Start by marking “The Boring Book” as Want to Read:
The Boring Book

The Boring Book

The Boring Book is a humorous picture book that follows the story of one particularly bored boy.

As the story progresses, our protagonist discovers there's actually more to boredom than what meets the eye—more questions, more theories, and heaps of humor.

This exploration of boredom from acclaimed author-illustrator Shinsuke Yoshitake
playfully—and hilariously—unpacks the
Published August 6th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boring Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boring Book

Start your review of The Boring Book
La Coccinelle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is, rather ironically, not entirely boring. It's full of head-scratching moments, and the overall feeling I'm left with after reading it is exhaustion. Imagine a kid who's so bored that they just start letting random things pop out of their mouth. Now imagine that you've just fed them an energy drink and some ice cream... and you'll start to get an idea of how this book wallops the reader with its annoyingly frenetic energy.

I guess part of the point may be to show that our minds can go
Jae
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as funny as Still Stuck but still pleasant.
Jami Sailor
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2019, feelings
a meditation about the concept of boredom
Raven Black
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is not boring. It IS confusing, but not boring. I am not sure kids will get all of what is going on, but they will enjoy making their own story to the illustrations and the illustrations themselves.
Karrie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
What is boring? Why am I bored? Many questions are posed by the protagonist. My favourite - are 300 boring people fun or 300 times more boring? Bright illustrations with lots going on, perhaps too much for a boring book.
Cate
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sarah-and-sadie
Sarah and Sadie both loved this one. I wasn't as impressed as they were. Apparently it struck a chord because they are always complaining of boredom. Hats off to the story's mom who is like "what do you want me to do about it??"
Kimberly
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Deep thoughts for bored humans to consider.
Natalie Catherine  Davidson
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great picture book that can be used to promote children's curiosity about why we feel certain ways. It can be used in class as a way to evaluate if an activity is Boring or not, or by having children come up with plans of things the character can do to not be bored.
Juliana Lee
Seriously? This sounds like an adult talking to a kid about boredom. This child is bored and goes about examining everything he can think of about boredom... who came up with the word 'boring', was he bored, are people who look bored actually having fun, and vice-versa, what's the most boring thing in the world, what would a boring amusement park be like... Not only very adult sounding, it's also very long to read (or at least it seems that way). Maybe I don't know a good book anymore. Maybe I ...more
Earl
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who knew a book about boredom could be so fun?
Josiphine/Tessa
This picture book is not boring at all. It's quite fantastic.
Tonja Drecker
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never has boredom been so exciting as in these pages and been as boring as boredom truly is.

This boy is bored. He's bored of playing with his toys and can't think of anything to do. So, he complains to his mother, who wants to know what he expects her to do about it. Suddenly, the boy wonders—why am I bored? And this opens up a very packed and 'boring' adventure.

I've heard the same complaint from one of my sons quite a bit lately and had to laugh as I read through this. So did he (even if he
Barbara
Maybe I'm just an odd duck, but I have few memories of being bored as a child or even now as an adult. It seems that there's always something to keep me occupied, and as another reviewer mentioned, I would probably not have expressed my boredom when I was younger for fear that one of my parents would fill my boredom with a mundane task that would make that boredom quickly vanish. In this picture book, a young boy is bored, and tries to find ways that he might not be bored and then ponders ...more
Mahlon
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this. The illustrations are bomb and the text is excellent for talking about boredom, or making you think about how you experience boredom.

It also touches on how "boring" entered our vocabulary, which is an interesting question. When I took linguistics, I learned the word "boring" didn't enter the English lexicon until the mid-1700s. (And it's of British origin, too! It's not borrowed from another language!) It's so fascinating to think that English speakers went centuries without
Jana
Young readers will definitely be able to relate to the problem of being bored! As a kid, I remember that I didn't dare tell a parent that I was bored because they would surely find something for me to do, usually a household chore or yardwork! This fun picture book takes a closer look at boredom to help readers understand what it is and possibly come up with ways to alleviate the problem. Ultimately it's up to each person to be creative and make their own fun in this world. The clever ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
How many times have you heard a kid moan “This is boring!”? Well, now you can hand them this book to get them thinking about what it actually feels like to be bored. The young boy in the story complains of boredom, which gets him wondering all kinds of things, like whether vending machines get bored or if some people look bored but are actually having fun. The illustrations, which are done in brown and mostly primary colors, complement the text perfectly. Used as a read aloud, this will ...more
Nancy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great! I so remember feeling like this. So grateful that I never have the problem any longer. My Mama used to say, "Go write down 10 things you could be doing!" It always worked. I could usually find something on the list to relieve the boredom. I do wish I had this book. It would have been a wonderful consolation. Today it made me giggle!
Abbigail
I love this book! I just used it for story time, and by the end I felt like it was a little long, but overall I felt like it was received well by my story time audience. I would encourage using the thinker pose, funny voices, and silly faces, and asking them what makes them feel bored.
Jaime
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
So funny it's boring. This book had me laughing out loud.
Alison
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Not too boring . . . ...more
Elisabeth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This little dude cracked me up!
Kelly
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very fun!
K
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Really enjoyed this - and so perfect for our group.
Miss Sarah
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
An elementary and up book about a boy lamenting how bored he is than wondering if everyone is bored.
Racheal
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully existential
Great art--cover and end-papers especially.
Amy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
It was...boring!
Becca
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A child tries to figure out what the word "boring" actually means; not my favorite style of illustration.
Peacegal
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The perfect book to read when you're bored! Lots of imagination and "what ifs" to help give the sluggish mind a boost.

• A Stone Sat Still
  • Spencer's New Pet
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Skulls!
  • Maybe Tomorrow?
  • I Love All of Me (Wonderful Me)
  • Sulwe