Start by marking “Last Bus to Everland” as Want to Read:
Last Bus to Everland

Last Bus to Everland

Brody Fair feels like nobody gets him: not his overworked parents, not his genius older brother, and definitely not the girls in the projects set on making his life miserable. Then he meets Nico, an art student who takes Brody to Everland, a “knock-off Narnia" that opens its door at 11:21pm each Thursday for Nico and his band of present-day misfits and miscreants.
Published May 16th 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published May 14th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Last Bus to Everland, please sign up.
Sophie Cameron No, they're both standalone novels and aren't part of a series. I'm not sure why that's appeared on Goodreads now, but I've contacted them to have it…moreNo, they're both standalone novels and aren't part of a series. I'm not sure why that's appeared on Goodreads now, but I've contacted them to have it removed. Sorry for the confusion! (less)

Start your review of Last Bus to Everland
anna (readingpeaches)
rep: gay mc, gay li, gay, pan & lesbian side characters, hijabi side character, side character in wheelchair, side character with agoraphobia

such a wholesome little book!! not to be that guy, but this is what u get when basically all ur characters are gay

also i love kasia kowalewska, my btfl polish lesbian daughter

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
Kate (GirlReading)
A quietly magic, truly lovely story.

Despite it’s fantasy elements, this wonderful book felt so incredibly real. It brilliantly explores an array of topics, from sexuality to mental illness to poverty to academic pressures and features a wonderfully diverse cast (the MC is gay and poor with a father who is living with PTSD and agoraphobia. The love interest is Spanish and gay. There’s also a Polish lesbian side character, a hijabi SC, a Japanese SC, a latinx bi SC, a SC with an eating
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

Last Bus to Everland is a novel that, while it includes a portal fantasy world, is much more Contemporary than Fantasy and deals with a lot of friendship and family dynamics, that are all incredibly complex and well done.

“There's bravery in surviving this world when your mind can only focus on the bad in it.”

Everland, the portal fantasy world, is something that the characters consciously decide to go back to every week, mostly to escape the real world. The existence in/>
c,
I’m starting to feel like I could disappear, and they wouldn’t even notice.

On my blog.

Rep: gay mc, gay li, gay/pan/lesbian side characters, hijabi side character, side character in wheelchair, side character with agoraphobia

Galley provided by publisher

I sat down to write this review of Last Bus to Everland, but then I realised that I had no words to offer, only tears. So, I went away for a bit, thought it over, came back and I… still have no words, only tears. But we’re gonna give writing this a go anyhow./>Galley
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
*I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. This has not influenced my review.*

I loved how this book felt so realistic and genuine in terms of the characters' struggles and imperfections. They were a bunch of teens dealing with real teen problems---fitting in, figuring themselves out, being bullied, feeling upstaged by siblings, not being understood by parents, needing breaks from all the pressure, struggling with mental illness, having financial problems, havin/>
Melanie  Brinkman
Ignoring the monsters doesn't mean they disappear.

Brody doesn't feel like he truly belongs anywhere in this world. No one gets him: not his overworked parents, not his genius older brother, and especially not the kids at school who make his life miserable. But when Brody meets Nico, his life changes for the better. Nico takes Brody to a "knock-off Narnia" that opens its doors at exactly the same time every Thursday. There, amongst a group of fellow misfits, Brody finally feels at pea
Leigh Collazo
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Last Bus to Everland comes with three starred reviews and a Goodreads rating well over 4.0. I actually kind of hate when this happens. I expect so much from books that get this amount of praise. And yes, Last Bus to Everland was good. But was it GREAT? Meh. Possibly I expected to much; I certainly do that sometimes...

This is a snippet of a longer review from a secondary school librarian. To see the full review, along with content notes and whether I would buy this for my library, please read the ful
Kathy
Surprises can be a hit or a miss for me. Sometimes it's like sticking my hand in a mystery box and hoping nothing cuts my fingers off.

I came into Everland thinking it'd be a light and quirky story about a boy who goes to a magical world and discovers himself while befriending a band of misfits. Instead, I got something more quiet and poignant: a story about mental health and identity and what happens when life becomes too heavy to bear on your own.

So I think things worked out pretty wel
Sarah Mc
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a very long time since I’ve gobbled a book up so greedily. As I close the cover I can’t help but muse that, once again, a book that I so desperately needed to read fell into my lap at the exact point in my life that I needed to read it.

Sophie Cameron tells the story of a boy who, like the rest of us, is struggling to find his place in the world. Lost in feelings of inadequacy, fear of the future, and stressors of his complicated life, Brody is searching for what all of us
Ross Duffy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story with characters who steal your heart. At the beginning I didn’t think this was for me but as I read on, I actually really began to enjoy it. It is so imaginative and I loved its concept!
Beth
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I found Everland. I found my people." He smiles and gives my shoulder a little push. "And now you have, too."

When I started reading Last Bus to Everland I wasn't sure what I expected, maybe a light read about a boy who discovers a secret world where he can escape all of his real-life problems, and while at its heart that's what Last Bus to Everland was there were a lot of deeper parts to this book as well. Brody had a lot he was struggling with, but so did his family and his friends. We see them a
Paige
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
THIS BOOK MAKES ME SO SAD.
Hannah Witscher
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misti
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life's not going so great for Brody: his family is in financial difficulties, the neighborhood mean girls have picked him as their favorite target, and he'll never be as smart or important or appreciated as his genius brother James. One day, when the mean girls have kidnapped his beloved cat, he's unexpectedly rescued by a boy with enormous blue papier-mâché wings, Nico, who invites Brody to come to a specific place at a very specific time. Intrigued, Brody shows up, half expecting that he's bee ...more
Leah
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm absolutely a lover of fantasy. So when I saw Last Bus to Everland by Sophie Cameron on Netgalley, I knew that I had to give it a read.

When I first started reading it, actually, I was reading it out loud to my husband in the car. I read the first paragraph of this and another book and asked him which one sounded more interesting. We both agreed that Last Bus to Everland had a better hook!

Brody Fair seems to be your run-of-the-mill teenager. He feels overlooked, b
Nikki
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved the feel of this book - it’s sort of gently whimsical but still dealing with teenage life. Brody doesn’t feel like he fits in really, but finds Nico and Everland and begins to drift from his real life into the wonderful fantasy that is Everland.

Much like Cameron’s previous book, this is a perfect blend of contemporary and fantastical. Everland is the perfect foil to the reality of Brody’s rea
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In her second novel, Sophie Cameron tells the story of a boy named Brody who is being bullied at school and feels like an outcast in his own family, as he meets a mysterious boy called Nico and starts going to Everland with him- a magical world you can enter once a week where you be entirely yourself. This was such an interesting concept, and I enjoyed seeing it executed- the exploration of whether Everland is really all it seems was fascinating and I loved the way that going there helps Brody r ...more
Caren
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an arc of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

Let me start by saying, I really loved this book! I’m a big fan of a portal fantasy trope to begin with, but I was not expecting the complex cast of diverse characters I would find in these pages. While this book deals with a “knockoff Narnia”, the themes are much more mature. The author deftly explores a range of issues that so many deal with today. From LGBT characters coming into their own, a
Martyn Sanderson
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
goodbye no one need write another YA book ever again because this is perfection and i might have finished it half an hour ago but you bet your ass im still sobbing like a mad person.

sophie cameron, keep doing what ya doin girl, i will read anything you ever publish from now until the end of time because if this magnificent book

honestly no words can do justice so i’m not gonna try, just read this because it’s so special and magical and AHHH i’m crying again
Emma Ferrier

I adored this book.
I love Sophie Cameron's writing, I love her characters and stories and the fact her books are set in Edinburgh and practically mention my doorstep!
This filled me with so many emotions and maybe I'm just depressed af but this made me want to cry so many times and JUST UGH I LOVE BRODY AND TINK AND NICO AND KASIA AND JETT AND EVERYONE ELSE OK
Lisa Mcbroom
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Brody Fair is a misfit in life and his family. He is bullied at school and one day meets the engimatic Nico who invites him to Everland. There Brody finds his tribe. When the walls of Neverland begin to disappear , Brody must choose. I loved the Peter Pan references and how Everland was a metaphor for Brody finding his identity!
♠️ TABI ♠️
I'm already in love with this cover and would like to know the concept/blurb of this A S A P please
Samn
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautiful and so sad, omg I cried but I loved it! 😭💜
Toni
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So many emotional topics are handled in such a lovely way. Even with the magical elements, this story felt real. I will be thinking about this book for days.
Rebecca Crunden
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt-fiction

This was a lot more ... real than I expected. Like, I felt quite melancholy whilst reading it. Overall I did really like it, but I was holding out for a different ending. :(
J. Taylor
3.5 I really enjoyed this but it just didn't go deep enough or give enough explanation.
Cathy
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy
Actual rating for this is somewhere between 2-3 stars.

I read Sophie Cameron's Out of the Blue earlier this year and was absolutely blown away by it. It was easily one of my favorite books I read this year, though when I first began it, I didn't think that would happen. Last Bus to Everland, on the other hand, had the opposite effect on me...

The story follows Brody, a British teen in high school who is made fun of by the mean girls in his class for being gay. His father has a
Jen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’ve not yet read Sophie Cameron’s debut novel, Out of the Blue, then you won’t know what a magical treat you’re in for. With her second novel, Last Bus to Everland, Sophie has once again delivered an emotional, realistic, contemporary novel, full of love, hope, and magic.

The novel is set in Scotland as well as a magical Narnia-esque place, and delivers its story with such a light touch, while still reaching deep into some serious issues. The way the story deals with bullying is
ranði
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
3.5
How can a book so magical and and so lighthearted deal with such important topics and discuss them in a such a simple and easy way.
I loved the mentions of agoraphobia and financial issues, having trouble fitting in and bullying, sacrificing for others and dealing with heartbreak and grief. This magical little book spoke of so many things that relate to every day life and problems we all face some way.
It’s as if Everland never existed but it did, and I take it Everland is that sparkle
Brody is a misfit, a victim of bullying who will never live up to the standards set by his older brother, Jake. Still, he plods along, trying avoid the bullies and pass his classes with the help of his best friend Megan. When his cat Tinker Bell is taken by a couple of bullies, Brody chases them into an unfamiliar neighborhood where he and Tink are rescued by Nico. Brody is immediately taken with Nico and when Nico invites him to a place called Everland, Brody can't refuse. It turns out that Eve ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Alex in Wonderland
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • Deposing Nathan
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • Wild and Crooked
  • The Boy and Girl Who Broke the World
  • Hold My Hand (One Man Guy, #2)
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Heartstream
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Destroy All Monsters
Sophie Cameron is a YA author from the Black Isle, Scotland. Her first novel OUT OF THE BLUE is published by Macmillan Children's Books in the UK and Roaring Brook Press in the US. She lives in Barcelona with her wife, works as a copywriter, and spends her time reading, trying to play the banjo, and learning foreign languages.