Start by marking “Up!” as Want to Read:

Up!

After a failed attempt at college, Luke lives a quiet existence with his dad. He recovers from bitter disappointment and gradually life returns to a regular rhythm. Safe and predictable. Every day he gains confidence, but with health comes boredom. From the window ledge, he watches people outside and wishes he could be like them.

There's another side to Luke. Underneath h
Published December 22nd 2018 by Beaten Track Publishing (first published December 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up!

Judith
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

"Have you waited for me your whole life?"(...)

"I really have."

This is utterly charming.

A story of love and hope and family.

Life can be hard and anyone who has had experience directly or indirectly with Mental Illness will totally get this....but don't worry,it's not heavy or depressing,it's just the opposite...it's uplifting and beautifully written and yes,I shed some happy tears at the end.

Luke and Rob really are soul mates,they found each other at just the right time and kind of rescued
Diana
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really struggled with the first quarter of this book, but after reading several reviews stating that it does get better, I pushed through. I did enjoy the second half, which was a really sweet story about two people struggling with life, but find each other at the perfect time.

I did enjoy the second half, especially the ending. I adored both Luke and Rob, and Luke’s father was the sweetest.

After I finished the book, I went back and read the beginning again, and it made more sense to me the 2n
Len Evans Jr
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm gonna try and write something about this... not sure how well I can do cuz I'm so overwhelmed. First, I just have to say that these authors have written a narrative in the form of pure poetry. So much so that I went insane highlighting passage after passage. I also pretty much ugly cried my way through start to finish. Mind you not sad tears but tears of pure joy. This is the best thing I have read this year and quite possibly last year as well. The way the authors enlightened the read piece ...more
Ele
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
*4.5 stars*
"Why aren’t there ever any ups for people like us? Once you break, melt and shut, what’s left?

This is a story of love and healing and struggling with mental illness, told in a very unique way. Full of symbolisms that so very much remind me the grittiness of Greek surrealism, Up! was quite a rollercoaster for me. It turned me inside out at first, made me hopeful and giddy later on, and in the end….it lifted me up! Literally!

Love might not be able to actually cure mental illness, bu
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2018
This is a free one...! Except Amazon Sometimes life is just too hard and everything is going down, pressure unbearable and failure is what’s left. Both Luke and Robert are proof these things are reality.
When time has arrived to try again something wonderful is happening.

The beauty and the hardness of being yourself... the grand award... when you finally find a soulmate you can share beauty and hardnesses... you can finally breathe... gosh... I’d give my kingdom for that rare experience!

“H needs
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I didn't find this story as hopeful as most readers, but the authors' writing is poetry in motion.

If Luke and Rob aren't soul mates, then soul mates don't exist. Luke is on the spectrum, and Rob deals with severe depression (most likely bipolar).

But those are labels, and labels don't always fit. Like art. Art doesn't get a label.

Neither does love.

Luke's brain is never still. He worries and frets and collects jeans in different colors. The yellow pair is happy.

Luke's dad is so wonderful, I want
Kaje Harper
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story from these two authors. Luke is a young guy somewhere on the autism spectrum. He had managed to get up the courage and organization to go to Oxford, but he found himself isolated and stressed, holding his uniqueness back so hard he spoke to no one for days on end. After a term, he left. That decision was the only one he could make, but it lingers as a bitter failure, poisoning his view of who he is and what he can do. He lives a quiet life with his father, aware that whil ...more
Vanna
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars!! 💕 Sweet and uplifting short story about two misfits who are simply perfect for each other. The writing is both melancholy and poetic.. but the story itself is inspiring and unique. Highly recommended to all readers who need a little inspiring..👍
Fabi
DNF @ 12%

I'm not going to rate it because I didn't get very far with it. I was expecting a light, happy little romance based on the cover and title. Instead I got some weird mumbo jumbo yoda(ish) soliloquy. I hung on until I got a peek at the other character. (At least, I think it was the other character.) When he also monologued I ran.

No idea how or why I got the wrong impression of this book from reviews. But it was totally unexpected for me. :-(
Bev
girl smiley in love (1)

Beautiful. Heartwarming, uplifting and full of feels [much like the Disney-Pixar film which is one of my faves, and always makes me blubber]. Many thanks Al, Claire and Debbie for the freebie. 5 stars.

Zuzu
DNF
I've tried reading these authors before and just don't enjoy their writng style.
Gabi
Somewhere between 4 and 5 stars. I can't decide.
Expected nothing less from this author duo.
Beautiful!
Dad was awesome!
Already available on Smashwords.
Susan
This was just wonderful. I really love how this author duo writes. The way they use words, it’s breathtakingly beautiful.

Luke loves colored jeans, matching doc martens, and sees the world in a way that other people can only dream of. And he loves Formaldehyde Bob, the guy who makes amazing art and writes a blog about it.

When Luke’s father mentions Formaldehyde Bob coming to town for an exhibition, Luke is beside himself with joy. But he’s also a little worried. He knows he is different than most
annob
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to annob by: Gabi
4.5 stars!

The narration of this story took me a chapter to get into, but then it swept me up in its adorable uniqueness. A lovely, touching on angst yet feel-good life story. Lots of happy feelings in this one. The Dad is just awesome!
Rachel
Dec 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtq
The fantastic writing duo, Claire Davis/Al Stewart are offering a FREE (except Amazon 99c) story for the holidays:
-Beaten Track Publishing: http://www.beatentrackpublishing.com/...
-Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
-BN: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/book...
-Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/up/i...
MishyJo
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful as always with these authors.
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short, favorites, m-m
Zizz

Sometimes, all it takes is one person to truly understand you and accept you completely.
Another short done right.
I really liked it.
Rohit
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Real

Imaginary

Lovely

This book holds so much wisdom about mental health and people who suffer from it. It gives hope that your struggles are not to be undermined and you are perfect just the way you are. Also, If I could find a guy as understanding in life as Harry, I think I won’t ever leave him. ❤
Debbie McGowan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Editor's Review

Christmas was a busy time, so I'm a bit late with this review, and I want to gush freely about this novella, but I'm going to stick to factual, objective...

Nope. I'm not.

As always with Al and Claire, this is a brilliantly written story about the kinds of characters that rarely get page time in any genre. Or, should I say, they get page time but on the periphery. They're the fool, the qu*rky kid in class, the office clown. Their stories are told twice removed - through the author's
Allison
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free, shorts, favorites, 2019
There is so much hope and joy in this book. It broke me in the best way, it's been a long time since that has happened.

I don't have words for it, it's almost poetry, and it's almost art, and it's gorgeous in a real way.

The imagery is beautiful and so perfectly written that it is part of the story. Luke and Rob are the sweetest, but never sappy, and I love how their "issues" complement each other so that they become strengths. Plus, Harry, Luke's dad, is the dad we all want, but he's still very
K.C. Faelan
Up! is the story of Luke, who lives at home with his father, and Formaldehyde Bob aka ‘Rob’, who is an artist. Most of this story is written in first person from Luke’s pov, but the prologue and epilogue seem to be from Rob’s pov.

(view spoiler)
Amazonaute
Jan 02, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
Fairly quick DNF.

Basically .... naaaah.
A. Zukowski
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay! Loved the characters and Yorkshire Sculpture Park is one of my favourite places in the North of England. Bonus!
Lois
The best Holiday short-story of 2018. This was perfection.
Susan
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, sweet and occasionally humorous romance between two neuro-atypical young adults. As with most Davis/Stewart stories, the writing is beautiful and the tone is very hopeful despite both MC's obvious challenges. I especially liked the way Luke's father was portrayed; obviously Luke is always going to need extra support because of his autism and his dad is always there for him. Would love to read more about Luke and Rob as they negotiate their fledgling relationship and go back to college tog ...more
Anita
More poetry than novella, this lovely gem is about two guys who belong together. Luke, who is somewhere on the spectrum and Rob, an artist who suffers from debilitating depression meet when Rob is working on an art installation in the town near Luke's home. Loved their heartwarming story. Book starts off a little strange but stick with it. The best part of this book for me, though - DAD!! Luke's dad was the most accepting, caring and loving parent I've read recently. He supports Luke in everythi ...more
Leara
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
When I finished this book, I didn't know how to put my feelings into words. At first I was a little skeptical as I wasn't sure where it was going, but I quickly became enamored with the characters and invested in their story. I loved the relationship between Luke and his father. It absolutely felt genuine. The relationship between Luke and Rob was so sweet and vulnerable. I really appreciated the story being told from Luke's point of view. This book wasn't my usual choice but I am so glad I read ...more
Rhode
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly sweet and life affirming without being saccharine. Being inside these heroes’ heads is a delight. I enjoyed every second. Autism and depression rep.

Plus the father is awesome. And all other parents are alive, unlike most romances.
Steiner
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hated the prologue - I thought I had picked up the wrong book. After that I liked about the next 50% but it lost me towards the end.
Emma
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Turning Pages At ...: Up! by Al Stewart & Claire Davis (M/M Buddy Read) 20 18 Feb 24, 2019 06:06AM