Start by marking “Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal” as Want to Read:
Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal

Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal

The long-hidden diary of a young Polish woman's last days during the Holocaust, translated for the first time into English, with a foreword from American Holocaust historian Deborah Lipstadt.

Renia Spiegel was a young girl from an upper-middle class Jewish family living on an estate in Stawki, Poland, near what was at that time the border with Romania. In the summer of 1939
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Renia's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renia's Diary

Erin
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Well, I have been sitting on my review and rating for this book all weekend. Often my fellow reviewers of Holocaust non fiction have commented how difficult it is to rate a person's life story. In reading Renia's Diary:A Holocaust Diary I do find myself struggling to articulate my feelings on this diary.

Renia Spiegel's story is important and relevant and her sister's determination to share her dia
Katie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to review for a lot of reasons but I want to start by getting it out of the way that ~90% of Renia Spiegel’s nearly 700 page diary is about her infatuation with Zygmunt Schwarzer (Zygus). Yes, she’s a teenage girl and this should be expected but I think that all the news articles and marketing comparing this to Anne Frank’s diary is so misleading.

Anne’s diary is unbelievably comprehensive. She is incredibly observant of those around her, what they’re doing, complaining a
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rachel F
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Renia’s Diary, a true diary written by a young Jewish teen that lived in Poland, is a true diary of her own words. The beginning and followup pages to delve into more information, is written by her sister who’s name is now Elizabeth.

This, like all other Holocaust memoirs whether survivor or victim, is a remarkable and touching tribute to a woman taken too early.
This document is touching, heart-wrenching, and absolutely needed to keep these wonderful souls known to our generation and for the ge
Michele
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sorry to say I didn’t really enjoy this book. It is more of a young adult love story of a girl’s diary. There really wasn’t anything about the the war until 3/4 of the way through and it really didn’t touch on it that much. I enjoyed the information that was written after the diary ended but that is about it. I don’t think I would recommend this book. Thank you netgalley for letting me give an honest review of this book.
Niklas Pivic
This book is the edited version of Renia Spiegel‘s diary that spans nearly 700 pages and nearly four years in 1939-1942.

Sergey Yarov wrote brilliantly about morality in the siege of Leningrad during World War II. He read a lot of previously redacted diaries that belonged to people who were part of the siege. Those diaries told a clear tale of how things changed gradually, and how what was once considered extreme behaviours were normalised, from making potato-skin soup to pilfering corpses for fo
Michaela
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
---Full disclosure: I received this book for free from Goodreads. ---

I'm not sure how to review this. It's a personal diary of a teenage girl in a horrible war she doesn't understand. There is a lot of the normal teenage stuff, like tiffs w/ friends, school, hanging out, & of course, love interests. One must know they are going to be reading that type of thing, even if it is happening amidst such unpredictable changes in the world at large. That very thing however, the teenage stuff, is p

Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
~~An advanced copy of this book was provided by St. Martin's Press and Goodreads with no promise of a review~~

I believe my review will reiterate the feelings of most of the people who have had the pleasure of reading this book. Renia Spiegel‘s diary takes place over four years in 1939-1942 - which makes it extremely difficult to review. This is someone's immediate recollection of their own life events. I find it to be unnecessary to try to analyze this book from a pure writing perspective.

Reni
Kee Hoo
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, borrowed
Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal by Renia Spiegel; With Her Sister, Elizabeth Bellak and With Writer Sarah Durand

Renia started a diary for herself, in Poland, so she would have a nonjudgmental friend who could console her when she was down January 31, 1939.

Renia shares her hopes and dreams, poetry and songs-some that she made up and others that spoke to her. She hangs out with her friends. She misses her sister-who is a start and is gone a lot. She misses her mama-who lives in a different part
Joshua
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Renia's Diary

Had a lot of interesting stuff in it. I didn't care for the poems and songs, but that was just a part of who Renia was.

I'm glad her sister has had the journal printed, so Renia can give a SHOUT OUT to the world!
Gail O'Connor
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
A story must grab me immediately and this book did not. It's a shame because I was looking forward to reading it
Kirsten
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
review to come ...
Erika Kraus
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in the giveaway! I am very fascinated by WWII and very much enjoyed Renia's Diary.
Niklas Pivic