Start by marking “Victoria (What Hides Within #2)” as Want to Read:
Victoria (What Hides Within #2)

Victoria (What Hides Within #2)

Victoria Menard has had a hard life. She’s an orphan and a thief… and perhaps even a murderer. Worst of all, her only friend is a talking spider named Chester that lives in her head.

For the last eight years, Victoria and Chester have traveled the world, seeing the sights, learning half a dozen languages, and terrorizing communities indiscriminately. Now sixteen, Victoria
Published December 20th 2018 by Bloodshot Books

To ask other readers questions about Victoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victoria

Start your review of Victoria (What Hides Within #2)
Frank Errington
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Victoria is set just a few years in the future, but it really began when Victoria Menard was just a little girl and she made a friend. Her name was Chester.

"My friend is gone now...sort of, because I always feel her presence. She hasn't spoken to me in many years but in a way, she will always be with me."

Orphaned at seven, her uncle dies as well and passes his affliction on to her, a spider who promises friendship and adventure. Chester comes to live in her ear and teaches her everyth
The Scary Reviews
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
A good expansion on the series, but I liked the first book better. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1KH ...more
Red Lace Reviews
Victoria Menard has never been alone, even when her mother died of cancer and her father committed suicide, she has always had a peculiar friend. Or so she thought. Now sixteen and questioning the motive of her long-time mentor, Victoria has many decisions to make, including where to put her trust. Chester, the spider with all the answers, seems to be hiding something.

(WARNING: This review contains MAJOR spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I thank Erin Sweet Al-Mehai
Steve Stred
** Edited to update. After some discussion, I decided to post this independently**

Victoria is a stand-alone tale from the What Hides Within world from the previous novel from Jason Parent. I haven’t read any of Jason’s works prior to this, but I do have They Feed, which I am excited to dive into here in the near future.

From what I understand, you don’t need to have read What Hides Within to read Victoria.
Truthfully, I felt a little lost at the beginning with the two voices going back and forth,
Jim Coniglio
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just a quick note to the readers. This story takes place in the same shared universe as Jason's 2017 novel WHAT HIDES WITHIN, but you do not need to have read it to enjoy this story. VICTORIA is a stand-alone story. I would recommend picking up WHAT HIDES WITHIN for more spidery goodness.

I have never had a problem with spiders like a lot of people. If they leave me alone, then I will do the same for them. But spiders living in your head, and intelligent speaking spiders at that, well that's a wh
Alicia Freeman
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chester is a spider that lives in Victoria's head and controls everything she does. Victoria wants to get rid of him but how without him knowing? Finding others like her is key, but that's if she can get to them. Action packed, face paced, jaw dropping creepy crawlies will have you begging for more. Jason Parent is amazing!
Veronica
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poor Victoria Menard is an orphan but she is not alone. She hears voices in her head....well, literally one particular voice. She has a "friend" in her head who speaks to her and helps her in her "chosen" career of thieving. The kicker is that the voice is not imaginary but belongs to a spider named Chester who is not actually a spider but is using the form of one....for now. I don't like to give spoilers away but think along the line of H.P. Lovecraft and you might get a slight hint about Victo ...more
MJ miranda_c_rites
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although Victoria is What Hides Within #2, the second book in a series, it is a stand alone book.

Victoria is a young woman who has been an orphan most of her life, but she hasn’t necessarily been alone. At a very young age, Victoria was infected with a parasite. Chester is a spider living inside Victoria’s head. Chester isn’t any ordinary spider. She is an intelligent, endangered species who has taught Victoria to steal, fight, fend for herself, and to kill.

Chester needs to get her way and doe
Janalyn
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-book-ever
The unexpected part 2.

The one thing you cannot say about my new favorite author Jason Parent is that he is predictable. Because, you would be wrong. After reading his first book “What hides within,” I was a little apprehensive about reading book to. Well to be honest I was apprehensive and anxious at the same time. I was apprehensive because I worried it wouldn’t be as good as the first one, because I really enjoyed the first book. And anxious because I so wanted to find out what happened and b
Jennifer Olivas
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Skin crawling fun!

Just the thought of having some evil spider in your head is enough to keep you up at night. Can you imagine having an evil spider in your head that can control you, and even kill you, if you don't go along with the plan? Well, that is exactly the relationship between Chester the spider and Victoria the girl. Victoria is not the most decent person, but you end up feeling bad for her being in this situation. Victoria wants to get Chester out of her head and Chester wants to find
Brian
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, Victoria, you stubborn little twat, even when you deny me, you play right into my hand.

Well, if I had hands.

SPIDERS.
Yep. Most people don’t like them. Some, even at the bare mention of one, try to climb the walls in the opposite direction like they were born with eight legs themselves. Me? I fall somewhere in-between- as long as I can tell what type of spider I’m dealing with… I just kind of cautiously watch with morbid fascination and then ignore.

Until one falls on me, according to my wife.
Horror DNA
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tony-jones
I’m usually suspicious of books which are part of a series but we’re told can also be read as standalone novels. Victoria, the sort of sequel to What Hides Within, has been advertised in such a way. I had not read the predecessor, so embarked upon Victoria without knowing too much about it except for the fact it features a rather unpleasant spider. I was delighted to find out this genuinely is a standalone story and could be enjoyed without knowing much about the previous book, and neither is it ...more
Christopher
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-amazon
Wow, that was a dark - and rushed - ending. I do like how it both ends the series but also leaves enough strands dangling to justify a third book.

Also wow at the two months it took to read. It didn't really, I just had a lot going on that put a lot of roadblocks in the way.
Cath
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the What Hides Within series. It might have helped make the book more sense at the start of reading book two if I had read the first book in the series, before starting this one. I found it very confusing to figure out who Chester was and what was happening. Once you got into the book it was a lot clearer. It still confused me that Chester was a ‘she’, when that name is more masculine to me, which didn’t help either.

The main character is a sixteen year old girl who is
Sherry Fundin
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has been eight years since Chester moved into Victoria’s head. How’s that for creepy?

Victoria can be read as a stand alone novel, but I love Jason Parent’s wicked mind and do recommend What Hides Within, where I met Victoria for the first time.

“It’s wonderful to be back with Chester and Victoria,” I say facetiously.

I DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS…but I love reading about them for that very reason.

At times I felt terrible for Victoria, at other times she had me cracking up as she talked, sarcastically,
Brian Bogart
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

Well, if I had hands.

SPIDERS.

Until one falls on me, according to my wife.
Kimberly
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Victoria by Jason Parent is an action-packed battle between good and evil filled with delicious, unexpected plot twists. The main character, Victoria, lost her parents at the age of seven. The vulnerable little girl became host to a small spider called Chester who used Victoria to search tirelessly for other “Chesters” in the world. At first I thought maybe Chester wasn’t real, that she was an imaginary friend generated as a response to the trauma of losing her parents. But no - Chester is reall ...more
Melanie Pierce
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good writing. Kept me glued. I read it for a review and really enjoyed it! Looking to read more by the author.
Corrinne
Feb 07, 2019
Doug
Jan 10, 2019
Cathryn McLaughln
rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2020
Jason Parent
Dec 21, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shari-amor

• The Girl Who Hid in the Trees
  • Lost Highways: Dark Fictions From the Road
  • The Faithful
  • The House by the Cemetery
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • Devouring Dark
  • Glimpse
  • Black Wings
  • The Same Deep Water as You
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • Dead Clown Barbecue
  • The Window
  • Blister
In his head, Jason Parent lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso.

In a prior life, Jason spent most of his time in front of a judge . . . as a civil litigator. When he