Start by marking “Steel Crow Saga” as Want to Read:
Steel Crow Saga

Steel Crow Saga

(Steel Crow Saga #1)

Four destinies collide in a unique fantasy world of war and wonders, where empire is won with enchanted steel and magical animal companions fight alongside their masters in battle.

A soldier with a curse
Tala lost her family to the empress’s army and has spent her life avenging them in battle. But the empress’s crimes don’t haunt her half as much as the crimes Tala has
Published September 24th 2019 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about Steel Crow Saga, please sign up.
Kara Jorgensen There are multiple romances in the story as there are multiple main characters. The main two romances currently are f/f and m/f.
Haruko reads The author stated on twitter that this is a standalone.…moreThe author stated on twitter that this is a standalone. (less)

Start your review of Steel Crow Saga
Petrik
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anime/Asian-inspired fantasy
ARC provided by the publisher—Gollancz—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Multi-cultural, diverse characters & superbly character-driven narrative; Steel Crow Saga is a brilliant Asian/anime-inspired fantasy.

As an Asian who loves watching anime and reading mangas and SFF novels, Steel Crow Saga is a novel that felt as if it was written for me. Steel Crow Saga has been published for more than a month now, and I feel like I’ve sinned—Sloth—for postponing reading this book. Full Metal
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This effing book broke me in half and made me soar!!

Just when I’m down about reading, I find a freaking gem! This book is like nothing I have ever read before and it gave me all of the feels!!

I love every single one of these characters immensely!

What reeled me in from the summary was the animal stuff. I mean those who know me could have figured that one out! But there is so much more to this story and it ripped my heart out.

The book is about family, war, vengeance, bonding with animals and
jessica
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pierce brown tweeted about this book, and his word is law as far as i am concerned, so i went and tracked down a copy as fast as i could. and you should, too!

many reviews are saying this story is pokemon meets avatar: the last airbender. and as i read this, i could sort of see where they got that idea, but i dont think really think the similarities are strong enough to pitch this story as such. this is wildly imaginative in its own right and hard to compare to anything else. its unique and quite
Umairah | Sereadipity
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5

Steel Crow Saga was an Asian-inspired standalone fantasy (also influenced by anime) with intricate world building and a well developed cast of characters that captured my heart. It was truly an unforgettable and worthwhile read.

Many fantasy novels focus on the events leading up to and during a great war but this book was all about the aftermath of a war. The countries Sanbuna, Shang and Dahal had revolted against the colonising power of Tomoda but there was
Zainab
ARC provided by netgalley

Okay it's not bad but it's gotten extremely boring and I can't read any further. The starts great and all and I'm sure loads of you will enjoy it.
Maybe I'd try it some other time.
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
If my people run from the horror of what we’ve done, in time we would forget. And if we forget, we might one day do it again. Your peoples do not have the luxury of forgetting how you’ve suffered.

On my blog.

Rep: Asian inspired characters and settings (China, Japan, and I think India, Philippines & Korea maybe), female and male bi mcs, lesbian mc, gay side character (fairly major), mlm trans side character (fairly major)

Galley provided by publisher

This is probably the best book I have
Alexa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
ARC received from the publisher via Netgalley | Buddy read with my friend Melanie!

I had high hopes for Steel Crow Saga, considering the things I’d heard about it prior to picking it up, and I’m happy to be able to say that I really enjoyed it! This novel takes on the task of narrating the stories of four different individuals: a princess determined to earn her place as heir to the throne, a thief given a second chance, an exiled prince returning to claim his place on the throne, and a military
☾ h a d e e r ☽
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hats off to what is one of the best books I've read all year. Let me tell you: I've been in a really weird slump where I'm reading things and kind of enjoying them but not really loving anything, and then came along this book. Not to be dramatic, but it literally reminded me why I love reading. There are some books you can sink into with such relish that you forget you're reading, and you're just along for the ride. Steel Crow Saga is that book.

plot & pacing

I was hooked from the very
TheBookSmugglers
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ONE MILLION STARS

This book is so good, I am just sitting here quietly crying because it is over and I don't have more pages with these characters. THESE LOVABLE FOOLS.
Sahitya
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid 4.5 in my opinion but slightly fell short of a 5.

I don’t think I even knew about this book until about a month ago. I think stumbled upon it by accident in someone’s blogpost about upcoming Asian inspired fantasy releases, and I was immediately fascinated. And while it took me a bit to immerse myself in it, I am so glad to have discovered this book and gotten hold of the ARC.

The world building is one aspect that impressed me a lot. As the author is Filipino-American, I was expecting some
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
This sounds like an Asian Six of Crows and even though I haven’t read Six of Crows(put your pitchforks away) this books sounds like it will be amazing.
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, net-galley
I have to say- I was a little disappointed with this. I’ll be up front and say that the premise: Pokemon meets Airbender, is in no way my thing- so your mileage may vary. In my defense I didn’t see it marketed that way until well after I started reading it, but the comparison is legitimate enough, and the Pokemon part was a lot of fun.

However I couldn’t shake the feeling that the motivations for these characters and their countries didn’t always make sense. When the book starts we are with
;3
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Amber
The first major takeaway I have about Steel Crow Saga is that it’s unnecessarily long.

To steal a phrasing from one of the characters, it was a long walk to a very anime battle scene.

The way this book is written falls into very detailed descriptions. There’s not a lot of room for the reader’s imagination in way characters think, feel, or how the world works. Steel Crow Saga is written from four perspectives and by the time you reach the end of the book, you know pretty well how each of them
Clephiro
Not the book I planned on reading at all, but one I'm super happy I did.

Steel Crow Saga definitely drew it's inspiration from Avatar: The Last Airbender. If not, then they definitely drew from similar sources, because as much as the material in Steel Crow Saga is darker, it still seems very reminiscent of Avatar.

I loved the characters, loved the setting, loved the book. I think that maybe there could have been some pacing adjustments near the end, just because I would have liked some more detail
Beth
Meh, I struggled with this one. Another reviewer said it perfectly, beautiful written but it just went on and on. I found 1 page that caught my attention in about every 20 pages. Can you have too much, yup it was just way too much unnecessary stuff for me.

I received Steel Crow Saga from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine - Del Rey. This is my honest and voluntary review. < b>Steel Crow Saga is set for publication September 24, 2019.
Shealea
Hello, this book made me cry a total of three times and I have yet to recover. But know that this is a new favorite of mine, and it has earned a special place in my fragile reader heart. Full review to follow.
Emily
May 19, 2019 added it
anime as fuck
Liz
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
Well, this was mind-blowingly good 500+ pages of extraordinary characters, non-stop action and intrigue. These are the kind of books readers want to crack open – filled with rich cultures, a bit of (supposedly) anime-like magic, with a good helping of political history and intrigue to keep the conflict interesting! I am not a fan of anime myself but many reviews mention anime so I will take their word on it… The whole experience, indeed, felt rather enchanted!

It’s the nature of life to gift us
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: Asian-coded characters and settings (China, Japan, Philippines, Korea & India), two bi mcs (female and male), lesbian mc, gay side character (major), mlm trans side character (major)

u know im gonna love a fantasy book if there's no homophobia in the world

main point tho, nice commentary on colonialism & occupation u have there
Andrew
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mix of pokemon and historical fiction

Absolutely loved this. Recommend it to anyone with a fondness for Pokemon, metalbending, and fantasy analogues to Asian cultures. There's a solid mix of politics, action, and comedy in here, as well as a couple solid twists.
Adah Udechukwu
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Steel Crow Saga is interesting. I like how all the awesome is compressed into a single novel. I am glad the novel is not a series. I love the novel how it is.
Acqua
Sep 19, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
“Pokémon, but make it ugly”
this book, probably

DNF. The reason pretty much boils down to "life is too short to read boring books" and the fact that I just spent the first half of September reading a book I found boring hoping that it would get better, and it did not, so I'm not doing this again. Most of my feelings about this book were puzzlement about its choices in aesthetics and character design, so this didn't bode well anyway.
I am shallow, but I usually have something to say about the
amy ☂︎
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
“This band of rogues and royals should all be enemies, but they unite for a common purpose: to defeat an unstoppable killer who defies the laws of magic.”

only one question: why the FUCK am i not holding this book in my hands right now
Hiu Gregg
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You want action? This book has that. You want magical animal companions? This book has that. You want colourful characters that compliment and clash against each other? You guessed it, this book has that.

Much has been made about just how “anime” Steel Crow Saga is, and honestly, I can’t really dispute that claim. I’m not much of an anime fan myself (beyond enjoying Fullmetal Alchemist) but I am a fan of how Paul Krueger manages to pull from those influences to create an engaging and exciting
Silvia
WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE

I'll be back with Thoughts but in the meantime please trust me and read it

(Okay I'll say this: f/f relationship!! queer m/f relationship!! ownvoices Asian inspired fantasy!!! pokemon-like battles!!!)

Pokémon + Avatar the Last Airbender + queer?? Hell yeah
Katherine Locke
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a beta reader and I am OBSESSED. It is so, so good. This fresh inventive world full of complex, fully realized characters. It made me laugh, it broke my heart, it mended it back together again. I can't wait for you all to get your hands on this.
Travis
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steel Crow Saga is a terrific book that balances plot driven and character driven elements really really well. Also the Steel Crow Saga is literally a book that speaks to my inner soul. It is stocked with all my favorite tropes and elements that I love from a high fantasy story. I also really enjoy that even though there are hints of this being a series that Steel Crow Saga is in fact a self contained story. It does a wonderful job wrapping up the plot and all the characters have a clear and ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
An interesting start...

There are some who will absolutely love this fantasy. Sadly, I am not one of them. And while I appreciate the tribute to the multitudes of Asian culture, something felt missing to me.

*Full review to come*
Maddie
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steel Crow Saga -4/5 Stars
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

Steel Crow Saga is a gorgeous novel that follows a cast of five incredibly well-developed characters living inside a politically chaotic fantasy world. That was a lot of words in one sentence.

Basically, this book was everything I love. It was so character-driven, providing amazing development, riveting backstory, and great banter. It also focused heavily on politics and the various,

• Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
Paul Krueger is a fantasy author and lapsed Chicagoan currently living in Los Angeles. His bartending-and-magic debut novel, LAST CALL AT THE NIGHTSHADE LOUNGE, was published by Quirk Books in June of 2016. His next, STEEL CROW SAGA, is forthcoming in fall of 2019 from Del Rey Books.

His non-writing hobbies include cooking, D&D, karaoke, and collecting comics. He's also a musician, fronting the
“My firing instructor always said someone with good aim can kill. Someone with great aim doesn't have to.” 1 likes
“When a person dies from a gunshot, you don't blame the bullet. You blame the shooter.” 1 likes