Start by marking “Winter Frost (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Winter Frost (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 2)

Winter Frost

(Chris Matheson Cold Case #2)

It all started with a chance encounter in the city with Blair, his late wife.

Chris Matheson and the Geezer Squad, working under the guise of a book club, dig into the events surrounding his late wife’s supposed death halfway around the globe. A state department employee shoots himself in the back three times. A CIA operative goes missing. A woman is targeted by an intern
Published January 28th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Winter Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Frost

Start your review of Winter Frost (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 2)
Sherry Fundin
All right. Back with the Geezer Squad and a freezing cold case.

We start out with Blair witnessing multiple deaths as she runs for her life. No one to trust, it’s up to her to find her way to the director of the CIA, with the disc. She has secrets and comes face to face with one of them…Chris.

Chris has retired to a farm, but when he sees Blair, he has a lot to investigate…so, with the help of the Geezer Squad he begins.

From the opening pages the action begins and it doesn’t stop until the end.

The
Lindsay
Lauren Carr does is once again. This book Winter Frost is filler of mystery. It will pull you into the story from the first page to last page. I loved it.

As we know Chris, and his family. We also have Helen and her daughter. We running into and meet Chris supposed dead wife Blair. We also have Murphy join forces with Chris Matheson. I love that the author did this. Bring Murphy and Tristan into the mix. They were more of sub characters but almost like the main characters.

The story was really t
Debbie Oxier
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one had me on the edge of my seat a couple of times. Chris Matheson's wife, Blair, was killed overseas, or so he'd been told. She'd left her family in favor of her career with the State Department and paid the ultimate price. He and his daughters live on a farm with Chris's mother and have, for the most part, learned to live with their loss. Then on a trip into the city, Chris sees Blair. At first he can't believe his eyes. He has to be seeing things. He gives chase and ends up in the subwa ...more
Lelia Taylor
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
When Chris spots his supposedly deceased wife and, moments later, kills the assassin who’s after her, the retired FBI agent is thrust into the center of his own mystery, one that will take a large cast of retired and current members of all sorts of law enforcement agencies to figure out. Along the way to solving what turns out to be a complex, intriguing puzzle, all these people sift through a plethora of clues but it’s not all just a lot of mental work for the reader; some of these folks, and a ...more
Jan Miller
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Carr has created an amazing book in Winter Frost. I loved how the book is full of unexpected twists, great imagery, and fitting humor. Chris has believed his wife has been dead for over 3 years, and when he’s ready to move on, his life is turned upside down. This book is both a standalone listen and part of a series. I really enjoy how the author has developed the characters and included realistic details. Her descriptions of the German Shepherd’s antics are spot on. The Geezer Squad soun ...more
Marilyn R.
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I guess I'm a Lauren Carr super fan as I've read all 25 of her books! So I was really excited to crack open Winter Frost - the latest addition to her Chris Matheson series. As always, it was a wonderful read that I dove into eagerly and had trouble putting down.

Like the stories in her Mac Faraday, Twofer Murder, Lovers In Crime and Thorny Rose series, Carr imbues the Chris Matheson novels with strong storylines; murder; mayhem; mystery; great characters; strong, intelligent men: equally strong a
Emilie Davis
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Make sure that your seat belt is fastened because you are in for a bumpy ride!!! From the halls of the Capital to West Virginia and back to the bucolic fields of Washington's suburbs, Winter Frost will keep you on the edge. Cold cases heat up and the body count stacks up. But the plot will keep you turning the pages to the end. Well written and full of action, this book is a must!!
Kristine Hall
Audio Book Review. Whoa! WINTER FROST: A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery starts off with a bang – literally, as the first of many deaths happens in a book with a high body count and a lot of action. For readers like me who are familiar with and fans of book one in the series, ICE, you’ll be delighted that the same endearing cast of characters returns in all its glory. If you haven’t yet jumped on this series, get to it, but don’t be concerned about starting here. Each of the books stands alone, ...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery #2
By Lauren Carr
Read by Mike Alger

For three years Chris Matheson has known that his wife Blair was dead and he has moved on with his life. There is just one little problem he just saw her and she is very much alive. Not only is she alive someone is trying to kill her. And now Chris finds himself in the middle of something that has placed a target on his back.

Time to call in the Geezer Squad - the "book club" that Chris's father helped start years ago.
Laura Thomas
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many things happen in this action packed sequel to Ice that I am struggling to share my review without including spoilers.

Lauren Carr doesn’t waste any time dropping you into the thrills and intrigue with a murder attempt on a person who was supposed to be already dead. Here is where the spoiler free review becomes difficult. So, I’ll just talk about how much fun I had with Winter Frost.

Many of my favorite characters were present, along with some serious bad guys and the much adored non human
Kristin's Novel Cafe
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great audiobook by Lauren Carr! I love it when an author has multiple books and ties all of the characters together. In Winter Frost, the story revolves around Chris Matheson and the Geezer Squad Book Club, but when Chris is in the wrong situation at the wrong time, he meets the one and only……!!! Nah, I’m not going to give it away. You’ll have to listen to it to find out.
Without giving away any spoilers, Winter Frost is another great addition to Lauren Carr’s cozy mysteries. I’ve enjoyed
Ann
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it!, Loved it! Loved it!
Book two of the Chris Matheson Cold Case mystery series ticked all the boxes. It continued the story of Chris and his family. It featured a lot of the Geezer Squad. It answered a lot of questions about the history of Chris and his wife. This was an excellent mystery, a compelling thriller and a suspenseful read from start to finish. It has a lot of mystery, humor, pathos and love. It was one I could not put down. I particularly liked the introduction of Tristan Thor
Laura Alber
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lauren-carr
I absolutely love these families and friends you've created and always seamlessly intertwine them all. I do hope we'll read another Mac/Archie/Gnarly soon. But I will take the Faradays, Thorntons or Mathesons any chance I get! I love them all! Thank you for so many wonderful hours reading all your masterpieces!!!
Glenda Bixler
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Latest book my top favorite! Plus Spotlight of The Old Geezers!

bonnie kirchner
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winter Frost

This is another five star Lauren Carr mystery. These are the best mystery books ever written . I have never read a bad Lauren Carr book. I would give them ten stars if there were that many. These are the best mystery books. Highly recommend them.
Debbie Smith
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:

This is the first book I’ve read by Lauren Carr. No doubt because I skipped book 1 in this series, it took me a little while to sort out all of the characters. Okay, who’s kidding who? A long time. Carr not only has nine (I think that’s correct) characters who are in the geezer squad, of course many more are scattered throughout the story.

However, the deeper I got into the story the easier it became and the more I started to appreciate it. But I do have to say, probably because I was
Susan
Being a fan of Lauren Carr’s works for some years now, listening to a new mystery is like spending time with an old friend. I haven’t spent much time with Chris Matheson, the hero of this tale. As with many of Carr’s works, there’s crossover with her other murder mysteries, so there were some familiar characters like Jessica and Murphy. It was good to see these old friends again. I especially enjoyed Tristan’s role (and seeing his comfort tarantula that enjoys the coffee shop).

This tale features
Jessica Bronder
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading about Chris and how the loss of his wife affected his family I was very excited to see how things were going with Helen. But then he sees Blair, his wife that has been dead for three years. Of course he gives chase just to save her and have her disappear. Then her body does show up and Chris, with the help of the Geezer Squad look into what really happened to Blair.

I have loved this series from the first book and was curious at where it was going to go just from the blurb. But whe
Amy’s Booket List
As you can see from above, this is book two of the Chris Matheson series. I read and reviewed book one as an audiobook, which is the format I read for this installment. If you read my review of book #1, you'll know that I had some serious issues with the narrator. I don't know if my hearing acclimated to his style of reading or if his performance improved so much by book two, but I had none of my previous issues while listening to this book. The narration was seamless - I never felt pulled away ...more
Sherry Lynn
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They just keep getting better and better! I admit I am a fan of author Lauren Carr.
She has not written a book that I haven’t loved. Each and everyone is a page turner.

One of the things I like best about how she presents her books is that she includes a
Cast of characters at the beginning. Which is a huge help because each book
has a lot going on and a lot of characters. As a fan I know all the regular characters so I don't get
any confused but it's fun to read the cast. And is helpful with the new
Amy
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this second installment, Winter Frost continues Lauren Carr’s A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book, Ice, and this one did not disappoint me. Readers can read this one as a stand alone but I would recommend to read Ice first before starting this one. It gives more of a back story of Chris Matheson, his family and his friends.
Winter Frost involves the main character from Ice, Retired FBI agent, Chris Matheson, and his investigative team, the Geezer Squ
Dawn
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose to listen to this book after receiving a free copy of the audiobook. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. I’ve read several of Lauren Carr’s books including the first Chris Matheson novel, ICE. I enjoy her books and I like how the characters from different series are intertwined.

Chris Matheson’s wife Blair died overseas, and he has moved on and is dating his childhood sweetheart, Helen. On what is supposed to be a special date night, Chris sees his dead wife!
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love listening to Mike Alger read these thrilling stories. From the voice of Nigel to the contributions of Sterling and Monique, to the echoey sounds of retrospection, this is a nonstop heart pounding mystery adventure.
What happens when the wife you thought was dead for years is spotted waiting for a train? And you are forced to kill an international assassin to save her life? How do you explain that to the authorities, who may not actually BE the authorities?!?!?
Bringing together s
Carla
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me on the edge of my seat right from the start – everything I thought I knew about Chris and his family was thrown right out the window and I never saw it coming.

This all centres around his late wife, Blair, who he thought had left him to advance her career only to be killed overseas. Imagine his surprise when so many years later, he sees her on a chance encounter! He is desperate to find out if this was truly her and if it was, why did she lie to him? Why did the government lie to
Leila
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read book 1 so I had background before starting this book, but I feel confident in saying that you could read this book without having read book 2.

Not only does Lauren give you a list of the characters at the start of the book so you know who everyone is; she does a great job giving enough information to fill you in without boring someone who has read the first book and knows the details.

This book was a fun puzzle. I was able to figure out certain clues before the characters in the book, but t
Sharon Grow
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book two in the newest series by Lauren Carr. Chris Matheson’s wife, Blair, died three years ago during a terrorist attack overseas. If so, then why did Chris just see her and stop a known hitman from killing her…again. When Blair jumps on a train and gets away, Chris is left to explain why he shot and killed a man at the train station. Before that can happen, he is whisked away by men who he assumes are with the FBI. This is just the beginning of an amazing mystery. Chris is a retired d ...more
Jessica
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes an achiever is not a good thing

Ms. Lauren Carr did an amazing with this book Winter Frost. She never stops to amaze me with her writing. This book is hard to put if down. It is so good that even in the middle of the night, I need to read it because I can't wait how will the story will end. Sometimes an achiever is not a good thing. It is not only you missed your family but risk your life as well. This book is hilarious, full of family love but above all very suspenseful. I never stop
Just another reader
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having learnt to deal with the loss of Blair, her husband, Chris, and their two daughters try leading lives as normally as they can in the farm where they live with Chris's mother. When Chris comes face to face with whom he believes to be Blair, he has to digest his shock and save this person from a terrorist at gun point, literally. As fate twists itself and ends up getting Chris being charged, Chris not only has to unravel the mystery, but has to deal with the emotional turmoil of conveying th ...more
Esther Haddie's Haven
WINTER FROST is the second book of the Chris Matheson Cold Case Mysteries. From what I gather, it's complete stand-alone to the previous book, ICE. However, it does touch some details that were previously mentioned.

Lauren Carr definitely raised the bar with this one. The Geezer Squad had to be my favorite part, and like in ICE, we could hear the thoughts of the animals as well. I do not wish to spoil the book for anyone. But the main plot of this book is the sudden reappearance of Chris' "late"
Monsterella Reviews
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Mommy’s not singing anymore, Daddy.”
“I think it’s because Daddy finally got your Mommy’s message.”

Another intense read that I thoroughly enjoyed. The twists and turns were a rollercoaster of emotions. The secrets and action kept me enthralled from the first page until the last and still I want more.

Lauren Carr has a great writing style that brings each character to life and let's the reader feel their emotions. It's more than words on a page, you watch a movie in your mind as you read the wonde

• Dead and Gone (Still Waters #3)
  • Spring's Promises
  • Black and White (The Dismal, Florida Suspense Series Book 1)
  • Temp Job of Murder (Lacy Steele Mystery Book 11)
  • Never Walk Alone (Harry Hunter Mystery, #4)
  • Secrets in a Bottle (Whodunit Antiques, #1)
  • The Exchange
  • August's Heat (Larry Macklin Mysteries #10)
  • Wild Fire (Hawk Tate #6)
  • Harper (A Hathaway Sister Mystery, #1)
  • October's Fear
  • The Moon Killer (DI Jack Dawes #5)
  • Winter's Secret (Winter Black Series Book 6)
  • Autumn's Game (Autumn Trent #1)
  • Summer's Rage (Larry Macklin Mysteries #14)
  • The Killing Woods (Sidney Becker, #1)
  • Morning Cup of Murder  (A Lacy Steele Mystery #1)
  • Gossip in the Garden (The Inn at Holiday Bay #10)
Lauren Carr is the international best-selling author of the Mac Faraday, Lovers in Crime, and Thorny Rose Mysteries—over twenty titles across three fast-paced mystery series filled with twists and turns!

Book reviewers and readers alike rave about how Lauren Carr’s seamlessly crosses genres to include mystery, suspense, romance, and humor.

Lauren is a popular speaker who has made appearances at sc

Chris Matheson Cold Case (3 books)
  • Ice (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 1)
  • The Last Thing She Said (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 3)

News & Interviews