Start by marking “The Grace Year” as Want to Read:
The Grace Year

The Grace Year

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  21,620 ratings  ·  4,933 reviews
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden.

In Garner County, girls are told they have the power to lure grown men from their beds, to drive women mad with jealousy. They believe their very skin emits a powerful aphrodisiac, the potent essence of youth, of a girl on the edge of womanhood. That’s why they’re banished for their sixteenth year, to release their magic into
Published October 8th 2019 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Grace Year, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kendyll Pfeifer
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Susan I have a print ARC, and there are breaks between sections. There are not numbered chapters, but there are flowers or designs breaking up sections so i…moreI have a print ARC, and there are breaks between sections. There are not numbered chapters, but there are flowers or designs breaking up sections so it is easy to pause. It was very easy to read in this format. (less)

·  21,620 ratings  ·  4,933 reviews

Start your review of The Grace Year
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
Happy Pub Day!!!

"I have to remind myself -the dresses, the red ribbons, the veils, the ceremonies- they're all just distractions to keep our minds off the real issue at hand. The grace year.

My chin begins to quiver when I think of the year ahead, the unknown, but I plaster on a vacant smile, as if I'm happy to play my part, so I might return and marry and breed and die. But not all of us will make it home...not in one piece."

Hello, good evening, and let me introduce you to my favorite book of 2
Nilufer Ozmekik
Four somebody hold the door please, because I’m volunteer to get this bloody, scary, mind twisting and shouting, terrifying, not nail biter but whole arm biter, making you addict to the anxiety pills but you’re going to need to taste your boundaries stars!

THE INGREDIENTS TO CREATE THIS GRUESOME, SMART, WTH I’M READING, TAKE THIS AWAY, BUT ONCE YOU START YOU CANNOT DROP OUT BOOK:
Two cups of “ Handmaid’s Tale”
One table spoon of “Hunger Games”
Two pinches of “Beach” and “Annihilation”
And one cup of
Emily May
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
“Look around,” Kiersten says as she stares me dead in the eyes. “We are the only Gods here.”

4 1/2 stars. Wow. This book was hard to put down! And the ending made me really emotional.

The Grace Year is such an exciting mix of horror, survival and the best of YA dystopias from 5-10 years back. It really is like a darker, more feminist version of The Hunger Games. I had a really busy week, but I looked for every opportunity possible to sit down with this book and get sucked back into this ugly p
chai ♡

The Grace Year refused to dissipate and hung like a poisonous vapor long after I finished it, pervading every corner of my room like a simmering toxin. The feeling was a violent plunge encompassing revulsion and sorrow far beyond the personal: a sick, scorching nausea at humanity's violence against itself since the dawn of time. And though the ending was more hopeful than grim, I felt my anger still brimming and unspent.

So what’s this book about?

They call it the Grace Year—using s
Lala BooksandLala
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
This had a lot going for it, but the pace threw me off and it had one of my most hated tropes..so a middle of the road 3 star is where we land. It's smart; conventional enough of a plot that it's easy to sink right into the story, but unique enough that it didn't feel like another paint-by-number "dystopian". I might have quite enjoyed this as a teen.
Felicia
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
How do you review a book that you enjoyed reading immensely yet it has glaringly poor execution?

The plot is sooo good.
Welcome to a world where girls are banished to an isolated camp for their sixteenth year of life (The Grace Year) to vanquish the "magic", or power, they hold over men, only to be married off or assigned duties as an indentured worker upon their return.

"White ribbons for the young girls, red for the grace year girls, and black for the wives. Innocence. Blood. Death."

This camp s
Hannah Greendale
jessica
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
another feminist dystopia, another underwhelmed jessica. seems pretty on brand for me at the moment, unfortunately.

this review is probably going to be all over the place because i cant really articulate why this didnt quite work for me. it wasnt a horrible reading experience - in fact, the story is so fast paced that it makes for a quick read. maybe i just wasnt in the right mood for this? because all i could keep thinking whilst reading is 'why? what is the purpose of this?'

and what it keeps c
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Intelligent, haunting & mesmerizing emotional thriller.

I loved this book so much. I wanted to stop at a few points and discuss with someone but I didn’t have anyone reading it with me or a book club to discuss it with. There is just so much worth talking about. I am feeling so much and out this book right now. I just saw that it is being made into a movie and I already can’t wait. I was totally engrossed throughout the entire book and it surprised me more often than not. Almost every time I thou
Cristina Monica
Do not be fooled by the excessively pink cover, this is not a sweet story and the characters do not care to be likeable and cherished by the reader. It’s a wild, wild world and so are the girls in it. I have not read a YA dystopian in over a year, but this one reminded me why I used to actively seek out these types of stories. Because they are messy and ugly and dramatic and despite all that, or maybe because of it, I am fascinated.

In Tierney’s dystopian society, teenage girls are believed to h
Kaceey
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy Sweet Sixteen!

Occasionally I like to really switch things up from my thrillers and read a frightening dystopian novel. Though it’s extremely rare (if ever) that I read something labeled YA. But I was greatly rewarded for stepping outside my little comfort zone! And bluntly put… I WAS BLOWN AWAY!! I was locked in and spellbound from the opening page!
I read this one while on vacation....and all I wanted to do was get back to the room and keep reading! (It was just that good!)

Tierney is en
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for BEST YOUNG ADULT FICTION 2019! what will happen?

this book loves me

but i only consider it a really good friend.

i had been looking forward to reading this like crazy, but i didn't love it as much as everybuddy else, and that makes my readerheart sad.

the premise sounded outstanding: speculative feminist fiction featuring a hyper-patriarchal community in which the fear of female sexuality is so profound that sixteen-year-old girls are rounded up and ex
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I do not even have words. I loved and hated it. The end.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
BernLuvsBooks
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Hauntingly Beautiful, Riveting and Completely Devastating Stars for The Grace Year ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Full RTC but if you haven’t read this one - don’t waste another second - add it to your TBR
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book is one of my biggest disappointments in years. Everyone was talking about how great this was-- it's the YA Hype Train™ in action, yet again, and once more, I'm left behind in the dust to wonder, "Did I read a different book than everyone else?" It's not that I don't trust your judgement, exactly, it's just that-- okay, yeah, I don't trust your judgement. What the fuck was this?

THE GRACE YEAR is a book that borrows ideas and con
Karen
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a page turner .. I enjoyed this dystopian novel set in a colony where every year, sixteen year old girls are sent away into the wilderness for their “grace year” its a time where they are forced to live without much food, water, .. and a lot of danger..all due to the belief that at sixteen their bodies emit a powerful aphrodisiac that must be let go of to later return home and be docile and ready to marry.
Yes, there are comparisons to The Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games, I’ve read b
Elyse  Walters
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Reviews on Goodreads are outrageously enthusiastic.
At least the ones I saw.
So when I received a ‘Read Now’, notice from Netgalley - I thought - what the heck ...
Personally- I’m less enthusiastic about this book - than the reviews I’ve read - yet I can understand the book’s appeal.

This is a quick read: A Young Adult dystopian novel. It’s been compared to “Handmaid’s Tale”, and “Lord of The Flies”, and “The Hunger Games”.
Fair assessment.

Sixteen year-old girls spend a year in the forest in ord
Tatiana
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those looking for a good YA dystopia
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
I got from this book what I hadn't from Wilder Girls, namely, wild girls. The Grace Year is a feminist horror that actually delivers on its premise.

Some other reviews have already pitched this novel as a The Handmaid's Tale/Lord of the Flies/The Hunger Games, and they are absolutely correct.

The story is set in a The Handmaid's Tale-like backward unspecified county where men, of course, had made their paradise by, of course, oppressing women in various ways. One of the methods of this complex sy
Holly  B
I can see why this one is being compared to The Hunger Games.

It has also been compared to some other dystopian novels, but I have only read The Hunger Games.  (which I enjoyed!). There is a wilderness/ fight for your life/ being hunted aspect that is quite terrifying.

This one is YA and focuses on sixteen-year old girls who are banished into the wild to be purified. Insanity, yes.

The world-building is vicious and the worst of human nature comes into play - betrayal, envy, cruel intentions and bru
Deanna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

“No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden.

Sixteen-year-old Tierney James doesn't speak of the grace year but she’s spent a lot of time searching for clues. Unfortunately, she still doesn't know what happens when girls are banished from Garner County for an entire year. But she does see the haunted looks and scarred skin of the gaunt and broken looking women who return from their grace year. The ones who
Monica
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve got to admit, I was skeptical when I first saw this book. I thought it was hard to bring something new to the dystopian, fight for your life, young adult story. But this one completely blew me away!

Although often compared to Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies (feminine version, way scarier!), this book managed to include a lot of survivalist details without letting them weigh down the story. Or distract from the characters and the horrific plight the young women faced.

I was surprised by t
Larry H
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Kim Liggett's upcoming novel The Grace Year feels like a mashup of The Handmaid's Tale and Lord of the Flies , with a little bit of The Hunger Games mixed in for good measure. Yet at the same time, it's an immensely unique and disturbing story all its own.

"They call us the weaker sex. It's pounded into us every Sunday in church, how everything's Eve's fault for not expelling her magic when she had the chance, but I still can't understand why the girls don't get a say. Su
megs_bookrack
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars**

In a Dystopian world, in an area known as The County, girls are banished from their community during their 16th-year. It is believed at that age a girl's true magic will be revealed.

Apparently, these young ladies are so dangerously magical that they threaten to steal husbands from wives, driving the wives crazy with jealousy in the process.

The girls are sent to live together in a fenced-in compound in the woods. Once there they must survive completely on their own, navigating their
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Wow! I'm speechless! It's not often a book leaves me that way, but after reading the final page (several times over!) of The Grace Year, I sat in a trance-like state with tears trickling down my cheeks, trying to wrap my head around this story and message. Hoping to sleep on it, I retired for the night only to toss and turn with scenes and characters from the story haunting my dreams. I arose this morning restless - still trying to find a voice for the raw emotion this book evoked in me, but tel ...more
Debra
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book felt like a mash up of Mean Girls, The Handmaid's Tale and Lord of the Flies

Apparently in Garner County, when girls turn sixteen years old, all things go to hell in a hand-basket - well that is unless they are sent away for their Grace Year You see, these girls are full of magic, suddenly at sixteen years of age, a young woman suddenly has the power to lure men, make women jealous by simply coming into their magic. So before they are sent away for their one year to release their magic
Sara
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Grace Year is The Handmaid's Tale meets Lord of the Flies" is what sold me on this book and it definitely is an accurate comparison.
I was completely absorbed by this story and its world from the first page and its been a long time since I've been as engrossed as i was in a book.

The basic premise is that girls are banished at sixteen to brave the wilderness - and each other - for a year.
It is completely forbidden to speak of the grace year amongst them so no one (including the reader) has
Susanne  Strong
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid of Girls when they turn sixteen years-old and come into their magical powers!

It is “The Grace Year” and once it starts, the girls are banished for a year so that once they discover and then can conquer their magic, those that survive can be married off.

The girls are sent away to isolation, where they must learn to fend for themselves and where it’s survival of the fittest and where some have the mentality of kill or be killed. I’d say to run and run fast, but th
Jonetta
Tierney James has reached 16 years of age, called the grace year in Garner County when young girls must leave for the next year and purge themselves of their magic, which reaches its height and most potent level now. That “magic” is their essence that causes men to be unable to resist them and women to be madly jealous of them. Not all of them are expected to survive and what they’ll face is almost unimaginable.

I struggle with defining when this story is placed and have decided that I’ll just s
Nadia
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, ya
Did you enjoy reading The Hunger Games and The Handmaid's Tale? If so, please let me introduce you to The Grace Year...

Every female in Garner County has to have her hair pulled back from her face and plaited down the back. This is to ensure that women are not hiding anything from men and are free of magic. Girls wear white ribbons until they are 16 and their grace year starts and at that point, the white is replaced with red. Once married, the ribbon takes on the colour black. Innocence - Blood
Jessica
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, teen-novels
I received an ARC of this book for free from The Book Drop. Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

Omg this was a roller coaster of a book.

This book is described as The Handmaid’s Tale meets Lord of the Flies. I haven’t read The Handmaid’s Tale but I loved Lord of the Flies. This was definitely like a female Lord of the Flies. In fact, it was 100 times more terrifying and disturbing than LotF. This book also reminded me a

• Beach Read
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Wives
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Swipe Right for Murder
  • Reverie
  • Such a Fun Age
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Deathless Girls

Kim Liggett, originally from the rural midwest, moved to New York City to pursue a career in the arts. She's the author of Blood and Salt, Heart of Ash, The Last Harvest (Bram Stoker Award Winner), The Unfortunates, and The Grace Year. Kim spends her free time studying tarot and scouring Manhattan for rare vials of perfume and the perfect egg white cocktail.

Articles featuring this book

Prolific fantasy novelist and faerie world cognoscente Holly Black is back with the final installment of her wildly popular The Folk of the Air ser...
“You eyes are wide open, but you see nothing.” 31 likes
“My father always told me that a person is made up of all the little choices they make in life. The choices no one ever sees.” 18 likes