Start by marking “Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams” as Want to Read:

Unknown Binding, 208 pages
Published December 1st 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Dreams, Daily Joys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Dreams, Daily Joys

Start your review of Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams
Diana
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How do I write this without sounding dramatic... I am drowning and this book was a lifesaver.
Laura Radniecki
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I've followed Elise online for several years, and I've always been drawn to her message and the way she delivers it. When this book was available for pre-order, I bought it right away. When it shipped to me, I read it in a day and a half. (Very uncommon for me in my current season of life with a toddler and an infant.) It's written in a clean, engaging way that keeps you turning pages, it's organized in digestible, short chapters, and the message is focused and impactful. I had been facing my ...more
Krystyna Salvetta
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was like sitting down with Elise, having a cup of coffee, and talking about life and goal setting. I love to highlight quotes I want to remember, or ideas that mean something or inspire me. I don’t think there’s a spread in this book that doesn’t include a passage that’s highlighted!

I could go on about the style of the book, the colors, the design, the layout… All of that made it so easy to read and so quick to get through. In fact I probably would’ve read it in one sitting if
Maggie Sass
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredibly relatable and more importantly, helpful, whether you are great at getting things done or not. If you are a maker, a small-business owner, someone in your first job or your 15th, someone about to start a family or a different sort of great adventure - this book will help you think about how you actually spend your time, how you want to spend your time, and what you want your life to be about. I am a psychologist focused specifically on leadership development in my day job, ...more
Sam
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I’m going to be recommending out to a lot of family, friends, and colleagues. Many of the concepts in this book weren’t brand new to me, I’ve been focused on personal and professional goal setting for many years. What really blew me away was her delivery – lighting a gentle fire under my bum to take more ownership over my goals and be practical about the process.

Although I’ve been setting goals for years (and making some progress), I was often completely overwhelmed by my to-do
Alexandria
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There's so much good stuff in here that you'll want to read it more than once to get all of the goodness out of it. This is a great way to kick off the new decade for sure, but would be amazing for any point in the year. Even if you think of yourself as someone who could never set a goal and follow through, I firmly believe that Elise can change your mind. She somehow manages to cover every single "what if" and still make you feel like you'll succeed. Going to sit down with my partner so we can ...more
Angela
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t consider myself a person that has ‘big dreams’. But that did not stop me from picking up this quick read and I’m SO glad I did! I work a M-F, 9-5 job that gets pretty stressful and I have a lot of house projects, personal wellness goals, etc. This book gives so many practical tips for handling the day to day stuff both at work and at home and tackling larger projects while keeping your motivation and momentum up. There are so many gems in this book. I plan to read it again armed with my ...more
Itasca Community Library
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Says:
This book outlines fun, creative, and quick ways to create routines in your life and get things done. It’s a perfect read for anyone who is struggling with accomplishing all their goals, or struggling to create goals in the first place. Elise is very matter-of-fact, and made me feel like I was sitting down with a friend to listen to some much-needed advice. She is very forthcoming about her own struggles in life, and how she’s used the methods in the book to get things done.
Lauren Child
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the simplicity of Elise’s methodology. Too many times we get stuck in our own minds overcomplicating our days. Already I feel much lighter when approaching each day with what needs doing. This book is helping me to organize my thoughts and goals into smaller steps. Its also teaching me to show myself some grace. I realized through reading this book that I’ve just had too many to dos on my list. It’s easy to get lost with an overwhelming informal “list” looming overhead. This book has ...more
Jo
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it

I’ve followed the author for a long time so I’ve heard/observed a lot of what she has to say. And I’ve read a lot of time management and goal setting books. There was good information in here, but nothing that made me whip out a pen and notebook.
The layout of the book is great, love the graphic design. The short chapters are easily digestible. For someone new to the topic I think the book would be wonderful.
Amanda Zhang
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
My head feels clear after listening to this. (I bought the hard copy as well to refer back to more easily.) I've been a fan of Elise for years and this book is no different. It is full of gems of advice and actionable items. This is a perfect read for any time you need a kick to get things done, but it feels especially relevant as 2020—a new year and decade—is just around the corner.
Alycia
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, to-buy
Lots of inspirational and several tangible ideas about how to DO the stuff you want to do. My takeaways will naturally be different from others’, but I appreciated the idea that it’s ok to change your goals or dreams if they don’t fit you anymore. Really cute book design too!
Hannah Boehmer
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke straight to the things I’ve been battling with for years. I have let perfectionism get in the way of getting things done, or even starting, and I’m feeling so motivated to JUST START. These lessons feel like a monumental shift. Highly recommend.
Panda Incognito
This book is a breath of fresh air in the self-help department. Amid various vulgar titles promising instant wealth and happiness, this obscenity-free book provides realistic guidance for how to eliminate unnecessary items from your schedule, design specific and purposeful goals, and pursue meaningful productivity in addition to the work that is necessary for just getting by.

The author shares lots of personal stories and examples to illustrate her points, and even though this book is not
Karen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge goal-setter and have at times followed Elise on different online platforms. I was excited to read her book on goal setting/getting things done and it did not disappoint. I liked how clear she was with some of the concepts:

"There are three reasons why you don't get your to-do list items accomplished: lack of time, lack of communication, or lack of interest."

Yep and it's helpful to know which is in which state so I can be clear so that I know what I need to do to move them to a
Josie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.5 stars, really. I enjoyed this book and the layout and graphics were a beautiful accompaniment. Definitely one to check out as a physical copy. I was glad the library got a copy of this at my request! This is a step above a picture book for adults (and I mean that as a great compliment!)

The format of this book is 4 main sections divided mainly into one-page 'chapters' with quick-hit advice. Some of this advice was very basic, but some was novel to me as well. I struggled a little with the
Jenny Mikac
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've already read a lot of books on goal-setting, planning, and productivity, you definitely don't need this one: there's nothing new here. Personally, the only reason I bought this book is because I love Elise and I've been following her online for a few years now, ever since I became pregnant and wanted to find other women who were trying to be creatives while also juggling motherhood. There was a few really great quotes worth putting in my journal, but otherwise there wasn't anything ...more
Abby
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been following Elise for at least eight years, so I'm quite familiar with her approach to life and how goal setting is an integral part of her life. Despite being an avid follower of hers, I wasn't sure if I would get much out of this book, but I was happily proven otherwise. While there wasn't really anything new to me in this book, I really enjoyed the format and having it all in one place.

For those not familiar with the author, she approaches goal setting in a very intuitive way and
Chris Leach
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've followed Elise online since before she was married, when blogging was her thing. I followed her because I loved what she wrote, and she motivated me to do more, to do better. She still does this on Instagram...and she continues to do it through her book.

Perhaps it's the timing of reading the book with the new year. Perhaps it was having seen her share her goals and me thinking about and developing mine. Compared to when I first picked it up right after it was published (life was crazy and
Amy
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was SO good, so inspiring. I read it slowly to savour it... now I need to go back through and actually do what Elise suggests... goal setting, prioritizing my time, documenting progress and even failing.

I love her writing style, and I loved the layout of this book. It’s written in short, easy to digest chunks... which makes it so nice to go back through now as I start to put her suggestions into practice!

As a stay-at-home mom who sews a lot (hello, hobby!) I thought that I wouldn’t
Hope
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I knew this book was going to be good. I mean, I’ve been following Elise for years now on social media and she is simply amazing. But I was not prepared for how much I was going to learn from her book. There are so many things I took away from Big Dreams, Daily Joys.

Stop reinventing the wheel

My 5-year plan is a living document. It’s okay to change it!

The value of check-ins

Scheduling “Hours of boring and terrible stuff”! – Yes!!

It doesn’t have to be flawless to be complete

These are just some
Reagan Lehman
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elise gives no-nonsense advice that’s both pointed and encouraging. My key takeaways:

- Give yourself the freedom to schedule “doing nothing.” Give your life some white space!
- Stop reinventing the wheel. Find routines that work for you, so you have creative space for your goals.
- Your ideas mean something. Be willing to share them. And then just start.
- Document your progress. When in the middle of a project, it’s difficult to see how far you’ve come. Track it visually.
- Transitional periods
Lauren Hooper
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a quick read that is full of actionable steps and building blocks that help you get organized, get clear on your priorities and get more done - not to just get more done but to be able to have more time to do the fun things! Elise's writing style is like talking with a friend who has great advice, practice what she teaches and cheers you on every step of the way! The book helped me get clear on my priorities, schedule my day better and gave me the permission and know how I needed to ...more
Lee
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ladder-reading
I am a long-time fan of the author, and admire her perspective and accomplishments when it comes to setting goals and being thoughtful in her approach to the different parts of life. So to read this book - a compilation of her thoughts and experiences with ideas and information from other sources - was almost fun. She writes with a straight-forward, engaging manner; and also brings a sense of humor to her writing. I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a fresh perspective or ...more
Aubree
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve followed Elise online for years so I just had to have her book and it does not disappoint! She has such great advice on goal setting- both inspirational messages and practical get going tips. While it is a good summary of the messages she’s been sharing online, I found value in having them organized this way as well as new ideas to chew on. I like how there is a section on making time for this “layer 3” stuff in your life before it really gets into the meat of the goal setting. The book is ...more
Michelle
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first started following Elise’s blog while I was I college, now 10 years ago. It has been a pleasure and an inspiration to watch her try and fail and try again and learn and succeed over those many years. It’s not surprising to me then that this book felt so comforting and reassuring - Elise’s whole thing is that you don’t have to be an expert to get started, you just have to make a plan and try. Definitely worth a read if you’re thinking about how to make room for dreams and joys in your busy ...more
Laura Wilson
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since I started reading Elise's blog many years ago, she's continuously inspired me to keep reaching my goals. I was so thrilled when she announced she was writing a book. This book exceeding my expectations. She included so many different topics, exercises, and advice for moving past obstacles and creating realistic goals. She provided so many real life examples that really helped put the information into context. I absolutely loved this book and high recommend it to anyone feeling stuck or ...more
Stephanie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been following Elise’s blog since 2011. She’s a great writer and storyteller, and has inspired me for the past 8 years as I’ve followed along with her blog, Instagram, newsletter.

I’m big on goal setting, partly because of Elise. I just wrote a journal entry this week actually referencing a blog post of hers from 2012 when she talked about her older little word for the year: choose. Unlike Elise, I haven’t been great on follow through, which is maybe why I find her so inspirational.

This
Lindsay
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you need help getting a handle on the day-to-day, looking at the bigger picture, and learning to not only make progress on the things that matter to you, but to also enjoy it., this is a good one. It’s inspiring, motivating, and practical. You have to get past some clunky writing and some needless repetition (this one could have been more tightly edited), but it’s worth it to find a wealth of insight and pep talks to get you on track, or back on track if you’ve lost your way.
Lauren Therriault
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to want to be an entrepreneur to read this book and take something away from it. I've been following Elise since 2011 and love all that she has to say about goal setting and getting things done. . So many "yes!" moments. Like not feeling bad about emptying the dishwasher when your kids are awake because while they sleep you can do things for you! If you feel like you need a push to make thing happen.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic (Art Book for Artists, Creative Self-Help Book)
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
  • The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
  • Where To Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Set goals. Get things done. Make time for what matters.
  • The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • The Dutch House
  • Thief River Falls
  • Family of Origin
  • 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen
Elise Blaha Cripe is a creative entrepreneur professional goal setter. In 2015 she created GET TO WORK BOOK, a planner brand with products designed to help you break big goals into smaller action items.

Since 2005, Elise has been sharing her thoughts and DIY projects online and continues to inspire her audience with her upbeat and encouraging style and her "just start!" attitude.

Elise lives with