Start by marking “The Future of Another Timeline” as Want to Read:
The Future of Another Timeline

The Future of Another Timeline

From Annalee Newitz, founding editor of io9, comes a story of time travel, murder, and the lengths we'll go to protect the ones we love.

1992: After a confrontation at a riot grrl concert, seventeen-year-old Beth finds herself in a car with her friend's abusive boyfriend dead in the backseat, agreeing to help her friends hide the body. This murder sets Beth and her friends
Published September 24th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Another Timeline, please sign up.
Chris S. It is throughout the book (though maybe not as thick), and it's not really used other than to narrate. I found it clearer than other audiobooks I read…moreIt is throughout the book (though maybe not as thick), and it's not really used other than to narrate. I found it clearer than other audiobooks I read, especially when driving.

There is a fully arranged song used at one point (not at others when the same song is sung, though) that enhances the story a little IMO, but it's not at all necessary to enjoy it.

Newitz themself also reads the end matter, including a helpful note on what's real and fictional.(less)
Libertie The advance reader copy I have is 350 pages, but the hardcover is supposed to be 270. The story features characters who love science, but the novel it…moreThe advance reader copy I have is 350 pages, but the hardcover is supposed to be 270. The story features characters who love science, but the novel itself addresses physics and geology only superficially. Considerably more time is spent exploring philosophical questions, including theories of social change. Check out my review for more about why I loved this book!(less)

Start your review of The Future of Another Timeline
Silvana
4.5 stars rounded up. This might go straight to my Hugo ballot. Super fun.

I held back from writing a review because I wanted to write something smart, explaining the time travel aspect of this book, how AnnaLee weaved all those elements of feminist movements, historical personage, and so on. I mean, this book deserves it. Yet my brain has entered a vacay mode, so I'll just write what I felt when reading it.

It felt great. Exhilarating, even. The pacing was good and the POV transition was seamles
Bradley
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi
I would give this novel five stars for just the cool research put into this time-travel novel, but fortunately, there's a lot more going on here than just clever interpretations of history. Or rather, alternate histories mixed in among branches of a time war.

Ah, but who are the combatants? Is the whole novel about altering history so some faction or another comes out on top? Or is it an intensely personal journey with a lot of emotional punch behind it?

Why can't it be both? And it is.

Of course,
Gabi
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You are one. We are many. You can not make us feel your shame.
(I don't know if this even works out of context, but the moment was so powerful, it stuck in my head)

My first 5-stars of the new year!

I wanted to be a bit more stinted with 5-star ratings, cause I couldn't compile a best-books-of-the-year list last year due to so many books that fascinated me. But even though there were elements here that irked me (the rather casual take on murder and so many people smoking), I had so many moments whe
Jessica Woodbury
This is a feminist punk queer time travel novel, which will probably be enough to sell it for many readers. A group of time traveling cis and trans women and nonbinary folks suspect a competing set of cis male time travelers are trying to create a version of history where women are never allowed to vote. Tess, our protagonist, is determined not only to stop them but to make a world with strong reproductive rights. But she gets a little sidetracked when she decides to try to change part of her ow ...more
Allison Hurd
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't remember the last time I was this ambivalent about a book. It was really good! It was horrific. I'm so glad I read it! I can't believe I made it through. Delightfully hopeful! Harrowing like Handmaid's Tale but on a much bigger scale. In the end it made me feel and had me invested, so I guess that's great but for the love of sanity only read it if you have fluffy things nearby, be they pets, or popcorn books.

CONTENT WARNING: (just a list of topics, but I'll issue a general warning for mo
Claire
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a message and it's not subtle about it. The time travel technique is interesting. There are rocks across the world that you can use to time travel and mankind has always known. However, this isn't explored as much because the author has a message about men vs women. Characterization feels like there is a woke bingo that is being used instead of creating a fully realized character. The main character, Tess, any understanding I had of her was gone once a twist was revealed. This twis ...more
Blaine
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, from-library

The Future of Another Timeline is set in a world in which humanity discovered five machines of unknown origin around the world that allow people to travel backwards through time (they can return to their present, but they cannot travel forward). The rules and methods of the time travel are involved, well thought out, and original.

The novel is told mostly though alternating first-person narratives, and it has a
K
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FULL DISCLOSURE: I beta read for this book at the end of 2018 to offer some insights into the musical material that forms a key part of the plot.

I initially beta read this novel to lend my expertise as a popular music historian and, yet, I found myself completely caught up in the narrative structure and overall message of this novel – that we ultimately have the power to change our timeline. I don't usually enjoy time travel stories, but I am huge fan of alternate histories. This one worked for
Debbie Notkin
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
There is so much to like about this book! In fact, how much to there is to like about this book is why, in the end, I wasn't happy with it. Let me explain:

1) This is a book about a 1992 teenager with a troubled family and a group of close girlfriends who take rape and sexual harassment punishment into their own hands.
2) This is a book about a group of time-traveling women from 2022 who are editing the timeline to erase the effects of anti-sex misogynist Anthony Comstock from their future.
3) This
Justine
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This story follows two characters, teenage Beth in 1992 California, and time travelling Tess based in 2022. The chapters alternate between the two characters, and as expected, their connection is eventually revealed.

When I started this one I had some moments of "WTF am I reading?" The early chapters following Beth are angry and violent, and I wasn't sure where it was all going. Eventually though, Beth's story ended up being the most engaging of the two.

Tess's story is less linear in its developm
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Tess is a member of the Daughters of Harriet, a group of time travelers who frequently revisit the past to protect women's rights for the future.

She finds herself back in 1992 at a riot grrrl concert she actually attended as a seventeen-year-old, which sets in motion a complicated chain of events.  First, she decides to try and edit a personal event that was a major turning point in her life. Second, she must travel further back in time to stop another group of time travelers known as Comstocker
Jodi
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Future of Another Timeline begins with three quotes. One is attributed to Senator Harriet Tubman, R-MS, in 1893. If your immediate reaction is to understand why this is inaccurate, but sincerely wish that Harriet Tubman had attained the rank of Senator, this novel is for you.

Annalee Newitz combines feminism, punk rock, time travel, history, alternative history, and the small and large ways that a human being can affect others' lives into a heady yet accessible brew. While other women and no
Elle (ellexamines)
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as tbz
this sounds INCREDIBLE.
Robin Bonne
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
“What I Like to See," by Grape Ape 🎶

I bumped this book up to the top of my reading list after I stumbled upon the Grape Ape music video that the author and their friend created. Smart choice on my part because I loved it.

This book had many of my favorite elements; time travel, alternate historical timelines, LGBTQ+ and women’s rights, and a storyline about facing childhood trauma. If you enjoy feminist speculative fiction, this book should be on your reading list. It
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
oh hell yes to this whole thing. Come my friends and let's go time traveling to stop people from making edits to the timeline as they try to destroy women's rights. If this ain't the most diverse and inclusive feminist novel I have ever read...this ain't no white feminist b/s. It's actually feminist! They specify multiple times in this book that the changes are to be done to protect cis women, trans women and non-binary!

We alternate between two POVs (Tessa originally from 2022 + Beth originally
FanFiAddict
Another week, another DNF.

Based on other reviews, there is a definite audience for this novel, but I am not included.
While I enjoyed Newitz's time travel component, nothing else really grabbed me in order to direct me to the finish line.
Ashley
I started this book first thing on New Year's Day, made it about thirty pages in, and then didn't pick it up again until Sunday morning on the 5th. I don't know if it was feeling too heavy or what, but I needed to be in the right headspace for it. (It was probably the men's right's activists that did it, followed closely by a disturbing murder.) Then I basically binge-read the whole book yesterday morning.

To sum the book up badly (and I will do better further below), The Future of Another Timeli
Andrea
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I received an advance ebook through NetGalley.

Punk rock, feminism, LQBTQ+ rights, time travel. A stellar combination in theory, but the execution really disappointed me.

The Future of Another Timeline tells the story of Tess and Beth in mostly alternating chapters. Tess is a time traveler from the near future desperately trying to counter a misogynistic cult that wants to destroy women's autonomy. Beth is a teen in the early 90s California punk scene navigating unhealthy relationships with friend
Emily Vanderwerff
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was WILD about this book. The only thing I can really critique is that the last couple of pages are a bit jarring and out of nowhere tonally. But then the very last historical footnote is a gut punch, so hey, I came right back around. I suspect I will be alone in preferring the mostly time travel-less Beth storyline to the time travel-full Tess storyline, but it's so well observed and so intuitive about teen girl relationships. Please read this one.
Oleksandr Zholud
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: hn-2020-longlist
This is part time-travel, part alt-history part (angry) feminist novel. It was published in 2019 and can be nominated for Nebula, Hugo and other SFF Awards. I read is as a part of monthly reading in January 2020 at SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases group.

The beginning of the book wasn’t very encouraging (spoiler of the first 3% of the story, just to tease or discourage you, the reader!). There is Tess, travelling for year 2022 to 1992 to Irvine, Alta California to visit a concert of girl punk
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
3.5

Our pasts, presents and futures are connected.

In a world where time-traveling Machines have always existed, two timelines are competing for dominance. In 2022, Tess and the Daughters of Harriet have been trying to correct the timeline against a secret society of misogynistic assholes determined to erode women and trans rights. In 1992, Beth and her friends are pulled into the world of riot grrls and murder in an ever escalating path. Slowly the two times begin to intersect and flow.

This was a
Kristin B. Bodreau
This was an excellent story about feminism, community action, revolutions through small acts and human rights. The characters were interesting, though a little one note. The main cast had superficial differences, but at the core were the same archetype. The “villains” were also a bit of caricature. However, it’s a great opener for discussion and thought on the evolution of women’s rights, how small acts create a ripple, female friendship and the importance of reproductive freedom.

What is also wa
Alex Bright
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

"Queens are not supposed to have hands. They get in the way of breeding."

I waffled between 3.5 and 4 stars, but ultimately chose to give Annalee Newitz's feminist speculative time-travel romp a 4 because I felt propelled through her story at an urgent pace. It was fun, thoughful, and even painful at times. The two main characters are the teenage Beth (in 1992/93) and 40-something Tess whose "home" time is 2022. Beth experiences life as a youth in a world where edits to the timeline have c
Stephen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Peter
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a world where time machines have always existed as part of human history, used by researchers, there are always some who covertly edit the timeline. Big events can't really be altered, but small ones can, and enough small ones can add up to a huge change. Tess is currently involved in a secret edit war against a group of men who want history to continually subjugate women, and worse, they want to destroy time travel so the change persists forever... and also wants to make some changes in her ...more
Elowen
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unapologetic feminist time-travel story with surprising twists and turns.
As usual with books I love it's hard to analyse what I loved about it exactly. The characters, definitely, both the main and the secondary. The snippets of unusual history, the use of unusual historical backdrops, and the sharp observations about the mechanics of history, politics and resistance.
This book is by no means a light read. It is violent and dark, but also optimistic. I loved the idea of the "Great Man" theor
Liz Barnsley
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow.
Pujashree
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is so much fun and surprisingly uplifting in the current climate. The love of research and researchers is at the very heart of this story, and badass scholar spies fighting toxic patriarchy across timelines is so cleverly executed. I learned so much about some pretty obscure rebel girls of history and not once does it feel infodumpy. I really want this to become a movie so I could watch the excellent coalition of ladies through various time periods being delightfully disruptive.
Lata
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A timey-wimey tale as a geoscientist makes her way up and down through time in this alternate world where time travel exists. Her intent, along with many other women in different time periods all working together, is to restore women’s legal right to abortion (and bodily autonomy). They are attempting to locate a particular instance in history where forces began decisively turning against women. (Not that societies have ever been supportive of women for many centuries.) There is also a men’s gro ...more
Emma
I quite enjoyed this ambitious time travel story with a feminist bent, but you do have to accept a lot of ... clutter maybe? in it. The characters are pretty flat too - I reckon you could strip out about two thirds of the plot and have a great book. Even so, it has great energy and lots of great ideas. She’s a super-inventive writer, would read again.
Leander Readers: First Impressions - May 2 13 Apr 10, 2020 09:14AM

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The City in the Middle of the Night
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Catfishing on CatNet (CatNet #1)
  • Finna
  • Magic for Liars
  • Riot Baby
  • Ghoster
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Agency (The Peripheral #2)
  • Mary Toft; or, The Rabbit Queen
Annalee Newitz is an American journalist who covers the cultural impact of science and technology. They received a PhD in English and American Studies from UC Berkeley, and in 1997 published the widely cited book, White Trash: Race and Class in America. From 2004–2005 they were a policy analyst for the Electronic Frontier Foundation. They write for many periodicals from 'Popular Science' to 'Wired ...more

Articles featuring this book

“That’s when I decided the point of travel was not to observe history, but to change it.” 3 likes
“But as I’d told Anita before, my pain didn’t seem to come from holding those two histories in my mind. It was from holding two sets of feelings. The Tess whose best friend committed suicide knew who she was. She had a purpose. The Tess whose best friend lived felt … ambivalent about herself. Not all the time. She was happy, but always also sad about something. She’d built a new identity around an almost unbearable ambiguity, and the gradual realization that she would never be perfectly good or principled. This Tess would always know she had done bad things, and suffered the consequences. That was the awful new feeling scraping the inside of my skull: my best friend, whom I loved more than anyone at the time, had rejected me personally rather than rejecting life itself.” 0 likes