Start by marking “The Space Between Worlds” as Want to Read:
The Space Between Worlds

The Space Between Worlds

(The Space Between Worlds #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  29,849 ratings  ·  4,585 reviews
An outsider who can travel between worlds discovers a secret that threatens her new home and her fragile place in it, in a stunning sci-fi debut that’s both a cross-dimensional adventure and a powerful examination of identity, privilege, and belonging.

Multiverse travel is finally possible, but there’s just one catch: No one can visit a world where their counterpart is stil
336 pages
Published August 4th 2020 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about The Space Between Worlds, please sign up.
Nirkatze The feeling I got from reading this book was that in this world, queer is normal. People love who they love, and are who they are. There is some menti…moreThe feeling I got from reading this book was that in this world, queer is normal. People love who they love, and are who they are. There is some mention of people who can't deal with that, but they are a minority. There are many varieties of relationships and at least one non-binary character, but none of it is highlighted or picked at, it just exists as part of life. I found it very refreshing to see a world where everything is accepted, everything is normal, and the story goes on.(less)
Reading into the Void This is a sci-fi novel in which some of the characters happen to be LGBTQ+. So it has that representation, but it’s not ABOUT that. Primarily this is …moreThis is a sci-fi novel in which some of the characters happen to be LGBTQ+. So it has that representation, but it’s not ABOUT that. Primarily this is an incredible book about multiverses, multiverse travel, and how the same people from different worlds can be so similar and dissimilar. Super interesting, highly recommend.(less)

·  29,849 ratings  ·  4,585 reviews

Start your review of The Space Between Worlds
chai ♡
“Have you encountered any others who have truly met themselves?” This line from Carmen Maria Machado’s short-story collection Her Body and Other Parties stuck in my mind like a dart the first time I read it, and while I was reading The Space Between Worlds it resurfaced again, ringing in my ears so clearly.

Imagine peering into a mirror, blinking out through familiar eyes, and seeing another life reflected back at you, both knowable and utterly beyond your grasp. You’re looking at a person from a
Yun
Dec 27, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't met a multiverse story I didn't like, until now.

Conceptually, The Space Between Worlds has a lot of potential. In this version of parallel universes, you can only travel to a different one if your counterpart is already dead. Enter Cara, who has died in most other worlds, so she's able to travel between them. Yep, I can totally get behind that. But that was pretty much it for things I enjoyed, and it was only a very small part of the story.

Where this book fell apart for me is in almost
Joel Rochester
T/W: This story contains mentions of domestic and emotional abuse through past traumas experienced by our main character.

The Space Between Worlds follows Cara, who out of the 380 worlds that Earth Zero can resonate with, she is alive on only 8. Cara works for a company that specializes in gathering intel about these universes. However, when one of her counterparts is murdered under mysterious circumstances, secrets about herself and the multiverse are revealed that may change the course of her d
Lisa of Troy
May 26, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Micaiah Johnson’s The Space Between Worlds is a science-fiction novel centered on Cara who travels to parallel universes. However, there are rules to traveling to different worlds. No one can travel to a world where they are still alive. This is good news for Cara because she is dead on most of the other worlds; therefore, she can travel to almost all of the other worlds. However, Cara is harboring a secret, and she discovers the secrets of others.

Recently, I have been reading Philip Pullman’s D
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
It just wasn’t for me 🤨

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Giorgia Reads
3,5 stars

I put off writing this review for a couple of reasons.

1. I couldn’t settle on a rating.
2. I wanted to know if it would stick with me in the days after finishing it.

Now, I didn’t have to make it so complicated, but it’s odd to rate and review a book which you loved the potential of but it’s glaringly obvious that it didn’t offer everything it promised.

I genuinely loved the world building, the characters and the writing and if this was the start of a trilogy I would have been ecstati
donna backshall
I got 65% through this and then I simply had to walk away. When every time you think "I have some time to read!" and your gut groans, "Ugh, but it's that book", then you know it's time to pick up another one. A better one. One that you're excited to read.

I was not excited about this one.

The Space Between Worlds had such great ratings and reviews, and this parallel worlds sci-fi genre is absolutely my go-to. But I couldn't connect with the story or the characters.

If I had to classify it, I'd say
The Captain
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys!  This book's premise drew me in - multiverse travel with a murder mystery and a queer protagonist.  Cool.  While this book was enjoyable, I did have some issues that led to it not being a favorite.

So the story follows Cara who is one of the few people who can travel between the multiverses.  People on Earth Zero can access 380 other versions of Earth but only if their doppelganger on that world is dead.  Cara's other selves are very good at dying.  So much so that that ther
Holly
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Easily one of the best books I have read this year. If you have read and enjoyed Dark Matter, Recursion, or All Our Yesterdays, I would suggest picking this up.

For those who haven't read any of those books: I think almost everyone is aware of the idea of the multiverse - almost identical universes that only differ based on choices that were made. So for example on this Earth you decided to go to college, but on another Earth you might have decided to delay college to go on a summer Eur
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q: … I have seen two worlds now and the space between. We are a wonder... (c)
Q: I’ve never been afraid to die, which has probably been my problem on more than one Earth. (c) Just one of the problems, I bet.
Q: Another reason there are so few of me left alive: I was not a fast child. (c)

The overall rating: we start at 5 stars since I loved this one and finished it and enjoyed it a lot (even with all my grumbling!).

The adjustments:
+1 star: Caramenta, Caralee, Nelline… all of these are the paralle
Fran
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Human beings are unknowable...Even if you hustle and make it in the rough, you have no idea if you would thrive or die in the light of real riches, if your cleverness would outlive your desperation". "In the Wiles, I pass for someone who has known stability and money her whole life. In Ashtown, I pass for someone who remembers how to pray and scrape. I am always wearing costumes but never just clothes".

Cara was a survivor, a product of the Rurals, the wasteland of Ashtown, a community outside t
Harrow
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sapphic, ya-na, 4-5, z-mc-su, sff
"That’s me and Dell. We coexist, parallel but never touching, and if one of us goes too far, if I ever get too close, the Eridanus Void opens between us. We both withdraw and leave a cold darkness in the space where we almost touched that three suns couldn’t light."

This is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. Not only the premise is executed brilliantly with mind boggling plot twist but the book is so fast paced that I was completely immersed. The world building is fantastic, fresh a
Olivia-Savannah
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this, but unfortunately I really didn't.

I was so happy that we have a bisexual Black main character, and an f/f romance in the story! And the casual inclusion of enby characters made me smile too.

I also really liked the concept that the story had going for it, with the multiverses and the interesting job ranking in the world - it really emphasised capitalism and how awful it can be. I liked that it was immigrants who were actually fuelling the work space, but were underv
Mary Robinette Kowal
Nov 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Oh, my heart. I've just finished The Space Between Worlds and it is not often that I finish a book and think "that ending was perfect" but it was for me. The premise of the book sounds straightforward and inevitable. Travel between multiverses is popular. Earth One is only slightly different from Earth Zero while Earth 255 is very different. So far, fairly standard. If a version of you exists in that world, the other can't enter.

Which means that the most valuable traversers are the ones most lik
Starlah
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, 2020, sci-fi
this book has a character names Starla (that's my name without the H). that's not part of my review, just the first time i've ever seen my name in a book! ...more
Bradley
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm of two minds on this book. I want to heap a ton of praise on it for being an amusing multi-universal tale that reminds me of the DC universe and Sliders in how many Earths there are, but that's old-school stuff.

I then want to heap praise on it for keeping so much focus on the same sets of characters that our main character has always been interacting with, showing a lot of subtlety and flexibility with the greater tale. But then, there's a lot of that in multi-universal novels, too. Or any
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
Umm I’m really disappointed.

The bones were amazing but the conflict was half-baked and I felt like the “villain” was severely under-developed.

The world-building was messy and was very hard to follow. The multiverse had only a few rules and they were really all thrown to the wind.

The lack of description made it really hard to understand what the world looked like? Because of this I constantly felt lost.

Cara was actually quite likeable but I wasn’t convinced that she knew what she wanted, and be
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Ahhhh, here comes my favourite sci-fi brand : doesn't bore me to tears with heavy scientific details/very specific references only people way higher than me in the nerd society can get, with compelling characters who just want to belong somewhere, is that too much to ask?, that questions capitalism and power dynamics on Earth, with a very very soft touch of romance.

I don't think I'll ever fall truly in love with science-fiction, but with The Space Between Worlds I've come very close, so if that
Sonja Arlow

If you love sci-fi and dystopian novels then set a reminder for 04 August because you are going to want to get this book. The story has a distinct Mad Max flavour to it, and I had to force myself to not finish it in one day.

This is a world where multiverse travel is common knowledge. A total of 382 parallel earths have been documented but traversing between worlds is a little like playing Russian roulette, every time you travel could be the one that kills you.

If you land on an earth where you a
Fiona
Ok, I'm legitimately mad that goodreads has - lost? deleted? who knows? - this review. I LOVED this book and pulled together a bunch of words that somehow made sense in describing why it was so great.

Time to back up, but believe me when I say this book is fantastic. Full review to come - again - if I get over how pissed I am at some point.
NAT.orious reads ☾
This book is for you if… your own imagination and creativity can make up for a lack of things-that-are-spelled-out-explicitly.

Overall.
In the beginning, I was pretty excited to return to The Space Between Worlds after each break. The world this is set in is exciting, diverse, dystopian and full of adventures. I loved how rich in contrasts Micaiah's work. Although entirely futuristic, it still reminds so much of the classist reality we are living in now.

Sadly, I dearly missed two essential t
Lana Reads
4,5 stars

I loved this book, even in all it's imperfectness. The slow getting into the story, the partial revealing of the information and the getting to know the characters made me want to read more.

...human beings are unknowable. You can never know a single person fully, not even yourself. Even if you think you know yourself in your safe glass castle, you don't know yourself in the dirt. Even if you hustle and make it in the rough, you have no idea if you would thrive or die in the light of
charlotte,
“Luck, I guess,” I say, because the first thing a monster learns is when to lie.

On my blog.

Rep: Black bi mc, Japanese wlw li, Black side characters, nonbinary side characters

CWs: past abuse, gore, violence

Galley provided by publisher

Sometimes books will leave you with a lot to think about, and I mean a lot. The Space Between Worlds is that for me (it has been at least two weeks – at time of writing – of just thinking). I have many many thoughts about parallel universes and how they help
Tatiana
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, sci-fi
A big multiverse fan here.

I think the concept is pretty cool, especially in how effectively it ties race and class to multiverse travel. In The Space Between Worlds, you can only travel to a world where your counterpart is dead, so basically exclusively people who happen to have been born in places/families at risk and manage to survive against all odds are recruited to be traversers (multiverse travelers). Cara's counterparts are dead on 372 worlds due to neglect, gang violence, etc., which ma
Althea ☾
“someone found me and thought that I was worth something.”

the execution wasn't for me but I appreciated the themes it wanted to discuss and I think Micaiah Johnson made some smart moves. I think that the synopsis built it up too much.

— overall thoughts: 2.5 —
content warnings// (view spoiler)
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Carla Bruce-Eddings

This pandemic and the requisite quarantine have compelled me to do a lot of soul searching, and I know I’m not the only one. And is there any better way to combat daily existential despair and perpetual grief, than by sinking your teeth into a world that is not your own? This is what The Space Between Worlds offers: a way out, and a breathtaking, heart-pounding way in.

Cara is a traverser, someone who can travel between the multiverses. The catch? One can only s
Book Barbarian  (Tammy Smith)
Edit: Happy release day! August 4th 2020

eARC provided by NetGalley , thank you to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton. All opinions are my own.

Addictive, page-turning science fiction, fierce, strange and filled with surprizes; I could not get to the end of it quicker.

THIS BOOK HAS LEFT ME SPACED OUT, IN A GOOD WAY

description

The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson (spoiler free reviews!)
Standalone
Publish Date: August 4th 2020
Cover Rating: 7/10
Adult –Science Fiction –Fiction – LGBT

SUMMARY IN A SENTENCE
exploraDora
***3 stars***

I'm giving this book 3 stars, not because it wasn't good, but because I expected it to be more... epic, somehow. The premise is interesting and it's very well written. I love the idea of the multiverse and I'm guaranteed to read anything I can get my hands on that touches this subject.

I just wanted more from this story. Rtc.
Carrie
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson is a science fiction fantasy that does have a touch of romance. This is another science fiction fantasy that deals with the idea of the multiverse and I’m beginning to wonder if these just aren’t for me after not having much luck with them.

In the world of this book people are able to travel between the multiverses in their 380 different worlds. However, no one can travel to a world where their own self is still living or that means death. Cara is now a
Sheena
The Space Between Worlds is about multiverse traveling being a common occurrence where 382 parallel earths have been documented. If you travel on a universe where your doppelgänger is alive, you will die right there. There’s a risk of death every time you travel between the worlds. I don’t like sci-fi much but I love parallel universes and time travel, I find it such a cool concept.

Cara is one of those characters who are deeply flawed but you still like her. There’s a lot of fast paced action a

• Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Dødens terning (Den store djævlekrig, #2)
  • The Eye of Ra (The Eye of Ra, #1)
  • The Binding
  • Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line
  • Girl Crushed
  • Southern Harm (A Southern B&B Mystery #2)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy, #1)
  • White Ivy
  • Don't Go Without Me
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
  • Cold Storage
  • Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Sex and Vanity
  • The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot
See top shelves…
Micaiah Johnson was raised in California's Mojave Desert surrounded by trees named Joshua and women who told stories.

She received her Bachelor of Arts in creative writing from the University of California, Riverside and her Master of Fine Arts in fiction from Rutgers-Camden. She now studies American Literature at Vanderbilt University where she focuses on critical race theory... and automatons.

The Space Between Worlds (2 books)
  • Ashtown

Articles featuring this book

Science fiction has always watched the skies. The genre has a rich tradition of looking to the rest of the cosmos for stories of life in...
“Because that’s what a sister is: a piece of yourself you can finally love, because it’s in someone else.” 40 likes
“They say hunting monsters will turn you into one. That isn’t what’s happening now. Sometimes to kill a dragon, you have to remember that you breath fire too. This isn’t a becoming; its a revealing. I’ve been a monster all along.” 38 likes