Start by marking “Topside” as Want to Read:
Topside

Topside

A wild outer-space fantasy about fixing your mistakes and the friends you meet along the way.

When Jo, a headstrong maintenance technician, makes an error that destabilizes her planet's core, she only knows one way to fix things: leaving her underground home for a trip to the planet's dangerous, unruly surface. Soon she's wandering through deserts, riding on the back of gi
Published October 1st 2019 by Graphic Universe

To ask other readers questions about Topside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Topside

Start your review of Topside
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Unfortunately, I struggled pretty hard with this one. I had a hard time grasping the main plot-line and the way the art was styled just felt a little.. messy? I didn't hate this, but it just didn't really work for me.
Chad
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
Jo, a technician in the planet's core makes a mistake and heads topside to fix it. There she makes some friends with strange abilities on her way to find supplies to fix her dying world. Meanwhile, she is pursued by bureaucrats for not filling out the correct paperwork. An interesting, all-ages, sci-fi world. I thought the end got a little wonky and rushed.

Received a review copy from Graphic Universe and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
This is a fun little romp, an adventure story on two levels. On one level is Jo, just trying to fix a problem that she caused before she is found out, and the bureaucrats that are trying to catch her, because they have discovered that she is "topside" (on the surface of the planet) where she is not authorized to be.

Illustrations are quite fun, and the shark in the dress, who is a bounty hunter, also ads to the fun.

It is a story of taking responsibility and having to trust, even people who are un
Brianna - Coffee Books and Bullet Journals
This was a perfectly fine graphic novel. I am loving dystopian, post apocalyptic stories right now, but there was just no set up or world building in this one. I didn’t get enough backstory on the side characters which made it so I didn’t really care about any of them.
Krista Regester
3.5 What a time to be reading dystopian, post apocalyptic stories right? The characters are endearing enough but there was a lack of world building that made the story a little hard to follow.
Elyse
NetGalley ARC.

I enjoyed this science fiction comic! The illustrations are alright, very simple, but I like the style of less dialogue, more pictures! You can learn a whole lot without saying a word. Jo is a low on the totem pole technician on a planet (future Earth?) where topside is deserted and everyone lives underground. She sends herself on a mission and you must read it to see where it leads! And you won't believe it!
Steff Pasciuti
| Reader Fox Blog |

Topside by J. N. Monk and illustrated by Harry Bogosian was interesting. I honestly left it feeling kind of thrown about the whole thing and not really sure what I had just read. A space adventure on a faraway planet that features a technician going "topside" in order to fix a mistake that damaged her planet's core. Many people live beneath the surface of the planet and her travel to the surface sparks a wave of panic among the leaders of the society and a massive manhunt
Chessa
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this, but I found it just okay. The world building is strange and the art was honestly not my fave - I found myself wondering many times if/what I was missing because of confusingly drawn panels. The whole thing just felt a little bit slapped together and not super cohesive - I think I needed more connective tissue between plot points.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy to review - this did not affect my review, etc.
Ethan
3.5. A weak ending, but what a journey to get there. Some really outstanding worldbuilding that's cohesive with the author's thesis here, which is all too rare. A clever fusion of scifi, cyberpunk, and post-apocalyptic trappings - think Adventure Time by way of Amazon.

Kathleen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little confused by the ending, but I can certainly relate to the feeling of wanting to just fix *everything* so that it stays fixed!
Laci Long || Book Pairings
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m bummed to say I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. I didn’t find the characters or pacing on the plot to be that engaging. The plot sounded very promising, but I just ended up being kind of bored. I also thought the art style was a bit messy and less compelling than a more polished style.
Dax
Beautiful layouts and color schemes. The story itself was fun and had some interesting characters sadly they were not the main character. It would be interesting to see what this world would look like after the events in this book. Here's hoping there's a sequel.
FSSTBlog
Publisher: Graphics Universe ™
Goodreads Rating: 4/5 stars
Content Warnings: Mild violence
Purchased or Received Copy: Received copy from Netgalley

Topside takes place on a planet with two separate populations. Josephine “Jo” Wilson lives in the Interior, a subterranean society that races to keep up with the crumbling technology keeping their homes together. After making a serious error in repairing a core, Jo go
Ally
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Lerner Publishing Group Graphic Universe for giving me this an advanced digital copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

This graphic novel follows the story of Jo, a young girl who lives on a planet that constantly needs fixing. After screwing up a job she decides to take go on her own to fix her screw up without alerting anyone, but obviously, people find out she travels to the Topside.

Topside world-building and style is exactly what y
Destiny Henderson
STORY
Basically, the mistake of a would-be techno working bee causes a big problem and shenanigans ensue. I could not get a grasp of the world-building, but it did not bother me. This is a world where engineers and technicians are everywhere, a shark and a light-bulb are in love, and a shape-shifter and a cantankerous woman make an almost-family.
The side-plot with the office guy trying to live up to his dad’s legacy was okay, but I was much more interested in Jo’s business. He reached an abrupt e
Jason
Usually I give high ratings to books that are exceptional in one way or another, while still being solid in most other ways. Topside isn't necessarily exceptional in itself, but it is an exceptional example of genre fiction done well. It's your typical bildungsroman, about an everyman(woman) who finds herself in unusual circumstances and meets various misfits who help her on her quest whilst being pursued by a representative of an evil empire. Nothing new, right? However, each character gets jus ...more
Book Minded Mag
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Topside is a fun, full-of-adventure comic that shows readers what happens when you step away from the familiar.

Josephine Wilson has lived in the Core her entire life and currently works there as a reliable repair technician. Jo gets things done and is the one to count on. But when she makes a rare mistake, Jo decides to go Topside, meaning above ground. She’s never left the Core before but is determined to make things right. While Topside, she encounters beings and sights she’s never seen as sh
Jill Jemmett
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun sci fi graphic novel.

Jo is a maintenance worker in the core of the planet she lives on. She makes a mistake one day that will take a long time to get the supplies to fix. Instead of waiting, she goes to the surface of the planet, or the topside, to get the supplies. She ends up leading a bunch of people on a chase around the planet.

There were some funny parts to the story. When the workers were chasing Jo to reprimand her for making the mistake, they had to keep stopping to get ap
Raina
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you'd never seen the sky?

Just a week or so ago, my region was under a massive smoke cloud from forest fires, to the point where the air was at the most extreme levels of unhealthy. We had to cancel outdoor services, create extra filtering devices for our house... anyway, all that to say not seeing the sky feels not-so-sci-fi right now.

In this case, tho, the protagonist and the rest of their culture lives under the surface of their planet. When a mechanical problem happens, our hero goes
—
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing this E-Arc in exchange for my honest review! What a cute graphic novel! A super quick read and pretty fun!

I am newer to graphic novels than most so this was a great entry level read for me. The story is light, the plot somewhat vague and the characters were very surface level. Nothing too deep or thought provoking which I happened to enjoy in this story. The sci-fi was very digestible which makes this an ideal option for a younger audience that enjoy monster
Kiri
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

A fun and interesting dystopian graphic novel. It kind of reminded me of The City of Ember and Girls' Last Tour, Vol. 1. Overall, I enjoyed the story and the art. I did wish that the characters had a little more depth to them, though. I would have felt more connected to the story if they did.
Kera (featherboundbooks)
I requested this title on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

The artistic style and originality of this graphic novel was really unique. It was so fun to read as this rag tag group of very different individuals travel through different places to basically save the world.

When technician Jo cannot complete a task in her underground world, she must break some rules and go Topside to find a specific material she needs to fix things. Topside, she meets a group of different individua
Paul Decker
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from NetGalley from Lerner Publishing Group. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This graphic novel shows a group of misfits working together in a strange, and elaborate world. The whole book is colorful with great designs of characters. There are aliens, weird creatures, and detailed backgrounds. I love world building that is just there in the background without explicit explanations. It is an intr
Cori // ghostlightbooks
My favorite part of this book was the art. The style is beautiful and the coloring is absolutely gorgeous. I was really jiving with the plot and characters at the beginning but as things progressed I felt there wasn't enough explained about what was happening. I think this could have benefited from being a little bit longer in order to flush out the characters and add some more detail to the plot. That being said I would totally read this again and I'd read a continuation or something in the sam ...more
Chelsea Best
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I first want to say how much I loved the world building within this novel. It was absolutely gorgeous and the color palatte was stunning. However, there were times I could not tell at all what was happening in the panels. I dont know why, but sometimes they were so mushed up that I couldn't see what was actually going on. I couldn't read any of the red or green papers because of how blurry they seemed, but I guess It wasn't too important? Either way, cute story, a little confusing with the langu ...more
Alory Shannon
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fun, with quirky humor. The art is nice and the world is very interesting, though I would've liked more background info about it all. The ending felt rushed, was a little hard to understand, and definitely tied everything up too neatly, but it was still a fairly enjoyable read. I liked Jo, the main character, and I understand that I need to FIX IT feeling she clearly has, but I also didn't feel like there was much depth to the characters, though it's not a huge book so that makes sense.
Maddie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: loft-ya
When Jo, a system mechanic makes an error that compromises her planet's core she knows the only way to fix it is so leave home and head to the planet's core to fix it herself. Soon she's wandering through deserts, riding on the back of giant beasts, and cutting deals with con artists and bounty hunters. Meanwhile the agents who monitor the core are on the case of what happened to the and are in pursuit of Jo.

This was fine, it was a little too sci-fi for me. But it'd be a great recommendation fo
Murray
Jo is good at fixing what's broken. Jo discovers a major problem and must go topside of her planet to access the materials she needs. She forges her work documents which sets off alarms in the bureaucratic levels of governance where a document must be submitted before any decision can be made. A team of bounty hunters track her down but instead of turning her in they form an alliance to reach the material she needs. There is a nice surprise ending that sets up sequels to follow. Though this is Y ...more
Heather
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Topside was a very interesting graphic novel. Something like I’ve never read before. As the characters start their journey you really never know what’s going to happen and I was very impressed how much I enjoyed it. The storyline kind of reminded me of the tv show Gravity Falls. The artwork was amazing and I’m not sure if this will be a series or not but regardless I’m definitely interested in more works by this author!
Jordan
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's pretty, but... it's also pretty confusing. I just wanted a little bit more about what the heck was going on with the world. It was a bit too surreal for me. I liked the characters and the general story, but I just went through the whole book being confused about the world. There's one vague moment where one of the characters tells a story that seems like it's meant to hand-waivingly explain the world, but it just kind of falls flat.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Witch's Hand
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Go with the Flow
  • Dragon Hoops
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Banned Book Club
  • The Oracle Code
  • Space Boy Volume 5 (Space Boy, #5)
  • The Weirn Books, Vol. 1: Be Wary of the Silent Woods