Start by marking “Dark Blossom” as Want to Read:
Dark Blossom

Dark Blossom

Sam returns home from a business trip a day before his son's thirteenth birthday and is looking forward to being with his family, when his world is cruelly shattered in one fell swoop. Initially he thinks he can cope with the loss, but finally seeks the help of Cynthia, an experienced therapist, to regain his equipoise. What he does not know is that Cynthia herself is ...more
Published 2018 by Rupa Publications

To ask other readers questions about Dark Blossom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Blossom

Start your review of Dark Blossom
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Blossom begins with a tragedy. Sam has been away on a business trip and returns home to find his world torn apart. He seeks help from a therapist, Cynthia, who has her own share of difficulties with an ex-husband.

Cynthia is tasked with helping Sam with his grief, but she’s having a hard time with her own emotions. She is going through a divorce, and her daughter, Lily, is keeping her distance.

Overall, Dark Blossom is a slim emotional thriller that packs a punch. Like its title denotes, it
Booxoul
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark Blossom is a suspense novel with a beautiful cover & a catchy title. At first, you might think, why the cover designer has not adjusted the book title to fit in one line! But as you proceed, you realize that’s how life is. It doesn’t matter how much you try to control & put it in a 5X7 frame, it goes haywire with every passing day, month & year.

But these imperfections & uncertainties are what makes our life more beautiful & worth living.

So, this imperfect cover holds a
Chelsey
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs

2.5 rounded up to 3!

Sam tragically loses his wife and son in a car crash. Nearly 7 months later, still afflicted by his grief over the loss and rage at the unknowns surrounding the accident, he seeks help from a grief therapist, Cynthia. The story is told through Cynthia, who is enduring her own challenges after an abusive marriage and a daughter, Lily, who has distanced herself.

The stories of Cynthia, Lily and Sam intersect and intertwine. A feeling of foreboding skims the surface and kept me
Maria
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sam has just lost his son and his wife in a terrible accident. He is angry, sad, confused, depressed and above all just lost. Cynthia is going through a rough phase in her life. After getting separated from her husband the only family left with her is her daughter Lily. But Lily is not ready to open upto her mother yet. Cynthia is Sam's therapist. What happens when their world collides? Will she be able to help Sam overcome his grief when her own life is upside down? In the midst of it all ...more
Chelsey

2.5 rounded up to 3!

Khyati Gautam
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mental Health is a crucial topic to discuss yet we seldom pay attention to its gravity. We never try to look beyond the seemingly 'normal' things and this causes severe damage in the long run. We run away from the responsibility of seeing into the depths because, perhaps, we are too scared to acknowledge our dormant fears lying in the hiding!

Dark Blossom is a well-written thriller that piques your interest gradually and then takes you on the roller coaster ride of exhilarating emotions. Packed
Apratim Mukherjee
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I think every story has its own readers.If there is a story with a state,region or city in focus,(like Corbett who has written a lot on Uttarakhand)it doesn't connect to other audiences.This seperates classics from others.This is the problem of this book.The story is set in New York and doesn't always connect to me.Technically speaking,I found the end fantastic,choice of words appropriate but the editing was average.
Basically I only picked the book as the sales would be used for charity.So I
Aishwarya Rathor
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

Mental health is the most important part of the human body and this book deals with it in the most realistic manner.
Cyanthia and Sam are a doctor-patient duo. Sam is under therapy and slow progressing towards a healthy life.
The story is dark with a pinch of thriller. The language is easy with hints of some new and good words. The author has narrated well, his ideas and experiences about mental health issues.
The plot has a good flow with a great flow and good characterization.
Initally i thought
Rituraj Anand
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story starts off with Cynthia, a therapist, waiting for her patient named Sam, a young and charming man, who has lost his wife and son in a car accident. He was not able to cope with the situation, thus he decided to seek help from Cynthia. She didn't take much time to understand what he has been going through, and how grief has taken a physical toll on his body. Although there’s no easy fix for getting over this loss, but Cynthia tried her best to console him, and helped him in moving on ...more
Cheryl
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Mr. Mullick does write a book that draws on human emotion. Yet, I felt the emotion but not as strongly as I wanted. In fact, as I was reading this book, I craved to be wrapped up tightly with the emotions that Sam, Cynthia and her daughter, Lily experienced.

Sam may have went to Cynthia for help but she gained a lot from Sam as well. She may not have "physically" lost her family but she had "emotionally" lost her daughter. Through her relationship helping Sam; she was able to
Fanna
Dark Blossom is a story that converges the lives of two people who are dealing with their own set of problems but can understand each other better because of it. A therapist, Cynthia, who is struggling to bring her relationship with her daughter back on track and a father, Sam, who is grieving his son and wife's death by a car accident.

The best aspect of this story was certainly the focus on mental health; the need for someone close to understand what might be affecting their loved one and the
Elizabeth
Sorry but I'm DNF it ,it's like trying to read a Tv or movie script , which I'm not into , the story line isn't keeping my attention, I have to re read parts of it to try and understand what is going on, and it's boring , nothing in what I've read so far is worth this much trouble .With that said I want to thank Netgalley for at least letting me try it out exchange for my honest opinion and my honest opinion is Do not pick this book up.

Reetika Sharma
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, the cover of the book is really beautiful. The moment I saw it, I loved it. Title is also good. It keeps you intrigues about the book. Book is fast paced and narration is good. The characters are well developed. The book kept me hooked till the end. Language is easy. The author has written unique storyline. The story is full of ups and downs and keep you on the edge.
Recommended : Yes
Johnna Whetstone
What a thrilling, chilling, and absolutely riveting read! Grabbed me on the first page and did not let go to the end! A must read for those who love dark and chilling thrillers!
Will use in a challenge and recommend to the members of Chapter Chatter Pub’.
Marianne
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story and characters were fine, good even.

Unfortunately I didn’t care for the writing. The word choices were odd. It almost felt like I was reading a student essay where they have a thesaurus and use it way too much! The dialogue and inner monologue were strange and not realistic due to this trumped up vocabulary.

Please give this a chance as it might be for you, I just prefer a more straightforward writing style.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and FSB Associates, LLC for a copy in
Nikita (thebookelf_)
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
BOOK REVIEW
Dark Blossoms by Neel Mullick
Every now and then I tend to dive into the genre of thriller to cut the monotony of drama and classics. So if I decide to pick up a thriller, a rare affair, I have high expectations from it. Dark Blossom justified my expectations but only up to a certain extent.
The book tries to be to-the-point but at a few places it inadvertently derails. Except for the first few pages where the monotony bug is going to itch you, the book is decently paced. The best
Devanshi Sanghani
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had heard alot of appreciation about this book and since than this book was on my TBR. I am honestly very happy to read this book since it was really gripping and it shares with a reader about a life of a normal person, the day to day real life experiences, the pain that one actually suffers and how it is overcome with time.

This story is about two people who are sailing in different boats but at the same direction. Cynthia who had an abusive relationship with her husband and who longed for a
Taanya Ahuja
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title: Dark Blossom
Author : Neel Mullick
Publisher: Rupa Publications
Published on: January 2019
Binding : Paperback
ISBN: 978-9353332945

"It isn't going to be an easy journey for either of us."

BLURB

Harshita Gupta
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Sam seeks the help of Cynthia, a therapist to overcome the grief of losing his family in a car accident. Cynthia on the other hand, too, is coping with her frustrated marriage and recent divorce. Now, all she wants is to keep her daughter Lily safe from her ex-husband and move on in life. Moreover, there are things which Lily has kept from her mother and is not ready to share with her.
‘Dark Blossom’ is all about how Cynthia treats Sam to move on along with her own troubled life. Meanwhile, her
Lel Budge
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: random-things
Dark Blossom is about an horrific tragedy…..Sam’s life was torn apart after the death of his wife and beloved son William in car accident.

He had been away on a business trip and returns to the police telling him of their death…. broken, he finally seeks help from a therapist.

Cynthia, the therapist, has her own issues, after a divorce from a ‘difficult’ husband and worries about her relationship with her daughter Lily.

While this is a relatively short novel, it packs an incredible amount of
Vandana Choudhary
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book because the title got me intrigued. From the first page itself, I found myself lost into Sam's world which I have to say is not an easy place to be. No matter how emotional his story made me feel, the story didn't allow me to detach myself and I kept on wanting to know more, feel more of Sam's pain. Sam is struggling with the loss of his son and wife who died in a road accident and he is going through the worst phase of his life. He acknowledges that he suffering from ...more
Sarika Patkotwar
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

This review was initially published at The Readdicts Book Blog. For more reviews, go here .

When I first saw the cover and read the blurb of Dark Blossom, I knew I had to read the book to find out more. Although the summary provided me with a vague idea as to what the story would be like, I was pleasantly surprised at some unexpected turns which it took and that always makes me satisfied because predictability gets boring sometimes.

Written by author Neel Mullick who
Bhargavi Chandrashekar
People grieve differently. There is no one right way to grieve. The death of someone you love is one of the most traumatic events in one’s life, specially if it was unexpected and the protoganist Sam is experiencing similar situation.

The book starts with Sam being introduced to Cynthia on the other hand Cynthia has just restarted her counselling practice after a short break. The story then unfolds about Cynthia, who is also going through some difficulties and her broken relationships with her
Krutika Puranik
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Blossom.

Thank you for the review copy @rupa_publications :)

Dark blossom is a tale that hides dreadful secrets behind a smiling facade. The beautiful cover is what intruiged me to pick up this book but the story surprised me by keeping my concentration from wavering. If you're into thriller genre then I'd suggest you to give this book a try.

The protagonist is a psychiatrist Cynthia, who is on the verge of recovery from a bad marriage. She restarts her practice post divorce and meets her new
Geeta Thakkar
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is has probably the first five star read that I have read in a very longtime. I guess that already tells you how much I loved it.

To begin with, the cover of the book is gorgeous, the title is interesting though it doesn't tell you anything about the story and you know of understand the reason for choosing this title after finishing the book. The blurb is precise and up-to the point. The titles to each chapter are very thoughtful and unique.

There are very few books which satisfy the
Ruchi Patel
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
Starting from cover, I couldn’t resist saying that it’s a wonderful cover. I fell in love with the book just by looking at it!
Very unique and different plot. It’s based on mental health concept. And being in medical field I can definitely say that in current years, there is drastic increase of mental health patients and people are just unaware of the situations or they feel inferior or have taboo going to a counsellor or psychiatrist for help.
Well written. Amazing use of language and
Kirti Changlani
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Blossom is a psychological thriller.

I can say it's a heavy read with the language used.

Story is about a psychiatrist and her painful ordeals.

One fine appointment she met a patient for their consultation but on the other end she was herself drowned with her pain and suffering, they become acquainted and thus the story is a complete narration of their journey.

The Beautiful depiction of a Tormented mother daughter relationship is there because of experiencing failed marriage, domestic
Mehak Asif
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story starts off with Sam, a young man who lost his wife and son in a tragic car accident, and is on the verge of depression. He decides to seek help from Cynthia, an experienced therapist.

Cynthia, on the other hand, is trying to cope with the divorce and is also worried about her daughter, Lily. Finding themselves in the same sinking boat, Sam and Cynthia find comfort in each other. They start living together, along with Lily. They are at the road to healing, and seem happy. But, Lily is
Palak Chaujar
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was so good. I stayed up all night every time I picked it up! Definitely unputdownable! 4 stars ‘cause I’m still not sure how I feel about the ending.
John  Trident
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Dark blossom

A very different book with a unique approach towards life which deals with mental health issues, illness & depression in a very good manner. How often do we tend to ignore people around us who are suffering from mental health issues in one way or another! How oblivious are we to their problems - that at certain times we feel it's our dire obligation to help them & we do things half heartedly - not from the bottom of our hearts.

When things don't work our way, the way we want
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bestseller
  • Snakes in the Meadows
  • The Code of Manavas (Maha Vishnu Trilogy #1)
  • They Go to Sleep
  • In Love with Simran
  • What Mina Did?
  • Tarikshir: The Awakening
  • Kaalkoot: The Lost Himalayan Secret
With degrees in Software Engineering from Carnegie Mellon, USA, and Business Administration from INSEAD, France, Neel is the Head of Product and Information Security at a Belgian family-office technology company.

He mentors women entrepreneurs through the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women, is involved in raising a generation of digital and socially-aware leaders with the Steering for Greatness