Start by marking “Saturday” as Want to Read:
Saturday

Saturday

In this warm and tender story by the Caldecott Honor-winning creator of Thank You, Omu!, join a mother and daughter on an up-and-down journey that reminds them of whats best about Saturdays: precious time together.

Today would be special. Today would be splendid. It was Saturday! But sometimes, the best plans dont work out exactly the way you expect.

In this heartfelt and
Published October 22nd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Saturday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday

Start your review of Saturday
Chance Lee
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-it
A special book about a special relationship on a special day!
Erika
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Oge Mora's THANK YOU, OMU!, you'll love SATURDAY. Mora returns with her brilliant illustrations and heartfelt story. In SATURDAY, Ava and her mom anticipate their special weekly time together, but as often is the case for many of us, life happens. A special thank you to Oge for reminding us the simplest things are the most important.
Racheal
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Thank You, Omu, last year (well deserved Caldecott honor) and now that Oge Mora has duplicated the same magic here I think it's officially safe to say that she's one of my favorite picture book authors :)
Megan Sanks
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story and I adored that there were flamingos hidden everywhere!
DaNae
Growth mindset in action.
KC
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens on Saturday.
Ms. B
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, 2019
4.5 stars. Saturdays are the day that Ava and her mother cherish because they get to spend the day together doing their favorite things. What happens one Saturday when nothing goes as planned? If you're looking for a story about positive attitude, this one is for you.
Cecelia
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In case you werent reading my blog last winter, I am in love with Oge Moras art! I bought oh, 5 or so? copies of her debut picture book Thank You, Omu! and gave them to the small children in my life. It was that. good. So when I saw that Mora was doing a signing at ALA, I bought a copy of her new book, Saturday, without hesitation. And friends? It is delightful. Gorgeous, intricate illustrations paired with a lovely story make for another future classic. Saturday is outstanding.

In Oge Moras
Destinee Sutton
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mom who works fulltime, this book tugged my heartstrings hard. The mother and daughter depicted in this story cherish their time together on Saturdays, even when the day is kind of a disaster. It's a simple story with a familiar theme, but it still feels exceptional. The illustrations somehow radiate joy in the bond between parent and child. The story is told with an excellent refrain: they take a deep breath and let it out like "whoosh" when something bad happens. I use Thank You, Omu! a ...more
Amy Layton
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
ADORABLE.  This book.  Is everything.  It's like, the updated version of McKissack's Ma Dear's Aprons in which there's only one day a week for mother and child to really spend time together without the interference of work.  With a collage-esque illustration style, Mora shows that Saturdays are as much of a construction as we can make them, that even when the pieces don't seem to go together, it can still be beautiful and fun!  And the story, UGH, the story!  When their Saturday doesn't go ...more
Connie T.
What child doesn't know the disappointment of highly anticipated, carefully made plans going awry? Saturdays are special for Ava because that is the day she gets to spend with her mom. They have a schedule of fun things they usually do and this week will be even better because they have tickets for a one-time-only puppet show. Nothing goes according to plan, yet the two have a splendid day anyway.

I love how they "paused, closed their eyes, and - whew! - let out a deep breath." If only more
Marathon County Public Library
Today will be special. Today will be splendid. Today is Saturday! Ava's mother works Sunday through Friday, so their Saturdays together are precious. Saturdays are filled with fun activities the mother-daughter duo partake in together: story time at the library, visits to the salon, and picnics in the park.

When Ava and her mother have a not-so-great Saturday, they take deep breaths and realize what is the best about Saturdays: precious time together. This tale is a great bedtime, story time, or
Janet
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember writing in my review for Moras first illustrated story that I was looking forward to seeing more of her work. Here it is and it doesnt disappoint, perhaps I like this more universal story more. Here the mother and daughter look forward to the activities they will do on the Mothers Day off. Saturday s plans fall apart, but this mother daughter duo save the evening.
Love the fact that the first activity was going to storytime at the library.
Love how Mora sometimes has old book clippings
Lin Lin
I like this new book written by Oge Mora, who also wrote the award-winning "Thank you, Omu!". The bonding between the mother and the daughter is so strong that even a series of "unfortunate" events won't affect it. They enjoy spending time together and every Saturday becomes special. I would encourage my teacher candidates to include this book in their unit plan on family to increase the diversity of their selections.
Beverly
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-family
Mora excels at both writing and illustrating a picture book; she knows how to pace the book just right, and she excelled at the repeating "chorus" of the story. The adorable, stylized illustrations were created with acrylic paint, china markers, patterned paper and old-book clippings. I expect this book, her second, will receive as many accolades as did her first one.
Laura Harrison
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait, 2019
Saturday is everything a picture book should be. Absolute perfection. The cover art and colors within Saturday are so joyous and bubbly. At the same time, Oge Mora's style is mature and sophisticated. Mora won a Caldecott Honor for her wonderful Thank You, Omu. I hope Saturday wins one award (the coveted Caldecott), or many January 2020. It is just that good.
Kenna
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, library-books
This was absolutely precious! The art-style was so unique and from what I gather the author did it all herself (I could be wrong though).
Anthony
Saturday is the day that Ava, and her mother spends all day doing fun things, but this Saturday would be a Saturday that is turned upside down. But through the ups and downs and many set backs this Saturday like all the many Saturdays before is still a special time.
Sonja
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! We learn that we can make our own fun and enjoy time together without having to spend money!
Teonna Taylor
Ava cherishes Saturdays! On Saturdays she and her mother have adventures and and spend quality time together. But on this particular Saturday nothing goes as planned. Yet, Ava still loves and appreciates the time she was able to spend with her mother.
Holly
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have been excited to read Oge Mora's next book ever since seeing her speak at the Coretta Scott King Awards in DC last summer. This is good, probably better than Thank You, Omu - for me at least. It's cool to see a book that portrays a seriously hardworking mother.
RJ
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deep breathing! Mindfulness for storytime!
Juli Anna
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So sweet and simple. This is one for any kid with a beloved, hard-working mom!
Susan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty much a perfect picture book. And even though I knew where it was going I still got a bit teary at the end, which is apparently something I do a lot now.
Bethany Keeley
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-a-kid
Great pictures and a very sweet story about dealing with disappointment.
Ryan
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Did I read this book in a bookstore just so I could end my reading challenge on an even number? Yes, yes I did.
Tina Hoggatt
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A second beautiful book by an author illustrator who understands the issues that matter to a young child, the strength of family and a loving relationship, and the fun that can be had together, even when everything goes wrong. I adored this book with its signature collaged illustrations.
Nov 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved this joyful book on so many levels but especially appreciated it as a working momma.
RachelAnne
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
It's hard to be objective; this one hit me where I live. In some ways, it's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day for a younger audience-- but the feel of the book is entirely different, because of the characters' hopeful resilience, and the emphasis on the mother's and child's excitement at getting to spend an entire day together. The bold, lushly colored collage illustrations reinforce that sense of energy and hope. Preschoolers will love this book, but let's face it, ...more
Lynn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh we've ALL had a special day go completely wrong! Oge Mora, however, gets it just right!

Charming story of a mother and daughter who support each other and find a way to still enjoy a treasured Saturday. The wonderful text makes this a perfect story-time book and the colorful fun collage illustrations are so much fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »