Start by marking “The Grace Year” as Want to Read:
The Grace Year

The Grace Year

No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden.

Girls are told they have the power to lure grown men from their beds, drive women mad with jealousy. They believe their very skin emits a powerful aphrodisiac, the potent essence of youth, of a girl on the edge of womanhood. That’s why they’re banished for their sixteenth year, to release their magic into the wild so they can
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by Wednesday Books (first published September 17th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Grace Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grace Year

Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
Shelves: from-publisher
"I have to remind myself -the dresses, the red ribbons, the veils, the ceremonies- they're all just distractions to keep our minds off the real issue at hand. The grace year.

My chin begins to quiver when I think of the year ahead, the unknown, but I plaster on a vacant smile, as if I'm happy to play my part, so I might return and marry and breed and die. But not all of us will make it home...not in one piece."

Hello, good evening, and let me introduce you to my favorite book of 2019, The Grace Y
Lola
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do not be fooled by the excessively pink cover, this is not a sweet story and the characters do not care to be likeable and cherished by the reader. It’s a wild, wild world and so are the girls in it. I have not read a YA dystopian in over a year, but this one reminded me why I used to actively seek out these types of stories. Because they are messy and ugly and dramatic and despite all that, or maybe because of it, I am fascinated.

In Tierney’s dystopian society, teenage girls are believed to h
Melissa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH, MY GOD. This book is HARROWING and absolutely riveting, an insidious journey from reason to madness that manages to absolutely refresh the concept of the patriarchal dystopia, with a beautifully realized ending that goes to a very different, and even more believable, subtle, and unexpectedly satisfying, place than I expected. Also the last line is so gorgeous I read it three times.
Larry H
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

Kim Liggett's upcoming novel The Grace Year feels like a mashup of The Handmaid's Tale and Lord of the Flies , with a little bit of The Hunger Games mixed in for good measure. Yet at the same time, it's an immensely unique and disturbing story all its own.

"They call us the weaker sex. It's pounded into us every Sunday in church, how everything's Eve's fault for not expelling her magic when she had the chance, but I still can't understand why the girls don't get a say. Sure, ther
Rian *fire and books*
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know what to say about this. It’s an unfathomable novel and I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to give it the review it deserves.

My face is hot, my throat tight and in desperate need of water and I need more and I need less of this book.
Sara Grochowski
With a setting that feels outside of time, The Grace Year depicts a world in which the system manipulates and controls women under the guise of care, only to pit girls against one another from their earliest years. Liggett immerses readers in the secretive mythology of transformative grace year, then exposes its timely and brutal truths with a swift, sure hand. 16-year old Tierney’s crusade to stay true to herself and maintain her humanity as her peers devolve into paranoia and chaos resonates d ...more
Sami
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every year, the village sends young women into the woods for their "grace year," when they are meant to dispel their dangerous magic. Fierce and unusual Tierney is the only girl with survival skills, but faced with vicious human poachers, an unyielding winter, and the malicious ringleader of her fellow graced, it will take everything she has to make it to the next year. With hints of The Village, The Handmaid's Tale, and Lord of the Flies, THE GRACE YEAR still manages to be a completely original ...more
Lisa
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
Holy crap. This book is POWERFUL. It's perfectly described as The Handmaid's Tale meets Lord of the Flies.

It's about the lies that keep us pliant and docile - about facing the harsh truths full on in order to break free of them.

This is typically book I wouldn't enjoy reading: it's bleak and dark but there's so much hope infused throughout. The writing is crisp and vivid; the words in this book will stick with me for a long, long time.

A must read of the year. A feminist triumph.
Andie Anderson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting, horrifying, and visceral.

The Grace Year is a slowly slinking mind f*ck that will have you questioning everything. Every year the sixteen year old girls of the county are sent away to burn through their magic before they can return to be dutiful wives - and property. Tierney has never wanted to be owned or to follow the rules but if she isn't careful she won't survive the year.

Part Handmaids Tale and part Lord of the Flies, The Grace Year depicts women at our ugliest. When we're trappe
Emma lovey
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
really good.
Cristina
lyrically written & totally horrifying.
Bex Wiles
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'The Grace Year' is original, fierce and an allegory for life in the #MeToo age: I can't wait to promote it to my teenage students. Tierney, the protagonist, knows that things can be different and that in order for that to happen women need to work together and not tear each other down. Michael is an exemplar of what male feminism should be. This book would be fantastic for teenage book groups and there are so many aspects of it that could be mulled over in discussion. I'm sure there will be a m ...more
Vickie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Thanks to St. Martin’s Press for an ARC of The Grace Year. I tend to be a slow reader, but could not put this one down. So dark and horrifying, yet beautifully written. This one is going to stay with me for a long time. It’s early on, but I have a feeling this will be one of my top 5 reads of 2019!
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"That's the one thing they will never be able to control in me. My wild, wild heart."

This book BLEW my mind to pieces.
Just when I thought I had something figured out, I quickly realized I had no idea.
Firstly, the main character, Tierney James, is a heroine from THE GODS. Like, she could not be more of a perfect, badass, strong woman for us all to look up to.
The whole thing could not have been written more perfectly. It was written and executed so beautifully and flawlessly that I have to wo
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
IS THERE A SECOND BOOK? THERE BETTER BE. OMG
Shelly Phillips
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved The Grace year! I couldn't put this book down...I'm putting this book up there with The Hunger Games, and hopefully it becomes a movie!

I'll also be passing this book onto some tween readers in my family!

Hopefully we'll be seeing a 2nd book to The Grace Year in the mean time I'll be following up and purchasing more books from Kim Liggett!!

So glad I received this book ;)
Brittany
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book hit me full force, like a smack to the face. It was the only book I've read this year (thus far) that I truly couldn't put down. From the first page to the last, it keeps you waiting: a perfect blend of lyric, literary writing and heart pounding, breath catching plotting. Read this.
Leslie
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“My chin begins to quiver when I think of the year ahead, the unknown, but I plaster on a vacant smile, as if I’m happy to play my part, so I might return and marry and breed and die.”

The Handmaid’s Tale, Lord of the Flies, and The Hunger Games converge to create this disturbing, yet powerful and symbolic dystopian fantasy. Rating this novel was very difficult for me. Unlike Margaret Atwood, who skirts the line of shock value without being utterly grotesque, Liggett does not shy away from the ho
Rachel Strolle
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was fantastic even despite the fact there really weren't chapter breaks which made reading it ridiculously difficult for my brain to process (i gotta take breaks!!!!!)
Cheryl
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Misogyny, subjugation, but above all the horrible things girls and women do to each other out of fear and Envy are the cautionary themes in this gorgeous, dystopian tale set in an undefined time in an undefined place. Absolutely one of the best new books I’ve read in a long time, imagine a beautifully written mashup of the Handmaid’s Tale and the Lord of the Flies, with the page turning excitement of the Hunger Games. It is packed full of tears, fears, friendship, love, joy, and hope. No YA fan ...more
Jackie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs, fantasy
This book is dark, twisted, beautiful and awful and I can’t recommend it enough!

“The Grace Year” finds Tierney approaching her 16th year where her magic comes into full bloom and she along with the other girls her age will be exiled in order to keep the men from becoming consumed by their gifts, but with a dream she can’t shake and an overwhelming desire to survive, Tierney faces her year in the unknown and finds that sometimes the truth can be found if one simply opens their eyes.

Wow I know so
Christy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-2019
I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of this book!
"The Hunger Games" meets "The Handmaid's Tale"...!

For me this book ended too soon - I enjoyed every minute of it. I loved the character dynamic, plotline, and just how gripping it was.

I got so pulled in to this one... Every moment in this plotline was so vivid and intense that I really got invested in the story and its characters. I really recommend this one. It was amazing to have the chance to read an advanced copy! This may be my fav
Helen
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and have to honestly say I was blown away by how great this story is. Action-packed, atmospheric, symbolic, engaging, well-written, and downright un-put-down-able!

....As my damp boots sink into the soft dirt, I think of my mother walking this path before me, June and Ivy, and Penny and Clara, who will be forced to follow in my footsteps.
There are deer tracks, and porcupine, fox, and fowl. but there's another set of tracks that make my blood run cold
Shawna Briseno
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a world where women both young and old are believed to have magical powers, the ability to drive men and women crazy. That’s just the world created in this tale. When Tierney turns sixteen, she knows what’s coming. It’s time for her Grace Year. Banished to the woods for an entire year, she and her fellow female counterparts must find a way to survive. Very little food, minimal shelter, the constant threat of death from forces both known and unknown...it’s a battle to the very end. To mak ...more
Sheila
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got The Grace Year from a goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed this book, the author made it easy to connect with the characters and relate to the wide range of emotions the characters were going through. It was such a good story that I found it hard to put down because I wanted to keep reading so I could find out what was going to happen next. This author delivered an amazing story at every turn. While it is like The hunger games and other such books in my opinion it was also very different a ...more
Jenny Yergin
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book. This book kept me interested the whole time. This definitely shows just how brutal and violent girls can be when placed together for a year on an island. This book lived up to it's description and more.
I still can't wrap my mind around some of it.
Sarah Bonamino
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, smp
EVERYTHING I COULD HAVE WANTED AND MORE ❤ ...more
Katherine Moore
‘The Grace Year’ is the brutal and harrowing story about the young women of Garner County who are forced to spend their sixteenth year in a secluded encampment outside the town as they ‘embrace their magic.’ They must release their powers before they marry or go off to work in the fields or labor houses, before they return to civilization, that’s IF they return, surviving poachers who hunt them for their ‘magic’, and ultimately, surviving the time they spend with each other.

This is a feminist t
Openly Bookish
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a phenomenal book. I can't wait to buy a copy when it comes out.
Jesse
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unf. What a beautiful, gutting, suckerpunch of a book! Brutal from beginning to end, this clear commentary on the abhorrent treatment of women will make your blood boil. Yet, there is the reminder that we are stronger together, that we can create change and tear apart the status quo working as a team. Women are a force to be reckoned with!
Young(ish) Adult ...: The Grace Year by Kim Liggett 3 7 Jun 03, 2019 06:05PM

• The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • All We Could Have Been
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The King's Questioner
  • Incendiary
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Suggested Reading
  • The Bone Houses
  • Ember Days
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)

Kim Liggett, originally from the rural midwest, moved to New York City to pursue a career in the arts. She's the author of Blood and Salt, Heart of Ash, The Last Harvest (Bram Stoker Award Winner), The Unfortunates, and The Grace Year. Kim spends her free time studying tarot and scouring Manhattan for rare vials of perfume and the perfect egg white cocktail.