Start by marking “Nine of Swords, Reversed” as Want to Read:
Nine of Swords, Reversed

Nine of Swords, Reversed

Dev has been with xyr service submissive Noam for seven years and xe loves them very much. Dev and Noam have built a good life together in Noam’s family home in Oakland, where they both can practice their magecraft, celebrate the high holidays in comfort, support each other as their disabilities flare, and where Noam can spend Shabbos with their beloved family ghost.

But D
Published December 31st 2018 by Xan West

To ask other readers questions about Nine of Swords, Reversed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nine of Swords, Reversed

Start your review of Nine of Swords, Reversed
Alex Harrow
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read this in advance (thank you, Xan!) and absolutely loved this story. I adored the vulnerability and nuance to Dev and Noam's D/s relationship and how they both support each other, while also dealing with very differing experiences regarding their disabilities, their identities, and how they navigate talking through these things. This book is yet another one of Xan's stories I appreciate so much for its nuanced fat and disability rep while featuring a cast of genderfl ...more
Xan West
Hi there, this is the author. I wanted to note that you can find content warnings for this book here:

Bogi Takács
Read for Transcendent 4 consideration, so I can't comment on it at length yet, but I liked it!

Source of the book: Ebook copy from the author
Ceillie Simkiss
Full review to come, but y'all need to go order this.
Avery (Book Deviant)
This was the best way to close out the year.
Skye Kilaen
I'm so glad this exists!
Ash
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really, really good story about remembering to communicate to the important people in your life even when it is hard and life is hard and you don't wanna be a burden. I loved it.
Wotgermaine
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars “Nine of Swords, Reversed” is fantastic, and I’ve never read another narrative like it. But this review is going to be spoiler-free, so I have to walk that fine line. It’s like trying to refinish a piece of furniture: you’re in the tension between what the original finish, your budget, and your skills will allow versus your vision of the finished piece. It’s like every recognizable creative act, really.

The element I won’t spoil in “Nine of Swords, Reversed” is also my very favorite p
Ellen B
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know that I would probably not have picked this book up even six months ago, but I am so glad I gave it a chance. It taught me, as a cis woman, so much about experiences outside of my own, and for that I am grateful. When I first saw that the main characters' relationship involved kink and domination/submission, I will admit to feeling a bit apprehensive. However, as I read, I found yf putting my prejudices aside and simply observing Dev and Noam's interactions, becoming accustomed to their re ...more
Merc Rustad
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet romantic novelette that focuses on non-sexual kink between two queer genderfluid people. It's lovely: Dev and Noam work on communicating with each other, repairing trust, and confiding about what each of them needs. All the characters are well-drawn and empathetic, and I enjoyed spending time in this story and seeing how it resolves. It's a warm and uplifting tale, satisfying and sweet.

West also includes an excellent preface and afterward about pronouns, gender, and h
Mehek Naresh
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella is such a genuine and honest look at a very tender relationship, and I am glad this is my first book of the year
Chasia Lloyd
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Communication is key in this short

This short fantasy revolves around three genderfluid characters who deal with pain, trauma, and meltdowns. Every page is handled with care as everyone checks in with each other frequently. I am very interested in reading more set in this world.

The author has an excellent list of content warnings at the beginning and a guide to the characters' pronouns.
Emelie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've never read anything quite like this before. This is a gentle, beautiful story about flawed but healthy relationships, communication, boundaries, trauma, disability and identity. And magic. The way the character's fluid genders, trauma responses, disabilities and (D/s) relationship dynamics all intertwined was complex yet completely clear in how it was portrayed.

I absolutely loved how the Dom-sub element of the story was so.. desexualized? Not exactly what I mean, but I feel like BDSM is of
Caroline Duvezin
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Touching story, and a slow, nuanced unveiling of their different issues bringing the characters closer.However, I kept expecting...something to happen. Levi the ghost to go crazy, either Dev's or Noam's powers to go haywire. Not that I need big dramatic magic to make a satisfying plot, but the summary led me to expect some? Idk.

Maybe it's that, for all that moving out of the house is the turning point (and one with wonderful symbolism at that), I didn't really get a feel for the house? Which ma
Leo Medina
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I highly recommend it as someone for whom it was so necessary and so so true to the experience of being in a relationship with fellow survivors. It had such a nuanced, centered approach to the intersection of disability, gender, trauma, fatness, and kink and what all of those mean in a relationship between two people who love each other so dearly, even if what love takes isn't always easy. I read this story at a time where these struggles echoed my own, and it was incredible ...more
Shawna
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book introduced some new pronouns to me, which I admit I needed a little bit of time to get used to. It was a little more work than I'm used to keeping track of the characters at times. That being said, I'm glad I read this book; it was very enlightening. Although, as a story, I don't think it gave the readers enough of an arc. Being told solely from Dev's perspective, who is suffering from arthritis flares and spending a lot of time alone, we don't really get a good sense of the relationship bet ...more
Matt Hope
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely queer story. Now, I’m queer myself but this takes place mostly out of my personal experience. I can’t comment on these aspects too much because they simply are not my lane.

Anyway. It’s a story of hurt and trust and the importance of proper communication. Not always easy but crucial. Solves problems before they can crop up.

Detailed content warnings help you decide whether or not this story is for you. Be aware that potentially upsetting things are mentioned or described.

Other than that
Nadya
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet and engaging book. I loved the compassion and sensitivity with which the various topics were handled and this is the first time I've actually felt seen an heard so much reading a book. I so, so, so hope there are more planned, maybe a series. This is a really important book, I was crying by the end, and I don't want to spoil anything, but the author really handled the character development and the progression of their relationship well.
W.L. Bolm
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful urban fantasy romance. If you're Jewish, queer, or interested in leather or D/s culture, you should like this.

I was touched by the representation in this story, and the magic, religion, and treatment of genderfluid characters resonated with me.

I'll definitely be following Xan's works in the future!
Dana Ragnarok
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer-romance
i liked the characters, the writing felt weirdly flat at times.
Book  Minx
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a lovely glimpse into an imperfect relationship, still working on how & where to define boundaries. This felt like a cozy story about friends and I want to share it with everyone.
J Corvidae
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
sam
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review to come, but definitely a good read.
Irina V
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely read with wonderful representation! Full review to come (as soon as I find the time & energy to write it).
Amara
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nine of Swords, Reversed is a lovely short peek into the world of two people who love and give each other the utmost respect. Xan does a wonderful job of depicting this in every single detail of the story.

Though I might not be able to resonate with all the rep in this story, I still enjoyed it. It was also great to see such unapologetic queer rep! I loved that both Noam and Dev were genderfluid mages.
Leah
With NINE OF SWORDS, REVERSED, Xan West continues to stun with comforting descriptions, relatable characters, and warm friendships! The writing is as lovely and soothing as always, and by the end, I found myself with three new characters to love!

Read the full review on my blog.
Jinni
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book at a time where I desperately needed an escape from my thoughts. the fantasy aspect tied up with trauma and gender feels was the perfect blend to get me out of my brain. I appreciate this book so much.
Katrina
Dec 31, 2018
Andie
Jul 10, 2019
starlingheron
Dec 30, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: changing the cover image 4 23 Dec 27, 2018 03:44PM
Xan West is the nom de plume of Corey Alexander, an autistic queer fat Jewish genderqueer writer and community activist with multiple disabilities who spends a lot of time on Twitter.

Xan's erotica has been published widely, including in the Best S/M Erotica series, the Best Gay Erotica series, and the Best Lesbian Erotica series. Their work has been described by reviewers as “offering the erotica