, and possibly polar bears. Other stuff happens.

So, the whole story reads like one looong love letter to t
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, mystery, m-f
By the numbers:
1. The child did not annoy me. She was everything she needed to be.
2. The protagonist was interesting enough and I did want to see him survive.
3. The pacing was pretty good after the second chapter.
4. Parts of my mind still doesn’t understand why things really happened.
5. The action scenes were pretty good.
6. The atmospheric setting was strong.
7. I’ll accept the ending.
Taylor Pitts
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t entirely sure what type of book this would be when I bought it. For some reason I saw it on a website that talked about post apocalyptic books...this isn’t really one of them. It’s an amazing, fast paced story about survival and the human spirit. I thought all of the characters were written well. None of them were annoying at all. Characters that I can’t connect with or that bug me are always instantly mood killers for me. I can’t get into a book if I hate the characters. Luckily all of ...more
Momma Catherine
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness we have authors like Mather to carry Crichton’s mantle

Great science fiction is hard to find. Mather is as good as Crichton and maybe better! The line between reality and fiction is hard to find in this novel. I found myself searching for different terms as early as the first third of the novel. I wanted to know more about the real science behind the fiction. In and his afterward, Mather says he wants to get the world talking and I think that that’s a really noble goal because it d
PJ Lea
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
The will to survive.

When put to the test in an extreme situation many will fail, but a parent’s love for their child often reveals an inner strength that knows no bounds. This is the situation in which Mitch Matthews finds himself when his flight goes down in the Arctic.
As a thriller this ticks all the boxes for me, it is high octane with the added emotional turmoil of Mitch having to keep his daughter safe in this deadly environment. The subject matter behind the storyline also left me thinking
Rob Morton
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Chilly Whodunit

I’m not a fan of cold weather so as I read this, I felt the cold and almost like the characters in this story. It’s more than who wanted to crash a 777 in one of the most inhospitable places on the planet but one of survival and, frankly, I don’t know how the survivors survived at all.

But still a good whodunit so check it out and learn why all this cold craziness happened. Oh, ya might want some hot cocoa as you read it because it’s very cold in the Arctic...
Thomas Zman
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure story

This novel kept me riveted straight through. Truly a master of setting and suspense. I plan on reading his next novel as well.
Ben McBride
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was just ok, drug on far too long, the final payoff was out of nowhere and made no sense. Too many moving parts and little to no backstory for the characters.
Wendy
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Polar Vortex” is a high-octane thriller that opens as Mitch Matthews and his daughter five-year-old Lilly are caught in a struggle to survive after Allied Airlines flight 695 mysteriously crash lands in the frozen Arctic tundra. Part of the plane floats on a sheet of ice across the water from the first -class section where Mitch along with ten other survivors fight to stay alive on water bottles and snack foods from the galley, hoping for rescue.

But, as the hours pass, his brother-in-law comat
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The twentieth century had been about oil, but the twenty-first was going to be all about water."

Mitch Matthews and his daughter Lilly board an airliner going from Hong Kong back to their home in New York City. Emma, wife and mother, just found out she's pregnant and is staying longer in Hong Kong to take care of her mother who has cancer.

Emma's brother Josh is the pilot on the airliner and gets Mitch and Lilly into first-class pods.

There are some strange happenings on the flight from the beginn
Daniellela94
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Water Everywhere ...

Enjoyed the novel greatly from the father- daughter relationship, countries' shenanigans to the topic of WATER. I agree that water is this century's hot topic. Living in south central Texas and over a diminishing aquifer keeps the water issue at the top of my mind. It keeps getting hotter and drier here and at age 63 I know my nieces and nephews will be facing decisions about moving toward better environs. This book is very timely in many ways from the polar vortex and climat
Don Pedicini Jr.
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best reads of 2019

Once every four or five years there comes along a book that goes beyond the "can't put it down" realm. Mitch and his daughter Lilly are boarding a flight at the beginning of the book and you, the reader, know that they are about to start some sort of adventure. The thing us, after reading hundreds of books and watching countless movies, it's seldom I am surprised any more with the way things turn out. This boom happily changed that for me. There were no weak spots at
charles simikian
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book with interesting concept kept my fixated

I have been a big fan of Matthew’s books since originally reading Cyberstorm and Darknet. Those two books are still my favorite. I read Nomad and while I enjoyed that series, having it drag out for four books was a little draining. However this book, Polar Vortex is a good solid one-book read. It kept me fixated and every chance I got in the evenings, at lunchtime, and in the morning before work I would have to read to find out what was happening
Trisha Perry
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An awesome action packed, roller coaster ride book about a man who will do anything so his daughter can survive, after the plane they were in, flying home, crashed somewhere over the North Pole. But there are so many obstacles in their way it will have you holding your breath and up way past your bedtime to see what happens. I loved this book, it was so exciting and grabbed, and sucked me in from the start and didn't let me go until the end. Mr. Mather has a way with his characters and the way h ...more
Iris
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Speechless

Wow just wow! Two sleepless nights power reading this amazing novel by one of my favorite authors, Matthew Mather. This is an entirely believable, exciting, fast moving, thought provoking read that I just couldn't put down!
Mitch and his daughter are flying home after visiting his wife's family in Hong Kong, during this flight you get to know several well developed, complex characters. Of course things go horribly wrong and they crash land in a frozen purgatory. This is where the real
Lena
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I enjoyed CyberStorm, and I love Air Disasters on the Smithsonian Channel, so I thought I would love this. Initially I did, but the farther I went the less interested I was.

Still, technically it was not bad. Lots of dad power, climate change politics, and conspiracies. I just did not enjoy it.
Kimberly
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I got this book as an ARC to Typo Spot. It was the first time I had ever done it and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the opportunity!

If you enjoy Michael Crichton then you will love Polar Vortex by Matthew Mather. It has a great mixture of action, suspense, and science. I really enjoyed the book, it kept my interest and attention the whole way through.
Lawrence.Larsonmchsi.Com
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hang on for a real fast read

Such a thrill to find an author that can offer such amazing talent in describing the characters and events in this book so vividly. Literally woke in the middle of the nite to continue this read. This was truly a pleasure to read and I look forward to more of your unique talent.
Nancy S
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won’t bother restating the plot - others have done that - but I will say that I loved this book. It’s a really original storyline, and the characters are genuine. The twists are believable but surprising. I am a Mather fan.
Howard Shevitz
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Standard start...great finish!

Started a bit as a normal “survival” plot, but having read all of Mr. Mathers novels, I continued on and was not disappointed! The story really grabbed me and was well worth the trip to the end of the book.
Smed Smedley
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Absolutely loved this book. Great premise and he stuck the landing. His books get better and better. Can’t wait to read more.
Louise
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
THIS BOOK KEPT ME SAYING WHAT?????? THERE WERE A LOT OF TWIST AND TURNS AND WRONG DIRECTIONS. HIS WRITING IS GREAT WHEN HE DESCRIBES THE ARCTIC,CHARACTERS AND TECHNICAL. HAD ME WONDERING EVEN UNTIL THE END.
Angie C
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, made me nervous as heck! Great nature survivalist thriller. Heavy on science/geopolitics as well, if you don’t enjoy long descriptions of either, not for you. A few plot points were glaringly obvious but it had enough surprises to outweigh.
Joseph W. McLaughlin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Too wordy

I’ve read five books by this author. Enjoyed all, but this one not as much as the others. Too much sidetracking, going into unnecessary detail about things not relevant to the story. It seems words added just to make the book longer.
Kimber Powell
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant

I enjoyed every moment.. Very relevant for our times. I love that it leaves me with a strong sense of hope.
Ash~Daydreaming and Reading everywhere I go~
It really boggles my mind that this has so many good reviews. I got this book for free on kindle unlimited and that’s my only consolation. I spent the day reading this and I can’t get that time back but from now on I’m DNF and moving on.
Cathy
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author. I had the opportunity to review or not.

An exciting, engrossing book. I enjoyed this story with its mystery, adventure, characters and plot. Plus, it is a fascinating tale of survival in inhospitable conditions.

Mitch Miller and his young daughter, Lilly find themselves on a ice flow in freezing cold Arctic. On their way home from Japan, the flight crashes into the ice and splits into two parts. Mitch and Lilly find themselves in the first-clas

• The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • Winter World (The Long Winter, #1)
  • Augmented
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Oracle
  • Veracity
  • The Enigma Cube
  • Extinction Crisis
  • The Last Monument
  • Flux
  • Under Darkness
  • Seed
  • Final Days (Final Days #1)
  • Geostorm: The Collapse (Geostorm #3)
  • Virus Hunters 2 (Virus Hunters #2)
  • Ice Fall
  • The Shift (Geostorm #1)
  • Extinction Countdown
Matthew is the million-copy bestselling author of CyberStorm and Darknet, and the hit series Nomad and Atopia Chronicles. He started out his career working at the McGill Center for Intelligent Machines, going on to become one of the world's leading members of the cybersecurity community. In between he's worked in a variety of start-ups,everything from computational nanotechnology to electronic hea ...more