Start by marking “Schooled: A Love Letter to the Exhausting, Infuriating, Occasionally Excruciating Yet Somehow Completely Wonderful Profession of Teaching” as Want to Read:

In this snarky essay collection, former high school English instructor and author Stephanie Jankowski reveals everything your education degree doesn’t prepare you for about being a teacher. New and experienced educators alike will laugh and commiserate with Jankowski's blunt, no-holds-barred commentary, which covers topics such nailing down that first teaching position (“ ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by Page Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Schooled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schooled

Start your review of Schooled: A Love Letter to the Exhausting, Infuriating, Occasionally Excruciating Yet Somehow Completely Wonderful Profession of Teaching
Stephanie Jankowski
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it and I'm proud of it...does that count as a review? :-)
Glen
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, firstreads
A former teacher pens essays about teaching. It's vaguely humorous, but you might have to be a teacher to really get it. It's a bit of a pity party. Teaching is a tough job, and our education system makes it even tougher.
Cheeseboy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Schooled" combines the harsh realities of teaching with a comedic flavor. Teachers will immediately bond and relate to this material. As a former teacher and current administrator, I laughed with glee at the perceptible and relatable experiences. I loved every page and may have each of my teachers read the book over the summer.
Jan Hoculock
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read, written by an extremely talented writer! Perfectly describes the highs and lows of teaching.
Carrie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book is described as a collection of essays about teaching, but I think the title itself is more accurate; it's a love letter. But it's not a love letter written by someone completely infatuated with someone new, full of stars in their eyes and overlooking the person's faults. It's a love letter to a spouse. I love and cherish my husband, and I have plenty of romantic feelings for him that I'm willing to gush about; however, he also leaves his socks balled up in the laundry basket (if they ...more
Angie Hummel
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I seriously devoured this book ! It is a rare occurrence for me to literally laugh out loud while reading a book, and Stephanie was able to do that multiple times through this book. I am not a teacher, but i still found so much humor in her stories and how they were told. Her true personality really came out in this book and I loved every page of it. Not only was it hilarious, but she shared many of her inspiring improvements and changes she has made in the best interest of our children. ...more
Tricia
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book all educators can relate to with a combination of funny stories from the front lines of public education to helpful tips for keeping your sanity as a teacher. Steph's witty personality and love for her career and students come through in every word. Teachers will feel a sense of solidarity while reading, but parents of students could learn A TON about themselves (and hopefully learn how to not be total jerks to their kids' teachers).
Elizabeth Hubler
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read for those who work in the school setting, who want to work in schools, or who are interested in what it’s really like being a teacher. Stephanie artfully writes laugh out loud essays about being a teacher. But, they aren’t just funny, they teach us to be better teachers, parents, etc. to look beyond what we have always done.
Krista Williamson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you ever wondered what it might be like in today’s classroom, Stephanie flung the door wide open and let you in. Her humor is unlike any other and her ability to transport you into a high school classroom is insane. First book that I have actually finished in 7 years (because of kids ). ...more
Emilie Weasley
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Fun and funny and well written...

Also, Stephanie wrote this book thinking it would only be teachers who would read this book. Well I'm a student. I read this book to know if I wanted to become a teacher... It helped a bit to know the behind the scenes stuff, so thank you!!

Jewel Nunez One Funny Mummy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book! Jankowski is delightfully funny and tells it like it is in the exhausting but wonderful world of teaching. Full of hilarious teacher truths and helpful tips at the beginning of each chapter, Schooled is a must-read if you want to know what being an educator is really like!
Alyssa Griggs
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are a teacher, this book is for you! Laugh out loud funny and insightful, I highly recommend it!
Kathryn
Natasha
Jan 16, 2020
TheLastCookie
Feb 02, 2020

• Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Olive, Again
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Conviction
  • Dear Edward
  • Obsessed: A Memoir of My Life with OCD
  • The Grace Year
  • Allies
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity
  • Girls on Fire
  • Spider-Man : Mysterio rising
  • Shine
  • Christmas Shopaholic
Stephanie loves words, hates numbers, and has a penchant for making people uncomfortable with her honesty. An English teacher by trade and a smack-talker by nature, Stephanie’s family often tires of listening to her speak. Fortunately, her blog, WhenCrazyMeetsExhaustion, affords an acceptable medium for her verbal diarrhea.

Schooled, out December '19, is her first book! A compilation of essays and