Start by marking “BlacKkKlansman (Screenplay)” as Want to Read:

Written by Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz,
Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
Based on the book by Ron Stallworth

Biography, Crime, Drama

Ron Stallworth, an African American police officer from Colorado Springs, CO, successfully manages to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan branch with the help of a Jewish surrogate who eventually becomes its leader. Based on actual
Screenplay , 125 pages
Published July 17th 2017 (first published May 13th 2014)

·  10,916 ratings  ·  1,599 reviews

Start your review of BlacKkKlansman (Screenplay)
Petra-X
The best part of the book, the pee your pants, snork your coffee, kick your legs up laughing part of the book was when David Duke came to town and despite protestations to the higher ups, Stallworth (our hero, the black cop) was detailed to protect him. Stallworth asked Duke if he could have a picture taken with him and Duke was ok with that, so Stallworth put an arm around him and Duke freaked and Stallworth was very apologetic. Stallworth then arranged with his no. 2 to take a pic on the count ...more
Licha
I wanted to like this book. There's a great story here, it's just that it was boring, I didn't quite like the way the author came across, and I had a hard time getting through some parts of this. There were so many abbreviated groups that after a while I stopped caring which group was on what side. I also hated how every so often the author had to remind the reader how he was the one in charge of the investigation by parenthesizing that he was the one the KKK members were talking to, even when ...more
Lori
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great story, not the most exceptional writing. I'm glad somebody protects us from terrorist. I'm pleased that I read it!
Lauren
A fascinating story that made for a medicore storytelling experience. Stallworth could have benefitted from a ghostwriter and a heavy-handed editor. Forty year old petty grievaces against co-workers don't belong in a biography, and neither does repetition after repetition (...) His sidebars and commentary are flat with little to no nuance and description.

Where this book shines (entertains?) is in exposing what a hack many of these hate groups are/were in the 1970s. Advertising their meetings in
Carole
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Klansman by Ron Stallworth seems so far-fetched that it reads like fiction. But, alas, it is non-fiction. A black police detective from Colorado Springs really did manage to infiltrate the KKK in 1978. It is a fascinating retelling of how this could possibly come about and manages to show the organization's leaders and members for who they really were. Food for thought in the volatile times we are now living in.
Mackey
See the movie, read the book or both - hopefully you already have done one or the other. If you haven't I encourage you to do so now. It was relevant when it happened, it is more so now. I rarely find the movie as good as or better than the book but both are fantastic.
Rebecca McNutt
To really appreciate this book, you have to ask yourself, "what if I had to befriend my enemies?" For Detective Ron Stallworth, it goes beyond that - diving deep into secret rituals, cross-burning, race meetings and more, he joins the Ku Klux Klan undercover as one member of one of the most frightening and frankly bizarre groups to exist within the United States. As the story continues, at its core it becomes less about racism and more about morality or lack thereof, and why such hatred thrives ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Success often lies not in what happens but in what you prevent from happening.”

Here is a case where the movie is guaranteed to be better than the book. No offense to Ron Stallworth, but Spike Lee does words for a living and you, my friend, were a policeman. I’ll catch the film . . . . eventually. Most likely when it hits the overpriced movie channels/subscription services I fork over my hard earned dollars for every month without
Elijah Oakes  Benson
This book, more than anything else, is a testament to authors who should hire ghostwriters. If Ron Stallworth did in fact hire a ghostwriter, he should have hired a better one. The premise, a black police officer masquerading as a card carrying member of the KKK via a white undercover surrogate, is fascinating. It is also quickly sanded to almost nothing as we learn that, ultimately, Stallworth's lengthy charade amounted amounted to little more than a funny story and speculation regarding crimes ...more
June Volz
Read like a police report, sort of dry and repetitive....The story is compelling, but a shame he had to wait so long to tell it. Biggest take away - people who belong to hate groups are not very bright.
Emily
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black Klansman is such an intriguing story. It's a true story about a black undercover cop who infiltrates the local KKK over the phone. A movie is coming out by Jordan Peele & Spike Lee, and I'm really looking forward to it.

It was interesting to see what's changed since the 70s and what hasn't. I know some people think that racism doesn't exist anymore, or it's so much "better" now, but so many of the fucked up things that were said in this book felt familiar to today's shitty American
Ken
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d first heard about Black Klansman after seeing a trailer for the forthcoming Spike Lee movie.
I’ve always been interested in the period of American history, so I instantly wanted to see it.

As my local multiplex has delaying the release by a week (possibly because of the Bank Holiday in England?) and then discovering that it’s based on the memoirs of Ron Stallworth, the book instantly jumped to the top of my reading pile.

It tells the story of Stallworth a black police officer in Colorado
Dotty
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Underwhelming. Poorly written. Fascinating story, but the writing was never compelling.

I’m hoping for much more from the upcoming film by Spike Lee & Co. (Which was the reason I read the book in the first place.)
ALLEN
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly sixty years ago a white journalist, John Howard Griffin, disguised himself as a black Southerner, and the treatment he received resulted in BLACK LIKE ME. Roughly twenty years later a black Colorado policeman, Ron Stallworth, was on the receiving end of a Klan recruitment push by someone who had never laid eyes on him. Stallworth decided to ride that off pony as long as he could, and the results wound up here in this volume, BLACK KLANSMAN. This heartfelt and achingly real volume about ...more
Emily Mac Rae
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be searing. I am reading this book and Between the World and me. I cannot help but interject myself as a character in these two books. As an African American and mother of a son I take the moments 0f benign hatred and violence personally. There are no solutions given. There are no concluding words of comfort. I consider Ron Stallworth courageous for his work in the police force at that time. I consider him a hero for sharing his story. Many have criticized his writing style. ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
2.5*

This is really about one short investigation. If not for the section on Norad and Stallworth's short interaction with David Duke I would have rated it even lower but those were somewhat interesting.
Kressel Housman
I was intrigued by Spike Lee’s movie “BlackkKlansman” from the reviews it got this summer, but only when it was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay did I realize it was based on a book. I always like to read the book before seeing the movie, so I immediately ordered it from the library.

I’ve given the book 4 stars, but its author, Ron Stallworth, is a 5 star human being. The story of how he infiltrated and spied on the Klan is astounding in itself, but that was when he was a very young cop. He’
Fahad Naeem
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, history, memoirs
When I saw the book title, I thought it was some sort of information regarding the cult but I got very disappointed after reading it. It was a mere undercover investigation in which Ron Stallworth's name was used.

He did nothing except talking on the phone and yet he presented as if he's done something extraordinary.

It's a dry read and I found myself meandering over course of the book. The whole book comprised of the Colorado chapter and he didn't give the insight of the KKK.

One word :
Bert Z
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a story!! The cover and description makes it seem like something it kind of isn’t, however, it’s still a pretty bizarre story.

I do think the author could’ve been a bit more lively with his writing, it’s not badly written, but it’s a pretty eccentric story and I think it deserves an eccentric voice to tell it.

Looking forward to the film getting released next week.
Mehrsa
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't seen the movie yet. The book is fascinating. It's a bit odd that it took so long to write and it's quite tragic that it's still relevant. This book (coupled with a few other profiles of read of the klan and white supremacist groups) makes me realize that "they're all a bunch of dumb clowns," as Stallworth overhears. I mean, David Duke is the Grandmaster Clown. It's unbelievable that the man still has any relevance at all.

Stallworth also infiltrates the black power movement. I wish he
Christine
This book is important in terms of what is said and not said. Stallworth may not be the most gripping writer in the world - and I don't think he is trying to be - but he tells a story everyone should read.
Joy
I saw Spike Lee’s movie ”Blackklansman” which was based on this book and was very impressed by it. I wanted to read the book that the film was based on and it does not disappoint. Mr. Stallworth is a great writer and his time working undercover as a Klansman in the late 70’s is quite an amazing story!

I highly recommend this memoir! And the movie is incredible as well. It doesn’t really matter if you see it before or after reading the book.
Michael O'Brien
This was an interesting story. Of course, it was because of Detective Stallworth, as a black man, infiltrating the KKK. But I also found it interesting in hearing his experiences as the first black officer on the Colorado Springs PD at a transitional time in America where black Americans were increasingly breaking previous barriers and moving into jobs historically unavailable to them.

Stallworth’s infiltration was both audacious and clever. The KKK members, other than David Duke , don’t come off
Miguel
Aug 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stallworth's wishy-washy memoir of an uneventful undercover investigation is better suited for a dinner-party anecdote than a published book. I read Stallworth's text because of an interest in Spike Lee's film, but had to put Stallworth's book down because of my objection to its reactionary political orientation. Lee's film is pretty good so I decided to finish the book, but I found myself disappointed.

Make no mistake, Stallworth is a collaborator. In this book, he recounts infiltration and
Diz
With the rise of hate groups and the alt-right these days, this book has become really relevant. The power of this true-life story is that it reveals how buffoonish and small-minded the members of the Klan were when Stallworth infiltrated it in the late 70s. If you take away the fear of the Klan, then it loses its power. It also raises hope in that the anti-Klan demonstrations these days are much more powerful than in the time of this investigation. Overall, it is an easy and fun read. The only ...more
Leah
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually a 3.5 star for me. It is a super quick read. I am still trying to process the fact Ron Stallworth was able to pull off this unthinkable plan of infiltrating the KKK. His book clearly, emphatically and repeatedly calls out the KKK as the national terrorist organization that it was, is and always shall be. I was especially taken by the history of the KKK in the state of Colorado. “Our history is always in our present.”
Patti
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. I am sure I will love the movie but the book just left me feeling "meh." And a book about a Black man infiltrating the KKK should NOT leave me feeling that way!

I think the problem is that we have more an anecdote than a story. It's a great dinner party starter "Hey guys! Guess what I did?" But of course when writing a book, one has to drag out the anecdote and that's when the irrelevant stuff starts trickling in or, in the case of this book, stuff literally
MJ Beauchamp
This morning I finished Ron Stallworth's memoir, amazed at such a crazy story, and timely celebrating Spike Lee's Oscar win last night - a long time coming - for Best Adapted Screenplay. I will say though I was hopeful for Lee's win in the Best Director category, I thought for sure the Adapted Screenplay prize would go to the adaptation of James Baldwin's novel If Beale Street Could Talk. In any case, both Stallworth and Lee definitely deserve the recognition as any attempt to denounce hate is ...more
britt_brooke
I respect Stallworth’s tenacity, but this fell flat. This had the trappings of a compelling story, but for all the build up, it completely fizzled out. Some parts didn’t add up. And the writing and audio narration were mediocre at best. I haven’t seen the movie, and don’t plan to, but it has to be better.
Ed
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a crime fiction writer, I enjoyed reading about the undercover operations performed by the police. We saw the Spike Lee movie based on the book and enjoyed it.
What're your favorite books around 200 pages? 1 5 Jul 24, 2018 10:15AM

• Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger
  • Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America
  • How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice From White People
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • Fear: Trump in the White House
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"
  • Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist
  • The Library Book
  • My Sister, the Serial Killer
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • On the Come Up
  • American Prison: A Reporter's Undercover Journey into the Business of Punishment
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers
  • Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive
  • The Nickel Boys
  • Becoming
“If one black man, aided by a bevy of good, decent, dedicated, open-, and liberal-minded whites and Jews can succeed in prevailing over a group of white racists by making them look like the ignorant fools they truly are, then imagine what a nation of like-minded individuals can accomplish.” 10 likes
“Success often lies not in what happens but in what you prevent from happening” 9 likes