Start by marking “Daisy's Run (The Clockwork Chimera #1)” as Want to Read:
Daisy's Run (The Clockwork Chimera #1)

Daisy's Run

(The Clockwork Chimera #1)

Life in deep space could be a drag sometimes, but Daisy supposed things could have been worse. They were still alive, after all, which was always a plus in her book. Now if only she could figure out who, or what, was endangering her return home, things would be just peachy.

Published December 17th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Daisy's Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daisy's Run

Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Even as a kid growing up in the 80's with all the "firsts" of space exploration, I never dreamed about being an astronaut. Oh, sure, I'm a TNG Star Trek fan but beyond that, I can't say there's anything about space or science fiction that I really geek about. (And I'm not so sure that I'm not just a Patrick Stewart fan, because, c'mon, it's Patrick Stewart.) Ya'll are probably tired of hearing me say "I'm not that big of a sci-fi fan", yet I still keep reading it, don't I? Well, here are some re ...more
Shani Asokan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This book is incredibly confusing to review because every single chapter in the first 50 per cent was a struggle to get through. I seriously considered DNF’ing after the first sex scene because it made me cringe so, so hard.

And it’s not just that it was badly written either. I mean, it was terribly written but in addition, every single thing Daisy does, ends in badly written, cringeworthy sex.

However, after you get
Mike
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I wasn't especially surprised to find out, at the end of this book, that the author works in Hollywood (as an on-set doctor). A lot of it only makes sense if you apply Hollywood logic; consists of Hollywood cliches; or makes mistakes that Hollywood makes.

For example, people in real life don't sit bolt upright after they wake from a nightmare. It's a Hollywood cliche, to convey an internal experience in a visual medium.

The far side of the moon is constantly referred to as the "dark side"; anyone
Apilrain
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has already got there first and is waiting for it."

Daisy is a typical snarky tech guru who wakes up to find to the ship she's serving on in need of emergency repairs. Those seem to be the least of her worries. I mean just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

This was a really fun ride. There was snark, aliens, handsome cyborgs and a big giant twist I d
Michelle
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a bit since I’ve read a complete female led sci-fi story. I really enjoyed this world building the author took in this book, I sensed part the way through this would be a series and look forward to the next one.

The lead character is fun and frustrating and just interesting to read. The book itself has a lot of technical reference peppered throughout the story, which for me added to the telling.

I look forward to book 2!

Thanks NetGalley for the ARC.
Koeur
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Publishing Date: November 2018

Publisher: Curiouser Publishing

ISBN: 9781945996184

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 3.6/5

Publisher’s Description: It had been one hell of a way to start the day––being rudely snapped from a deep cryo-sleep, and in the middle of a ship-wide crisis to boot––but Daisy was pleased to note that the ship had not decompressed, the crew hadn’t been blasted into space, and, most importantly, they hadn’t simply blown up. At least not yet. So, they had that going for them, but being stuck o
C.D. Tavenor
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daisy's Run: With a Slow Start, yet a Solid Sprint toward Future Tales

Daisy's Run immediately thrusts readers into a harrowing tale of the perils of space. Through twists and turns, readers will learn there is much more to Daisy than meets the eye. And not only is there more to Daisy, every character has their secrets to hide. As Daisy tries to unravel the truth, new discoveries meet her at every corner, and the story's final revelation surprised me, even as my skepticism meter had increasingly
Melissa
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Never Enough Books Logo

As someone who is a very big science fiction fan, when I was offered a chance to read Daisy’s Run, I jumped at the opportunity. It isn’t often that you come across a sci-fi book where the lead character is a female. And especially one who is as strong and snarky as Daisy.

Daisy’s Run is one of those books that hits the proverbial ground running. Right from the first page we are thrust in to a dangerous, and possibly deadly, situation. The space ship has been damaged by debris and if repairs are
Melanie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Having previously read other works by Scott Baron, I was excited to pick this one up. This one feels a bit distinct from the ones I've read in the past, as it has a lot more sci-fi elements to it. The main plot focuses on Daisy, who has just been awoken from a cryogenic sleep on a spacecraft headed to earth.

I think the highlight of this book is definitely the amount of attention and imagination that went into world-building. There's a very futuristic spin on all of the technology present in thi
Andria Potter
I’m still thinking about this book. I stayed up until about two in the morning to finish it (couldn’t sleep anyway, so why not read a book if you’re tossing and turning?), and was left wanting more due to it cutting off rather abruptly at the end. The book is set in the future, there’s some romance going on, and there’s lots of action, conspiracies, and general futuristic “how can this have happened” type of stuff going on.

Warnings/slightly spoilers sorry: romantic relationships with cyborgs, d
John Purvis
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Daisy's Run" eBook was published in 2018 and was written by Scott Baron (https://scottbaron.blog). Mr. Baron has published six novels. This is the first novel in his "Clockwork Chimera" series.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence, Mature Situations, and Mature Language. The story is set in the future. The primary character is Daisy Swarthmore, a twenty-five
Faith Jones
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were a few fiddly incongruities in Daisy’s Run (it's a 4.5 rounded up) but I don’t think I should be too critical about those because I enjoyed the adventure overall. I did wonder if it had been published in the wrong media as the sets and type of work it has been influenced by are all televisual; 2001 A Space Odyssey, Red Dwarf and the first Alien movie spring to mind, but I suppose Deepwater Black was the most comparable and that started as a novelisation (trilogy) and then morphed into ...more
Space Cowgirl
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something Scary👹 This Way Comes!

Adult Sci-fi Suspense with Adult Romance!
Human spacers are on their way back to the moon base near earth from deep space, in their ship VALI. All of the crew is in cryo sleep except for Harry, a cyborg, and the ship AI, Mal. Some sort of tiny space junk or object hits the ship, goes through the shields, and causes decompression and small fires in one pod section of the ship. The crew is woken up to make repairs.
The ship begins to exhibit small malfunctions month
Doctor Science
Didn't finish. This isn't a science fiction novel, it's a treatment for a scifi movie or TV show. Not a particularly up-to-date one, either: all the characters seem to be white (e.g. distinguished by hair color) with similarly Anglo names. These days, that's a kind of future uniformity that needs to be explained, not assumed as "normal": it made me feel as though this was a Retro Hugo candidate.

Further, the space ship is run by an AI (as per current SF standard), but there don't seem to be the u
Moon
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge sci-fi/fantasy geek, and really enjoy female protagonist-driven stories.

Daisy's Earth was invaded by aliens and the humans were annihilated. Some of the AIs managed to escape with the hope of saving humanity. There are some interesting hiccups along the way, of course.

The AIs are well-developed characters, and do everything from running communities to piloting ships and planning military ops. There are also cybernetic replacement parts for humans.

The characters are well-crafted, en
Helgaleena Healingline
Daisy wakes up from cryo-sleep early to help her ship's crew fight an unexpected hazard from external impact. With all she has to deal with, not being to remember her past properly gets put on the shelf until one of the crew gets sucked out an airlock while tracking an oxygen leak-- and ends up inside Daisy's head!

It turns out that there is more going on than she understands, and this run to Darkside lunar base for repairs is not at all routine. What's more, she has simply got to get over her p
Bibliogyan
Daisy’s Run is the first in a five-part science fiction series focused on artificial intelligence, cyborgs, spaceships, and what it means to be human. After an accident in space, the crew of a massive spaceship, the Vali, is woken from their cryo sleep in order to repair the ship. One of these characters is Daisy, one of the two technicians/engineers on the ship. She and Sarah work together to try to repair a ship that seems to be constantly malfunctioning, until one day a tragic event occurs an ...more
Ruth Turner
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit this is my first adventure with this genre of book - and the reason I chose it - I am shallow and my daughters name is Daisy, but I am absolutely hooked. Forgive me if this is off base, and I am by no means big on sci-fi usually but it put me in mind of a cross between Lost in Space and Star Trek (the tv one with Captain Jane, admittedly the only one I've seen!). You can absolutely tell that Scott Baron works in the movie industry - this book has "big screen adaptation" written all ...more
Leslie Wiederspan
First things first, I normally stay away from spacey sci-fi stuff. It gets all technical and makes me feel stupid. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I enjoyed the Cowboy Bebop and Star Wars references. And for some reason Final Fantasy VII kept popping in my head when certain characters were mentioned (Sid, Barry). I did get a bit lost on the technical jargon, but it wasn't overwhelming. I was excited to see what Daisy would do next; which systems she would change on the ship, wha ...more
Lady_Starkov
The book is set in the future, there’s some romance going on, and there’s lots of action, conspiracies, and general futuristic “how can this have happened” type of stuff going on. I really enjoyed this world building the author took in this book. The lead character is fun and frustrating and just interesting to read. While Daisy was the main character that I was rooting for, I also really liked Vince and Finn-Finn, because of his sarcastic nature and an incredible chef. Vince was also an interes ...more
Sharkie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well that was fun. And emotional, and crazy, and a whole load of other emotions.

Daisy is... unique. I'm not totally sure if I liked her, but when your in her situation, I guess I can't very well blame her. She's a protagonist who goes through it all, and while she comes out intact, it makes sense and doesn't feel like plot armour.

Now the plot is great. It's intricate, it's fun, there's lots going on and it will never be boring. I won't go into it, because it's really something you need to experi
S White
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
What a pity

I fell into this universe! The characters and twists kept me reading despite some seriously drawn out "action" sequences.
At 68%(yeah I noted it) the book took on a new direction. I started to worry! How could the author possibly complete the story with so little space left?!
Spoiler alert! They didn't. It is hard not to use profanity.
No I will not be following up with the next "book".
Bridgett Cleaveland-Lopresto
Definitely kept my attention the entire time. It was hard to put this book down as I was continuously rooting for Daisy to do everything she has to complete in this book. I could not believe the direction it took and what we find out at the end. I recommend this book to any and all. Just be prepared to be shocked in the end. Can't wait for the second book.
Bernie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book from start to finsh. The book grabed me at the start and held my interest to the end. The book did not play out the way I thought it would and I enjoyed it all the more because of the serios plot twits. I have already purchased the second book in the series and can't wait to get started.
Jessica Mcbee
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. It was nice to see a strong female lead and the writing was good. The mystery that unravels surprised me, which is good. I will definitely read the rest of this series!
Leanne
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im not usually a big fan of sci-fi but knowing this author's previous work i had no qualms in picking this book.
It started off slowly, with quite a few geeky/technical/hard to get my head round sections. These were also spread out throughout the book, giving us an insight into the technical genius involved here, not only of the characters but the author too!

Full review to follow. (Because despite not understanding some of it, ive still devoured it and now im tired!)

Marshall Clowers
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought I knew what was going on around 1/3 in to it, I was pleased to be pretty wrong about it.
Nothing much I can say without spoilers, other than I'm headed over to grab book 2.
Alex Ganon
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bear-hill-review
John Kraft
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Busy but sound

Had fun with the book. Provides plenty of intrigue and steps up your mental game. Reminds me of Ghost by Piers Anthony
Athena Elizabeth
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, a big thank you to NetGalley and Scott Baron for the eARC in exhange for an honest review!

As their spaceship is damaged and the crew is awoken early from stasis, we meet Daisy and company. Enter a world of technology and artificial intelligence, mystery, conspiracy, friendship and some bluntly described romance. Daisy and her shipmate Sarah are likeable characters and a big part of the hook was the development of our feelings towards the rest of the crew - for good or for worse.

The most i
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Updating an ASIN 2 19 Dec 19, 2018 11:04AM
Scott Baron is an American author with a penchant for oddball stories with O. Henry-esque twists.

Born in Hollywood, Baron credits growing up in Los Angeles with skewing his humor towards the offbeat and absurd. He studied abroad in Italy during his college years, returning to Los Angeles to work in the film industry as an on-set medic. In addition to writing shorts and novels, Baron is also a scr

The Clockwork Chimera (5 books)
  • Pushing Daisy (The Clockwork Chimera #2)
  • Daisy's Gambit (The Clockwork Chimera #3)
  • Chasing Daisy (The Clockwork Chimera #4)
  • Daisy's War (The Clockwork Chimera #5)