Start by marking “The Furies” as Want to Read:
The Furies

The Furies

This page-turning, harrowing debut is the story of a girl trying to fit in, whose obsessive new friends and desperation to belong leads her to places she'd never imagined...dark, dangerous, and possibly even violent.

In 1998, a sixteen-year-old girl is found dead.

She's posed on a swing on her boarding school's property, dressed all in white, with no known cause of death. W
Published October 8th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Furies, please sign up.
Kate Lakie It is about the Furies - the main characters are encouraged to become like them and take vengeance on the men who have wronged them. But it is left fo…moreIt is about the Furies - the main characters are encouraged to become like them and take vengeance on the men who have wronged them. But it is left for the reader to decide whether the girls achieve this through witchcraft or through murder... (less)

Start your review of The Furies
megs_bookrack
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars**

A teenage girl found dead, her body posed on a swing set on the grounds of a prestigious private school. So, the mystery begins.

Fun, right?

Our protagonist, Violet, tells of her days at the school and the events leading up to the mysterious death.

You grab your popcorn and settle in for what is sure to be an intense murder mystery and then it's just not...

There was so much about this book that should have worked for me. It was described as being set at a private school in a sleepy, co
Meredith
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

“Some things simply cannot be believed. Even when you know they’re true.”

The Furies is a slow-burn psychological thriller about four teenage girls who long for power. Through the study of art, mythology, and ancient witchcraft, they believe they found their voices. However, rather than uses these elements as a guide, they use them to seek vengeance.

When Violet, a teenage outcast, starts attending an elite school, she isn’t looking to make friends. Having suffered the shock of losing her fat
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!

The Secret History via Megan Abbott for a YA audience, The Furies is about teengirl rage and the revenge it engenders; a story of "…the brutal power of female friendship, of those secrets women share between themselves, in those moments men are too blind to see.”

female rage novels are, if you will permit me, all the rage right now, and, being a fan of ‘girls gone wild’ stories, i could not be happier. this one is dark and damaged and gritty and sharp, and it’s what i had hoped th
Jaidee
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angry schoolgirls and those that fear them
Recommended to Jaidee by: Elaine Mullane || At Home in Books
Shelves: five-stars-books
5 "vicious, intelligent, sensual" stars !!!

A warm thank you to GR friend Elaine M. whose wonderful review led me to this gem of a debut novel. Thanks also to PinkAmy who had a verydifferent experience of this book than my own but also enticed me to read this book pronto.

I was then fortunate to find this book on Netgalley and want to thank them, the author and St. Martin's Press for an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was blown away by this first novel by Ms. Katie Lowe. The book exp
Robin
This was kinda icky. And not in a good way. Don't get me wrong, I do love ick, but maybe I don't love YA ick. I don't love for-the-sake-of-it manhating ick, either, which is what this felt like to me. I need my ick to be deep, inky black pools you could drown in. So deep they reach your subconscious, making you think and despair and sometimes elicit a subversive cackle of delight.

Four unlikable students who are chosen for a special, exclusive class by a wise, witchy teacher (sounds like The Secr
Deanna
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019-releases
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Although I’m not big into witches or witchcraft etc., I was still really intrigued by this books description.

In 1998 a sixteen-year-old girl was found dead on the grounds of Elm Hollow Academy, an all-girls boarding school. She was dressed in white and posed sitting upright on a swing. No one knows exactly what caused her death. Not a single clue was left. It was as if her heart just stopped.

Violet’s father and younger sist
jv poore
Theoretically, it may be a bit easier to handle the aftermath of a tragedy if someone close suffers the same horror. Certainly, an adolescent girl could expect her mother to understand and to bear the burden with her. Vivian’s mom does know the shock, the overwhelming ache of emptiness. It’s almost as if she found a way to absorb it. Vivian no longer sees her mom, there is only a hollow shell where the warm, caring soul should still be.

Perhaps Vivian, too, would have just faded away, if not for
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an okay read for me. I don't particularly like it much where Violet seems to be smart but do dumb things. She doesn't question why but follows blindly after Robin in her desperate need to have friends. The story for the most part, follows a 16 years old Violet but occasionally the story change it up to "as I look back" as if indicating that Violet is older and looking back to her first weeks of high school. There was no indication that the story was going to be told as a look back t ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
A sixteen-year-old-girl is found dead in a swing at her boarding school. It’s 1998. No one knows how she died. Rumors light up and spread like wildfire.

Well, actually, a few know what happened, but they aren’t talking. One student is particularly distraught.

Violet is a new student at the boarding school, Elm Hollow Academy, just one year earlier. Violet needs a new start, and this will be it; leaving her past behind. Like any other teen, she desperately wants to fit in though she’s a bit awkward
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

A high-school mystery full of suspense. A murder, a questionable friendship and witchcraft. The Furies is a modern take of all witchcraft legends and curses!

When a teenage girl is found dead, sitting on a swing, with no clues of how the death occurred, we are set up to trust no one from the very beginning. The story begins with Violet, who start the story from the very beginning, until finally leading us to how and why this murder happened.
C.G. Drews
sometimes you just need a book to show up whispering dark academia and murder and The Furies is here for that. The tagline was a bit of: obsession, witchcraft, murder. And holy shit thank you so much for this gift? It's set in an all-girls school and its maddeningly twisted and introspective, full of complex and possessive friendships (i stand by the fact that all four girls were queer), and deliciously dark twists.

It has a lot of classics analysation though, which did leave me face down on the
Tammy
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, there is a dead student. Yes, there are four girls attending a private school. Yes, the loner is brought into the fold. Yes, they are misfits and chosen by their teacher for private instruction about the witchy history surrounding their school and the accompanying mythology. Yes, they attempt rituals, spells or what have you. Look a little closer and what this book is really about is feminine rage, unrealized female potential (and aggression when violated or wronged). I thoroughly enjoyed t ...more
Dannii Elle
The Secret History meets Girls on Fire meets The Graces.

"It seems that women are doomed to two fates. It is our lot to either be seen as unpredictable and irrational mortals, maligned and repressed by the actions of men; or sacred beings, goddesses of higher realm, among the Fates and Furies."

The Furies is yet another YA novel that focuses on the potential toxicity of female friendships. Quite honestly, those are all my buzzwords and I will devour anything on the topic, no matter how many seemi
Blair
(4.5) In a run-down seaside town somewhere in England lives Violet, an unhappy and isolated 16-year-old. She is the only survivor of a car crash that killed her father and little sister; in the aftermath, her mother withdraws into a numb state of grief, barely able to function. Violet's only desire is to escape. But a huge insurance settlement opens a different kind of door: Violet is to study for her A Levels at a private girls' school, Elm Hollow Academy.

There, she meets the girls who will be
Phrynne
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
This one was a bit half and half for me. There were things I enjoyed and things I did not but I still became totally engrossed in reading it especially when events speeded up in the later chapters.

I found the main characters to be a mixed bunch. Violet desperately needed to learn the word 'no' and Robin was just awful. Grace and Alex appeared to be more mature but they also had hidden depths! Much of the book was about girls being mean to girls which was a bit obvious and unpleasant. I also thou
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
DNF... I never give up on a book! This one started out as a slow burn so I turned to reviewers I could trust. Upon hearing there was an an “incident” with a cat... I am out. Too many books, too little time for that.

Thank you to the fantastic and generous St. Martin’s Press for this ARC. It just wasn’t for me😕
Tammie
The Furies was a solid 3 stars.
The book centers around main character Violet-a teenager who attends Elm Hollow Academy (a private school for girls that was the site for the 17th century witch trials) soon after the death of her father and sister. While at the academy, Violet joins a study group with three other girls under the tutelage of Ms. Annabel-things definitely take off from there.
The Furies is a well-written and unique book that involves murder, magic, toxic friendships, and rituals amo
Frank Phillips
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Goodness, this was one heavy, dark, depressing story! At first I hated it, and thought the writing was extremely hard to follow, then the further I got the more interested and intrigued I became. I listened to this on audiobook, and most likely missed a lot of crucial small details (and boy was this a book you needed to pay close attention to!), so I was a bit confused at the end and why our protagonist Violet did what she did (don't want to spoil anything so that's all i'll say) so I'll probabl ...more
Katie B
I stepped a bit out of my reading comfort zone for this one and even though this wasn't a complete winner for me, I am glad I read it. Initially I had been concerned how much witchcraft was going to play in the story as that's not something I'm typically all that interested in. However, there really was a lot going on in the story besides that so I do believe this book has the potential to appeal to a wide variety of readers.

So the book starts off with the narrator talking about how years ago a
Liz Barnsley
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this. Without doubt the best book I’ve read featuring toxic female friendship since “Girls on Fire” – The Furies is haunting, evocative and sits in your head, that underlying sense of menace and anticipation resonates throughout.
Violet desperately wants friendship, even as she tells herself she doesn’t need it, so when she is befriended by the enigmatic and edgy Robin and drawn into a circle of secrets and lies, she will do anything to protect it. Darkness and obsession, fatal ties and d
Ingstje
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I don’t hit it off with a novel right away – if I’m not feeling ‘it’ – it’ll be difficult to turn that feeling around and, unfortunately, that’s what happened when I started reading The Furies. The fact is that for some reason I didn’t take in some of the narrative in certain paragraphs and I had to go back and reread parts of the story. I believe the reason for this could be because of the lyrical and descriptive writing style and the plot didn’t really capture my attention after the – I mus ...more
Emma
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
As an exploration of girls gone bad, this does a decent job, but it feels like an echo. It's been done before and better. Definitely more The Craft than The Secret History, the book struggled to hit the depth of character or theme necessary for it to be truly absorbing. The characters were light: Violet's voice held little attraction, overwhelmed by the darker threads of her new best friend, Robin, and the others are straight out of every teen drama you've ever seen/read. The problem is that it' ...more
Susan
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are lots of novel with similar themes to this. An elite school, strange cliques of girls, and, as we know from the beginning, a death. It has been done before, but I have a weakness for novels about schools, female friendships and so those words do pull me in, however hard I try to resist.

It feels to Violet as though her life is put on hold after the death of her father, and sister, in an accident. Her mother seems unable to move beyond her grief and, taking advantage of her disinterest, s
San
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I was really looking forward to reading book The Furies as synopsis sounded really interesting. Unfortunately story didn't live up to my expectations.
Main character, Violet, is a new girl at school and is looking for the way to fit in. She joins special study group where art teacher tells them the story about the founder of the school. Because of that girls starts to practice witchcraft but things get out of control.
I had hard time to get into book and characters were a little flat for me.
Thank
Louise Wilson
In 1998 a sixteen year old girl is found dead on school property, dressed in white and posed on a swing, with no known cause of death. Violet, looking back on the night it happened from the present day, before returning to relate the series of events leading up to the girls murder. After a accident involving her dad and sister, Violet joins Elm Hollow Academy, a private girls school in a quiet coastal town, which has an unpleasant history as the site of famous 17th century witch trials. Violet b ...more
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
I'll say it: I think this book was woefully mismarketed, with tragic consequences. Tipped as a thriller novel, THE FURIES is anything but. It disappointed many people who came in expecting something else, something they didn't find, and the true audience didn't find it right away - or still haven't found it at all.

THE FURIES is not a thriller. It is female-focused dark academia.

THE FURIES is only as much a thriller as THE SECRET HISTORY is. Both are slow, unwinding novels. Both shed layers of n
Dennis
Typical YA novel, with a paranormal witchcraft undertones, The Furies will entertain those who enjoy Pretty Little Liars and Charmed. Katie Lowe's debut novel will have a strong following, but I didn't enjoy the story as much as I wanted to.

The Furies centers around Violet, a teenage girl sent to prestigious Elm Hollow Academy, and her interactions with her classmates. She immediately befriends a group of girls and her art teacher Annabel. As Violet's involvement with this new group of
Kendall
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unpopular opinion alert

I really was looking forward to diving into this book. It took me way to long to finish this book because I struggled so much. I almost had to force myself certain times to keep reading :(.

The characterization was extremely weak in my opinion and this story centers around that! Ugh... no thank you. The story borders on what am I reading to what the heck?

I was expecting The Craft vibes with the witchcraft but this was NOTHING like that. I don't think I was the right read
Sheila
2 stars--it was OK. Warnings for sexual assault.

The good: This book is set in a girls' school, which I love, and includes a small secret society of students that study women in Classic literature. Awesome! It has a touch of the supernatural, and the overall theme--unstable, witchy teenage girls getting revenge on the (mostly) men who wronged them--is fascinating. Also, this is a quick read.

The bad: If you want to read about girls' toxic friendships, Megan Abbott does it better. If you're interes
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you SO much to St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own!

The Furies by Katie Lowe is an atmospheric read set in a small coastal town at the end of the line. All the lines. Literally. It seems like a very depressed area that has a history of witch hunts and unexplained deaths/murders. At the heart is a school for girls, where Violet is a new student and she ends up falling in with an odd group of girls that are part of a secret s

• The Dead Girls Club
  • Full Circle: From Hollywood to Real Life and Back Again
  • The Poison Garden
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Something Wicked (Something Wicked, #1)
  • Taltuta klassikko!
  • The Last Affair
  • In Her Eyes
  • In the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Echoes Between Us
  • A Thousand Ships
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • The Nobody People
  • The Warlow Experiment
  • Auringon pimeä puoli
  • The Grey Sisters
  • Catherine House
Katie is a writer living in Worcester, UK. Her first novel, THE FURIES - a story of witchcraft and murder at a British private school in the 1990s - was published in 2019 in the UK, US, and 8 other territories, receiving positive reviews in The Times, The Guardian, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus, who described the novel as an "elegant, pitch-perfect coming-of-age story."

Her second novel, POSSESSION