Start by marking “Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)” as Want to Read:
Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)

Vendetta in Death

(In Death #49)

The predator becomes the prey in the newest thriller in the #1 New York Times bestselling series featuring homicide detective Eve Dallas.

She calls herself Lady Justice. And once she has chosen a man as her target, she turns herself into a tall blonde or a curvaceous redhead, makes herself as alluring and seductive as possible to them. Once they are in her grasp
Published September 3rd 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Vendetta in Death, please sign up.
Nonnie Reads Yes ....the story in this can be read as a stand alone but knowing more of the other characters add a richness to the experience. I loved the story…moreYes ....the story in this can be read as a stand alone but knowing more of the other characters add a richness to the experience. I loved the story more because I know who everyone ancillary character ( her co- workers ) are. JD ROBB is less redundant and has fleshed out the villain/ witnesses more and that was helpful to the story enjoyment. I liked know what the villain was up to ....

I do think you will want to go back and gradually read the others ... if so start with the first one ... Naked in Death.(less)
Monica Thank you!

Most fans are too pie-eyed over Roarke to speak honestly about how much like Edward Cullen and Christian Gray he really is.

…more
Thank you!

His paternal, “Eat what I say, when I say, sleep when I say, dress how I say, take medicine when I say” micro-management makes them swoon and whip out the “he’s a protective alpha taking care of his woman whether she likes it or not” card

And you are spot on about the policework. It used to be that he would lend his tech skills or act as a substitute for Peabody when she asked. Now he gets to decide that she’s too stubborn? female? To do her job independently after dark or in the early hours of the morning? His insistence on playing bodyguard while she’s in the field indicates a serious lack of faith in her abilities as a cop.

Moreover, the Eve I started and kept reading for would definitely “argue” when he got all controlling.

Honestly, if his ego can’t handle a wife who can defend herself against anyone who tries her, then he’s better off with one of those dainty, socialite barbies who’ll hang silently on his arm at parties and meet him in the bedroom at the end of his work days (she’ll be at home, of course) wearing nothing but a smile and bearing a glass of brandy. Ugh.

Also, to answer your question, the same police department that would allow a spouse to suit up for a major takedown of a murderer.

And I’m so, so sick of Roarke going behind Eve’s back and undermining her authority as the head of the team when he decides she needs to be protected. Again, I say, if you don’t trust her to do her job without you there to brandish your illegal weaponry and look tough, then serious conversations need to be had.
(less)

Hulya Kara Yuksel

Ummm J.D.Robb, can you publish the 50th book a little bit sooner? 😁😁😁 Ahhh I should've read this book very, very slowly but when it comes to Eve & Roarke, I couldn't hold myself. 😜 I literally devoured this book. ❤

What can I say more? I just love them, this series sooooo much. ☺☺

-------------

Sneak peek of the Vendetta in Death!!! :)

OMG I can't wait to meet with Eve & Roarke again. <3

Expected publication: September 3rd 2019

Jilly
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
So when Dexter tortures and cuts up killers he's a hero, but when a woman does it to rapists in a pseudo Wonder Woman suit she's suddenly crazy? I call sexism!!

She was just living the dream...

Okay, so maybe she is a little crazy. But who doesn't go a little crazy when their significant other screws them over? One time, when I was a teenage drama queen, I wrote "Asshole" in lipstick on a boyfriend's car window. I
Jonetta
Well, this one started with a punch! We get to know a lot about the perpetrator from the start and most surprising is it’s a woman, though we don’t know her true identity. Her first target is a notorious predator in the corporate arena who uses his power to do some pretty awful stuff to the women who cross his path (think Harvey Weinstein) and her brand of justice is not for the faint of heart. Lieutenant Eve Dallas and team have their work cut out for them when the next murder occurs with all t ...more
Phrynne
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I managed to leave this book on the shelf for two weeks before my steely resolve collapsed and I grabbed it and read it as fast as I could. So much for saving it and making it last.

It's a good one! The topic is very relevant to current events although actions are taken way in excess of the norm (we hope anyway). There is a very crazy lady who does some really crazy things but Eve of course is on to her. The police work is good and I thought the ending was pretty tense.

As
Corina
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always it was entirely entertaining.

Eve and Roarke are still kicking ass, better than ever. Their relationship is the ultimate goal!! And going strong even after 49 books. And I'm still as in love as I was reading the first book.

Loved the small glimpses of all my favorite characters.
MicheleReader
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The In Death series never gets old. Not an easy feat when you’re at book #49. Incredible. Always great to have another adventure with Eve and Roake. This time they are working to solve the Lady Justice murders. We start off with the brutal death of Nigel McEnroy who seems on the surface to be the perfect man – successful business owner, good husband and loving father but he has a very dark side and is also a rapist and sadist. When someone parading as a female vigilante takes credit for the crime, th ...more
Annika
Audiobook review

I can’t believe that’s it’s been almost 50 books since I first met Eve, Roarke and the rest of them. Well more if you count the novellas. I think that very few series can survive these many books and still keep true to themselves.

Story-wise Vendetta in Death isn’t the strongest in the series. I would say that it’s lost some of its shine, its essence, compared to the other books. These books have always been as much about the cast of characters surrounding Eve, as it has been about solving
Celeste
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

After reading four dozen books with the same characters, you’d think I’d be tired of them. But that couldn’t be further from the truth. Vendetta in Death is the 49th(!) book following Eve Dallas, a Homicide detective in New York City in the near future. By this point, Eve and Roarke and every person in their lives feel tangibly real to me, and every new installment in this series feels like a chance to catch up with friends I haven’t seen in a while.

In Vendetta in Death,
Ira
3.75 stars.

I don’t think Eve need to handle this case, it’s too bloody easy!
Peabody, Baxter or one of her team will solve it just fine!
While I still love this series, I do miss big cases that we found in earliest of this series.

Oh well, sigh.

Now, I want to read Doyle’s and Acton’s Murder in The Blood, their new book which just published today! 😘
Barbara Rogers
Series: In Death #49
Publication Date: 9/3/19
Number of Pages: 368

Anyone might think that after 49 books a series would start to decline, be repetitive or lose its focus. Thank goodness that isn’t even remotely the case with this series. I’m as excited for each new release as I was in the beginning – and I am NEVER disappointed. I adore all of the secondary characters and you can’t get a better set of main characters that Eve and Roarke. If you want to get a real buzz, list
Johnna Thiessen
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love J. D Robb and her In Death series. I wait for these books to come out. I've read all of them in order. It's so easy to enter into this futuristic world and to cheer for Dallas, Roarke, Peabody and all their quirky friends to catch the bad guys and win the good fight.
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead

After the last book I really thought I was done with this series but apparently I can't stay away so here we go.........

Women who've been raped, abused or cheated on are being gruesomely revenged in this new addition to this series. Eve has to work tirelessly to stop a female serial killer fromé kidnapping, torturing and murdering the men who abused women in some form. Even though we knew the killer in the latter part of the book the chase to act
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
The Eve Dallas series is an automatic one click for me even after 48 books.

That said, I think it’s time to give Eve a new journey. That’s what made this series great over the crime/police procedural aspects.

It’s Eve herself that makes the series. We’ve watch her grow, stumble, recover, open. But we need something new.

Eve won the battle with opening herself up for the love of a good man and a growing cast of friends. We saw her work through issues of the past.<
Lyn *NomadicWorlds
The storyline was kind of predictable but I enjoyed the Eve-and-Roarke moments and the small parts of my other favorite characters 😊
Mei
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Did I say that I love Eve and Roarke? LOL

When I started this series I had more than 40 books to read one after the other and I was great! Now I must wait months for the next one to come out and it's torture!

I love all the parts in this book: the mistery and the romance and the friendship! Unfortunately here the friendship part was small and I missed it very, very much!

I missed Somerset and Eve's banter when she enters her home. I missed McNab and Peabody's smootches that
Kathy Davie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Forty-ninth in the In Death romantic suspense series and revolving around Lieutenant Eve Dallas in the New York of April 2061.

My Take
What a load of crap. I don't know who actually wrote this. If it really was "Robb", a.k.a., Nora Roberts, she is really bored with writing the series. It was all surface...yuck...with assorted details tossed in that relate to the characters, but are nothing as usually presented. It simply did not read true to previous stories. Not to mention all the "mention/>My
Monnie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, actually.

If I had to describe this book - the latest in the popular series featuring NYPD Lt. Eve Dallas, of which I've read almost all - in just one word, it would be this: Bland.

On the plus side, readers do see glimpses of Eve's uber-wealthy and hunky Irish husband Roarke's love for his wife (he's on my Top 10 list of favorite book heroes, I hasten to add), but the couple's sizzling (and fairly graphic) bedroom antics that heated up the pages of past books ar
Dani
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars

Loved this one! Gahh so excited for #50!

Every time I hear there is another book in the In Death series I'm grateful for everything. Gah...love the cover, love the synopsis. My body and mind are ready for more Roarke and Eve..J.D thank you, thank you, thank you for continuing to write this series

description/
Diane
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, what a ride that was! A woman scorned is not something (or someone) you want to mess with guys! Be careful, Lady Justice may just have you on her list! I figured out fairly early who the killer was, but still a great story line with the typical bantering we have come to love in this series.

Two thumbs up and 4.5 stars.

From the blurb: She calls herself Lady Justice. And once she has chosen a man as her target, she turns herself into a tall blonde or a curvaceous redhe
Sofie Hern
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, St. Martin's Press, for providing this ARC!

Eve Dallas and company are at it again. In this installment, Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD is after a killer going by the name of Lady Justice. As always, it's a treat to be able to visit with these characters who are as familiar to us as a close friend.

Lady Justice believes that she must give justice to those women who may have been mistreated and abused by men. She has taken it upon herself to be judge, jury, an
Lynn Cahoon
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great return to Eve's world, even though the subject matter is a little tough. Peabody is taking on more of a partner role and Eve is softening a bit.

Cozy readers will love the well developed characters and worldbuilding.
Wendy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book are the moments that touch on the personal growth of Eve. She sees what she has in her relationship with Roarke, and she understands how lucky she is to have that.
Don't want to spoil anyone, so my only other comment is that there's a lovely scene with Bella Eve, Mavis, Summerset and Eve.
CatBookMom
Eve has moved into a much kinder, gentler phase. Not a bad thing, at all, just unexpected. Doesn't mean she's not still a kick-ass, but she seems to stop a beat and think about the people around her, doesn't just steam-roller over them.

Many of the issues, even many of the details, in this are quite similar to "Brotherhood in Death," and I'm trying to decide why the author would repeat this so close to the last book (#42).

Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
Well...

What can I possibly say that I have not already.

This series is my ALL TIME FAVORITE...hands down the most brilliantly epic series ever!

I know when I read a Nora/JD book that I will, beyond a shadow of a doubt get lost in the story. Even if it’s not her best...it’s going to be awesomeness. Why? If I knew I swear I would tell you.

I absofreakinlutely love Eve & Roarke...I love their banter, I love that she is badass and that he allows her to be her, I
Wendy
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5* Another good Eve Dallas book! Someone named "Lady Justice" is abducting, torturing, castrating, and killing men who have a history of abusing and maltreating women. Reading the crimes these men have done does make one think all men are scum. It explains how we really need the #MeToo movement. However, in fairness, as Peabody said in the book, there are a lot of decent men out there.
We do get to know who the culprit is early on in the book. I generally prefer it when we don't know who the a
Lynsey A
Even with 50 books under her belt in this series, Robb always manages to create a different story. (I say 50 because she already has that one written).

Just a few thoughts about this one:

♦ We get a fun surprise in this book. Yay!!!

♦ The killer is revealed pretty earlier on this story, which was surprising but didn't dampen the enjoyment of the story.

♦ Only one Eve and Roarke love scene which was odd but hey at least we got one.

♦ I still wish she would include
☆°•..  Jillie Anne ..•°☆
Ok here it comes. If this was the first JD Robb book you read in the series it would be a great read. Fun and action packed. I love Nora Roberts. The writing is always perfect and well planed. The audio book is everything you could want and more. The narration is above perfect. However I think this will end the series for me. This book could have been any of the other 10 in this series. It felt like there was a formula to write this. The bad guy does a bad thing, Eve has to think. More bad stuff ...more
Kirsten #EndGunViolence
A new In Death gives you a nice fuzzy feeling. That feeling where you know where you belong. The world of autochefs, professional mother payments, the gun ban, etc.

In this book, Robb shows us that just because it's the 21st century, it doesn't mean men have improved. The first victim really, really, really needed to be killed. The man gave sexual harassment a bad name.

But Dallas a justice purist is having none of it. This was a really enjoyable book in the series and had a lot of laugh out lou
Larry Plemmons
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ANYTHING written by J D Robb (Nora Roberts) is well worth your time and expense. I have collected over 40 of her 50+ books (First Edition, First Printing) and wait for the new ones with barely controlled patience. As in ALL her books, this one had ALL the ingredients! It made you think, laugh, cry, and feel!
Vivian
3.5-star read

Lieutenant Eve Dallas and Detective Delia Peabody are Homicide detectives on the New York City Police and Security Department in the near future. These women and their colleagues in various departments across the police force have tried to solve cases and gain justice for the murdered victims, even if the victim was...let's just say not a nice person. In the spring of 2061, Dallas and Peabody are called in on the murder of one Nigel McEnroy. The victim was obviously boun
J.D. Robb : Vendetta in Death - September 3, 2019 33 43 Sep 16, 2019 11:02AM
Roarke 1 4 Sep 12, 2019 01:20AM
Vampires, Weres a...: Buddy Read: Vendetta in Death 33 19 Sep 06, 2019 06:56PM
Play Book Tag: Vendetta in Death by J.D. Robb - 3.5 stard 1 14 Sep 05, 2019 09:40AM
Caskett in Death: Vendetta in Death (#49) thread 3 21 Sep 03, 2019 12:01PM

• Under Currents
  • Dukes Are Forever (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #5)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Ash (Dragon Souls, #3)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Switching for Her (Blasphemy, #5)
  • Untitled (The Iron Covenant, #2)
  • Eternal Storm (Mark of the Vampire, #7)
  • Munro (Immortals After Dark, #19)
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7)
  • Never Have I Ever (Always Satisfied #3)
  • All It Takes (Romancing Manhattan, #2)
  • Killer Decision (The Killer, #2)
  • The Slow Burn (Moonlight and Motor Oil #2)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • Dirty Love (Dirty Deeds, #3)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th entry in ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)