Start by marking “The Mercenary: A Warren Parish Story (The Soul Summoner Companion Stories Book 2)” as Want to Read:

Sergeant Warren Parish is a dangerous man—in more ways than his military training would explain. Nowhere in the world is this more clear than war-torn Iraq, where his “special skill set” is crucial on more than one deadly occasion.

When a new enemy arises out of the ashes of southern Baghdad, Warren’s unit must rely on the help of an unlikely ally: private military
Published December 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Mercenary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercenary

Start your review of The Mercenary: A Warren Parish Story (The Soul Summoner Companion Stories Book 2)
Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Mercenary by Elicia Hyder

A novella from the Summoner series. This is the introduction of Warren Parrish from before the series while he is in the military. The novella details a skirmish in a war zone with tanks, guns, shooting, and killing. Warren also gets introduced to Fury.
Paranormal elements.

I enjoyed getting to know a little of Warren’s backstory.
Deborah
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sergeant Warren Parish is a dangerous man, and not just because he’s a soldier with super sharp instincts and great aim. He has other – abilities. Abilities even he can’t explain.
How is it he can tell, just by looking at someone, whether they are good or evil? How many kills they have under their belts? How many dead bodies are around an area, even when they’re out of immediate eye line?
And thank goodness he’s worked out that his presence near injured men only makes them worse.
Warren can’t
Kathryn
This is a prequel to the Soul summoner series. I do not recommend reading it before the rest of the series first. In it we find out how Warren Parish meets Fury. He's stationed in Iraq looking for the IJS, or as we know it, ISIS. This felt like a cliffhanger. I'm not sure if the author is going to follow through on the ending with another "prequel". It sure was exciting to read though. It's 107 pages. I wish it was full length.
I highly recommend this entire series starting with The Soul
Stephanie Villere
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is The Mercenary: A Warren Parish story written by Elicia Hyder. It’s book 2 of The Soul Summoner Companion Series. We get to meet a younger Warren and observe his first interaction with the Claymore group. I was so frustrated with him because he kept making eyes at that woman, who is not his soulmate! If I explained myself, I would be dropping spoilers... so here goes—- It was fascinating to watch as he tried to figure out who he is and why he has certain powers. It was a bit foretelling ...more
Michele Evans
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the Soul Summoner series! This book was great and set in the past, while Warren Parrish was still enlisted with the US military, during one of his missions when he first came into contact with some of Claymore’s members, including Fury. I don’t think I can ever be happy with Warren and anyone else, especially Fury, but the book itself was wonderful and fed my craving for more Soul Summoner series!! Thank you!
Debbie Greer
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great companion story to The Soul Summoner series. I really enjoyed Warren's POV. But I really wished it could have been longer. But the better authors leave you hungry for more...and I am hungry for Book 7! One more note, you can read this at the beginning of the series, in the middle, or at the end. You can't say that about many books!
Linda
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I suppose this isn't "great literature," but, honestly, I love the characters in Elicia Hyder's Soul Summoner series so much that I feel great joy reading their further adventures. So, from a reader's pleasure standpoint, The Mercenary: A Warren Parish Story, is a 5 star for me. And don't get me wrong when I say it's not "great literature." It may not be lofty, but the author is an excellent writer who knows how to create characters that are instantly relatable, describes scenes and emotions ...more
Tracy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elicia Hyder does it once again! I love everything about The Soul Summoner series.
In this companion book, we get a little background on Warren. In my opinion, this should not be read first, even though it is his background. I really enjoyed knowing him from the series before reading this. I loved being able to think back about different things he was thinking or saying and saying to myself, "oh yea, I remember xyz".
It was cool to see Enzo and Fury introduced as well.
Anytime I read any book from
Julia Stevens
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version of this and I have to say, the narrator was very Warren, with a deep, sexy voice I could listen to all day.

I really enjoyed this little novella, a prequel of sorts, set in the time when Warren was in the military and before he knew exactly what he was. This introduces Claymore Worldwide Security and it was intriguing. I hope there will be a follow up with the mysterious Fury and her boss.

Let's blow shit up!! Roger that
Marissa
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the introduction to Warren Parrish in the Soul Summoner series and describes a short stint he had with the Military. It also describes the way he became involved with Claymore Mercenaries. I like Warren- he is actually one of my favorites in the series. I wasn’t too sure about Fury though...
Laurie Pace
Jessica Rabbit

I enjoyed this book. It was good to get background. I wish it would have been longer. I have loved this series since the beginning. I Hope you enjoy the book and series as much as I have. When available I recommend audible, it really brings the characters to life. HAPPY READING, off to my next adventure.
Kim
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warren’s story was a perfect peek at the man who was a part of the puzzle before he even knew it. I loved the little backfiller and getting to know Warren, his team, and even Claymore team a bit more. The story was just long enough to give us a solid grounding without leaving us wanting for too much more. Ok, I’ll always want more.
Jennifer Black
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And then AGAIN

Once mor she has wowed me with a wonderful story about some of my fav characters ever... I’m dying to read more. SO I PREORDERED THE NEXT BOOK! I never do that... I cannot wait til it’s release! Have to hear all about this baby!!!!!
Keep writing ELICIA, I’m following
Cindy Miller
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Worth waiting for Warren. This short but great little story is the a prequel of Warren Parish, he is one of two main men in the Soul Summoner series, it tells his life as a Marine in Iraq before Claymore and Sloan, before he understood his special skills. Warren is so intense!!!
Kathy Kennerley
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! A quick novella detailing an important moment for side character Warren. This is a great UF series. Actually this author is pretty great too and after reading an excerpt at the end for another completely different series/genre I'm excited to start that next!
Brooke
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read in this series but I will definitely be going back to book 1. This book is amazing! For such a short book you have so much to learn and feel that it has left me begging for more. I hope there is a lot more of this in the future.
Paula
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Warren!!! He is definitely an alpha male. A great back story to him - pre Soul Summoner series and Sloan. Action packed.
Betty Rowlette
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More, more, more please!!!

As usual, Elicia did a wonderful job and i need more! Now i know how Fury got into the picture.
Pat Raab
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read.
Annmarie
fantastic surprise! I loved the glimpse into Warren Parrish
Chere' Brady
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Too short. Meeting Fury, one bad chick!
Amanda Baer
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yummy yummy Warren..... what else is there to say?
Melissa Hongisto
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The narrator was exceptional. I liked how the radio communications actually sounded like radio communications. The male voice was great. The fight scenes were very well written.
Sam
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good short story! I really enjoyed this! Liked the idea, chazracters & style! Great§ Will look for more by this writer!
Gillian Paulus
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! I loved seeing Warren first meet Fury. Soul Summoner fans will love this story.
judith l marshall
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Somehow I missed this book! It was excellent! If you love Warren,you love this! The whole series is compelling and now waiting,again, for the next!
Deb Dionne
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Mercenary

A nice short novel to fill in untold story in the Summoner series. I really enjoyed it, just not as much as the rest of this series books.
Mary Young
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was disappointed didn't end at time Warren met Sloane. Fury wellll is Fury she is badass. But really wanted some Warren and Sloane
Heidi Pergolski
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warren is on a mission during a tour in Afghanistan. This is our first glimpse of Warren before he meets Sloan, before Claymore and before he even fully understands who he is. This is from his perspective and I absolutely loved this book! I do wish it had been longer because I did not want to stop reading. I would love to see another book from his perspective at the moment his eyes land on Sloan. If you have read the other books in the series, make sure you add this to your list! If you weren’t ...more
CJ Coss
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! Felt like I was watching an action/drama movie only I was reading it. When I got to the end I was like “No! Wait! There has to be more!” There has has to be more to the story. Hope there will be more future books about Warren and Fury’s story. Great read and really enjoyed it.

• Dragon's Tears (The Dragon Shifter's Mates, #2)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Shadowvale, #1)
  • The Vampire's Cursed Kiss (Shadowvale, #2)
  • The Boyfriend Collector (The Boyfriend Collector #1)
  • Reaper (Demonica Underworld, #9; Demonica, #19)
  • At Death's Door (Deadman's Cross, #3)
  • The Forgettable Miss French (Shadowvale, #3)
  • Maze Witch (Questing Witch #3)
  • Breaking Without You (Fractured Connections, #1)
  • The Lionman Kidnapping (Chimera Secrets, #3)
  • Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)
  • Elizabeth, Guardian of Dragons (Fated Alpha, #5)
  • The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen, #0.4)
  • Advanced Green Smoothies: Better Health Through Unusual Ingredients
  • Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A Practical Patient Guide to Help Maximize Your Weight Loss Results
  • Bitter Prophecy
  • Big-Ass Salads: 31 Easy Recipes for Your Healthy Month
Elicia Hyder is a bestselling author of paranormal suspense and contemporary romance. You can get a FREE eBOOK by clicking this link: Get The Detective for FREE.

When I'm not writing, I can be found sipping craft beer in my blow-up swimming pool or beating my children at Harry Potter trivia. I am married to a superhero and have two dogs with severe separation anxiety. I suck at CAPTCHA puzzles and
“After all, there was no surefire way to prevent your murder if some psycho was determined to kill you, right?” 0 likes