Start by marking “The History of Rock & Roll Volume II: 1964–1977: The Beatles, the Stones, and the Rise of Classic Rock” as Want to Read:

From rock and roll historian Ed Ward comes a comprehensive, authoritative, and enthralling cultural history of one of rock's most exciting eras.

It's February 1964 and The Beatles just landed in New York City, where the NYPD, swarms of fans, and a crowd of two hundred journalists await their first American press conference. It begins with the question on everyone's mind:
Published November 19th 2019 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The History of Rock & Roll Volume II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Rock & Roll Volume II

Start your review of The History of Rock & Roll Volume II: 1964–1977: The Beatles, the Stones, and the Rise of Classic Rock
Kerry Pickens
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Ed Ward never ceases to amaze me how much he knows about music history. I read his Rock of Ages, and I still learned more about classic rock from this book. I hope to keep reading his books until he stops publishing them because it brings back a lot of memories.
Tim Niland
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ward's history of rock 'n' roll is an admirably inclusive one, albeit a American-centric high altitude flyover where even the name checked Beatles and Stones aren't the center of attention. He writes in an engaging manner, with a breezy tone that keeps the pages turning, beginning with the trade magazines getting rumors of four mop-topped musicians from Liverpool who were coming to America. But there was already a home made revolution on the rise, with the Tamla-Motown singles coming to dominate ...more
Sasha
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
If you have ever wanted a history of some of the greatest bands, singers, songwriters, producers, and songs that comprise the classic rock genre, look no further. The History of Rock & Roll is extremely comprehensive for the amount of pages that make it up, and obviously well researched. I enjoyed learning some rather neat little facts about bands and singers I did not know. Sometimes it could feel like an information overload, and I had to take a break, but I enjoyed it none the less.

If
Annarella
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, history, edelweiss
It's well written, entertaning and informative. I learned a lot about rock history and I look forward to reading the next book.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Doris Raines
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
THESE GUYS ROCK ED AND ROLLED. IN THE DAY.
Tasha Doughman
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, owned
The amount of knowledge that has been trapped in this book is overwhelming in a great way. When I received this ARC— thank you to ALL the publishers and especially Ed War —I did not think there could be this much information to talk about when it came to Rock and Roll. If you love R&R and love nonfiction reads, this one is for you!
ryan d wart
Nov 22, 2019
Jay Clement
Nov 23, 2019

• The Yellow Bird Sings
  • A Field Guide to the Jewish People: Who They Are, Where They Come From, What to Feed Them, What They Have Against Foreskins, How Come They Carry Each Other ... Water, and Much More. Maybe Too Much More
  • Turning Grace (The Turning, #1)
  • Modern Love: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
  • Harry Potter: A History of Magic
  • Yellow Bird: Oil, Murder, and a Woman's Search for Justice in Indian Country
  • Thwarted Queen: The Entire Saga, in Four Parts, about the Yorks, Lancasters, and Nevilles, Whose Family Feud Started the Wars of the Roses.
  • And I Do Not Forgive You: Stories and Other Revenges
  • Red Diamond: The True Story of Cold War Berlin’s Most Audacious Espionage Operation
  • Still in the Game: Finding the Faith to Tackle Life’s Biggest Challenges