Start by marking “Saturday” as Want to Read:
Saturday

Saturday

In this warm and tender story by the Caldecott Honor-winning creator of Thank You, Omu!, join a mother and daughter on an up-and-down journey that reminds them of what’s best about Saturdays: precious time together.

Today would be special. Today would be splendid. It was Saturday! But sometimes, the best plans don’t work out exactly the way you expect….

In this heartfelt and
Published October 22nd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Saturday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday

Start your review of Saturday
RJ
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deep breathing! Mindfulness for storytime!

EDIT: I've been thinking about this book a lot while sheltering in place. It's about disruption of routine, mindfulness & self-soothing through frustration & disappointment, and making your own fun at home when all of your plans fall apart. It will be the first book I read at storytime when I get back to the library.
Racheal
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Thank You, Omu, last year (well deserved Caldecott honor) and now that Oge Mora has duplicated the same magic here I think it's officially safe to say that she's one of my favorite picture book authors :)
Cecelia
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In case you weren’t reading my blog last winter, I am in love with Oge Mora’s art! I bought… oh, 5 or so? copies of her debut picture book Thank You, Omu! and gave them to the small children in my life. It was that. good. So when I saw that Mora was doing a signing at ALA, I bought a copy of her new book, Saturday, without hesitation. And friends? It is delightful. Gorgeous, intricate illustrations paired with a lovely story make for another future classic. Saturday is outstanding.

In Oge Mora’s
Chance Lee
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-it
A special book about a special relationship on a special day!
Erika
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Oge Mora's THANK YOU, OMU!, you'll love SATURDAY. Mora returns with her brilliant illustrations and heartfelt story. In SATURDAY, Ava and her mom anticipate their special weekly time together, but as often is the case for many of us, life happens. A special thank you to Oge for reminding us the simplest things are the most important.
Ms. B
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture
4.5 stars. Saturdays are the day that Ava and her mother cherish because they get to spend the day together doing their favorite things. What happens one Saturday when nothing goes as planned? If you're looking for a story about positive attitude, this one is for you.
DaNae
Growth mindset in action.
Megan Sanks
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story and I adored that there were flamingos hidden everywhere!
Kris Dersch
This was just lovely from start to finish. I adore this illustrator. Ava's mom works six days a week (my kid asked me why she has to work so much and I told him this is the reality for a LOT of families) so Saturday is the day they have to spend together and they have all kinds of plans. But when the plans fall through is it what they do or who they do it with that counts? I love the relatable mom who has her own disappointments...this is not the mom protecting kid from the world narrative but m ...more
KC
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens on Saturday.
Leslie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
When things don’t turn out as planned, you try to make the best of them! Ava and her mom do just that.
Starting out the 2020 school year with this one to help us connect with the fact that things don't always work out they way we hoped, but we can turn it around to the positive! :)
Destinee Sutton
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mom who works fulltime, this book tugged my heartstrings hard. The mother and daughter depicted in this story cherish their time together on Saturdays, even when the day is kind of a disaster. It's a simple story with a familiar theme, but it still feels exceptional. The illustrations somehow radiate joy in the bond between parent and child. The story is told with an excellent refrain: they take a deep breath and let it out like "whoosh" when something bad happens. I use Thank You, Omu! a l ...more
Shaye Miller
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ava and her mother have all sorts of wonderful plans for their Saturday. It’s the best day of the week because mother doesn’t go to work. Yet things don’t always go as planned, and this is certainly the case on this particular Saturday. Storytime at the library is canceled, their hairdos are ruined by a car splash, the park is too loud, and they miss the puppet theatre they were so excited to attend. Ultimately, they’re faced with the understanding that Saturdays are special primarily because th ...more
Amy Layton
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ADORABLE.  This book.  Is everything.  It's like, the updated version of McKissack's Ma Dear's Aprons in which there's only one day a week for mother and child to really spend time together without the interference of work.  With a collage-esque illustration style, Mora shows that Saturdays are as much of a construction as we can make them, that even when the pieces don't seem to go together, it can still be beautiful and fun!  And the story, UGH, the story!  When their Saturday doesn't go corre ...more
Connie T.
What child doesn't know the disappointment of highly anticipated, carefully made plans going awry? Saturdays are special for Ava because that is the day she gets to spend with her mom. They have a schedule of fun things they usually do and this week will be even better because they have tickets for a one-time-only puppet show. Nothing goes according to plan, yet the two have a splendid day anyway.

I love how they "paused, closed their eyes, and - whew! - let out a deep breath." If only more child
Janet
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember writing in my review for Mora’s first illustrated story that I was looking forward to seeing more of her work. Here it is and it doesn’t disappoint, perhaps I like this more universal story more. Here the mother and daughter look forward to the activities they will do on the Mother’s Day off. Saturday ‘s plans fall apart, but this mother daughter duo save the evening.
Love the fact that the first activity was going to storytime at the library.
Love how Mora sometimes has old book clippi
Marathon County Public Library
Today will be special. Today will be splendid. Today is Saturday! Ava's mother works Sunday through Friday, so their Saturdays together are precious. Saturdays are filled with fun activities the mother-daughter duo partake in together: story time at the library, visits to the salon, and picnics in the park.

When Ava and her mother have a not-so-great Saturday, they take deep breaths and realize what is the best about Saturdays: precious time together. This tale is a great bedtime, story time, or
Lin Lin
I like this new book written by Oge Mora, who also wrote the award-winning "Thank you, Omu!". The bonding between the mother and the daughter is so strong that even a series of "unfortunate" events won't affect it. They enjoy spending time together and every Saturday becomes special. I would encourage my teacher candidates to include this book in their unit plan on family to increase the diversity of their selections.
Laura Harrison
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait, 2019
Saturday is everything a picture book should be. Absolute perfection. The cover art and colors within Saturday are so joyous and bubbly. At the same time, Oge Mora's style is mature and sophisticated. Mora won a Caldecott Honor for her wonderful Thank You, Omu. I hope Saturday wins one award (the coveted Caldecott), or many January 2020. It is just that good.
Beverly
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-family
Mora excels at both writing and illustrating a picture book; she knows how to pace the book just right, and she excelled at the repeating "chorus" of the story. The adorable, stylized illustrations were created with acrylic paint, china markers, patterned paper and old-book clippings. I expect this book, her second, will receive as many accolades as did her first one.
Caroline
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book! I absolutely loved that it included women of color, a working mom, strategies for staying cool when you get upset, and ultimately, a daughter who loves her mom so much that nothing could ruin their day!
AMY
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-1
This is a lovely picture book with a collage style of art. It is all about a little girl who enjoys a regular routine with her mom each Saturday. One Saturday everything does not go as planned and they have to make things work. It is colorful and contains a great realistic theme of figuring out what is really important and enjoying life. Kids will love this one. Highly recommended for Grades K-1.
Holly
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have been excited to read Oge Mora's next book ever since seeing her speak at the Coretta Scott King Awards in DC last summer. This is good, probably better than Thank You, Omu - for me at least. It's cool to see a book that portrays a seriously hardworking mother.
Kenna
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books, ebook
This was absolutely precious! The art-style was so unique and from what I gather the author did it all herself (I could be wrong though).
Anthony
Saturday is the day that Ava, and her mother spends all day doing fun things, but this Saturday would be a Saturday that is turned upside down. But through the ups and downs and many set backs this Saturday like all the many Saturdays before is still a special time.
Teonna Taylor
Ava cherishes Saturdays! On Saturdays she and her mother have adventures and and spend quality time together. But on this particular Saturday nothing goes as planned. Yet, Ava still loves and appreciates the time she was able to spend with her mother.
Susan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty much a perfect picture book. And even though I knew where it was going I still got a bit teary at the end, which is apparently something I do a lot now.
Sonja
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! We learn that we can make our own fun and enjoy time together without having to spend money!
Juli Anna
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So sweet and simple. This is one for any kid with a beloved, hard-working mom!
Bethany Keeley
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-a-kid
Great pictures and a very sweet story about dealing with disappointment.

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story