Start by marking “Saturday” as Want to Read:
Saturday

Saturday

In this warm and tender story by the Caldecott Honor-winning creator of Thank You, Omu!, join a mother and daughter on an up-and-down journey that reminds them of what’s best about Saturdays: precious time together.

Today would be special. Today would be splendid. It was Saturday! But sometimes, the best plans don’t work out exactly the way you expect….

In this heartfelt and
Published October 22nd 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Saturday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday

Start your review of Saturday
Megan Sanks
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the story and I adored that there were flamingos hidden everywhere!
KC
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens on Saturday.
Ms. B
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture
4.5 stars. Saturdays are the day that Ava and her mother cherish because they get to spend the day together doing their favorite things. What happens one Saturday when nothing goes as planned? If you're looking for a story about positive attitude, this one is for you.
Cecelia
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In case you weren’t reading my blog last winter, I am in love with Oge Mora’s art! I bought… oh, 5 or so? copies of her debut picture book Thank You, Omu! and gave them to the small children in my life. It was that. good. So when I saw that Mora was doing a signing at ALA, I bought a copy of her new book, Saturday, without hesitation. And friends? It is delightful. Gorgeous, intricate illustrations paired with a lovely story make for another future classic. Saturday is outstanding.

In Oge Mora’s
DaNae
Growth mindset in action.
Destinee Sutton
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mom who works fulltime, this book tugged my heartstrings hard. The mother and daughter depicted in this story cherish their time together on Saturdays, even when the day is kind of a disaster. It's a simple story with a familiar theme, but it still feels exceptional. The illustrations somehow radiate joy in the bond between parent and child. The story is told with an excellent refrain: they take a deep breath and let it out like "whoosh" when something bad happens. I use Thank You, Omu! a ...more
Beverly
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-family
Mora excels at both writing and illustrating a picture book; she knows how to pace the book just right, and she excelled at the repeating "chorus" of the story. The adorable, stylized illustrations were created with acrylic paint, china markers, patterned paper and old-book clippings. I expect this book, her second, will receive as many accolades as did her first one.
Laura Harrison
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, omg-cant-wait
Saturday is everything a picture book should be. Absolute perfection. The cover art and colors within Saturday are so joyous and bubbly. At the same time, Oge Mora's style is mature and sophisticated. Mora won a Caldecott Honor for her wonderful Thank You, Omu. I hope Saturday wins one award (the coveted Caldecott), or many January 2020. It is just that good.
Kenna
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books, ebook
This was absolutely precious! The art-style was so unique and from what I gather the author did it all herself (I could be wrong though).
Anthony
Saturday is the day that Ava, and her mother spends all day doing fun things, but this Saturday would be a Saturday that is turned upside down. But through the ups and downs and many set backs this Saturday like all the many Saturdays before is still a special time.
Sonja
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! We learn that we can make our own fun and enjoy time together without having to spend money!
Teonna Taylor
Ava cherishes Saturdays! On Saturdays she and her mother have adventures and and spend quality time together. But on this particular Saturday nothing goes as planned. Yet, Ava still loves and appreciates the time she was able to spend with her mother.
Holly
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have been excited to read Oge Mora's next book ever since seeing her speak at the Coretta Scott King Awards in DC last summer. This is good, probably better than Thank You, Omu - for me at least. It's cool to see a book that portrays a seriously hardworking mother.
Chance Lee
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-it
A special book about a special relationship on a special day!
Susan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty much a perfect picture book. And even though I knew where it was going I still got a bit teary at the end, which is apparently something I do a lot now.
Tina Hoggatt
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A second beautiful book by an author illustrator who understands the issues that matter to a young child, the strength of family and a loving relationship, and the fun that can be had together, even when everything goes wrong. I adored this book with its signature collaged illustrations.
Ryan
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Did I read this book in a bookstore just so I could end my reading challenge on an even number? Yes, yes I did.
Racheal
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Thank You, Omu, last year (well deserved Caldecott honor) and now that Oge Mora has duplicated the same magic here I think it's officially safe to say that she's one of my favorite picture book authors :)
Nov 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved this joyful book on so many levels but especially appreciated it as a working momma.
Lynn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh we've ALL had a special day go completely wrong! Oge Mora, however, gets it just right!

Charming story of a mother and daughter who support each other and find a way to still enjoy a treasured Saturday. The wonderful text makes this a perfect story-time book and the colorful fun collage illustrations are so much fun.
Raven Black
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Brightly colored, slightly predictable ending, but over all a sweet story. Would be a good book to read if your own perfect Saturday had a few glitches to it.
Baby Bookworm
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Saturday by Oge Mora, a heartwarming story of mother and daughter.

Saturdays are Ava’s favorite day; her mother works every other day of the week, so Saturdays are just for the two of them. They even have their weekly ritual all planned out: first, go to the library for storytime; then relax at the beauty shop as they get their hair done; then off to the park for a picnic. And today’s Saturday is even more special, because they’re capping it off with a special,
Mary
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever create grand plans and exciting adventures for your children, only to have things not quite go as planned? I for one know that I get awfully disappointed when that happens, and that my children are usually much better at rolling with the punches than I am. I also feel like this can be a really common experience during the holidays (we all have a little Clark Griswold inside us, right?), when we try so hard to make things magical for children. Oge Mora has captured these experiences ...more
Tasha
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Saturday is Ava’s favorite day. It’s the day of the week that her mother doesn’t have to work and where they spend special time together. On Saturdays, they go to storytime at the library, have their hair done at the salon, and have a picnic in the park. And this Saturday, they were also planning to go to a puppet show that night. So off they set. But when they got to the library, the storytime was cancelled. Leaving the hair salon, their hair got splashed and ruined. The park was too crowded ...more
Kristi Bernard
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
Saturday is always a great time to spend with a loved one. But, sometimes a planned day doesn’t always go as planned. This is just that story. The question is can you make the best of it?

Ava and her mother love Saturdays. They always plan fun things to do together. Ava’s mother works every other day of the week which is why Saturday is such a special day. They get to spend the entire day together. This Saturday they make plenty of plans, but nothing went as planned. The library story hour was
Sandy Brehl
It's no surprise that this latest release by creator/Caldecott honor winner Oge Mora is getting raves. I'll add this brief note to the many praises heading its way. The central theme that arises and resolves is that expectation and anticipation surrounding happy routines have deep emotional value, enhancing and confirming our sense of strength, security, and worth. When life disrupts those rituals it goes far beyond disappointing, nibbling at the core of our worth. And yet those necessary ...more
Margie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's name comes from the Roman god of agriculture and harvest, Saturn or Saturnus. By definition it is the seventh day of the week, coming between Friday and Sunday. It is considered a part of the weekend; those forty-eight hours when the five previous days of work or school are completed. It is a time for a more leisurely pace or, at the very least, a day dedicated to doing exactly what you choose to do, alone or with family or friends.

The demands of watching the clock and keeping to a set
Kyra Nay
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If Oge Mora’s debut, last year’s dazzling Thank You Omu!, didn’t convince you that this author-illustrator is a generational talent in the making, Saturday, her follow-up picture book surely will.

Ava loves Saturdays, the one day of the week that her mother doesn’t work. Mother and daughter look forward to their cherished routine – the library for storytime, the salon for fresh dos, the park for a peaceful picnic. And this Saturday is extra special, ending with a trip to a puppet show. But at
Stephanie Bange
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A charming story of mother-daughter time.

Ava and her mother have an extra special reason to look forward to the weekend - they get to spend time together and go to the library for a puppet show. When their hairdos are spoiled by the splash of a car, the noisiness of the park, and cannot go in to the puppet show, that doesn't "rain on their parade" - they make fun on their own.

Mora is brilliant in this loving story of time spent with mother and daughter. It builds excitement, until the letdown,
Erin
A celebration of a day together, even though it doesn't go as planned. The collage illustrations are bright and cheerful and full of texture and depth. The text bursts with onomatopoeic moments: much like Thank You, Omu! with its repeated "knock, knocks" this has several "zooooms" as Ava and her mother dash about town.

I think my favorite part is (view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »