Start by marking “Last Chance Rodeo” as Want to Read:
Last Chance Rodeo

Read Book* *Different edition

Last Chance Rodeo

(Blackfeet Nation #1)

Kari Lynn Dell marries thrilling rodeo action with raw authenticity in this groundbreaking new book set on the Blackfeet Reservation, Montana.

David Parsons was on a straight shot to the top of professional rodeo until one thoughtless moment lost him everything. Now that his beloved horse has been found on the Blackfeet Reservation, he can finally get his life back together
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published February 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Rodeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance Rodeo

Alison
Rodeo star David Parsons had success within his grasp, then a night of minor indulgence results in disaster. Four years later he's hit rock bottom and is a long way on the path to dragging himself back to being a contender but without his champion horse Muddy he can't reach the heights he did previously. Then a friend calls and says he's seen Muddy. For the first time in four years David feels optimistic until he meets Muddy's new owners.

I really like Mira Lynn Dell's novels, not too schmaltzy,
Glenda Kinard
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! What an emotional packed book!! Kari Lynn Dell is one talented gifted writer! This book was amazing. I loved how she took up subjects few authors venture out into. When I get asked again to name a book that profoundly touched your heart the answer without hesitation will definitely be The Long Ride Home by Kari Lynn Dell. I love the fact that this book was more than a romance it covered so many things. Especially loved how she wrote a true to life aspect of what life is like for some Nativ ...more
Tonya Lucas
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever had that one horse or special pet, that was so amazing, beyond comprehension? That one companion you never dreamed would no longer be by your side? You were a team, destined for greatness. Until all was lost.
David Parson has it all, the best roping horse, drawing checks with every run, and a shot at the NFR. Muddy, a small brown gelding and nothing special to look at, but man can he start, stop, and get back, a ropers dream.
The Long Road Home, I can't put into words how moving, c
Linda
I'll say up front I am not a reader of romance books; The Long Ride Home is a romance book of sorts but it is so much more. Kari Lynn Dell knows of what she writes and immediately draws the reader in with a vivid description of a rodeo cowboy and his horse during a calf roping event. You'll feel as though you are sharing the ride. As the story progresses the author takes the reader to the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in north central Montana and captures with a sure knowledge the land,the people ...more
Linda Broday
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book about a cowboy's struggle to get his roping horse back. Even after he finds who has it, getting it from the boy rips his heart out. Things aren't always black and white and love isn't always easy to hold onto. An excellent story that will tug at your heart.
Marissa
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Autograph Copy Win

Four years ago, David Parsons seemed to have it all. A promising rodeo career, a pretty fiancée until his horse goes missing one evening. Everything changed quickly as his luck turned as he still searches for his horse Muddy.
When a sighting of Muddy appears in a Montana’s Blackfeet Indian Reservation, he goes an investigate the scene. Finding it to be his beloved Muddy, his reunion turns to be complicated as he cannot just swoop in and take back his beloved horse.

Mudd
Eileen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars This was such a pleasure to read and enjoy. You follow the low point in David Parsons life, as he loses his horse and has to struggle back up as a tie-down roper working the rodeo circuit. 4 years later he finds his horse again but things are complicated by the owner and his guardian aunt. He's upfront that he wants the horse back but it isn't easy to tear it away from a young man who needs the horse more so than David.
we see him struggle with what to do, what's right for everyone and
Laurie Lamb
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured romances when I was a teenager. Over the years, I drifted away to thrillers. Kari Lynn Dell has brought me back with The Long Ride Home. This story is like that pretty pony in the stable that you give your apple core to instead of your own horse. It's endearing and smart. It gets your attention and holds it. Much like that pony with its earnest expression and tufted pricked ears staring down that apple. But behind those soulful brown eyes is a cunning mind. Kari had me wondering what ...more
Linda Grimes
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Long Ride Home was a pure pleasure to read. I grew up in Texas, which means I absorbed an appreciation for rodeos by osmosis. I never participated in one myself (my riding was of a much more subdued sort), but the excitement of reading about them takes me back anyway. I've known (and been thrown off of) a few horses like Muddy in my day, so that struck a chord with me, too. Add to that the touching romance that develops between David and Mary, and I was sucked right in. (And, okay, one of th ...more
Lee Clark
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Page Turner read!

Kari Lynn Dell has put together a story of romance, of thriller, and of fist throwing mystery that keeps the reader dying to turn to the last chapter to see how it ends. luckily I read it on a kindle and don't know how to perform the task. Does the cowboy get the girl? the author doesn't let you have any idea until she's made you read every sentence in every chapter. Keep writing Kari. can hardly wait for the next one. Recommended to any reader who enjoys personalizing the ch
Fiona Lowe

This book is a romance with a difference. Written entirely from the hero's point of view, we follow David the cowboy and rodeo champion through a low phase of his life as he fights to get his horse back. Set in the grassy plains of Montana with the spectacular Rocky Mountains in the background, this book is sweet and the romance a slow build. Kari Lynn Dell's writing is smooth and evocative. If you love a cowboy romance and fabulous rodeo descriptions you'll enjoy this novel.

Disclaimer: the auth
Laura Drake
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like my romances 'real' - real emotion, real people, in real situations. This book dealt that in spades. You can tell the author knows about rodeo, and the beautiful country that is the book's setting. Really enjoyed it being told from a man's point of view - that was refreshing.

It wasn't just a sappy romance - there were real problems, from drought, to Down's and Childhood alcohol syndrome, to the problems of being raised on 'the rez'.

A book that will stick with me. I highly recommend it.
Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo
Another great read from Kari Lynn Dell. Kari Lynn has such an awesome writing skill at describing everything her characters are doing and seeing as well as the surrounding landscape so that you can picture everything in your head like your watching a movie.

One of my favorite things about this book is that it involves a special needs young man and his daily struggles and frustration of his situation. This is the first book I've read that has a character that suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome
Maria
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
- Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review -
“Last Chance Rodeo”, by Kari Lynn Dell, features two people dealing with real, serious issues, reminding us that beyond romance novels and the American Dream there’s a lot of hardships to face and overcome.
I loved both David and Mary as individuals but I didn’t really feel their chemistry as a romantic couple. David is a great hero and the celibacy makes him an even more human and attractive character. Mary is a scarred soul, with
Jerri
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Parsons wins your heart in this one. Muddy gets lost to be found in the arms of a boy that he cannot take from. Sparks fly with the boy's mother. Read to find out how this one evolves. You will not be disappointed in Kari Lynn Dell's resolutions.
Book Gannet
4.5 stars! This book was lovely, emotional and sweet. David is adorable – a fine, upstanding young cowboy, who’s been through a lot in the last four years and still feels so much guilt over his failure to take proper care of Muddy. I just loved him and the way he was, not to mention his belief in the rodeo gods looking down on him from above – even if they were mostly laughing at him.

Another thing I really liked about this book was that it really was about rodeo riding. Too often I read books wi
Casey Dawes
Kari Lynn Dell captures the heart and soul of the rez in this debut novel. I taught in Browning for three years, so I'm quite familiar with the problems and beauty of the area. More than a love story between two people, this book shows the true meaning of what family is and how it can grow more inclusive. I loved the realistic interaction between the characters, the details about calf-roping, and the ability to completely immerse myself in that world.
Ali Trotta
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely lovely book. The characters are wonderfully fleshed out, and there's a lot of humor. The relationships are easy to connect to, even to people who have no experience with the horse world. I really loved the backstory of each person, which is slowly revealed. Truly an excellently written book. Looking forward to reading more for Dell.
Jen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! I rarely give a book 5 stars, but I really felt that this book was deserving of that rating. I recently discovered Kari Lynn Dell and after finishing all the Texas Rodeo books, I was anxious to start another series by her.

I didn't realize when I started reading the book that the author was actually a member of the Blackfeet Nation. I knew that the things she wrote about were factual (like how county/state law enforcement doesn't have jurisdiction over tribal law enfor
Sandie Lee Bohlig
Probably best writer rider to steer around the page corner of historical fiction in a long time

Dell was accurate in all her facts, including about Meriwether Lewis and Clark and The Blackfeet Horse Thieves and about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and about many things to lengthy to go into here about Rodeo and The Blackfeet... Most important... I was at the edge of my seat the whole time and stayed up way too late.... Book really grabs you and shakes its head like Muddy in person.... Or should I say lik
Margie
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Parsons was on his way to participating in the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas when he made a major mistake. He was riding high with his rodeo calf roping success when he neglected to secure his valuable, very talented horse, Muddy at the end of the rodeo in Cody, Wyoming. Muddy broke loose during the fireworks, ran like the devil was on his tail and then disappeared. A few years later David got a tip about seeing Muddy at the Montana State High School Rodeo Finals. Yep! It was Muddy al ...more
Madm007
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Journey with so much personality💚💙
All I can say is I was there for the whole emotionally charged ride and loved every minute.
There's heart and soul poured into this, touching on life's realities whether they're good or gritty. The settings and events very well described to easily imagine every scene, right down to Muddy's mannerisms, or him shooting out of the box.
David, an old soul cowboy, thru bizarre circumstances, which some would call fate, meets Mary. They both get put to the tests of t
Pelusa Rivera
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story is about a horse, yes and no. The story starts with David Parsons and he seems to have it all, and then his hose goes missing and he loses it all his luck seems to have changed. On a quest to find Muddy he hears that he is a reservation and when he goes to find it he ends finding more than just his horse Muddy. And then the story really begins there is heartbreak, lots of feeling and learning of others and acceptance..The story was not what I thought but it was a lot and goodness..

Rcvd
Cat Kelley
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here's a story I'd follow for years to come. I want to see Kylan achieve his heart's desire to win! I'd like to see David win at Nationals and marry Mary. Maybe someday a series?

Each character in this story was well-developed and added to the story-line in a way there was no doubt of where they stood. Fetal alcohol syndrome is a serious problem and while Ms. Dell handled it with care, it was an intrinsic part of the story. Honest cowboys with values is, indeed, something to behold. Good job, Kat
Renee
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters and their personalities in this book. I thought the storyline was a little drawn out towards the beginning of the book. I was glad to see that all worked out for Mary, David, and Kylan. I wish there was an epilogue to this story to see how things worked out in the near future for the three of them. Overall, I’m glad I read this book and would recommend it to fellow readers.

*I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving my review.
Kim Vanravenswaay
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was expecting Mary's nephew to be a young child. He's an 18 year old with fetal alcohol syndrome. Mary does baby him and treat him a lot younger than he is. She really does work on that though so I got to give that to her. David is the one that helps her to see this. The relationship that David and her nephew, Kylan have is wonderful. We actually see more of David and Kylan together than we do of David and Mary.
June Rodgers
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for a wonderful book.

I fell in love with Kari Lynn Dell,s writing when I read her Montana Rodeo series and this book delivers the same great qualities. Great characters and strong storylines. I would recommend this to anyone who loves romance,friends and family.
Donald Wold
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feeling back home again.

I was raised in Glacier County and really enjoyed spending time in my childhood backyard reading this book. Enjoyed reading.
Sara
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. The characters were great who had some struggles but grew and overcame them. I particularly enjoyed how David and Kylan’s friendship progressed.
Dana Wayne
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read! Loved the characters, the story and the setting. I love stories that make me feel what the characters feel and this one did that for me. Loved it! Highly Recommended!

• Sunny Days Ahead (The Cowboys of Black Mountain)
  • Must Love Horses (Lazy S Ranch, #2)
  • The Last Best Place: A Montana Anthology
  • The Indian Lawyer
  • Montana Legacy (McCords, #1)
  • The Surrounded
  • The Sweet Spot (Sweet on a Cowboy, #1)
  • Born to Run (North Oak, #1)
  • The Right Side of Mr Wrong
  • Letters from Yellowstone
  • Sparked by Love: A Holiday for Romance
  • Showdown (Red Rock Ranch #2)
  • The Love of a Lawman (Callister, #3)
  • Samphire Song
  • Maverick Heart
  • Healing the Forest Ranger (The Forest Rangers #5)
  • Cold Tea on a Hot Day (Valentine, #3)
  • Jake (Devils on Horseback, #2)
Kari Lynn Dell is a native of north central Montana, a third generation ranch-raised cowgirl, horse trainer and rodeo competitor, most recently the 2017 Canadian Senior Pro Rodeo Breakaway Roping season champion. She attended her first rodeo at two weeks old and has existed in a state of horse-induced poverty ever since. She currently resides on the family ranch on the Blackfeet Reservation, loite ...more