Start by marking “The Grace Year” as Want to Read:
The Grace Year

The Grace Year

No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden.

Girls are told they have the power to lure grown men from their beds, drive women mad with jealousy. They believe their very skin emits a powerful aphrodisiac, the potent essence of youth, of a girl on the edge of womanhood. That’s why they’re banished for their sixteenth year, to release their magic into the wild so they can
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by Wednesday Books (first published September 17th 2019)

Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
Shelves: from-publisher
"I have to remind myself -the dresses, the red ribbons, the veils, the ceremonies- they're all just distractions to keep our minds off the real issue at hand. The grace year.

My chin begins to quiver when I think of the year ahead, the unknown, but I plaster on a vacant smile, as if I'm happy to play my part, so I might return and marry and breed and die. But not all of us will make it home...not in one piece."

Hello, good evening, and let me introduce you to my favorite book of 2019, The Grace Y
Lola
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do not be fooled by the excessively pink cover, this is not a sweet story and the characters do not care to be likeable and cherished by the reader. It’s a wild, wild world and so are the girls in it. I have not read a YA dystopian in over a year, but this one reminded me why I used to actively seek out these types of stories. Because they are messy and ugly and dramatic and despite all that, or maybe because of it, I am fascinated.

In Tierney’s dystopian society, teenage girls are believed to h
Elyse Walters
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Reviews on Goodreads are outrageously enthusiastic.
At least the ones I saw.
So when I received a ‘Read Now’, notice from Netgalley - I thought - what the heck ...
Personally- I’m less enthusiastic about this book - than the reviews I’ve read - yet I can understand the book’s appeal.

This is a quick read: A Young Adult dystopian novel. It’s been compared to “Handmaid’s Tale”, and “Lord of The Flies”, and “The Hunger Games”.
Fair assessment.

Sixteen year-old girls spend a year in the forest in ord
Larry H
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

Kim Liggett's upcoming novel The Grace Year feels like a mashup of The Handmaid's Tale and Lord of the Flies , with a little bit of The Hunger Games mixed in for good measure. Yet at the same time, it's an immensely unique and disturbing story all its own.

"They call us the weaker sex. It's pounded into us every Sunday in church, how everything's Eve's fault for not expelling her magic when she had the chance, but I still can't understand why the girls don't get a say. Sure, ther
Melissa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH, MY GOD. This book is HARROWING and absolutely riveting, an insidious journey from reason to madness that manages to absolutely refresh the concept of the patriarchal dystopia, with a beautifully realized ending that goes to a very different, and even more believable, subtle, and unexpectedly satisfying, place than I expected. Also the last line is so gorgeous I read it three times.
Betsy
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, rtc
Unpopular opinion incoming...

There have been a lot of gushing reviews of this book out there, so I’m probably going to get things thrown at me for saying this, but The Grace Year was just okay.

RTC
Kristy
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways, goodreads
Very excited to have won this book via a Goodreads giveway! Looking forward to reading and reviewing it soon!
Rian *fire and books*
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know what to say about this. It’s an unfathomable novel and I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to give it the review it deserves.

My face is hot, my throat tight and in desperate need of water and I need more and I need less of this book.
Sara Grochowski
With a setting that feels outside of time, The Grace Year depicts a world in which the system manipulates and controls women under the guise of care, only to pit girls against one another from their earliest years. Liggett immerses readers in the secretive mythology of transformative grace year, then exposes its timely and brutal truths with a swift, sure hand. 16-year old Tierney’s crusade to stay true to herself and maintain her humanity as her peers devolve into paranoia and chaos resonates d ...more
Lisa
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
Holy crap. This book is POWERFUL. It's perfectly described as The Handmaid's Tale meets Lord of the Flies.

It's about the lies that keep us pliant and docile - about facing the harsh truths full on in order to break free of them.

This is typically book I wouldn't enjoy reading: it's bleak and dark but there's so much hope infused throughout. The writing is crisp and vivid; the words in this book will stick with me for a long, long time.

A must read of the year. A feminist triumph.
Sami
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every year, the village sends young women into the woods for their "grace year," when they are meant to dispel their dangerous magic. Fierce and unusual Tierney is the only girl with survival skills, but faced with vicious human poachers, an unyielding winter, and the malicious ringleader of her fellow graced, it will take everything she has to make it to the next year. With hints of The Village, The Handmaid's Tale, and Lord of the Flies, THE GRACE YEAR still manages to be a completely original ...more
Felicia
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
How do you review a book that you enjoyed reading immensely yet it has glaringly poor execution?

The plot is sooo good.
Welcome to a world where girls are banished to an isolated camp for their sixteenth year of life (The Grace Year) to vanquish the "magic", or power, they hold over men, only to be married off or assigned duties as an indentured worker upon their return.

"White ribbons for the young girls, red for the grace year girls, and black for the wives. Innocence. Blood. Death."

This camp s
Amanda
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. The Grace Year is a feminist dystopian novel that packed quite a punch! I was absolutely captivated by this book and SO glad to say that it lived up to the hype.

Full review to come soon!
Andie Anderson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting, horrifying, and visceral.

The Grace Year is a slowly slinking mind f*ck that will have you questioning everything. Every year the sixteen year old girls of the county are sent away to burn through their magic before they can return to be dutiful wives - and property. Tierney has never wanted to be owned or to follow the rules but if she isn't careful she won't survive the year.

Part Handmaids Tale and part Lord of the Flies, The Grace Year depicts women at our ugliest. When we're trappe
Emma lovey
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
really good.
Laura Rash
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Truly original in every sense of the word! Mesmerizing and terrifying all at the same time. I really couldn’t read it fast enough! If you’re looking for something totally different to read then this is one for you!
Thanks to St. Martins Press for this early copy.
Natasha Ngan
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE HANDMAID'S TALE meets THE CRUCIBLE for teens. This book has *teeth*. Not an easy read by any means, but an incredibly important one, and I felt so empowered as a woman by some of the scenes and quotes that I teared up.
Katherine Moore
‘The Grace Year’ is the brutal and harrowing story about the young women of Garner County who are forced to spend their sixteenth year in a secluded encampment outside the town as they ‘embrace their magic.’ They must release their powers before they marry or go off to work in the fields or labor houses, before they return to civilization, that’s IF they return, surviving poachers who hunt them for their ‘magic’, and ultimately, surviving the time they spend with each other.

This is a feminist t
Bex Wiles
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'The Grace Year' is original, fierce and an allegory for life in the #MeToo age: I can't wait to promote it to my teenage students. Tierney, the protagonist, knows that things can be different and that in order for that to happen women need to work together and not tear each other down. Michael is an exemplar of what male feminism should be. This book would be fantastic for teenage book groups and there are so many aspects of it that could be mulled over in discussion. I'm sure there will be a m ...more
Vickie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Thanks to St. Martin’s Press for an ARC of The Grace Year. I tend to be a slow reader, but could not put this one down. So dark and horrifying, yet beautifully written. This one is going to stay with me for a long time. It’s early on, but I have a feeling this will be one of my top 5 reads of 2019!
Cristina
lyrically written & totally horrifying.
Leslie
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“My chin begins to quiver when I think of the year ahead, the unknown, but I plaster on a vacant smile, as if I’m happy to play my part, so I might return and marry and breed and die.”

The Handmaid’s Tale, Lord of the Flies, and The Hunger Games converge to create this disturbing, yet powerful and symbolic dystopian fantasy. Rating this novel was very difficult for me. Unlike Margaret Atwood, who skirts the line of shock value without being utterly grotesque, Liggett does not shy away from the ho
Shelly Phillips
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved The Grace year! I couldn't put this book down...I'm putting this book up there with The Hunger Games, and hopefully it becomes a movie!

I'll also be passing this book onto some tween readers in my family!

Hopefully we'll be seeing a 2nd book to The Grace Year in the mean time I'll be following up and purchasing more books from Kim Liggett!!

So glad I received this book ;)
Brittany
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book hit me full force, like a smack to the face. It was the only book I've read this year (thus far) that I truly couldn't put down. From the first page to the last, it keeps you waiting: a perfect blend of lyric, literary writing and heart pounding, breath catching plotting. Read this.
Roman Clodia

There's been a lot of buzz about this book but somehow I missed the fact that it's YA which, if I'd known, would have qualified my expectations somewhat. It certainly revisits many of the tropes of other YA feminist dystopia: it reminded me especially of The Hunger Games but with a better romance. Needless to say, any similarity in literary terms to The Handmaid's Tale is negligible: this lacks the depth, the subtlety, the complexity, the sheer intelligence of Atwood - for all that, tho
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"That's the one thing they will never be able to control in me. My wild, wild heart."

This book BLEW my mind to pieces.
Just when I thought I had something figured out, I quickly realized I had no idea.
Firstly, the main character, Tierney James, is a heroine from THE GODS. Like, she could not be more of a perfect, badass, strong woman for us all to look up to.
The whole thing could not have been written more perfectly. It was written and executed so beautifully and flawlessly that I have to wo
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
IS THERE A SECOND BOOK? THERE BETTER BE. OMG
Rachel Strolle
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was fantastic even despite the fact there really weren't chapter breaks which made reading it ridiculously difficult for my brain to process (i gotta take breaks!!!!!)
Kathleen
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Boy this book certainly packs a punch. Does it live up to the description of The Handmaid's Tale meets The Lord of the Flies? It certainly does. It can be really brutal and shocking. Just horrifying at times. But the real story, the story that women are strong and powerful and actually possess magic, that's where this book truly shines. I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy to read in exchange for an honest review.
Helen
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and have to honestly say I was blown away by how great this story is. Action-packed, atmospheric, symbolic, engaging, well-written, and downright un-put-down-able!

....As my damp boots sink into the soft dirt, I think of my mother walking this path before me, June and Ivy, and Penny and Clara, who will be forced to follow in my footsteps.
There are deer tracks, and porcupine, fox, and fowl. but there's another set of tracks that make my blood run cold
Young(ish) Adult ...: The Grace Year by Kim Liggett 3 7 Jun 03, 2019 06:05PM

• The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • All We Could Have Been
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The King's Questioner
  • Incendiary
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Suggested Reading
  • The Bone Houses
  • Ember Days
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)

Kim Liggett, originally from the rural midwest, moved to New York City to pursue a career in the arts. She's the author of Blood and Salt, Heart of Ash, The Last Harvest (Bram Stoker Award Winner), The Unfortunates, and The Grace Year. Kim spends her free time studying tarot and scouring Manhattan for rare vials of perfume and the perfect egg white cocktail.