Start by marking “We Are Lost and Found” as Want to Read:

We Are Lost and Found

A poignant, heartbreaking, and uplifting story in the tradition of The Perks of Being a Wallflower about three friends coming of age in the early 1980s as they struggle to forge their own paths in the face of fear of the unknown.

Michael is content to live in the shadow of his best friends, James, an enigmatic teen performance artist who everyone wants and no one can have a
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published September 1st 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Sep 06, 2019
    Enter for your chance to win ONE of FIVE finished copies of WE ARE LOST AND FOUND by Helene Dunbar.

"Dunbar beautifully and accurately captures a gener

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1373 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 06 - Sep 05, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about We Are Lost and Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Lost and Found

Larry H
    Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    Utterly gorgeous and emotionally evocative, Helene Dunbar's We Are Lost and Found feels like pages from a person's diary. It so effectively and beautifully captures the early 1980s in New York City, what it was like to be a teenager struggling with your sexuality and your desire to be loved and be seen, and the uncertainties and fears of the early days of AIDS.

Michael, James, and Becky are best friends. While Michael and Becky are still in high school, James is two years older, and is a perfor
    Jaidee
    3.5 "1980s gay teen angst with a bit too much" stars !!

Thank you to Netgalley, Sourcebooks and the author for a copy of this book. In exchange I am providing my review. This book is to be released September 2019.

I pushed this up my reading list to make it my Pride read of 2019.

There is a lot to like in Ms. Dunbar's novel of three teen best friends living their lives in 1983 New York. The time and place felt very genuine with many cultural and musical icons, the club scene, fighting over the h
    ♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
    [ e-ARC received from NetGalley ]

after reading we are lost and found, i’m going to say that this book was just ok for me in overall. it was neither good nor bad. but there were some things about this book that bothered me so much and i wanna tell you about them.

first is the lack of quotation marks. i found it quite hard to read sometimes because i did not know whether someone was saying or not.

second is the plot. i feel like it was not interesting enough to keep my attention.

and third is the w
    Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
    Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs, 4-stars-books
    Apart from 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margeret Atwood, this might be the most important novel that I had read thus far this year. As the synopsis had stated, the story is set in the 1980s, where societal attitudes toward homosexuality were not pleasant and the threat of AIDs was discommoding to the gay community as no one understood what was going on and how this disease was supposed to be prevented. This novel allows us to witness the struggles of the people back in the '80s which I will converse ...more
    Tom Wilinsky
    Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Helene Dunbar recalls the poignant early years of the AIDS crisis through the experiences of a compelling, diverse group of teenagers in early 1980s New York City. Fear, love, violence, longing, confusion and passion battle for primacy as Michael struggles with budding desire, a threatening father, a hostile world and a nascent plague. Cohorts Becky and James round out the cast of main characters, adding depth and feeling. Dunbar balances hope with risk and dread with possibility, deftly constru ...more
    Izzy
    Jun 19, 2018 marked it as to-be-released
    is this... YA Rent
    - ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
    . : ☾⋆ — 3 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!

ARC provided from the publisher in exchange for an honest review (thank you Sourcebooks Fire!!)

I don’t know how to balance my feelings for We Are Lost and Found over its objective importance and relevance because of the subject it encompasses, so I’m just gonna go somewhere in the middle with my rating here. my opinion is obviously relative and completely subjective so I wouldn’t take it to heart if I were you.

I’ll just rip the ban
    maya
    Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: queer, arcs
    Arc kindly provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you.

We are lost and found was quietly stunning. To be honest it really got me. the discussion of AIDS and the fear in everyone especially the gay community was respectfully and informatively handled. Dunbar is a pro.

The prose in this book was spectacular while i was reading this book i was highlighting and making notes like a crazy person. You bet i’m picking up a finished copy w
    Sol ~ TheBookishKing
    "This year you will create music. You will fall in love. You will find your place. You will be happy."

I don't hate this but I definitely don't love it either. There was potential here to be one of the best LGBTQ Contemporary Novels of 2019. But that was all thrown out the window by poor characterization, pretty much no plot, and truly a whack ending.

Even though I did enjoy many aspects of this book, I think the good and the bad are on equal levels and I just couldn't love it as I had hoped.

Revi
    Helene
    Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    4/10/19:
    Now that WE ARE LOST AND FOUND has a cover and ARCs are going out, I wanted to share some things about the book.

- It takes place in 1983 (which was my senior year of high school, making me a year older than Michael and Becky and about the same age as James)
    - It’s set in NYC - the city that feeds my soul - and this book is my homage to the grungy but invigorating face it wore in the early 80’s.
    - It’s FILLED with 80’s music. I ran my high school and college radio stations and my friends a
    Carly Lyn
    Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I got to read an early draft of this book from the author and it's now one of my favorites. I love it with all my heart and would have hugged it if I could. It's uplifting and empowering with an amazing ensemble cast of 1980's characters that you can't help but adore. Very eighties! A spectacular tapestry of imagery and emotion. Lyrical, poetic, joyful, exuberant, and un-put-downable.
    Mimi
    Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
    "Silence is not the answer."
    Hauntingly beautiful and intimidating. The kind of book that stays with you not because you want it to, but because it needs you to hold on for a little while longer.
    Juliette✵ of✵ the✵ Stars✯⭒*⭑★☽
    Me: *reads the title of the book* Sounds gay tell me more!
    Me: *reads the blurb* I WAS RIGHT. It sounds heartbreaking GIVE IT TO ME!!
    Susana
    ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 stars

This book is about:

A sixteen-year old boy named Michael who is trying to deal with the fact that his older brother was kicked out of their house for coming out as he himself is also gay.

To pass the time, Michael hangs out at The Echo where he can forget about his problems and where he meets Gabriel who he can't seem to get off his mind.

Then, Michael is forced to decide what he's willing to risk to be himself.

Trigger warnings: qu
    Charlotte Kinzie
    The descriptive bit: We Are Lost And Found by Helene Dunbar tells an important story that took place in the 80s. Michael is a young man who is just becoming comfortable with his sexuality, and he’s living in a time when he has to contemplate the fact that having sex might kill him. HIV/AIDS is spreading even though, at that time, there was nothing certain about transmission. To add to the uncertainty in Michael’s life, his brother Connor has been kicked out of the family home by their homophobic ...more
    kippen (uponthepages)
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was everything I wanted and more. I cannot wait until everyone else gets to read and love it as well!

I'll have a full review going up closer to the release date. As for now, I'll be posting some thoughts over on my Instagram!
    The Nerd Daily
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Mimi Koehler

Silence is not the answer.

My heart is still breaking a little bit just thinking of this story.

The novel follows young Michael, a “lost” boy in 1983’s New York City who is happy to let his eccentric best friend James take center stage in life, dance away his troubles at his favourite club The Echo, and above all, scared to come out to his parents after they kicked out his older brother Connor for doing so a while back. Together with h
    Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
    DNF @ 47%

I put this book down a month ago and don't feel the urge to pick it up.

I'm not overly fond of the flowery stream of consciousness style of writing. It often forced me to reread passages to understand what was happening and I dont think I ever gained an attachment to the characters.
    Roger Hyttinen
    Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The story is set in the early '80s in New York City and follows Michael, a young gay man, and his two best friends, Becky and James as they come of age during the time when AIDS first emerged. The story is told from Michael's point of view, and we watch as he becomes comfortable with his sexuality though he's forced to hide it at home because his parents are quite homophobic; in fact, his father had just thrown Conor, Michael's brother out of the house after Conor came out to them.

I found the pr
    Erika O’Neill
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    5/5⭐😍

So, it’s rare for me to give a book 5 stars without question, but this book is so important and I love it so much that I have to. I plan on preordering it ASAP.

What is it about?: Michael Bartolomeo (I think I spelled it right?), a gay teen, lives in New York in 1983. AIDS is a big, rising crisis at the time and casualties are rising, and no one really knows what causes it and how to prevent it. Michael isn’t too affected by it, but it worries him, and when he meets Gabriel, another gay boy
    Emily
    Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    This book was so good that I wasn't even annoyed with the lack of quotation marks. Michael's story offers amazing insight of what it was like to be part of the LGBTQ community during the AIDS crisis. His story is heartbreaking but also hopeful, and I found it easy to get sucked into every single word of this book.
    chels marieantoinette
    Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow. Wow. Wow.
    This book is a beautifully written & emotional coming-of-age at an incredibly poignant & critical time in American history.

“I’m on the edge of something. On the edge and I want to fall. I want to fall so badly.”

Exquisitely detailed, the rhythm & repetition with which this book is written makes you feel like you’re actually dancing to all the quintessential 80’s songs referenced.

“...this rhythm has infected us.”

It’s raw & quick. Captivating, concise, and concentrated
    Amber | justambr 🌞
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, 2019
    4.5 🌟

wow this book was really .. emotional 🥴 I related to this book more than once and I just really loved how you are able to like or dislike every character with ease.

this story follows a guy named Michael and he is gay. It’s 1980 and all he wants to do is live his best life with his best friends Becky & James but he can’t do that because his parents are homophobics 🙂 mainly his dad because his mom just goes along with the dad and is scary 🙄 also Michael can’t live the way he wants to bec
    Jessie_Book
    Jul 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: started
    Why are there no quotation marks?!?!
    Sam Reads
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I genuinely don't know how to keep a review short, so I will try my best and I'll also leave my blog post linked somewhere so that you can find more details about this book and my thoughts on it.
    First of all, thanks to Netgalley and SOURCEBOOKS Fire for sending me an E-ARC of this beautiful and touching novel in exchange of my honest review.

I honestly didn't think I was going to like it this much, I wasn't even sure on which kind of story I was going to get into, but it turned out to be a very
    Louise Esson
    Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    ARC provided by Netgalley for early, unbiased review.

I dreaded picking up this book when reading before bed. I was anxious most of the time reading it. But, BUT I think this is the exact feeling the author is going for, and which is why I give it such a high rating despite seemingly harsh words. Let me explain. This book follows a sixteen year old gay boy in 1983 when the AIDs crisis is thoroughly underway but the cause and cure are both still unknown. We follow Michael through a couple months
    Heather Pearson
    Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: lgbtq, ya
    I remember the mid 80's when there was lots talk about this new disease that seemed to be plaguing the gay population. Very quickly we learned that people from all walks of life very dying from what became known as AIDS. This is the book for those who weren't around at that time but who are curious about it was like to grow up then.

Michael , James and Becky are teen best friends living in New York City. They are trying to figure out who they are and what they want out of life. Michael is gay bu
    Cecilia Margherita
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley
    I received this book as an arc in exchange for an honest review. The book will be published in September.
    Probably, this book wasn't simply my cup of tea. I find that writing a young adult about diversities giving positive messages is by itself really laudable, so I think that some very young reader may appreciate this book. But having read many Y-A I am always looking for something original, well-written, whose plot and charachters can be enjoyable also for a more mature reader.
    Unfortunately thi
    Jasmine
    May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

~ I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review ~

~~~

I was drawn to this book first of all because of two things: the cover and the reference to The Perks of Being a Wallflower in the blurb. Of course, the summary of the story then led me to further know that this was definitely a book I wanted to read. Even with all of that very promising material, I had no clue quite how much this book would resonate with both my emotions and my love for creative writing.

Before
    Rachel
    Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
    I really wanted to like this book more than I actually did. It took me a long time to get through the first half because I didn't like the lack of quotations and the sudden, random scene jumping. The second half of the book is really when things started grabbing my interest and when I started to really feel some connection with the story and characters.

There are lots of important themes and topics covered in this book. I realize the importance of these and think it's wonderful they are being exp
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Goodreads Librari...: Help with combining book listings 4 19 Jan 09, 2019 10:16AM
    Called the "queen of heartbreaking prose" by Paste Magazine, Helene Dunbar is the author of WE ARE LOST AND FOUND (Sourcebooks, September 2019), BOOMERANG (Sky Pony 2018), and PRELUDE FOR LOST SOULS (2020) as well as THESE GENTLE WOUNDS, and WHAT REMAINS. Over the years, she's worked as a drama critic, journalist, and marketing manager, and has written on topics as diverse as Irish music, court ca ...more