Start by marking “The Giving House” as Want to Read:
The Giving House

The Giving House

Harriet Jareck is dying. Cancer snakes through her brain, eradicating her short-term memory and her ability to recognize faces. It’s not looming death that scares her—she’s had a long life on the farm she loves. What she fears most is dying before she’s been forgiven for her worst sin. She’s dedicated her life to repenting for that sin, but she worries that it’s not ...more
Published October 31st 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Giving House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giving House

Start your review of The Giving House
Cody Sexton
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
As Harriet Jareck lies dying, cancer capriciously undulating it’s way through her dementia addled brain, she can't let go of a memory that has haunted her for most of her adult life. Her greatest fear is that she will die before she can share this memory and hopefully be forgiven for the transgression it contains. But her time is short and who will listen?
People, throughout time, have often wondered how to go about confessing their sins. Do they need to wait for an appointed time or go to a
Audra Watts
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it

Cleanliness: Disgusting (25+ curse words. Other content to consider: cancer, abuse, religion, stillbirth, implied sex, two descriptive rape scenes, adultery, and death.)

This is a very intriguing book. The whole story is a flashback told by a guilty narrator who is dying of brain cancer. She simply wants to confess her biggest sin to anyone who will listen.

The Giving Houseis packed full of intense scenes and difficult topics. It was disturbing, but
D.A. Henneman
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story got me thinking about secrets and the layers in our lives that can sometimes hide them from the ones closest to us. Not every one of our personal stories is known as well by others as it is known by our own minds, but what if there was a secret you could no longer keep? A secret that you didn’t want your family to know, but in the end, was so painful that you would reveal it to anyone?

That is what happened to Harriet, who was at the end of her life and was desperate to find
Paula Joyce
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madelyn March does here what she does best -- a story about an ordinary person coping with a dark secret. This time it's a woman subjected to spousal abuse. It's difficult to look at and Ms. March doesn't spare us from the worst of it, but our heroine's inspirational journey makes it worth the effort. Harriett refuses to be defeated by her misfortunes and you can't help but cheer for her. Other reviewers said this book was predictable, but I didn't find that. There are many points in the story ...more
Linda Grischy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Harriet lies in her bed dying, she can't shake the memory that has haunted her for years. Her greatest fear is that she will die before she can share her story, before she can be forgiven, before someone will understand what actually happened. Great story, skillfully told.
Mary Ann
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Giving House by Madelyn March is a 4.5 out of 5 read! This novel entwines the story of dying with a tale of regret. Lovely, touching, believable characters! Have a tissue handy as you enter this story!
Christine Nisbet
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is cleverly written. It is an example of how guilt can overcome you even if you really have nothing to feel guilty about. We have all been there in one way or another. Harriet was very brave! She really had no choice but to do what she did. I felt sad for Kate.
Kimberley
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply moving & spiritual

A beautiful tale of a life, regrets, love, and forgiveness. Deeply moving and meaningful. It was captivating and I read it through with little pause. I'm sure it's messages will likely linger.
Kimberly
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this new novel by Madelyn March. In fact, I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish it. It is a very compelling, thoughtful story. What, if anything, will haunt us until our last breath. Read “The Giving House” to find out.
Sharon
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, giveaways-won
Beautiful, wonderful, heartfelt story. Recommended 5 star read.
Kathy Webb
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this Kindle edition book in a GoodReads giveaway - thank you to everyone involved!!
This is a story of life, love and forgiveness - a great and well written story - I highly recommend!!
Linda Rea
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was not at all what I thought it was but I found myself absorbed by it right away and it continued till the very end.
Mary
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept my interest throughout
Carrie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you.
Linda Lown
Heather
Teresa
PattiAnn Polit
Nov 03, 2018

• The Unwinding of the Miracle: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After
  • The Last Dream
  • Beauchamp Hall
Madelyn March lives in the world of books. By day, she can be found teaching children to read books or writing one of her novels. By night, she's often immersed in the world of a book. In-between those times, she often daydreams about story ideas. She is fascinated with the power of a story to share the human experience in all its complexity.

Nature often plays an important part in Madelyn’s