Start by marking “My Singing Nana” as Want to Read:
My Singing Nana

My Singing Nana

"Always amigos!"

My Singing Nana is a compassionate tribute to families dealing with Alzheimer's Disease. This story celebrates the ideals of family, heritage, and happy memories, showing kids that no matter how their loved one might change they always have ways to maintain their special connection.

Published October 15th 2019 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about My Singing Nana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Singing Nana

Start your review of My Singing Nana
Etienne
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not for me! Just not the style of story that I enjoy. A bit too dense, not entertaining enough. I'm not a reader who like easy or simple story, even for kids, I like a message or some depth in the story but this one just seem like it try to shoot everywhere and missed everywhere. It should have focus on one or two elements and not all of those!
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a very light version of what kids go through when their loved ones start losing their memory. The memory loss is very slight, and the child is assured that as long as we show love, and compassions, that they will now that we love them. And it is fine to help them remember too.

Simple story, but good message, and the gramma does sing the song she is supposed to, even though it is with a different grandchild.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Natalie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This book is a book about Alzheimers/Dementia for children who may be experiencing it with an older relative - in this book it was the grandmother.
This book is a lovely gentle tale about a young boy and his love for his grandmother and how they help each other.
At the back of the book there are pointers for the parent on how to deal with handling a situation where a child may be
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
An excellent book that would aid children understand how dementia and Alzheimer's disease affects their loved ones. It validates their confusion and doesn't make them out to be clueless; kids notice when things are different. It's also touching since they're all making an effort to make Nana feel included in their activities, which is important with elders who are suffering from these diseases.
Thank you to Edelweiss and Magination Press for providing a review copy!
Sharon Lawler
Tender story about a family dealing with the grandmother in the early stages of Alzheimers.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Billy's Nana lives with his family. She cooks empanadas with the grandkids and directs their summer play for the family, but lately Nana is forgetting things, and Billy is worried. When his mother explains that Nana needs more help now, Billy thinks of all the things they can still do together - like looking at his rock collection, eating ice cream, and of course the big show.

We lost my mother to Alzheimers a few years ago. It was so hard to explain to my children what was happening because mom
A. Hunt
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many families are enduring the sadness that Alzheimers brings, but in the story My Singing Nana, they not only endure, they thrive. Each year Billy, Becky and Chris perform for their family and friends. They read poems, short stories and they sing. Nana sings too, but lately she’s been having trouble remembering things. Can she sing with the children?

As the grand and great grand daughter of two family members of Alzheimers and Dementia, this Tory struck close to home. It’s a sweet story that
Jane Miller
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very sweet story of an extended family of Spanish heritage living together. I liked the look into their life. Nana was living with her family of 5. She had 3 grandchildren whose lives she was very involved in. In this story the Nana appears to be in the very early stages of Alzheimers and the children are taught to appreciate all that she can still do.
While it was good I was hoping for something a little more intense. I would have liked to see the Nana be a little further into her
Mortisha Cassavetes
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
What a heart touching story about a family that is dealing with Alzheimer's Disease. The book follows young Billy, as they get ready for the night when all of their friends join together for a variety show. Billy is worried about his Nana as she forgets things more and more. The illustrations are bright and colorful. I loved them. I highly recommend this book for kids of all ages especially if dealing with Alzheimer's.
Lenoire
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The cute picture book depicts a family that has a member who suffers from Alzheimer's disease. It shows a child who is adjusting to life with his beloved grandmother who is forgetting things. The story helps instill the values of family, heritage, and relying on happy memories during tough times. A cute read for little ones who has beloved family member with the disease.
Viviane Elbee
A little boy prepares for a family & friends party with his grandmother, who is starting to forget things. Her Alzheimer’s is not yet too advanced, so she is still able to remember a lot, but the forgetfulness is already worrying the boy.
Marisa
Nov 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This was cute! The story gently approached the topic of memory loss in older adults and how a child could respond to them. Also, the family’s dynamic in this was very kind and sweet, which was cool to see. Oh! And the endpaper has empanadas all over it, so you know...win-win.
Desiree
I really enjoyed this book. It's a gentle introduction to the topic of memory loss. A grandson is afraid that his grandma is forgetting things. He pushes past his fear to help his grandma remember their special song just in time for their big performance.
Debbie
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Singing Nana is a sweet story. It helps families with small children exposed to elderly family members or family friends suffering dementia, promoting discussion and nice examples of appropriate language.
Edward Sullivan
A compassionate story about a Latino family dealing with Alzheimer's Disease.
Dawn Schlienz
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very sweet book about a boy and his concern for his grandmother, who has dementia.
Miss Sarah
A young boy and his sibling put on a show every year and this year Nana isn't able to help them as much becasue of her memory issues. Elementary and up
Britt Margit
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story made me smile - a wonderful reminder of how lucky we are to spend time with our grandparents, even as they begin forgetting. My Singing Nana lends a whole lot of heart to the simplest lessons.
Peacegal
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a sweet family story that models compassion and togetherness as a beloved grandmother experiences memory loss. Lots of good Spanish vocabulary words too.
Abby
Melissa
Nov 05, 2019
Mattie
Nov 16, 2019

• Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • Music for Mister Moon
  • The Space Walk
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • Sulwe
  • Strange Birds: A Field Guide to Ruffling Feathers
  • Ella McKeen, Kickball Queen
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Bird Count
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Saturday
  • Camp Tiger
  • It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way
  • Pick a Pumpkin
Pat Mora (born 1942) is a female Mexican-American author and poet. Pat Mora was born in El Paso, Texas. She is married and has 3 grown children.