Start by marking “Schooled: A Love Letter to the Exhausting, Infuriating, Occasionally Excruciating Yet Somehow Completely Wonderful Profession of Teaching” as Want to Read:

In this snarky essay collection, former high school English instructor and author Stephanie Jankowski reveals everything your education degree doesn’t prepare you for about being a teacher. New and experienced educators alike will laugh and commiserate with Jankowski's blunt, no-holds-barred commentary, which covers topics such nailing down that first teaching position (“H ...more
Published October 29th 2019 by Page Street Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Schooled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schooled

Start your review of Schooled: A Love Letter to the Exhausting, Infuriating, Occasionally Excruciating Yet Somehow Completely Wonderful Profession of Teaching
Stephanie Jankowski
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it and I'm proud of it...does that count as a review? :-)
Cheeseboy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Schooled" combines the harsh realities of teaching with a comedic flavor. Teachers will immediately bond and relate to this material. As a former teacher and current administrator, I laughed with glee at the perceptible and relatable experiences. I loved every page and may have each of my teachers read the book over the summer. ...more
Must-read for educators
Jan Hoculock
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read, written by an extremely talented writer! Perfectly describes the highs and lows of teaching.
Glen
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, firstreads
A former teacher pens essays about teaching. It's vaguely humorous, but you might have to be a teacher to really get it. It's a bit of a pity party. Teaching is a tough job, and our education system makes it even tougher. ...more
Carrie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book is described as a collection of essays about teaching, but I think the title itself is more accurate; it's a love letter. But it's not a love letter written by someone completely infatuated with someone new, full of stars in their eyes and overlooking the person's faults. It's a love letter to a spouse. I love and cherish my husband, and I have plenty of romantic feelings for him that I'm willing to gush about; however, he also leaves his socks balled up in the laundry basket (if they ...more
Odessa
Mar 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Jankowski has her own witty writing voice and made me laugh out loud reading some of her stories. She definitely captures some of the classic teacher tales, but she also perpetuates two big problems in education:
(1) white saviorism (also perpetuating racist ideas like underresourced families don’t care about their kids education while trying to lay claim to not being a racist because she was given her “Black card” for advising a step team)
(2) Asking teachers to just keep giving to unsustainabl
Angie Hummel
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I seriously devoured this book ! It is a rare occurrence for me to literally laugh out loud while reading a book, and Stephanie was able to do that multiple times through this book. I am not a teacher, but i still found so much humor in her stories and how they were told. Her true personality really came out in this book and I loved every page of it. Not only was it hilarious, but she shared many of her inspiring improvements and changes she has made in the best interest of our children. Stephan ...more
Bri
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a little embarrassed to say I finished this in one sitting. I laughed out loud at parts (Looking at you, "Eli") and teared up at others, and my biggest gripe with this book is that Jankowski thinks her best audience would be teachers, and as a non-educator myself, I completely disagree and I think the applicable audience is anyone who teaches, anyone who knows a teacher, or anyone who has ever been enrolled in primary, middle,, or high school. Thank you for a truly enjoyable read, and for yo ...more
Tricia
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book all educators can relate to with a combination of funny stories from the front lines of public education to helpful tips for keeping your sanity as a teacher. Steph's witty personality and love for her career and students come through in every word. Teachers will feel a sense of solidarity while reading, but parents of students could learn A TON about themselves (and hopefully learn how to not be total jerks to their kids' teachers). ...more
Elizabeth Hubler
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read for those who work in the school setting, who want to work in schools, or who are interested in what it’s really like being a teacher. Stephanie artfully writes laugh out loud essays about being a teacher. But, they aren’t just funny, they teach us to be better teachers, parents, etc. to look beyond what we have always done.
Michael Barone
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My sister wrote this book! She is incredibly talented and exceptional at what she does. She gets her humor from me. I am so proud of her and while not everyone needs to love what she wrote, those of you who criticized her beyond belief, send over the book that you wrote so we can all take a gander at it. Don’t worry I’ll wait.
Krista Williamson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you ever wondered what it might be like in today’s classroom, Stephanie flung the door wide open and let you in. Her humor is unlike any other and her ability to transport you into a high school classroom is insane. First book that I have actually finished in 7 years (because of kids 😅).
Emilie Weasley
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Fun and funny and well written...

Also, Stephanie wrote this book thinking it would only be teachers who would read this book. Well I'm a student. I read this book to know if I wanted to become a teacher... It helped a bit to know the behind the scenes stuff, so thank you!!

Jewel Nunez One Funny Mummy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this book! Jankowski is delightfully funny and tells it like it is in the exhausting but wonderful world of teaching. Full of hilarious teacher truths and helpful tips at the beginning of each chapter, Schooled is a must-read if you want to know what being an educator is really like!
Niamh Dolan
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well written, thought provoking, while humourous assessment of what teachers and people have to deal with in the classroom on a daily basis. Found myself nodding a lot with the gems she shared.
Ash E❤️
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I laughed. A lot. Because a lot everything in this book made me pause and think of the crazy life of a teacher, and how blessed I am to be apart of it.
Sarah Gracey
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and definitely worth the read! The fact that it’s a collection of essays makes it a great book for teachers and parents who have little down time.
Wonderful! Delightful! Insightful!
Alyssa Griggs
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are a teacher, this book is for you! Laugh out loud funny and insightful, I highly recommend it!
Carol
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please see my review on Amazon.com under C.Wong. Thank you.
Joyce
Feb 07, 2021
Pamela Colbrunn
Jan 14, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Olive, Again (Olive Kitteridge, #2)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Conviction
  • Waste: One Woman’s Fight Against America’s Dirty Secret
  • Dear Edward
  • A Kind of Mirraculas Paradise: A True Story About Schizophrenia
  • The Grace Year
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • American Baby: A Mother, a Child, and the Shadow History of Adoption
  • Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Wink
Stephanie loves words, hates numbers, and has a penchant for making people uncomfortable with her honesty. An English teacher by trade and a smack-talker by nature, Stephanie’s family often tires of listening to her speak. Fortunately, her blog, WhenCrazyMeetsExhaustion, affords an acceptable medium for her verbal diarrhea.

Schooled, out December '19, is her first book! A compilation of essays and

News & Interviews

“We can’t control their behavior or their efforts, yet a teacher’s day—maybe even entire career—is at the mercy of So. Many. People.” 0 likes