Start by marking “Lady Airell's Choice (Ladies of Ardena #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Airell's Choice (Ladies of Ardena #1)

Lady Airell's Choice

(Ladies of Ardena #1)

Will one choice save her kingdom from destruction?

During a time of peace and prosperity, Princess Airell of Daireann is given the rare privilege of choosing her own suitor. As eligible rulers from all over Ardena vie for her hand, a betrothal to Prince Tristan of Orlaith seems to be the clear choice. Yet, in the midst of Lady Airell's happiness, the winds of change are com
Published January 11th 2019 (first published January 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Airell's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Airell's Choice

Start your review of Lady Airell's Choice (Ladies of Ardena #1)
Faye
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Melanie Dickerson and Jody Hedlund will fall in love with Rachel Skatvold's Christian medieval romances.

A fantastic introduction to the Ladies of Ardena, with heroes and heroines courageous and brave. I loved how this book also sets up well for the following books in the series, introducing many wonderful characters whom I hope to see later on in the series. I really admired Reagan, her love for her husband, natural leadership and regal bearing.

Well paced, with great character developme
Marguerite Gray
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1187 Ardena among kings and queens—good and evil. It brings to mind that every level of society and all throughout history individuals have choices to do good or to do evil. Sometimes the choice is between two good choices. The heroine is faced with choice after choice. She has a choice to save the kingdom or let someone else do it. Can she sacrifice her own dreams for the masses? Could I? What if I had to face a terrifying marriage in exchange for peace between countries? The most I have to do ...more
Debbie
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Lady Airell’s Choice" by Rachel Skatvold is another great book. It left me wanting to read the rest of the stories. It is a tale of great sacrifices. Every character, minus one very evil king, makes sacrifices for the good of others. I am going to have to read the other three in this series now because I have to find out the answers to questions that I have concerning some of the characters, well, let me be honest, I want to know more about all these characters.

The ending of this book has me cr
I started this book and I loved the idea but didn't care for the style. It feels like it may have been written more for teens. I did like some of the aspects of the story, but I had other books I wanted to read more.
Carissa Kincart
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a solid Christian fictional story. You are quickly engrossed in the story. The characters are very likable. The story is fast-paced and really draws you in. I cannot wait for the next installment of this series.
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celebrate-lit, review
“She would have to make sacrifices for her family and her kingdom. No more would she dream of having choices and being free. Serving her kingdom was her duty as Princess Airell of Daireann.”

An avid historical fiction fan, I nonetheless admit that the Middle Ages has never held much appeal for me, nor does royal life. That seems like a much too stifled and public existence for my taste, and I never had dreams of becoming a princess or a queen. Therefore it would seem odd that this book caught my
Deana Dick
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This has been such an enchanting story that I wanted it to keep going forever. I love the time period and reading about castles. You are swept away to a land where Kings rule and danger surrounds you. I have really started to like this genre and love how the author makes the story come alive. It was easy to realize who was going to be evil in the story as the author unveils the character of a powerful person in the kingdom.
I admired Lady Airell’s sacrifice to save her family and the people of t
Erin
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
This was quite the read. It starts off sweet. You’ve got a young girl. A princess in actuality who is a bit rough and tumble and loves the outdoors. Her father gives her her choice of husband and she chooses the one she wants. But before she can be wed things go wrong. Their castle and lands are under siege and she must decide how to save her people. Can she do what’s right and true? Will she sacrifice her own happiness for her kingdom?

I enjoyed this book. The book read quickly and kept me inter
Donna C
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I think you should know:
Lady Airell’s Choice by Rachel Skatvold is a Christian Medieval Romance. It is the first book in The Ladies of Ardena series. It is set in 1187 in Medieval Kingdoms that are at war.

What You might need to know:
Being as this book contains war, it also contains fighting and death however it is presented in such a way that it would not be inappropriate for mature Young Adult readers to enjoy as well as Adults.

What I think about this book:
If you are ever looking for a g
Kimmie
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading a book by Rachel Skatvold and it will not be my last! I truly loved this author’s perspective on life and her writing style as well. I believe that it is book one in a series and I am already looking forward to what will come next 😊

I thought that Princess Airell was a really strong character who showed great courage in the face of the unknown, and she was soft when it counted. Her interactions with others were what you would expect of a future queen and made for a g
Connie Saunders
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most young girls, The Princess of Daireann dreams of finding a handsome prince who will love her and cherish her forever but Lady Airell discovers that this may not happen for her. To save her family and her kingdom, she must make a decision that will require great sacrifice and perhaps doom her to a life with a man who doesn't love her as she deserves.

Lady Airell's Choice is labeled as a Christian medieval romance so there are kings, castles, adventure, and danger. There is also good vers
Amy
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am truly excited to have started this new medieval series and I just don't think there is enough of those stories out there.

This story was full of twists and turns, family, love, and heartbreak. The characters were all set up and very easy to follow, especially with all the kingdoms involved. I enjoyed the charts in the back of the book as a handy reference as well.

This was at times an emotional read and compelling. Especially as the characters found themselves in situations that were not heal
Amy
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have previously read and enjoyed books by Rachel Skatvold. When I had the chance to read her Lady Airell's Choice, I was so excited. I was not disappointed in this first book from Ladies of Ardena series at all. This story is full of action, adventure, suspense and romance. I loved that there was an element of faith entwined within the tale. Lady Airell was a great character. I admired her bravery and courage. It was so very good.
I am going to give Lady Airell's Choice four and a half stars.
Kara
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine was reading this and the cover caught my attention...LOVED this story from the first chapter! Those who enjoy Melanie Dickerson's YA fiction are sure to fall in love with this Christian medieval series with both flawed and honorable characters deciding where their loyalty belongs.

This is one of my fave plots, Prince Tiernay and Airell are forced into an arranged marriage to bring peace to their people. Tiernay is SUCH a great character, torn between pleasing his evil uncle to sa
Mary
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this medieval adventure, complete with princesses and castles and knights and battles. Set in fictional locations, nevertheless, the story feels authentic. I admired the plucky heroine, Airell, who was willing to sacrifice for her kingdom. I like the way she grew and matured, as did her love for others. The story contains some welcome surprises too. I appreciate the strong faith element too, as the main characters try to follow the Lord’s leading. I think youth as well as adults will e ...more
Emily Yager
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Get swept up into the lands of Kings and Queen's, Heros and Heroines. This story takes us to the year 1187 and the adventure and dangers surrounding castle life. While the style of the writing felt like it was targeted more toward teens. This was an interesting read and a fun trip to the middle ages and a good start to what promises to be an entertaining series with a faith based backdrop woven in. A good read to check out. Especially for fans of Jody Hedlund and Melanie Dickerson.
Rebekah Haynes
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This charming novel featured all the things to dream up in a classic romance ! This novel whisks the reader to another time and place with Lords ladies and knights and princes . This swoon worthy romance filled with adventure highlights maturity and trust in God in the middle of difficult choices and is a must read for those who love Medieval romance!
Laura Meyer
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written & engrossing!

Very well written and entertaining. This story doesn't have much humor or lightheartedness in it, & I missed those elements. However this story was very engrossing, & enjoyable. I like a read that leaves you looking forward to the next one, & this book is one of those reads! Looking forward to book 2 already!
Heather Kirchhoff
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Airell's Choice is a wonderful read. I didn't want to put the book down.
kourtnie Kroll
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a heart warming tale of redemption, change and forgiveness. Not all is what it appears to be and Airell show is what it means to look past the surface and give others a chance.
English
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Lady Airell's Quest was a nice little romance story. As far as Medieval fiction goes it's more on the fantasy lite/Disney style fairytale line. I would not take it seriously as historical fiction (and it's not meant to be set in a real time or place anyway), and there were cliches aplenty.
There were a few of the (inevitable) Americanisms and a few details that weren't well thought out, Like 'holes' in armour, or leaving a fortress defended only by a handful of women.

However, its a good light r
Becky Dempsey
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading "Lady Airell's Choice". I liked the medieval setting and imagining what it would be like there. I had an idea of what would happen with Lady Airell's choice, but there were still things that happened that I did not expect. There were biblical faith elements throughout the book which I really liked. I think it would have been more helpful to have the pronunciation guide at the beginning of the book, so I would have known how the words were said before I read it and came up with ...more
Angela~
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a Inspirational Christian Romance and I just loved it! I loved all the characters. I loved that it was in medieval times. I like all the royalty, so I ate that up. But I especially loved all the Christian references. I liked that it was “clean” no bad language or vulgarity. This is just a great book. I couldn’t put it down once I started reading. Very well written. I recommend to all.
Heather
Aug 03, 2019
Heather Schneider
Feb 29, 2020
Faith Sutphin
Feb 24, 2020
Rachel Skatvold
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Leah Robertson
Apr 29, 2019
Noelle
Mar 26, 2019
Karen Fallot
Jul 13, 2020

• Scrumptious Independence (Merriweather Island #2)
  • Love's Mountain Quest (Hearts of Montana, #2)
  • Beholden (The Fairest Maidens, #1)
  • A Dream for Harper (Willow Wood Brides #3)
  • Dual Power of Convenience (Merriweather Island #1)
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • Swift (The Flight and Flame Trilogy, #1)
  • To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
  • The Edge of Belonging
  • Miss Tavistock's Mistake (The Brides of Mayfair #1)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Almost a Bride (The Bride Ships, #4)
  • The Black Midnight
  • Forsaken Island (The Dancing Realms #2)
  • Pretending to Wed (Frontier Vows, #2)
  • Heart of a Warrior
  • Something Worth Doing
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
Rachel Skatvold is a Christian author of over a dozen books and a stay-at-home mom from the Midwest. She enjoys writing inspirational romance and encouraging blogs. Rachel completed her first series, the Riley Family Legacy Novellas in 2014 and is now working on the Hart Ranch Series, set in the Montana wilderness and the Ladies of Ardena Series, set in medieval times. She is also a contributing a ...more

Ladies of Ardena (4 books)
  • Lady Reagan's Quest (Ladies of Ardena #2)
  • Lady Fiona's Refuge (Ladies of Ardena, #3)
  • Lady Gwyneth's Hope (Ladies of Ardena, #4)