Start by marking “Never Forget (Victor Lessard #3)” as Want to Read:
Never Forget (Victor Lessard #3)

Never Forget

(Victor Lessard #3)

From the acclaimed “master of the Quebec thriller” comes an action-packed, breakneck mystery featuring Montreal police detectives Victor Lessard and Jacinthe Taillon, who race to track down a ruthless killer.

When an eccentric homeless man jumps to his death in Old Montreal, the police discover two wallets in his possession: those of a retired psychiatrist who was recently
Published January 18th 2020 by Dundurn (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Never Forget, please sign up.
Kendra This is the English translation of book 3 in the series, French title "Je me souviens". More books in English will follow from Dundurn!

Start your review of Never Forget (Victor Lessard #3)
Paromjit
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is Martin Michaud's third in the DS Victor Lessard Montreal series written in French but the first to be translated into English. This is a complex story, with numerous threads, that take quite a while to become connected, making this feel on occasion like an unwieldy and choppy read until it begins to make sense. Lessard is a divorced, disgraced, PTSD suffering, police detective who has returned to the Major Crimes Unit, partnered with Jacinthe Taillon. He has a traumatic family history, ...more
Liz
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Once again, I’m starting a mystery series in the middle. But for once, it’s through no fault of my own. The publisher decided to start translating the series, originally written in French, with the third book. The problem with this is that we know Lessard had a rough go from a prior case. He’s been demoted and is still recovering, both physically and mentally. In a bit of a twist from the normal detective, he gets sick every time he sees a dead body. Not so his partner, Jacinthe Taillon. She’s ...more
Sandy
This series has been adapted into a TV show that is hugely popular in Quebec but the books were only available in french. Now they’re being translated, beginning with book #3. The MC’s are detectives Victor Lessard & Jacinthe Taillon, partners in the Major Crimes Unit in Montréal. As the story opens, we learn Victor has just returned to work after being demoted. HIs last case left him a changed man & his physical/psychological fitness is about to be tested.

It all begins when an elderly
Thomas
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down to 3 stars.
Victor Lessard and Jacinthe Taillon are Montreal Police detectives who are investigating the death of a woman found in a warehouse. More deaths occur and they do eventually find who is responsible.
Pros: I liked the characters and the way the plot is developed. The translation is excellent. This is the 1st book in the series translated into English. There are vivid descriptions of car chases in bitter cold winter in Montreal.
Cons: The murders are connected to a
Carolyn
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I wish to extend my thanks to NetGalley and Dundurn Press for this gripping, fast-paced police procedural with its ingenious, but very complicated plot.

I see that this is the 3rd book in the Victor Lessard series, but the first to be translated from French into English. This intense, thrilling mystery can be read as a standalone and references have been made to previous situations and events. It is apparent that Lessard and his partner have a working history in past criminal investigations, and
Joss
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems that we in the English speaking world have been missing out on a great series. Luckily for us, that omission has now been set right with the upcoming publication of Martin Michaud's third book in the Victor Lessard series, Never Forget.
This book as the title suggests, revolves around memories, or as here, the lack of memories. As Andre Lortie says at the beginning of the book, "I woulda liked to have memories'. His memories were stolen from him in an experimental mind control program,
Kylie H
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book will really appeal to Jo Nesbø / Harry Hole fans. The books main character Victor Lessard is a Detective Sergeant who is carrying a lot of baggage. He and his equally volatile partner Jacinthe Taillon are investigating some very brutal and disturbing murders that seem to be pointing to a link to the assassination of JFK. Not sure if this is a legitimate link or a red herring the two constantly bicker and argue about whether to believe this or not.
In the meantime it appears that
Sherri Thacker
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Quickly I realized this book is not for me.I had a really tough time following this story. I did not connect with the characters or the story line for that matter. It’s a really really long book, over 500 pages. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this complimentary book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Toni Osborne
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Victor Lessard Thriller book #1

This is cleverly weaved and thought-provoking story will send shivers down your spine within its few first pages. This tale is set in francophone Montreal and because Victor Lessard is the kind of series that makes you addicted, incredibly so. I am warning you will be hooked from the start. I was, I simply devoured this book!

“Never Forget” is a difficult investigation with multiple bifurcations in a snowy Montreal, "sloché" and icy that begins for Detective
Monnie
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why the decision was made to translate to English the third book in this series instead of the first remains a puzzle to me, but I'm sure my enjoyment of it suffered as a result (as well as from a few glitches in the translation). While this book stands on its own fairly well, knowing more about the main characters' backgrounds and previous interactions would have made my reading more enjoyable. Nor was I comforted by the author's suggestion that readers are "not to worry" about the lack of ...more
eyes.2c
Compelling Quebec thriller!

A gritty murder mystery that segues into the bizarre. Set in Montriel, a detective and his partner are confronted by a series of grotesque murders that have a dark history.
I reveled in this thriller. Devastating Quebecian crime noi! Always that cutting edge that is present in many of the movie and literary contributions from this part of the world.
I loved Victor Lessard a detective sergeant with the Major Crimes Unit of the Montreal Police. Victor is introspective,
Rosemary Standeven
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I had great hopes for this book. The blurb sounded really interesting – a homeless man committing suicide, leaving behind two wallets and many questions for a bewildered police force. Unfortunately, my hopes of a good read were not realised. It was not a bad book, and some of the plot lines were quite riveting. But, as a whole, it did not work for me.
I did really like the character of the overweight, deliberately obnoxious police officer, Jacinthe Taillon, whose complete lack of tact was
Vicki
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Martin Michaud has written a taut mystery that will have you guessing until the very end as to who is and why they are killing so many very important and connected people within the Montreal area.

Victor Lassard is a very complex character. Flawed and working hard to keep his demons at bay is an excellent and thought provoking detective sergeant with the Montreal Major Crimes Unit. Lassard and his partner Jacinthe Taillon, as well as the rest of the Major Crimes Unit are working a very difficult
Jo Beth
Review: Never Forget (A Victor Lessard Thriller) by Martin Michaud

My thanks to Dundurn Press via NetGalley for providing me an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for my honest review.

The reason that I requested this book was mainly due to the fact that Victor Lessard is a recurring character in Mr. Michaud’s novels. This is the first Victor Lessard Thriller translated into English. Considering all of the raves about these Victor Lessard Thrillers, I was excited about reading this book. My
LianaReads blog
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an interesting read and story overall!
I want to think that this will be made a tv show/ series if it's not already as I have read it somewhere but can't certify if It’s true or not.We all know the story and so many twists and turns that Kennedy's assassination went through and all the conspiracies theories about it as well. This story is based on one of them and it goes for a long period of time as much as 30 years.
In these years there are so many things happening in the professional and
Hannelore Cheney
Thank you NetGalley and Severn House for the eARC.
This is an intense, absorbing novel; intricate and so well translated, it left me breathless. I'm not a fan of car chases, but the one in this book is awsome!
Detectives Lessard and Taillion are looking into the probable suicide of a homeless man, not realizing the intense manhunt they're about to start for a serial killer who is killing notable and respected members of Montreal's upper classes in strange and horrifying ways. But this is so much
Jo Beth
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Review: Never Forget (A Victor Lessard Thriller) by Martin Michaud

Elaine Tomasso
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Dundurn Press for an advance copy of Never Forget, the third, but first published in English, novel to feature Montreal based Detective Sergeant Victor Lessard and his parter Detective Jacinthe Taillon.

When a homeless man commits suicide he is found to have left two wallets behind, one belonging to a lawyer and one to a psychiatrist. When the psychiatrist is found murdered in a ritualistic manner and the lawyer to be missing Lessard and Taillot are unsure what
Barry Hammond
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming from Dundurn in January, 2020, is the first of the Victor Lessard Quebec thrillers to appear in English. Although it's already a critically acclaimed French language TV series it hasn't yet taken English Canada by storm. This book should change all that. A thick, fast-paced thriller, "Never Forget" is the third book in the series (to be followed by two more) and introduces Detective Sergeant Victor Lessard to English Canada. Lessard is a tough, physical, cop prone to bursts of rage but ...more
Toni
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This is the third book in the Victor Lessard series by Martin Michaud.

This author and series has never been on my radar before but I was hooked from the very beginning. This is one of those books that you can’t skim. You need to pay attention to all the details and all the alleyways the plot leads you down.

In the beginning you don’t think the Kennedy assassin has anything to do with the case at all. It seems like just a bit of fluff and you scoff to yourself, “yeah, right.” Then as they
AlisaK
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series alert!!! Never Forget is number 3 in the series but the only one translated into English, and read fine as a stand alone.

When a homeless man jumps to his death the police find two wallets in his possession, one of a recently murdered psychiatrist and one from a missing lawyer. The murders are gruesome and bizarre with no obvious connections to the suicide.

With police detectives Victor Lessard and Jacinthe Taillon working together the piece the pieces of this puzzle, the killer is
Tanmay Gambhir
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much Netgalley for the e-arc. I enjoyed this book definitely a good thriller or mystery. It was so action paced but also had a good plot which made this such a fun read. I was on the edge of my seat it was definitely dark but overall I loved it. The characters were not developed much but I love the backstory and background so kudos TO author for that.
Overall I would recommend this to any thriller reader
JustJessie
Renee
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Never Forget is a mystery based out of Quebec featuring Montreal police detectives Victor Lessard and Jacinthe Taillon. The detectives are investigating a serial murderer on a killing spree of some high powered figures in the Montreal community. When the apparent suicide of a homeless man is found in possession of wallets of a retired psychiatrist and a missing corporate lawyer, the detectives end up on a wild chase to figure out how the puzzle pieces seem to fit.
While this investigation is
Tracy Wood
This is a complicated, long, book traversing the decades from the 1960s to 2012 which is when this book was written. It also takes some liberties with North American history but not in too distorting a way.

When a homeless man leaves two wallets behind before jumping to his death it is discovered that one of the owners is missing while the other was recently murdered. An open and shut case then? Remorse at what he'd done causing the successful suicide attempt? Of course not! What is discovered
Tracy Wood
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019

Sharon C
I seem to be in the minority’s on this one, but I was hugely disappointed by Never Forget. As you’ll see by the description, this is the third book in a popular Canadian series, and the first to be translated into English. It stars police detective Victor Lessard as a troubled, struggling alcoholic with a girlfriend and two children. The story starts with a homeless man who commits suicide and is found in possession of two wallets. The two wallets belong to individuals who turn up dead, killed ...more
Meredith Rankin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book three in the Victor Lessard series, but the first translated into English. Why did the publishers decide to do this? I have no idea. While this could've been confusing (and apparently was for some readers), Michaud includes a lengthy note at the beginning of the book that gives us quite a bit of background on Lessard and his partner Taillon. That was helpful.

One oddity: sometimes Michaud refers to characters by both their first and their last name in the same scene. For example,
Jean Kolinofsky
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Andre Lortie, a homeless man with psychological issues, plunges to his death, two wallets are found in his possession. The first belonged to a Jane Doe whose body was found in a warehouse. The other belongs to Nathan Lawson, a lawyer who soon disappears and is later discovered murdered in a similar fashion to the Jane Doe. The investigation falls to Victor Lessard of Montreal’s Major Crimes Unit.

Shortly before his disappearance, Lawton requested files from the firm’s archives which have
Sally Boyington
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Montreal detective Victor Lessard becomes a target as he tries to unravel a complicated quest for revenge that takes him back decades, across 1,500 miles, and into conspiracy theories with ominous implications. As he struggles to put his personal life back together, he and his partner, Jacinthe Taillon, must decide whether they trust each other.

This gritty police procedural, the third in a five-book series, drops clues like breadcrumbs. Michaud’s presentation cleverly provides just enough
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Little Secrets
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The New Husband
  • River of Lies (B.C. Blues Crime, #5)
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Rain Will Come
  • Raven Lane
Reconnu par la critique comme le « maître du thriller québécois », Martin Michaud a pratiqué le métier d’avocat d’affaires pendant vingt ans avant de se consacrer pleinement à l’écriture.

Ses romans lui ont valu un vaste lectorat au Québec et en Europe, ainsi que de nombreux prix littéraires.

Depuis 2017, il scénarise pour la télé la série Victor Lessard, qui a remporté le premier prixau Banff World

Victor Lessard (5 books)
  • Il ne faut pas parler dans l'ascenseur (Victor Lessard #1)
  • La Chorale du Diable (Victor Lessard #2)
  • Ghetto X
  • Violence à l'origine (Victor Lessard #4)