Start by marking “Nightingale Point” as Want to Read:
Nightingale Point

Nightingale Point

One ordinary day. One extraordinary event. Their lives changed forever.

On an ordinary Saturday morning in 1996, the residents of Nightingale Point wake up to their normal lives and worries.

Mary has a secret life that no one knows about, not even Malachi and Tristan, the brothers she vowed to look after.
Malachi had to grow up too quickly. Between looking after Tristan and n
Published July 25th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Nightingale Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightingale Point

Start your review of Nightingale Point
Paromjit
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Luan Goldie writes a remarkable piece of contemporary fiction for her memorable debut set on a London estate where the lifts don't work in 1996. She skilfully immerses the reader into the lives of a small and diverse group of characters prior to a horrifying nightmare of a tragedy hits them and the local community. Goldie has drawn on true real life catastrophes to explore the repercussions and challenges for individuals in the group, the difficulties in moving on, the intense sense of grief and ...more
Whispering Stories
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Saturday 4th May 1996, Morpeth Estate London. Home to three tower blocks including Nightingale Point. Within Nightingale Point lives twenty-one-year-old Malachi and his younger fifteen-year-old brother Tristan who live alone after their mum died and their Grandmother deemed them old enough to look after themselves.

There is nurse of over thirty-three years Mary who is waiting for her husband David to return from one of his long jaunts abroad searching for
Nadia
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
L A i N E Y ~back in a bit~
“But it’s hard, isn’t it? There’s always so much to deal with. It never ends. Getting out of the building should have been the hardest thing we had to do. But sometimes it feels like that was only the start”

I wrote this down “Finished with huge loaded sigh” on my phone.

This is a devastating book, based on a devastating real event when a plane crashed into a residential building in the middle of the day. The author handled the relationships really well across the board. We got diversity in our ca
Louise Wilson
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's 1996. There's a neglected tower block of flats. The residents get along in relative harmony. There are a few exceptions to the rule. We get to know some of them before the tragedy strikes.

The book draws on real life events that happened in Amsterdam and London. I don't want to say to much about it as I would spoil it for other readers. I couldn't stop thinking about this story long after I put the book down. It's a story of hope and despair. We see the events that unfold through different
Hannah
Following six different perspectives around the events of a semi-fictional tragedy, I could not properly make sense of the why of this story – why did the author need this particular tragedy to tell the story? Why is the tone so glib when the events are so tragic? Is this supposed to be a story about a community or about a tragedy?

My thoughts on this are complicated: while I thought there were chapters and scenes that really worked, there were also vast stretches that I could not get interested
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

One ordinary day. One extraordinary event. Their lives changed forever.

Nightingale Point is a book that shows the aftermath of a terrible disaster. A story about many people's lives, how this event changed them and their recovery and grief.

BEFORE

The book starts with giving us a brief description of people living in two neighboring buildings. We get to know their daily routines, their worries and hopes. We get a glimpse of their everyday
Bookread2day
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review on my website. www.bookread2day.wordpress.com

The author Luan Goldie has based Nightingale point on the devastating carnage of on the 4th October 1992 a cargo plane crashed into two high rise flats in Bijlmer, Amsterdam, killing up to forty seven people.

Also Nightingale point brings into another yet devastating event when the Grenfell Towers burned down in our own country, where most very sadly the people felt they were not being listened to.

Nightingale point is a fictional place, you
Barbara
This is Luan Goldie’s first novel. She is “an emerging young writer of color”, who is a primary school teacher in England, and her novel is on the 2020 Women’s Prize for Fiction long list.

The novel tells the story of a working-class community on a housing estate in London. Nightingale Point, one of several buildings on this estate, experiences a major tragedy. Goldie has created a compelling cast of diverse characters including Mary, a nurse, originally from the Philippines; Malachi and Tristan,
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Not terrible, but not one I'd really recommend to anyone - an average to forgettable story set in London in 1996 but based on the story of the 1992 Bijlmeer crash involving El Al Flight 1862. Definitely more of a book club vibe than literary fiction: the storyline is quite predictable, the characters a little one-note, the writing nothing to rave about. I'd classify it in the school of books like Three Hours which I expect many will enjoy but didn't live up to the hype for me due to the total la ...more
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Every year, the Women’s Prize for Fiction longlists something that I find bafflingly bad, and this year, I’m pretty confident that prize goes to Luan Goldie’s Nightingale Point. This novel, set in the mid-1990s and early 2000s, is told principally from six different first-person perspectives, with a seventh tossed in at the very end for no good reason. Its narrators are linked by the run-down London block of flats where they live, Nightingale Point, and by the traumatic tragedy that occurs one h ...more
Gumble's Yard
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this book due to its longlisting for the 2020 Women’s Prize. It is the debut novel by a schoolteacher and previous winner of the Costa Prize short-story award.

The author has a Dutch husband and the book was inspired by the Bijlmerramp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Al_F...), gaining extra resonance with the Grenfell Towers disaster.

The story is set on the eponymous East London high rise housing estate, starting in May 1996 and is told in the present tense (and after an introductory cha
Stephen
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting novel based on a real events but changed location. Enjoyed how the novel looked at relationships and the process of grief and loss after a tragic event.
Louise Savidge
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and uplifting. I simply loved the characters and am really missing them all already.
Bookworm89
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
You will know the old adage is 'Don't judge a book by it's cover..'

Although I never. It is definitely part of what drew me in wanting to read this book.

Once I read the blurb I was even more interested.

The story is from multiple POV's and this technique now quite common works with some stories better than others, on this it is definitely a plus.

It is about several residents living together in a multi-storey flat, who go about their own lives as normal until one day a tragedy strikes.

This affect
Lucy Banks
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

An engrossing, thought-provoking examination of what happens after catastrophe - how communities come together, and pull apart.

This was another of those books that I went into with absolutely no idea what to expect. The front cover certainly wasn't giving anything away! Sometimes, those are the most fun books of all - the ones you begin with no preconceptions, then end up heartily enjoying.

The Plot

Nightingale Point is a 'typical' b
Indieflower
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thought provoking story of a disastrous event that occurs in a London tower block in 1996, drawing on real tragedies that happened in Amsterdam and London. Full of interesting characters, it deals with how people cope in the aftermath of such a devastating event, how we as humans feel compelled to analyse the before, the after and perhaps the most heart breaking of all, the what-ifs. Very sad yet uplifting too.
Carly Findlay
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible book, based on the true story of a plane that hit two public housing towers in Amsterdam, and a tribute to the Grenfell Tower residents in London.

The story began in 1996, and spanned five years. It focused on a number of residents in a public housing tower in England - known as Nightingale Point. It was a story of how their lives changed when a plane hit the tower block, including their recovery. The characters were diverse.

The character development and interactions were
Liz Barnsley
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written and so so emotional story here from Luan Goldie- a genuinely insightful piece of storytelling that digs deep into your soul.

The residents of Nightingale Point are diverse and authentic, engaging and intriguing- the minutiae of their days, their relationships to each other and themselves, the very heart of community pops from the page – the author sets the scene with clever nuance, descriptive sense and no wasted words, embedding them into your consciousness- then throws an
Georgia
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, shelf
More on Chill and read

"Nightingale Point" first drew my attention because it was longlisted in the Women's Prize for Fiction award in 2020. Then, as I read the storyline, I knew it was going to be a very interesting read. Therefore I went and bought it! And I don't regret that decision even for a moment! It is an amazing story that deserves all the attention it has gotten!

Nightingale Point is a building complex where one can find all sorts of people. Those that the story evolves around are peopl

Novelle Novels
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 out of 5 stars
In no way am I surprised that this was up for an award as it’s written so powerfully that you really care about the people in it. Set in the 1990’s in a tower block we meet very different people and they are put together in close quarters that their lives are all interlinked. When a disaster happens it affects them all and we see them recovering. This really impacted me and made me cry which is a real talent.
Jonathan Pool
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Synopsis

A plane crashes into a residential tower block (Nightingale Point is one of a cluster of blocks on a housing estate). The time frame is not explicitly spelled out, though reference to the IRA indicates 1980s/1990s. The consequences for the immediate community of such a calamitous, apocalyptic, event are explored from five different family perspectives. As you would imagine its a time of deep reflection, and of guilt.
In all the book covers a period which traces the rebuilding of lives fro
Lydia Bailey
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this despite a harrowing story line. Very well written from multiple viewpoints & you really get under the skin of each character. It certainly made me think about what the poor residents of Grenfell Towers & the Amsterdam tower block air crash disaster went through. I did particularly enjoy the first third of the book & the minutiae of people’s lives.
Rachel Hall
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
A disappointment.. workmanlike prose, hit and miss characterisation and very drawn-out.

After being longlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction 2020 the reality of Nightingale Point was a huge disappointment and given the novel is centred around a tragedy with life-changing consequences it feels crass to say I found it prosaic and a slog to stick with. Inspired by a cargo plane crashing into a high-rise block of flats in Amsterdam in 1992 and inadvertently referencing the Grenfell Tower fire of
Jenny Cooke (Bookish Shenanigans)
This was fine but how it made the Women's Prize longlist I will never understand. ...more
Mariam Ramzan
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just loved it! Touches on so many issues and you can’t help but draw a parallel to Grenfell. Touches on so many issues around race, class, young carers, mental health and disability. A wonderful read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope it makes it to the shortlist for the women’s prize for fiction. Can’t wait to read more of her work.
Julia
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for so much more from this book than I did. I thought the build up was quite slow but then the huge incident happened which seemed to beggar belief, but you find out later on that the book is semi based on true stories. It seemed to skim over the characters too, not giving them much depth. The book was readable, but nothing special in my opinion.
↠Ameerah↞
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
"While the characters in Nightingale Point are fictional, the spirit that drives each one is based on those from the Bijlmer, who rebuilt their lives after losing everything. It is also a tribute to those from Grenfell Tower, who continue their fight."

-Luan Goldie, 2018

Taking the tragedies of Bijlmer (Amsterdam '92) and Grenfell Tower and creating a fictional story of how the residents of Nightingale Point, a run-down tower block, go about living their ordinary lives before a devastating traged
Brett Benner
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
In October of 1992 in Bijlmer, Amsterdam, a cargo plane crashed into two high rise blocks of flats killing up to forty seven people. That incident and the survivors aftermath are what seeded the story of “Nightingale Point”, a recent long listed book for the 2020 Woman’s Prize for Fiction.
Told with emotional restraint, first time novelist Luan Goldie follows five residents of the ill fated building the morning leading up to the tragedy:
There’s Pamela, a young girl who’s recently moved back in
Robert
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve stated quite a few times that I am a fan of books with multiple narratives. I think it’s great when seemingly unconnected destinies cross. In theory Nightingale Point should be a book I’d embrace but … well we’ll get into that.

The book is about a handful of characters who live in the apartment block Nightingale Point ; There’s Elvis, who as a disability, Mary who has an affair and is taking care of two teenagers, and a girl who loves one of the teenagers. In the first part of the book they
The Mookse and th...: 2020 Women's Prize Longlist: Nightingale Point 8 60 Apr 26, 2020 09:06AM

• How We Disappeared
  • The Glittering Hour
  • Mr. Loverman
  • Silver Sparrow
  • Who They Was
Luan Goldie is a Glasgow born author and primary school teacher who grew up in East London.

Her debut novel Nightingale Point was longlisted for the 2020 Women’s Prize for Fiction and the Royal Society of Literature Ondaatje Prize. It was also a BBC Radio 2 Jo Whiley Book Club Pick.

Her short stories have appeared in Resist: Stories of Uprising and The Good Journal. She is also the winner of the 20

News & Interviews