Start by marking “Not Famous” as Want to Read:
Not Famous

Not Famous

Nick bought a diamond symbol of forever, got down on one knee, and expected to welcome the New Year with his fiancée in his arms. Instead, his girlfriend’s bombshell confession left him humiliated, alone, and distrustful. Can meeting a shy barista named Alli make Nick’s heart open again? Although socially awkward and naïve, Alli has both secrets and dreams. Her ambition, d ...more
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about Not Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Famous

Start your review of Not Famous
Katherine (KWBookReviews.com)
Reviewed by Katherine Williams for Reedsy

Not Famous is a romantic comedy that young adults will have no trouble relating to. The protagonist of the novel, Nick, is someone you will want to get to know. His point of view is humorous and interesting. The way he feels uncertain of his life is the way every young adult feels at some point; he has a strong voice that I enjoyed getting to know as the novel progressed. My favorite part of this novel is the characters; each character is developed well a
Christopher Goldsmith
Jewel Hart
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not Famous by Matthew Hanover is a delightful, charming and humorous story that romance readers will thoroughly enjoy and be unable to put down. In this wonderful debut novel, we are introduced to Nick Forrester who has just proposed to his girlfriend, expecting a yes answer, and to have a happy marriage with her. However, it doesn’t go as he desired and he is left embarrassed and all alone. Then, fate steps in when he meets a young cute woman at his favorite coffee shop. Alli, is a barista and ...more
Jennifer Dege
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Engaging and fulfilling!

If this is how a man can write romance from the point of view of a man, then more men need to write romance. Not Famous is a sweet and utterly open exploration of relationships from what is usually a closed off and buried perspective - because social norms make "feelings" taboo for men. The background story of Alli isn't just fluff to make things interesting either. So many levels to this story, yet the author's style knits them together perfectly.

After a slow start, I wa
Marianne Michele Liesman
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One day!

I am an avid reader but I couldn't (and wouldn't) put this book down! It held my attention, engaged me with not only the story and characters but the writing itself. It flowed beautifully and I cared about the characters quickly! I was not expecting to read that this is the authors first book!!! I'm impressed and CANNOT wait for his next one...and the one after that...and on and on! Hurry up Matthew Hanover and give us another book!!!!!!!
Sharon M
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! The main characters were very well written and I felt invested in them after being only a few pages in. Found it refreshing to read about a boy/girl romance that wasn't stereotypical and the descriptions of the music/gig scene were personally very relatable. It was an easy, enjoyable read. Look forward to seeing what this Author does next!
Theodore Horstman
This book is fabulous! Light and buoyant it's the perfect book to escape from our dystopian reality . Great characters and wonderful plot with an well executed twist. This book kicks some serious ass! I can't wait for the next one.
Ailsa
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Didn't want to put it down
Nigel Cartner
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant, uplifting debut novel that harks back to the likes of Nick Hornby's, High Fidelity, combining life, love and music into one compelling story, reaffirming my belief that lad lit is a genre that deserves far more credit and coverage than it currently receives.

The story is solid with great characters. I loved the main character (Nick), and could relate to him so well, especially his inner monologue when wrestling with the many questions that arise in the face of uncertainty.

We'
Adam Shaw
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At the beginning of NOT FAMOUS, we meet Nick, a down-on-his-luck nice guy who's recently gone through a pretty ugly breakup. Nick's humiliated, damaged, and unsure of what to do next because of his last relationship, leaving him in sort of a rut. That is, until he meets Alli Conwell. The book goes through the ups and downs of Nick and Alli's relationship, including his struggle to overcome the scars of his last relationship and her struggle to share some major secrets from her past.

There's a lot
Ella James
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional must read book. 5 Stars
Michelle
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Famous is a great story of a guy who manages to find love in the crazy world of the Boston music scene. Nick and Alli are characters you get to know quickly and want to keep hanging out with, even after the story ends. Matthew throws in a twist that you don't expect and takes the story to another level of involvement. Here's hoping that is just the first of many books coming from this author. I know I'll be reading more.
Georgina Wyatt
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I absolutely hated this at the start, I couldn't relate to the characters and I found them quite frankly annoying, so much so I was ready to give up on the book but as its the authors debut novel and he's self-published. I wanted to give it a chance and the twist in the middle of the book changes everything! Finally you get struck by emotion and the challenges of dating. Great book. Take my advice skip the first 30 percent or persevere through the first 30 percent. It's worth it ...more
Sarah-Beth
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
The main character was a nauseating “nice guy” and the female romantic interest was just a trope of a quirky musician girl. Cute in parts but overall a bit grim.
Hobart
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
We meet Nick a couple of months after one of the most embarrassing experiences of his life -- a marriage proposal that goes awry. He's still reeling from that when he meets a very cute, and comparatively young, barista at his favorite Seattle-based Coffee chain shop. Alli's not just a barista, she's also a musician -- a solo act, just a girl with a guitar -- so Nick goes to one of her shows. He falls in love with her music right away, and
Ian Shane
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matthew Hanover delivers a pitch perfect story in his debut novel. It’s a funny and touching story about learning to love and trust again. This story is filled with compelling characters. Alli is an incredibly loveable person. While she is naive and inexperienced when it comes to dating, she seems to be teaching Nick and his friends what being in a loving relationship is really all about. The dynamic between Alli and Nick is often times awkward, which lends itself to some of the more endearing m ...more
Danny Farham
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe this is a first novel. From the very first page, the author managed to grip me and make me want to read more.

The story starts with Nick, proposing to his then girlfriend, Lauren. This goes horribly wrong and breaks his heart.
Told first person, I really felt like I knew Nick's pain and really wanted things to go well for him.

When he meets the beatiful but naive Alli, he decides to take a brave step and ask her out...

What follows is a heartfelt and honest story of love and new rel
Lauren Tigerman
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

This was great. I was really rooting for Alli and Nick. Being from New England, I especially enjoyed the Boston flavor that this entire book was drenched in. If you love music, Boston, love stories or any of the above, give this book a read.
David Fox
Aug 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow this was recommended because it was "similar" to Jonathan Tropper and Matthew Norman. It wasn't.
Ian Shane
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Snow
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My book of the year so far

This book is described as being suitable for fans of Nick Hornby and Mike Gayle, as a fan of these two gentlemen for two decades I am pretty well qualified to assess if this is accurate.

This book is easily as good as either author, it is probably the best debut I have read in years. The music scene is not just a series of gigs but something that is a huge part of everyone's life, the characters are (mostly) very likeable (with the exception of the ones that are not mean
Phil Altimas
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When nick proposed to his girlfriend, she told him something that rocked his world. Fast forward and his is sharing his flat with a sex addict and he is single. Then she meets a girl in the coffee shop he uses, he falls for and tries to ask her out
He then finds out she is a musician and goes to see her play. They fall in love but this is not going to be an easy relationship. She had weird ideas about relationship and there is a guy that is always around that maybe a threat to their relationship
I
Andy Bird
Good. I liked this. It’s not a classic, but it is a fun read. I liked the story, even if it’s not overly taxing, it flows well and keeps you interested until the end. The characters are good, they are well written and believable. It is not the best book ever written but it is a quick ok read. Although not one I would specifically recommend.
Sean Graham
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a hard time giving most books a 5 Star. To me, that is reserved for the classics, but this is a fun and entertaining light read in the style of Nick Hornby. I don't consider myself "well read" but I have never read something that so accurate describes the highs, lows and insecurity of dating.
Wesley Parker
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story with characters that truly make you feel. Dialogue is quick and witty with each character holding their own. Simple premise but the characters are fleshed out which makes the book hard to put down. He doesn’t overwrite, and trusts you as the reader to connect and come to your own conclusions. Definitely looking forward to what this writer comes out with next.
Alistair Dobbie
It’s a good story that was enjoyable to read, I felt it was probably around 100 pages too long though, halfway through it got a bit dull but picked up towards the end. Nick Hornby like in its style and story.
Ainsley
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An unimaginative storyline padded out with tedious prose. The characters were uninspiring and the entire 'plot' lacked any pace. Sorry, but I can't help but think that this book is very aptly titled!
Jill Koval
May 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Interesting angle, basic writing style

It could have been more but felt remedial in terms of reminding the reader of things we just read, describing his feelings and emotions - lacked depth...
julie
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
really funny and a very good storyline that keeps you hooked all the way through the book.
Frank Herbert
Jul 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you like your tea weak and sweet, this book might be for you. You also might be a 13 year old girl. Comparing this to Nick Hornby and Jonathan Tropper should be a crime.
Book FAQ and more! 1 7 Nov 14, 2018 08:05AM

• Postgraduate
  • Who Needs Love, Anyway?
  • Need a Little Time
  • The Twin Flame Game
  • Mix Tape
  • The Day She Came Back
  • Plan B
  • Love Is The Goal (Soul Love #1)
  • The Spinning Heart
  • The Babysitter
Matthew Hanover has been reading books all his life and is now writing his own. He hopes to one day be able to quit his day job and write full time. His second novel will be published in February 2020.

Read more at his blog at MatthewHanover.com or follow him on Twitter @MatthewHanover.

News & Interviews