Start by marking “We Are Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
We Are Lost and Found

We Are Lost and Found

A poignant, heartbreaking, and uplifting story in the tradition of The Perks of Being a Wallflower about three friends coming of age in the early 1980s as they struggle to forge their own paths in the face of fear of the unknown.

Michael is content to live in the shadow of his best friends, James, an enigmatic teen performance artist who everyone wants and no one can have a
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published September 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about We Are Lost and Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Lost and Found

Larry H
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Utterly gorgeous and emotionally evocative, Helene Dunbar's We Are Lost and Found feels like pages from a person's diary. It so effectively and beautifully captures the early 1980s in New York City, what it was like to be a teenager struggling with your sexuality and your desire to be loved and be seen, and the uncertainties and fears of the early days of AIDS.

Michael, James, and Becky are best friends. While Michael and Becky are still in high school, James is two years older, and is a perfor
Tom Wilinsky
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helene Dunbar recalls the poignant early years of the AIDS crisis through the experiences of a compelling, diverse group of teenagers in early 1980s New York City. Fear, love, violence, longing, confusion and passion battle for primacy as Michael struggles with budding desire, a threatening father, a hostile world and a nascent plague. Cohorts Becky and James round out the cast of main characters, adding depth and feeling. Dunbar balances hope with risk and dread with possibility, deftly constru ...more
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 4-stars-books
3.75 💫 Important. Poignant. Maudlin.

Review to come...
Izzy
Jun 19, 2018 marked it as to-be-released
is this... YA Rent
Carly Lyn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early draft of this book from the author and it's now one of my favorites. I love it with all my heart and would have hugged it if I could. It's uplifting and empowering with an amazing ensemble cast of 1980's characters that you can't help but adore. Very eighties! A spectacular tapestry of imagery and emotion. Lyrical, poetic, joyful, exuberant, and un-put-downable.
Helene
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
4/10/19:
Now that WE ARE LOST AND FOUND has a cover and ARCs are going out, I wanted to share some things about the book.

- It takes place in 1983 (which was my senior year of high school, making me a year older than Michael and Becky and about the same age as James)
- It’s set in NYC - the city that feeds my soul - and this book is my homage to the grungy but invigorating face it wore in the early 80’s.
- It’s FILLED with 80’s music. I ran my high school and college radio stations and my friends a
Juliette✵ of✵ the✵ Stars✯⭒*⭑★☽
Me: *reads the title of the book* Sounds gay tell me more!
Me: *reads the blurb* I WAS RIGHT. It sounds heartbreaking GIVE IT TO ME!!
Charlotte Kinzie
The descriptive bit: We Are Lost And Found by Helene Dunbar tells an important story that took place in the 80s. Michael is a young man who is just becoming comfortable with his sexuality, and he’s living in a time when he has to contemplate the fact that having sex might kill him. HIV/AIDS is spreading even though, at that time, there was nothing certain about transmission. To add to the uncertainty in Michael’s life, his brother Connor has been kicked out of the family home by their homophobic ...more
kippen (uponthepages)
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything I wanted and more. I cannot wait until everyone else gets to read and love it as well!

I'll have a full review going up closer to the release date. As for now, I'll be posting some thoughts over on my Instagram!
Roger Hyttinen
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is set in the early '80s in New York City and follows Michael, a young gay man, and his two best friends, Becky and James as they come of age during the time when AIDS first emerged. The story is told from Michael's point of view, and we watch as he becomes comfortable with his sexuality though he's forced to hide it at home because his parents are quite homophobic; in fact, his father had just thrown Conor, Michael's brother out of the house after Conor came out to them.

I found the pr
Emily Knosher
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was so good that I wasn't even annoyed with the lack of quotation marks. Michael's story offers amazing insight of what it was like to be part of the LGBTQ community during the AIDS crisis. His story is heartbreaking but also hopeful, and I found it easy to get sucked into every single word of this book.
Jasmine
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

~ I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review ~

~~~

I was drawn to this book first of all because of two things: the cover and the reference to The Perks of Being a Wallflower in the blurb. Of course, the summary of the story then led me to further know that this was definitely a book I wanted to read. Even with all of that very promising material, I had no clue quite how much this book would resonate with both my emotions and my love for creative writing.

Before
Amber | cozynaturereader 🌿
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
4.5 🌟

wow this book was really .. emotional 🥴 I related to this book more than once and I just really loved how you are able to like or dislike every character with ease.

this story follows a guy named Michael and he is gay. It’s 1980 and all he wants to do is live his best life with his best friends Becky & James but he can’t do that because his parents are homophobics 🙂 mainly his dad because his mom just goes along with the dad and is scary 🙄 also Michael can’t live the way he wants to bec
Vicky Skinner
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel absolutely all of the feels. I've read about this particular time period and subject matter in adult books but never in YA and seeing it from the point of view of someone who's still trying to figure out what they want from life is so powerful and heartbreaking. I loved every single character in this book and their struggles and their emotions. What a beautiful beautiful read that I can't wait to recommend to everyone!
Linda
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was just a bitch eh for me. Couldn't really engage with any of the characters or their stories. Shame :(
Ivy
Apr 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
Hmm. I hope this book is better than Perks.
Anya
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a few hours—I couldn’t tear myself away from the artful prose and lively and beautifully rendered characters. This is the first YA book I’ve read about the AIDS crisis in NYC, and I think an important perspective is displayed in this a heart-wrenching and captivating novel.
Jamie
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
‘We Are Lost and Found’ reads rather like the mac-n-cheese bite I’ve recently got addicted to: wholly moreish and easily polished off, but leaving me decidedly unsatisfied approximately 5 minutes later.

I’m all for preserving and exploring LGBTQ history (though, frankly, for a novel set in 1980s queer-culture NYC, this was rather heavy on the G, with only a passing nod -- quite literally -- to the rest of the umbrella) and the AIDS crisis is a lamentable but critical part of our heritage that mu
Thomas
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, ya
*I was given an eARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review*
In order to structure my thoughts, I will create a list of what I liked about this book (I) and a list of what I didn't so much like (II).
I.
- Historical Gay YA: I like the idea of historical fiction for YA, especially LGBTQ YA. I think it is important for young LGBTQ folks to explore their complex histories and fiction is a great way to contextualize and experience that.
- Writing: Parts of this book were written in such a beautifu
noah
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
ETA: For an awesome YA ownvoices book about being gay during the AIDS crisis check out Like a Love Story

hmm.. well i don't know. maybe im in some type of mood? because i felt absolutely nothing while reading this.

obviously i hated the writing style. the complete lack of quotation marks to indicate when someone was speaking was incredibly annoying. i often wasnt sure if what i was reading was narration or dialogue. i shouldnt have to spend my time deciphering who's speaking if anyone is at all.
Emma
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
[I was given a free digital copy through NetGalley]

Dunbar's novel takes us into the heart of New York City during the rise of the AIDS crisis of the 1980s, setting us in an atmosphere of confusion and fear and homophobia. I really enjoyed this story, and although I didn't feel as if there was a lot of growth for any of the characters, they didn't feel too static but instead real because this story takes place over a very short period of time. Michael, our narrator, and protagonist, often felt li
Brittany
May 23, 2019
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Jun 14, 2019
Maya
rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2019
Victoria (RedsCat)
Jun 04, 2019
Literate Love (Liz)
May 10, 2019
Lucy Peake
May 24, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Help with combining book listings 4 16 Jan 09, 2019 10:16AM
Called the "queen of heartbreaking prose" by Paste Magazine, Helene Dunbar is the author of WE ARE LOST AND FOUND (Sourcebooks, September 2019), BOOMERANG (Sky Pony 2018), and PRELUDE FOR LOST SOULS (2020) as well as THESE GENTLE WOUNDS, and WHAT REMAINS. Over the years, she's worked as a drama critic, journalist, and marketing manager, and has written on topics as diverse as Irish music, court ca ...more