Start by marking “We Are Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
We Are Lost and Found

We Are Lost and Found

A poignant, heartbreaking, and uplifting, story in the tradition of The Perks of Being a Wallflower about three friends coming-of-age in the early 1980s as they struggle to forge their own paths in the face of fear of the unknown.

Michael is content to live in the shadow of his best friends, James, an enigmatic teen performance artist who everyone wants and no one can have
Expected publication: September 3rd 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published September 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about We Are Lost and Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Lost and Found

Tom Wilinsky
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helene Dunbar recalls the poignant early years of the AIDS crisis through the experiences of a compelling, diverse group of teenagers in early 1980s New York City. Fear, love, violence, longing, confusion and passion battle for primacy as Michael struggles with budding desire, a threatening father, a hostile world and a nascent plague. Cohorts Becky and James round out the cast of main characters, adding depth and feeling. Dunbar balances hope with risk and dread with possibility, deftly constru ...more
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 4-stars-books
3.75 💫 Important. Poignant. Maudlin.

Review to come...
Carly Lyn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got to read an early draft of this book from the author and it's now one of my favorites. I love it with all my heart and would have hugged it if I could. It's uplifting and empowering with an amazing ensemble cast of 1980's characters that you can't help but adore. Very eighties! A spectacular tapestry of imagery and emotion. Lyrical, poetic, joyful, exuberant, and un-put-downable.
Izzy
Jun 19, 2018 marked it as to-be-released
is this... YA Rent
Juliette✵ of✵ the✵ Stars✯⭒*⭑★☽
Me: *reads the title of the book* Sounds gay tell me more!
Me: *reads the blurb* I WAS RIGHT. It sounds heartbreaking GIVE IT TO ME!!
kippen (uponthepages)
Apr 07, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: on-my-radar
All I want to do is read this book
Helene
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
4/10/19:
Now that WE ARE LOST AND FOUND has a cover and ARCs are going out, I wanted to share some things about the book.

- It takes place in 1983 (which was my senior year of high school, making me a year older than Michael and Becky and about the same age as James)
- It’s set in NYC - the city that feeds my soul - and this book is my homage to the grungy but invigorating face it wore in the early 80’s.
- It’s FILLED with 80’s music. I ran my high school and college radio stations and my friends a
Emily Knosher
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was so good that I wasn't even annoyed with the lack of quotation marks. Michael's story offers amazing insight of what it was like to be part of the LGBTQ community during the AIDS crisis. His story is heartbreaking but also hopeful, and I found it easy to get sucked into every single word of this book.
Lauren MacLeod
Jun 22, 2018
Erin
Apr 07, 2019
Skye Kilaen
Apr 05, 2019 marked it as no-thank-you
I'm in sympathy with the criticism this book idea received when it was first publicized as "Blood Makes Noise": https://vickywhoreads.wordpress.com/2...
added it
Sahra
May 30, 2018
val
May 30, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Help with combining book listings 4 15 Jan 09, 2019 10:16AM
Called the "queen of heartbreaking prose" by Paste Magazine, Helene Dunbar is the author of WE ARE LOST AND FOUND (Sourcebooks, September 2019), BOOMERANG (Sky Pony 2018), and PRELUDE FOR LOST SOULS (2020) as well as THESE GENTLE WOUNDS, and WHAT REMAINS. Over the years, she's worked as a drama critic, journalist, and marketing manager, and has written on topics as diverse as Irish music, court ca ...more