Start by marking “Alma and the Beast” as Want to Read:
Alma and the Beast

Alma and the Beast

Alma's beautiful, hairy world is turned upside down by the arrival of a stranger. From the utterly original imagination of the author-illustrator of Ooko comes a story about celebrating differences and making new friends. For fans of Where the Wild Things Are and Wild.

Alma lives happily in her hairy world, where she can braid the trees, comb the grass, pet the roof and feed h
Published September 3rd 2019 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Alma and the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alma and the Beast

Start your review of Alma and the Beast
La Coccinelle
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is definitely an imaginative book, set in parallel worlds that are both like and unlike our own.

Despite what you might expect from the title and cover illustration, Alma is, in fact, the "beast" (at least, from a human point of view). This is where I ran into a bit of trouble. The little girl is the beast from Alma's point of view, and since that's the point of view where the book starts, the little girl is continually referred to as "the beast". Now, maybe it's just me, but eve
Etienne
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated this book has a cute story about friendship and again (seem like I get a lot of those these days) some thinking about respecting others and their differences. it was good, but I read better book that approach a similar topic, and some of them were better, deeper then this one, that's why it loose some stars!
Wayne McCoy
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Alma and the Beast' with words and pictures by Esme Shapiro is a wildly imaginative picture book about making new friends, even if they are different from us.

Alma lives in a very hairy land. She braids the trees and combs the grass and pets her ceiling. The bees leave strands of honey, and Alma's pet is a hairy butterfly. One day, she finds a monster that is a little girl from our world. The girl is very different from Alma, but she is also lost. Can these two very different creatur
Stephanie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5- strange, cute, weird.
bet mercer
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
An imaginatively illustrated story with a simple yet profound twist--the vibrant and intricate images burst off the pages, while the tale invites you on an inverted journey about strangers and friends and finding home. Alma's world is delightful, and its details will linger with me for a while.
Stephanie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Esmé Shapiro brings us the silly tale of Alma, a yeti like creature, who discovers a beast in her yard one day. The beast happens to be a little girl who has gotten lost. In Alma’s world things are a little different, everything is very hairy just like she is. She combs her grass and braids the trees and goes about her day. When she realizes the beast is sad because she is lost, Alma shows compassion for this strange creature and helps her find the way home. The beast’s home is decidedly less ha ...more
Pete Barell
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-collection-dev
ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

A story about friendship and understanding, done in some standout artwork. Alma is what humans would call a beast. She's a hairy, wooly creature that spends her days braiding trees and feeding her butterfly creature pet. But to her, HUMANS are beasts. So when one day she stumbles upon a "hairless, button nosed beast" who is lost, she must come out of her comfort zone and learn about the differences that can exist between people.

I found the book to ha
Megan Schmelzer
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alma and the Beast is a beautifully constructed version of a beloved fairy tale. In a play of Beauty and the Beast, you will find that roles have changed in Esme Shapiro's new version. The Beast is not who you think it should be, but you will love the flip of characters in this fun version.

In addition to the fun take of the new characters, Alma and the Beast is an illustration goldmine. Page-after-page of this book is covered in mesmerizing drawings. I am awe in the sheer talent that
April Gray
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! The illustrations are lush and gorgeous, and the story is beautiful. Alma lives in a world where everything is made from or covered in hair, including herself. One day, she finds a mostly hairless beast in her yard, who is lost and trying to find her way home. Alma helps the beast get back to her world, which Alma finds strange- nothing is hairy there! The beast shows Alma her world, and the two become friends. When it's time for Alma to go home, she finally learns the beast' ...more
Leah Horton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alma and the Beast surprised me immediately with its flip flop of characters. Hairy Alma lives in a magical and hairy land while hairless beast Mala lives in our world. Lost in Alma’s world the beast needs help to find her way home. Although initially Alma is afraid of the beast eventually she helps her find her way home and she sees how different their worlds are.

Fun and strange descriptive language and magical illustrations make this book fun to read. Teaching children that our differences ar
Allie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a copy of this from NetGalley

I thought this book was very clever in subverting expectations and making the human the unknown. Alot of possible lessons about making assumptions, and how to treat others who are unfamiliar, in kind ways. The illustrative style is gorgeous and quirky, especially Alma's world of furry hairy everything. Very cute.
Deanna
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow okay here we go, this art work....this goddamn art work *bows down*

I can see this book being a child's favorite and they grow up with it and then get the art tattooed on them. It's that kind of art. It's so beautiful and cute and unique I adore it beyond words.

The story is cute too, just kind of simple, but that's fine.
Shahna
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I was sent this book from Penguin Random House.

I think it’s adorable. I love the illustrations, they are fun and colourful and the character design is sweet.
Overall I love the book. Everything about it is cute. It’s a simple story about new friendship and working together. I think it’d be great for story time. Adorable.
Elizabeth Seibel
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you #netgalley for giving me a copy of #AlmaAndTheBeast to review. This was a good book about seeing things from another perspective. All the hairiness in Alma's world was a little weird, but it made sense with the story. A cute read that I would recommend to my students looking for something quirky.
Ryan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want every page of this book to be art on the walls of my library. Alma is a hairy individual who spends their day braiding the trees, combing the grass, and painting the roof. One day they meet a hairless button nose beast who is lost and just wants help. This story was magical and the illustrations make it next to perfect.
BrookesEducationLibrary
This is an unusual little picture book set in a very hairy parallel universe where the beast is actually the human. The illustrations are stunning and dreamy and it covers themes of home, being lost, making friends and feeling out of sorts sometimes.
Michelle
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
***Thanks to the publisher and #NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
Alma and the Beast is a surprising treat! The illustrations are whimsical and the story bursts from the page with humor and heart.
Corrie Campbell
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute story of a little girl meeting a beast and experiencing the fact that home is different for everyone. She learns the ways of the beast's home but still appreciates and misses her own home. Cute illustrations.
Jesica DeHart
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wildly unique and linguistically textured book with illustrations that take the page to the very edge. An unlikely pairing of outdoor explorers meet and explore each other’s vastly different worlds with curious and open minds reminding each of us to be open to the unusual and unknown.
Elizabeth Mellen
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was sweet and I loved how it flipped preconceived notions on their head and showed perception matters (as does empathy and kindness) plus I loved the art :)
Stefanie Molinaro
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Plumpooshkie!
Kelly
I couldn't get into the story. I understand the appeal...how the tables can turn depending on our perspective...but it just didn't appeal to me.
Mollie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so unexpected and cute! I've loved Shapiro's illustrations since I read the Eliza Schuyler Hamilton bio she illustrated, and they were wonderful in this book.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A quirky story with appealingly distinctive illustrations set in a hairy world.
Victoria
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very beautifully detailed picture book for little ones who love to do hair. Teaches values to young ones about how lots of people are different and its ok to be yourself.
Anne Baker
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute imaginary world; a story about new friends, getting lost, and the comfort of home. May not be for those with trichophobia or people with issues reading about hairy things.
Kit Feral
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So weird. So hairy. So charming.
MayorEmma
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, I thought this one was interesting, but the artwork is kind of creepy.
Louise Gallant