Start by marking “Seven Letters” as Want to Read:
Seven Letters

Seven Letters

J. P. Monninger, author of the international bestseller The Map That Leads to You, the novel Nicholas Sparks called “romantic and unforgettable", tells a poignant love story of the ways the world divides two souls—and the way that love brings them together.

Kate Moreton is in Ireland on sabbatical from her teaching position at Dartmouth College when she meets Ozzie Ferriter
Published October 8th 2019 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Seven Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Letters

Start your review of Seven Letters
Carole
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
Seven Letters by J.P. Monninger is a love story that spans New Hampshire, Ireland and Canada. Although I am usually not a romance reader, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The author’s previous work drew me to this one. Kate Moreton, a professor at Dartmouth in New Hampshire is on a sabbatical in Ireland where she plans on studying and writing a book about the Blaskey Islands. She is soon introduced to Ozzie Ferriter, a fisherman and war veteran. The attraction soon turns to love and plans are ma ...more
Larry H
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of those books you devour but you don’t want it to end.

"There’s no cure for love but to love more."

Kate, on sabbatical from her teaching position at Dartmouth, travels to Ireland to do research for her doctoral dissertation about the Blasket Islands, a remote part of the country that the government migrated everyone away from years ago.

Shortly after arriving she meets Ozzie, the immensely handsome, part Irish-part American grandson of a woman she met on her journey. Ozzie is intense, mercuri
Erin
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Jordan Hanley of St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Here I go again! Reading a book that won't be published for many months, but I fell into temptation. See I read J.P. Monniger's The Map that Leads to You in 2017 and that book abruptly knocked me off my feet and melted my cynical heart. Forgive me ARCs of April and May, I will read many of you this long weekend!

Synopsis: Irish-American professor, Kate Mereton heads to Ireland, res
Ann-Marie
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I knew when I picked this book up I was going to get "all the feels" from it, and what's more I was going to let it happen. That says a lot. I don't do romance novels. I read them on occasion, but I keep my emotional distance.

My life has had all the romance it can handle, with the resulting joy, the pain of loss, the nostalgia, the growth, all of it. I don't want to read it. I've lived it. I already had the best life and love could give. It's not going to come for me again, not at my time of li
Alexandria
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not typically the genre I go for but I had the chance to read this and I'm so glad I did. I was totally drawn in by the setting, Ireland's just one of those magical places I always want to read about. The story was romantic and heart wrenching at times. It's one of those stories where you're literally pages from the end thinking despite everything it's ending one way but then you're surprised. If romance is your genre I definitely recommend giving this a read and even if it isn't if you were int ...more
Laura Rash
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an incredibly moving book. All about love and loss in a unique story that I literally couldn’t put down.
Lisa Aiello
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
And now comes the hard part. Finding the words for a review. I enjoyed this book tremendously, but not in the traditional sense. It was slow - much more a character driven story. The writing was phenomenal. I could see every sight clearly. I could taste the sea air. I could feel the chill in the air. This is the story of Kate, who ends up in Ireland to write a research thesis (or dissertation, or one of the college-y things). She ends up meeting some pretty amazing characters, Ozzie being one of ...more
Jamie Rosenblit
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I think the time has come for me to accept that JP Monninger is probably not an author for me. Years ago, I loved this style of book (very Nicholas Sparks-esque on the romance scale - another writer who I've also given up on in recent years) but these sad, troubled, drawn out romances just don't work for me anymore. Monninger is a beautiful writer and his books certainly reflect that, but the plot and pacing unfortunately lose me.

There are many romance readers who loved this book and I know I am
Sharon Metcalf
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seven Letters was a contemporary love story and I thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in J.P. Monninger's words.   I was captivated from the outset and remained engrossed throughout this tale with its themes of love, loss and regrets.   It was a story of self evaluation, reflection and ultimately of hope and redemption.

Kate Moreton, the central character, was beginning a 12 month research project for her dissertation centred on the Blasket Islands off the south west coast of Ireland.    Not only
Hristina
You can also read this review on my blog illbefinealonereads.

A huge thanks to St. Martin's Press for the chance to be a part of this blog tour.

As you might know by now, the mere mention of Ireland is enough for me to be highly interested in a book. This time however, it wasn’t only that, it was also my prior experience with J.P. Monninger’s writing that had me excited to pick up Seven Letters.
I loved the story it had to offer. It had a few twists in it, but it was heartwarming. I thought it was
Cyndi Becker
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be still my heart! So many words to describe how I felt while reading this book, after reading this book. Maybe beguiled, captivated, charmed, mesmerized. This book spoke to my heart, to my very own fascination with Ireland and reminded me of my LONG AGO trek to this enchanting land. It reminded me of what I wanted to be when I grew up, a historian. A dream set aside for the practicality of life. But I have no regrets and now J.P. Monninger has shared this GEM of a story, I felt as though I live ...more
Robin Loves Reading
In this touching story by J. P. Monninger, Kate Moreton Has taken a sabbatical and is visiting Ireland. She is a New Englander and what she hopes to accomplish on this trip brings her a mixture of joy and sadness.

When Kate first meets Ozzie Ferriter, a fisherman there, and also a man that is a war veteran, he touches her heart. However Ozzie has an innate sadness that love cannot even conquer.

Ozzie and Kate spent an idyllic time together but things eventually fall apart. Kate feels she has no ch
Amy (TheSouthernGirlReads)
Welp, I am stumped.

I am going to start by saying I am giving this book three and a half stars. I enjoyed it.

Was it the best thing I have ever read....no. You might ask, why is that Amy? I don't know. I truly don't know.

*The setting was lovely.
*The characters were explained well.
*I liked the characters.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I did not, however fall in love with the story.
I also did not enjoy the ending it wrapped u
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic copy of this novel On August 4, 2019, from Netgalley, J. P. Monninger, and St. Martins Press - Griffin. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this novel of my own volition, and this review reflects my honest personal opinion of this work. This is a book I will want to read again, by an author I will follow.

Kate Moreton is a member of the teaching staff at Dartmouth working on her dissertation, a close family history of the settlement of the B
T. Rosado

4.75 Stars!!

A number of years ago I randomly picked up a book called Whippoorwill and started reading while waiting for a friend. That friend's appearance was the only reason I set it down. I had been immediately drawn into the fabulous writing and since then, I've made it a habit to read each new release by this author. I haven't been disappointed yet.

After reading the blurb, I knew that I was going to fall in love with Seven Letters, but I hadn't realized how much. I was taken in by the beauti
Nancy Baker
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-goodreads
First of all, there is Irish in our family so for that sake, I thoroughly enjoyed the story that of Irish heritage, culture and scenery. The story had a very calming peaceful vibe to it. This is a romance (not my normal genre of reading) but I almost felt it more of a romance or love affair with the land and its history, than a love story between people.

Like the ferries that transport the visitors to the Blasket Islands, I got swept up in the ebb and flow of the story and longed for more histor
CrowGirl13
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally one to read romance novels but the setting of Ireland made me sign up for the giveaway on goodreads and I won. It really does make you think about choices you thought you made for reasons that seemed right for a future and career and the luckiness to be given a second chance. I really loved the whole book and can understand the drive to search for any answer when it comes to looking for them during a period of grief. This book is one that will stay with me for years to come.
Angela
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an arc, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. J. P. Monninger's writing is truly beautiful and poetic. I could visualize Kate and Ozzie's Ireland, and their adventures at sea while falling deeper in love with these characters who are impulsive and spontaneous. This is a story of love and youth, trusting your instincts, and spending so much time in your own head, that you don't see the real treasure that is right in front of you until you lose it.
Janis Rich
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely phenomenal book. The descriptions of Ireland are beautiful, far better than many I have read from other popular authors. The story of Kate, the main character, takes many twists and turns as she grows into a true adult. This was my first book by J. P. Monninger but I am definitely going to get her previous one.
Nicola Short
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
How to explain this story? Truly a unusual story...as I was reading this, I actually wasn’t sure what to make of it. Lots of sadness and heartache but, also, lots of love and hope.
I loved the descriptions of the scenery and the love between Kate and Ozzie. At times the story seems to just stall and then it would jump forward in time.
Overall, I enjoyed the book but it didn’t wow me.
Dana
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was a bit disappointed in JP Monninger's "Seven Letters" after devouring "The Map That Leads to You." The writing itself, is poetic and beautiful, but the plot, at times, pushed credulity and seemed contrived. Still, because every sentence was pitch perfect and gorgeous, I kept reading. It's set in Ireland, where the young female protagonist travels to write a book, taking time from her teaching at Dartmouth College. While in Ireland, she meets a cast of characters, one of whom is destined to ...more
Michelle
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Seven Letters is largely set in Ireland and is about an American working on her dissertation about the Blasket Islands in Ireland falling in love with a broken fisherman who is battling ghosts from having served in Afghanistan. The book is broken up by letters interspersed between chapters.

I adored the theory of this book but the purple prose and awkward dialogue between Kate and Ozzie made me struggle to fully connect. I loved the landscape as it played an important role in this book.
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
I received this book free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This was a decent story. Fairly likable characters (and who doesn’t love the name Gottfried for a dog?). A fairly quick read. My only complaints? Sometimes there are skips of large chunks of time which you don’t immediately realize until you come across something that wouldn’t make sense otherwise. Also, the end seemed to wrap up too quickly and too tidily. A lot of build up and BOOM it was over.
Autumn
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate Moreton came to Ireland for more than just to complete the research needed for her dissertation. She also wants to discover more about her father’s early life before his family made their way to America.

His death left her feeling set adrift and she thought she would find answers and maybe even a tiny bit of solace on the Blasket Islands. But instead, she finds a man who is as beautiful and isolated as the Islands themselves.

Life for Ozzie Ferriter wasn’t always so peaceful. He returned to
Betty
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: st-martins
Beautifully written romance story – and I am not a big fan of romances. The story itself did not grab me but I did enjoy the beautiful descriptions of Ireland and its Blasket Islands. While reading the descriptions I just had to do an image search online to see it for myself.

Kate Moreton goes to Ireland on sabbatical from Dartmouth College. As soon as she arrives in Ireland she meets Ozzie Ferriter, a fisherman and a veteran of the American war in Afghanistan. There are immediate sparks between
Maria Ryan
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kate Moreton is a Dartmouth PhD student on an academic career path. She is on sabbatical from her teaching position at Dartmouth to research the indigenous people, especially the women, of Blaskett Island off of Ireland’s southwest coast. She is there strictly for research and writing her dissertation or so she says. She is set up in an apartment on her visiting college campus along with a library carrel in which to do her work when she isn’t out in the field. Kate shows up all business but a ch ...more
Shelley
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Ireland was already on my bucket list of travel destinations, but after reading this captivating story, I would love nothing more than to drop my obligations, pack my bags, and hop on a flight.

Seven Letters was truly a lovely story. J.P. Monninger gave such great detail about Ireland and the Blasket Islands that I felt as though I was right there with Kate, feeling the wind in my face and smelling the salty sea air.

Kate Moreton was fulfilling a dream of researching the Blasket Islands. Taking a
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Kate Moreton is a professor at Darthmouth. She is writing about her Irish heritage as a part of her doctoral dissertation and decides to take the semester and spend it in Ireland to do the research she needs to do on the Blasket Islands and the people who used to live there. What she isn't expecting is to fall in love with the place as well as a certain American who also lives there, Ozzie Ferriter. Their romance is fast paced. Will their love be able to last over the oceans or will one of them ...more
Melanie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seven Letters is a beautiful love story; one that is not all puppy dogs and roses, but is raw and real. The relationship between Kate and Ozzie is intense and emotional, and I could not help but get drawn in and yearn to read more. Monninger has such a brilliant talent with words and telling a story, as well as an amazing ability to provide such detailed and colorful descriptions of the Ireland landscapes, dialect, and spot-on characters! I loved reading these descriptive scenes and could almost ...more
Miriam Meza
This was my first time reading this author, and one the things I loved the most about the experience was to be surprised by the strong narrative voice, the fantastic writing and the story itself. The descriptive level took me to a beautiful place because it wasn’t hard to feel I was there with the characters, witnessing their story unfold. And what a story, my friends.
Kate goes to Ireland to write a thesis and ends up falling deeply and madly in love with Ozzie, and they quickly built a bubble,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Paris Library
  • An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice
  • Crazy in Love (Weston-High-Reihe, #1)
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Pursuit
  • A Million Dreams
  • Spy
  • Moral Compass
JP MONNINGER, author of The Map that Leads to You, is an award-winning writer. He has published novels for adults and teens and three works of nonfiction. The New York Times Book Review has said of Monninger that he “comes to writing with his five sense wide open”. His work has appeared in American Heritage, Scientific American, Readers Digest, Glamour, Playboy, Story, Fiction, The Boston Globe, S ...more