Start by marking “The Space Between Worlds” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,699 ratings  ·  1,367 reviews
An outsider who can travel between worlds discovers a secret that threatens her new home and her fragile place in it, in a stunning sci-fi debut that’s both a cross-dimensional adventure and a powerful examination of identity, privilege, and belonging.

Multiverse travel is finally possible, but there’s just one catch: No one can visit a world where their counterpart is stil
336 pages
Published August 4th 2020 by Crown

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Aug 04, 2020
    **GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS 2020 NOMINEE - BEST SCIENCE FICTION**

Enter for a chance to win a copy of The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson!

Format: Print book

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
     ·  6,699 ratings  ·  1,367 reviews

Start your review of The Space Between Worlds
    chai ♡
    The Space Between Worlds is a story that gutted me and buoyed me. An excellent novel with a gripping plot, tenderly rendered characters with bruised, unthwarted longings, and plenty to think about long after it’s over. Whatever Johnson decides to write after this, she has a fan for life!

Read my full review on my blog: here.

ko-fiblogtwittertumblr
    Joel Rochester
    T/W: This story contains mentions of domestic and emotional abuse through past traumas experienced by our main character.

The Space Between Worlds follows Cara, who out of the 380 worlds that Earth Zero can resonate with, she is alive on only 8. Cara works for a company that specializes in gathering intel about these universes. However, when one of her counterparts is murdered under mysterious circumstances, secrets about herself and the multiverse are revealed that may change the course of her d
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    It just wasn’t for me 🤨

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
    Jenna
    Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
    Portal GIF - Portal GIFs

A fun and fast-paced romp through multiple universes

I love the idea of the multiverse. It is thrilling to think there are gazillions of universes instead of just our own. Some physicists estimate there are at least 10^10^10^7 universes.... please don't ask me how many that is; I have no clue. But it looks like far more than "merely" gazillions and is a number probably most of us are unable to contemplate.

When I read the description for The Space Between Worlds, I was intrigued. A book about a w
    Dave
    Johnson's "The Space Between Worlds" is a beautifully-crafted science fiction novel that breaks all the rules. The golden rule of time travel has always been avoiding meeting yourself at all costs. Such a time travel paradox can cause all hell to break loose and often does. The Space Between Worlds is not a time travel story. Indeed, all time flows at the same rate. Instead, it posits an interdimensional transfer between dimensions, between worlds, between realities, and going from Earth 0 to Ea ...more
    ☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
    Q: … I have seen two worlds now and the space between. We are a wonder... (c)
    Q: I’ve never been afraid to die, which has probably been my problem on more than one Earth. (c) Just one of the problems, I bet.
    Q: Another reason there are so few of me left alive: I was not a fast child. (c)

The overall rating: we start at 5 stars since I loved this one and finished it and enjoyed it a lot (even with all my grumbling!).

The adjustments:
    +1 star: Caramenta, Caralee, Nelline… all of these are the paralle
    Fran
    Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    "Human beings are unknowable...Even if you hustle and make it in the rough, you have no idea if you would thrive or die in the light of real riches, if your cleverness would outlive your desperation". "In the Wiles, I pass for someone who has known stability and money her whole life. In Ashtown, I pass for someone who remembers how to pray and scrape. I am always wearing costumes but never just clothes".

Cara was a survivor, a product of the Rurals, the wasteland of Ashtown, a community outside t
    mishi
    Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    "That’s me and Dell. We coexist, parallel but never touching, and if one of us goes too far, if I ever get too close, the Eridanus Void opens between us. We both withdraw and leave a cold darkness in the space where we almost touched that three suns couldn’t light."

This is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. Not only the premise is executed brilliantly with mind boggling plot twist but the book is so fast paced that I was completely immersed. The world building is fantastic, fresh a
    Juliana (Midnight Book Blog)
    Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Is there going to be a sequel? Please tell me there’s going to be a sequel.

Let me start by saying I really did enjoy this book, but it left me confused in a few places. Maybe it’s the fact that I read it while in a reading slump, but there were a few passages that didn’t make sense, or rules/traditions of the world that didn’t have enough explanation.

Besides that, I thought that there were a lot of things that worked well. I really did like Cara’s character, and I liked Esther even more. I wa
    Holly
    Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Easily one of the best books I have read this year. If you have read and enjoyed Dark Matter, Recursion, or All Our Yesterdays, I would suggest picking this up.

For those who haven't read any of those books: I think almost everyone is aware of the idea of the multiverse - almost identical universes that only differ based on choices that were made. So for example on this Earth you decided to go to college, but on another Earth you might have decided to delay college to go on a summer Eur
    The Captain
    Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: sci-fi
    Ahoy there me mateys!  This book's premise drew me in - multiverse travel with a murder mystery and a queer protagonist.  Cool.  While this book was enjoyable, I did have some issues that led to it not being a favorite.

So the story follows Cara who is one of the few people who can travel between the multiverses.  People on Earth Zero can access 380 other versions of Earth but only if their doppelganger on that world is dead.  Cara's other selves are very good at dying.  So much so that that ther
    Sonja Arlow

If you love sci-fi and dystopian novels then set a reminder for 04 August because you are going to want to get this book. The story has a distinct Mad Max flavour to it, and I had to force myself to not finish it in one day.

This is a world where multiverse travel is common knowledge. A total of 382 parallel earths have been documented but traversing between worlds is a little like playing Russian roulette, every time you travel could be the one that kills you.

If you land on an earth where you a
    Starlah
    Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020, sci-fi, queer
    this book has a character names Starla (that's my name without the H). that's not part of my review, just the first time i've ever seen my name in a book!
    Donna Backshall
    I got 65% through this and then I simply had to walk away. When every time you think "I have some time to read!" and your gut groans, "Ugh, but it's that book", then you know it's time to pick up another one. A better one. One that you're excited to read.

I was not excited about this one.

The Space Between Worlds had such great ratings and reviews, and this parallel worlds sci-fi genre is absolutely my go-to. But I couldn't connect with the story or the characters.

If I had to classify it, I'd say
    Bradley
    Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I'm of two minds on this book. I want to heap a ton of praise on it for being an amusing multi-universal tale that reminds me of the DC universe and Sliders in how many Earths there are, but that's old-school stuff.

I then want to heap praise on it for keeping so much focus on the same sets of characters that our main character has always been interacting with, showing a lot of subtlety and flexibility with the greater tale. But then, there's a lot of that in multi-universal novels, too. Or any
    Book Barbarian  (Tammy Smith)
    Edit: Happy release day! August 4th 2020

eARC provided by NetGalley , thank you to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton. All opinions are my own.

Addictive, page-turning science fiction, fierce, strange and filled with surprizes; I could not get to the end of it quicker.

THIS BOOK HAS LEFT ME SPACED OUT, IN A GOOD WAY

description

The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson (spoiler free reviews!)
    Standalone
    Publish Date: August 4th 2020
    Cover Rating: 7/10
    Adult –Science Fiction –Fiction – LGBT

SUMMARY IN A SENTENCE
    Jordy’s Book Club
    I thought was crazy cool and really well written and I loved the concept (young people traveling to alternative versions of Earth and bringing back data that can help save our own planet from disease, natural disasters, etc.) and the book explores some really interesting and relevant themes (specifically race, poverty and sexuality). There are at least 5-6 awesome twists that I did not see coming, and it's definitely one of the better sci-fi books i've read recently!
    Book of the Month
    Why I love it
    by Carla Bruce-Eddings

This pandemic and the requisite quarantine have compelled me to do a lot of soul searching, and I know I’m not the only one. And is there any better way to combat daily existential despair and perpetual grief, than by sinking your teeth into a world that is not your own? This is what The Space Between Worlds offers: a way out, and a breathtaking, heart-pounding way in.

Cara is a traverser, someone who can travel between the multiverses. The catch? One can only s
    Sheena
    The Space Between Worlds is about multiverse traveling being a common occurrence where 382 parallel earths have been documented. If you travel on a universe where your doppelgänger is alive, you will die right there. There’s a risk of death every time you travel between the worlds. I don’t like sci-fi much but I love parallel universes and time travel, I find it such a cool concept.

Cara is one of those characters who are deeply flawed but you still like her. There’s a lot of fast paced action a
    Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
    Umm I’m really disappointed.

The bones were amazing but the conflict was half-baked and I felt like the “villain” was severely under-developed.

The world-building was messy and was very hard to follow. The multiverse had only a few rules and they were really all thrown to the wind.

The lack of description made it really hard to understand what the world looked like? Because of this I constantly felt lost.

Cara was actually quite likeable but I wasn’t convinced that she knew what she wanted, and be
    charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
    “Luck, I guess,” I say, because the first thing a monster learns is when to lie.

On my blog.

Rep: Black bi mc, Japanese wlw li, Black side characters, nonbinary side characters

CWs: past abuse, gore, violence

Galley provided by publisher

Sometimes books will leave you with a lot to think about, and I mean a lot. The Space Between Worlds is that for me (it has been at least two weeks – at time of writing – of just thinking). I have many many thoughts about parallel universes and how they help
    NAT.orious reads ☾
    The Space Between Worlds is the Illumicrate August book and for some stupid reason, my national carrier send it back because the package doesn't fit the specifications. AHHH I just want to hold this thing in my hands, damn it.

Esther
    I received this book from Net galley, in exchange for an honest review.

The first time this book caught my eye it just seemed to call out to me. The premise sounded so intriguing.

But the magic is not just in the concept.
    Micaiah Johnson's writing style is deceptively simple, soft and supple, like silk satin. She draws you in and with seemingly little effort she has created a world around you.

Cara is a traverser, travelling between parallel worlds in order to download data for the use of the El
    laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
    Multiverse travel exists, but you can only go to a world where all of your previous selves have died. Cara has no talents other than she's dead in 372 worlds. Plucked from the wastelands, she now lives in the City and travels across the worlds, and in a few short years she'll be granted citizenship. Unless the machinations of her totally benevolent tech genius boss do something to mess with that plan...
    I have seen two worlds and the space between.

Two star body, four star ending.

I've been having
    Tania
    "Maybe I'm not the only one who feels the tugs of my other lives. Maybe the hover over us, steering us, constantly."

4.5 stars. Wow! This is an amazing debut, and I was captivated from the first page. Although classified as Science Fiction on GR, it's very light on the science element, so I would probably rather label it as dystopian. If you enjoyed The Shades of Magic Series or Six of Crows - Chapters 1 and 2 then you HAVE to get The Space Between Worlds when it publishes on 4 August 2020.

I lov
    Kat
    Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, adult
    Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
    3.5 Stars
    This novel featureds some fantastic diversity with a sapphic romance and a black main character. I really appreciated how the author incorporated discussion of race, class and privilege into the story. Yet, as a science fiction thriller, I thought this one was disappointing. I usually love science fiction involving multiverses, but this one was more about the relationships than the science. My biggest issue was that I thought the main character fell flat and I could never properly conne
    Toya (the reading chemist)
    Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    When it comes to sci-fi, more often than not, I am let down. You see a lot of authors fall back on overused tropes and/or people misuse scientific terminology, which as a scientist makes me immediately shut down. This is NOT one of those types of books. This is literally the new voice in sci-fi that I have been anxiously hoping and waiting for.

Cara has the ability to travel across the multiverse. There are 382 worlds in total. The caveat? You can only travel to the worlds if you no longer exist
    Bethany
    Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    The Space Between Worlds offers a fresh take on the multiverse trope, using it as a way to racial and economic inequality. Multiverse travel is now possible, but the catch is that you can only travel to worlds where your alternate self has died. Cara is a highly valuable employee of a company profiting off of multiverse travel because she is able to travel to the vast majority of alternate worlds. The reason? She was born Black in a poor and dangerous area where she dies young far more often tha ...more
    Rebecca | Velvet Opus
    "Of the 380 Earths with which we can resonate, I’m dead in 372"

Micaiah Johnson is an exciting new voice in Sci-Fi. The Space Between Worlds had an interesting point of view and some fresh, unique elements in this genre. Set in a multiverse, Cara travels between Earths collecting data for an enigmatic ruler who, like Cara, is dead on many other Earths. It’s a dark look at a future where inter dimensional travel is possible and with it comes power, poverty and ambition. The story was intricately w
    Final Round
    5,443,510 Votes Cast

• Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
    • The Die of Death (The Great Devil War, #2)
    • The Eye of Ra (The Eye of Ra, #1)
    • This Is How You Lose the Time War
    • The Binding
    • Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line
    • Girl Crushed
    • Southern Harm (A Southern B&B Mystery #2)
    • Foul Is Fair
    • The Last Human
    • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy #1)
    • White Ivy
    • Don't Go Without Me
    • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
    • Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
    • Cold Storage
    • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
    • Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
    Micaiah Johnson was raised in California's Mojave Desert surrounded by trees named Joshua and women who told stories.

She received her Bachelor of Arts in creative writing from the University of California, Riverside and her Master of Fine Arts in fiction from Rutgers-Camden. She now studies American Literature at Vanderbilt University where she focuses on critical race theory... and automatons.