Start by marking “The Language of Cherries” as Want to Read:
The Language of Cherries

The Language of Cherries

When Evie Perez is cut off from everything she loves and forced to move to Iceland for the summer, she takes her canvas and paintbrushes into the picturesque cherry orchard behind her guesthouse. She stains her lips with stolen cherries in the midnight sun and paints a boy she’s never met.

Oskar is startled to discover Evie in his family’s orchard, and even more surprised
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Owl Hollow Press

Untitled by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsUntitled by Leigh BardugoOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusChain of Gold by Cassandra Clare
YA Novels of 2020
702 books — 1,627 voters
All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Loop by Ben   OliverA Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
YA Debuts 2020
117 books — 304 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Language of Cherries
Emer (A Little Haze)
The Language of Cherries is a very quiet YA contemporary with a strong mystical aspect. It is written in a lyrical fashion and takes its time to fully reveal the depth of emotion that it covers.

And by that I mean it's a very slow burn read... A little too slow burn for me with that first 40% or so... But then the book took off. And I suddenly found I was incredibly invested in the storyline of these two young people.

The book follows Evie who moves to Iceland one summer with her father. Evie is
Elly
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Language of Cherries is unlike anything I've ever read. I immediately fell in love with the premise, the characters, and the Icelandic setting. Richly textured with a mixture of crisp prose and poignant verse, it's the kind of book you read in one sitting, and then you read it again to savor. A brilliant gem of a book about how the heart needs no translator.
Hafsah Hussain
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

"Music is my only refuge, because when I sing, my strings aren’t broken."

Where do I even start? This book was perfect, it contained everything one would want in a contemporary. The whimsical writing style, the Icelandic setting and just the whole plot was spectacular. This is the kind of book you read in a day, and then immediately reread when you've finished because it was just lovely

Things I Loved:
• The writing style! Jen Marie Hawkins has a beautiful way with words, it's the kind
Maria
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
“The Language of Cherries”, by Jen Marie Hawkins (Owl Hollow Press), is a sweet, passionate romance between two young, lovable characters, Oskar and Evie. It’s an easy, light read, but also touching some dark themes with a bit of a paranormal twist.
Written in a lyrical, evocative prose that suits the subject and also matches the ethereal, supernatural beauty of Iceland’s landscape, the aurora borealis, druids and cherry orchards, the
Caroline Bertaud
From the first few pages, I knew that I was going to like this book. Turns out I loved it. It's not lyrical, per se, or maybe it is, but more so in the storytelling than the prose itself, which is fresh and well-versed. The Language of Cherries is filled with magical elements I'm not particularly keen on, but it features a whole set of characters, all more lovable than the next, and beautiful Icelandic settings. It’s a solid and impressive debut novel. I look forward to reading more from this ...more
Mary Ann Marlowe
Shelves: 2018-reads
This beautiful book gave me all the feels. The writing is seductive, and the Icelandic setting is stunning. I fell in love with all the incredible characters, but especially Oskar whose narrative comes through his poetry as he's more comfortable writing than speaking, and what he writes is so emotionally evocative, it so often brought me to tears, in the very best way. I just love this book so much, and can't recommend it enough.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are not enough words to express how much I loved this book. From the writing, to the characters, to the hints of magic that stuck with me long after the last page, it was perfection. I am beyond lucky to have read an early copy, but I can't wait to hold the real, live book in my hands. I envy everyone reading it for the first time.
K.A.
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed enough to read an early version of this book, and I cannot express how beautiful the story is, how deeply it resonated, how swoony the author's poetry is, or how much I loved the characters within the pages of this powerful book. It is dear, and cherished, and I cannot wait for you to meet the love of my life, Oskar. :) Also . . . DID I MENTION THERE WAS PIE???????????????
Anna Birch
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this book, and I am SO EXCITED to finally hold a copy in my hands! Jen's writing is breathtaking, and this story broke my heart in all the best ways. I can't wait to write a proper review when CHERRIES is released!
Andrea
Thank you so much to Owl Hollow Books for giving me an ARC of The Language of Cherries by Jen Marie Hawkins via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It’s summer, and Evelyn is whisked away by her father, against her will, to Iceland. She’s leaving her beautiful, hot Florida life to the cold but never ending sunshine of Iceland’s summer. She resists falling to the wonders of the foreign country, until she meets Icelandic boy Oskar, who will give heat to her Icelandic summer.

The Language of
Kristin Wright
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to get to read an early draft of this book and I'll openly beg you to read it. First off, the setting is astonishing: Iceland generally, but in particular a cherry orchard. The two main characters have instant chemistry, even though Oskar doesn't speak to Evie. We see his thoughts through the poetry in his journal and it is spare and heartbreaking. Not a word is wasted. Evie's point of view is instead beautiful and evocative prose. This author paints landscapes with her words. ...more
Tracie Martin
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, where do I get started with this gorgeous book? Jen's lyrical style shimmers like Iceland itself, and her deft understanding of the power of love and family and that gorgeous, dangerous boy full of secrets and soul will sweep you away. I adored Evie and Oskar: if you think you've read every kind of YA relationship, think again. If these two don't make you fall in love with love all over again, well, there's no hope for you!

And get ready to have a very very very strong craving for cherry
Sonia Hartl
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin on this gorgeous book? I was so incredibly lucky to read an early copy of this and a piece of my heart will always be in that Icelandic cherry orchard. The relationship between Evie and Oskar is so beautiful, and the skill it took to develop a deeply passionate and intense love story through mostly body language is nothing short of brilliant. This is the kind of book that grabs you and doesn’t let go. The kind of characters that stay with you long after the first page. I ...more
Wren Michaels
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will give you ALL THE FEELS. I was honored to read an early copy of this. Hawkins is a master with words and the way she can turn a phrase will leave you in awe. She captures your heart with words, pulls you into the story until you have a book hangover for days wanting more of these characters. Rich world building and characters you root for and relate to make her a master storyteller. I can't wait for the world to read this and fall in love with Hawkins words.
Summer Spence
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to get to read this gorgeous book pre-pub. The language is stunning, the setting breathtaking, and the romance absolutely magical. If you want to be swept away, this is the book for you!
Albertina
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evie Perez, a seventeen year old girl from Miami, finds her summer in hot pieces when she's forced to go to Iceland with her dad. In Iceland she knows nobody, spends her days indoors and thinks about her friends and grandma in Miami. However, one day she decides to go to a cherry orchard to paint - only to discover a strange force at hand and a handsome guy among the cherry trees.
Oskar doesn't utter a word to the enigmatic girl, afraid that she'll judge him for his stutter. Thinking Oskar
Michelle
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this touching story that shows us you don't always need words to fall in love; you can also communicate through art, music, and yes--cherries. Written in two viewpoints, one lyrical and one prosaic, The Language of Cherries unfolds slowly against the backdrop of Iceland in summer, which is beautifully described.

Evie and Oskar, teens who are each struggling to figure out their next steps in life, meet in Oskar's family's cherry orchard. Evie, straight from Florida and still
Jenna
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a book I couldn't put down. I didn't think twice when I first downloaded it, but I really enjoyed this one. It's a poetic, moving book in a setting of Iceland which I haven't read about before but fell in love with. The way the author wrote, and how fleshed out Oskar and Evie were, it felt like a real story. I haven't read magical realism before, but I felt like it was perfectly incorporated in the story as Evie painted the pictures that helped Oskar to ultimately grow and open up more. ...more
Jantine
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

After the first book I finished this year, I longed for a more quietly paced book. 'The Language of Cherries' turned out to be the perfect choice for that.

I liked the surroundings, and the way old words were spilled throughout (and explained at the end of every chapter). I also liked how Oskar's journal entries were like poems. Sometimes the language was just a bit too simple and childish to my taste, especially when I take
Albertina
Jessica
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Evie is forced to move to Iceland for the summer when her father gets work there. She leaves behind her Abuela, her friends and school.

She decides to visit a cherry orchard behind the guesthouse they are staying in. She gets a feeling that she has to paint there. Here, she meets Oskar who lives on the orchard and is surprised to see her on his family’s orchard and more surprised to see that she’s painted him.

Evie becomes comfortable with Oskar and eventually starts telling him everything about
Kat
Dec 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
#TheLanguageofCherries
#NetGalley
A lovely written young adult novel about family relationships that can transform us from young people into adults before we know it. A definite must read for 2020.
Karen Trosterud
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing story!! I fell in love with these characters right from the beginning!!! HIGHLY recommend
Sarah (Cover to Cover Reviews)
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. "The Language of Cherries" will be released February 11th, 2020.

I don't think it's a coincidence that, in an early scene, it's mentioned that bookish protagonist Evie is reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "A Hundred Years of Solitude," because I feel like the author was going for a sort of "Icelandic Garcia-Marquez" vibe. That was one thing I didn't expect at all, especially because I put this book on my TBR
MoreBooksPlease!
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first 5 star read of 2020!

I will openly admit right here that this book goes completely against my reading grain. I am 25 years older than the main characters, so teenage romance has not been an interest of mine in a loooooong time, and I don't normally like mysticism as a genre, even in teeny tiny doses like this. However, a few months ago, I stumbled across the premise and it just called out to me, so I added it to my TBR immediately. I am SO, SO happy I got to read an advanced copy
Isabel✨
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book kind of surprised me. I went into it looking for another hit for my magical realism addiction, but to be honest, that wasn't quite exactly what I got. But I'm not mad about it.

The Language of Cherries is the story of Evie Perez, an American girl spending the summer in Iceland with her father. Leaving behind a chaotic life in Florida, Evie discovers a local cherry orchard and befriends the woman who owns it and her jaded nephew, Oskar. Afraid to reveal his stutter, Oskar pretends he
Edd Tello
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning, I had an intuition that I would enjoy this book. So it was. I feel blessed for having read the premise of this gem available on February 11, 2020. There are many things I want to point out about this novel, but first things first.

What is this book about?
Evie Perez is forced to leave the life she once knew in Florida to move out to Iceland with her father. She takes her canvas and paintbrushes into the cherry orchard behind her guesthouse. She resists enjoying this new life
Josie Moone
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favourites
Has a book ever taken your breath away, made you fall in love with your teenage years and become a hopeless romantic? This book did that for me. It made me swoon—yes, actually swoon.

I wasn’t sure what I expected when I first began the book, I had reservations, nervousness of what I was about to embark on. NetGalley provided me with an ARC of this, and I wanted to give my honest review, but all of those fears, the nerves I felt melted away within the first two chapters.

I fell in love.

With a
Lindsay Trapp
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
The Language of Cherries review

I have mixed feelings about this book because there were some things I loved, but there were other things that made me uncomfortable.

I really enjoyed reading about Evie and Oskar. Both of them have difficulties they have to deal with, and I thought their journey was very well written. I especially liked how Oskar was portrayed; we need more diversity in YA fiction where the main characters deal with physical conditions or disabilities that readers can relate to.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with this ARC.

So, this book lost me in the beginning and in the end for a bit, but had me twirled around its little finger for most of the rest of it.

On paper this book has all the makings of a favourite: beautifully written, magical realism, an exotic location that's on my bucket list (Iceland), druidry and art.

And I did really enjoy most of it.

I think in the beginning I was a little bit put off by the overwrought language - it seemed as

• Behind Every Lie
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • If I Never Met You
  • Life Happens on the Stairs
  • A Sweet Mess
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • How to Build a Heart
  • Where the Lost Wander
  • The Younger Man
  • Asperfell
  • Intersect (Parallel Duet, #2)
  • The Love Scam
  • Parallel (Parallel Duet, #1)
  • You Were There Too
  • Tweet Cute
  • Always Greener
Jen Marie Hawkins is a nurse-turned-writer. She writes books for young adults and the young at heart. She is a creative writing coach for Author Accelerator, and her short works can be found in literary magazines including the Decameron Journal. Three of her novel-length manuscripts have been finalists for the YARWA Rosemary Award, the RWA Maggie Award, and the SWFRWA Joyce Henderson Award.