Start by marking “Shades of Magic #3: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Magic #3: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)

Shades of Magic #3: The Steel Prince

(Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)

V.E. Schwab tells a new story in her bestselling gaslamp fantasy series, as Maxim’s exile brings him face to face with the Pirate Queen.
Paperback, Cover B Variant
Published December 19th 2018 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Magic #3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Magic #3

Ashley Daviau
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better and better with each instalment! The story is being fleshed out more and let me tell you, it’s one hell of a story. I’d love a full length novel version if I’m being honest, that’s how much I’m enjoying these! I’ve gained a new appreciation for Maxim and I’m loving the new characters we’ve been introduced to as well. And I love how each instalment is more and more action packed and ends on such a cliffhanger that you can’t help but pick up the next immediate ...more
Maria
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EPIC! Major Avatar: The Last Airbender vibes! A great example of using paneling to your full advantage.. Well done!
Jessy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shades of Magic #1: The Steel Prince
Shades of Magic #2: The Steel Prince
Shades of Magic #4: The Steel Prince

“Is that allowed?”

“Don’t you get it? There are no rules.”

This issue took so long to arrive, I almost went crazy wating for it.

But it was worth it! Both cover variants are gorgeous (they just keep getting better and better, don’t they?) and the art is as amazing as always.

Isra and Arisa are so fucking badass, it is unbelievable. I need more. Also, Isra constantly calling Maxim “Princeling
Filipa
It surprises me how much I've forgot about the magic system. The Essen Tasch (that we get to learn about in A Gathering of Shadows), specially, really gave us a view on all the cool stuff people could do. To be honest, in comic format, is being way harder for me to follow up battles and magical engagements. I'm just not sure if it's harder because I'm not used to reading in this format and sometimes I get confused (I even caught myself reading backwards as if it was a manga for a few times - I k ...more
Ray
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was far too short!

The awaited meeting between Isra and the pirate queen is upon us!
So basically the pirate queen is hosting a tournament to fill a vacant spot in her crew and the winner gets to fight her, if they survive, then they win the spot.
So naturally Isra decides to compete, not to in but to kick the pirate queen's ass!
And of course, Maxim refuses to let her go on her own to he competes as well.

I just adore how badass Isra is, and can't wait for the next issue!!
Daisy Gonzalez
Ok this one was waaaay to short!
Manon the Malicious
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
4.75 Stars

Things are escalating fast and this issue was very very close to perfect.
I should get #4 on the 30st, can't wait.
Kathryn
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-comics
Review

This will be short as are the others because this is an issue from a volume. In March a full bind-up of all four issues will be released and I am sure people will have long reviews lol. But I am seriously loving this comic series. I am excited because Schwab is writing more volumes. I think three in all but anyway this is so fun. The third issue is all about the fight between potential newcomers to join Arisa's crew. But Isra and Maxim are taking part as well but not to get chummy with Ari
Ashley
There is so much action packed into such a short comic, I thoroughly enjoyed reading more of the story and I'm still highly intrigued to see where it is going to go. I can't wait to read the rest of the issues when they are published.
Amanda
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt very quick, even for a comic. I thought the story was okay but really light. The artwork is still amazing. I think I just wish there was more with the political storyline we were first introduced to at the beginning of the series. The fighting scenes were great to look at though.
Mike E
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, I'm absolutely loving it.
ReadandGiggles
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ughhh! It's getting sooo good!
Mandy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I swear, these comics just keep getting better as the story goes along, I loved this one! I loved the action and I can't wait for the next volume!
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noooo why did it feel so short :((
Marhaba Gul
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want MORE!
Marti
i'm waiting january 15th like the arrival of our lord and savior jesus christ the sentiment is the same
C.R.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Kind of confusing at first. I breezed through them in under an hour. I'm not used to reading comics, but I feel like depth was missing in these comics. Some scenes jumped back and forth several times with out indication and it was hard to follow in that regard.

I had expected more from this first installment. I want to know more about Maxim and what made Schwab want to tell his story. I hoping the next installment we'll get more of that.

I felt that the events wrapped up too quickly (comics are sh
Carl Power
I’m really torn about this, the story was ok, but didn’t blow me alway like I thought it would. I understand that they only have so many pages per issue, but I felt like this needed to be longer then a 4 issue story arc as it felt rushed at times and I still after reading it don’t know much about ‘Maxim’ as a character. I get they might do more with the character in future story arcs, but as a stand-alone comic series I didn’t give me the excitement when reading the shade of magic series. The ar ...more
Brittany
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. That’s all I can say about this volume as it absolutely blew me away! This volume was filled with so much action and I loved it! The strength of this comic not only lies in the writing, which is fantastic, but also lies in the art for this. The artist for this comic has done an excellent job capturing every movement and moment. I love it.
I also am able to see so much of Rhy in Maxim in this. I always wondered how Rhy was Maxim’s son but seeing this makes so much sense. I cannot wait to con
The Awkward Bibliophile
This one gave me flashbacks to AGOS and it was great, I loved the action in this issue, as well as getting to see more characterisation of both Isra and Arisa (I love how badass Arisa is, I can't wait to see more of her fighting skills!)
One issue left to go for volume 1 and I know that V is working on more issues in The Steel Prince comic book series so I'm so excited to see what else is in store for these characters!!
Jenna
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeously rendered elemental fight scenes! My only gripe is how brief it felt, but I suppose that’s what you get in a tournament-style battle where the majority of the matchups are dealt with in a single spread. This just has me wanting to reread the original series, especially as I might have mostly ignored Maxim...
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Whereas in the third volume we have a street fighter version of the Essen Tasch... so not much development, but entertaining nonetheless...
Maria
Yes! Lots of female badassery and kickassery :D:D:D
Kyra Boisseree
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm so late in reading this! But I finally got around to it and will order the next one right away
Ali
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, comic-books
Review: Stuff is really heating up with the Pirate Queen,and the story plot is moving fast with battles to join the Pirate Queen to get close enough to kill her. Wow, there is a lot happening in this issue. I definitely need the next issue soon, but sadly the snow is keeping me from picking up my copy. Also, it's so strange to see Rhy's dad in this light, reminds me a lot of Kell and Rhy...

Favorite quote: NA

Would I? Reread? Maybe when the comic series is over. Recommend to others? If they like V
Mary Nguyen (fox & wit)
What the heck did I just read? This was far too short and felt wildly underwhelming.
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Really quick and the art style makes it a little hard to follow the fights but the Pirate Queen is so intriguing!
Bailey Shrewsbury
Hate the art still. I know comics are short but literally nothing happened in this one. I’m not sure how much longer l’ll be continuing these.
Gillian
This is why I can't read graphic novels. I have no idea what's happening during the battle scene. LOL 😂 But I like where the story is headed!

• Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives
  • Giant Days 2016 Holiday Special #1
  • The Mystery of The Fool and The Vanisher
  • La Fille du vent (Yoko Tsuno #9)
  • Channel Zero
  • Blackout (Jimmy Coates, #7)
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • The Calling / Changeling (Sweep, #7-8)
  • Doctor Who: The English Way of Death
  • Black Magick, Vol. 2: Awakening II
  • Locke & Key: Master Edition Volume One
  • Civil War
  • Chemin perdu
  • Margaret Dashwood and the Enchanted Atlas (Regency Magic, #2)
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic Graphic Novels (8 books)
  • Shades of Magic #1: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • Shades of Magic #2: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)
  • Shades of Magic #4: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Shades of Magic #5: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5)
  • Shades of Magic #6: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #6)
  • Shades of Magic #7: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #7)
  • Shades of Magic #8: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8)