Start by marking “Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career” as Want to Read:
Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career

Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career

The pursuit of happiness is all about finding our purpose. We don't want to just go to work and build someone else's dream, we want to do our life's work. But how do we find out what we're supposed to contribute? What are those key ingredients that push those who succeed to launch their ideas high into the sky, while the rest of us remain stuck on the ground?

Don't Keep
Published November 12th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion Into Your Career
Dec 31, 2019 added it
Shelves: non-fiction, arc
I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that this is a business book, and not just intended to help navigate your practical realities with your other passions, but that’s me. For instance, I personally was distracted by the little picture of pointe shoes on the cover. Not just any pointe shoes but Gaynor Mindens, which are the shoes I currently wear! (Either they’re Gaynors or they’re just wrong – all pointe shoes have drawstrings that you tie at the top, except for Gaynors which you ...more
Janet
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Featured in the #1 spot in 2019 "Get Motivated" podcasts on Apple Podcasts • Nominated for a Webby Award for Best Business Podcast

From the creator of the #1 podcast "Don't Keep Your Day Job," an inspiring book about turning your passion into profit

The pursuit of
Buy_the_book
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was delighted to receive a galley of Don't Keep Your Day Jon from #netgalley. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the book. Reading about others success in following their passions was inspiring to read, but the book doesn't motivate me. If the purpose was to read about how others have followed their passion was the goal, then the book succeeded. The book is unrealistic for the regular person. Following your passion is great, but we must be realistic while doing so. There is great advice in the ...more
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I received an advance review copy through Netgalley; all opinions are my own and honest.

DNF @ 51%

There are some interesting ideas, a few of which are even original and insightful, but the bubbly writing honestly made me feel exhausted (maybe it reflects the podcast's style? I wouldn't know) and some of the "advice" was a little too out there for me:

After all, what you seek is seeking you.

So the writing isn't the best, and the anecdotes / examples were hard to take at face value when I
Elliott
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truth is hard to take sometimes. It's far easier to criticize others' work than it is to get in the arena & do the hard work of building your life into the life you choose & love. This book is full of truths. Some are really hard to deal with because they require us to do the tough work on ourselves, on our perspective, on our choices, on our passion(s).

Some of this book will delight & inspire you, and yet other parts will be a call to action in your own life. Some of it will give
Genevieve Trono
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't Keep Your Day Job appealed to me as someone who has turned my hobby of portrait photography into a career in a more unique way. I now worked a digital photo editor for other photographers which has allowed me to use the parts of photography I really enjoy without going the more traditional route of having my own portrait photography business.

Don't Keep Your Day Job really resonated with me in so many ways. The book was super engaging and read like a Jen Sincero book which, I personally,
Reena-William Watts
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good! It's incredible how Cathy broke through her fears and is now living the life of her dreams. She is inspiring so many to do the work they love. I read the first two chapters to my 11-year-old son and it sparked a lovely conversation between the two of us. I completely believe in getting messy and starting before you are ready. Do something every day that scares you!
Carey’s Reviews
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
3 Stars! This book is a little inspirational but also a bit depressing too! I liked all the inspirational stories of people that turned their passions into their career, but it also made me feel like I haven’t done my best in life since my dream career is still just that... a dream! If you’re looking for real guidance and steps to follow, this isn’t the book you want. Maybe it gets better though- I didn’t finish the whole book.
*I received this book to read and review at no charge from the
Toni
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

This book might say “ don’t keep your day job,” but it isn’t telling you to quit your current job. It suggests that you “try out” your new endeavor and when the time feels right to quit your day job. Do that. Don’t quit your job before you know if your idea is going to sell and make you money.

This is a very inspiring book based on a podcast series created by Cathy Heller. There are a few workbook questions to answer but not really enough to get any of us to bound forward in our
Sara
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, since I’m in love with Cathy’s podcast, I expected to like her book, but I also thought it would likely be redundant for podcast listeners. I bought it as a thank you to Cathy and received an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. I’m still working through it, but so far I have been so pleasantly surprised! It’s definitely not a rehash of the same content from the show, but it enhances it so well! Reading it has felt like watching the pilot episode to a grand adventure where I’ ...more
FelicityRose
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think this book was published under the wrong genre.

It says it will help your career/ how to manage/ build your dream job into reality ..

But it's more of an "Inspirational" book or Hope speech telling you you CAN have your dream job ..not HOW to..

So it wasn't helpful to me.
Katie
Jan 08, 2020 added it
I listened to this on audio- the best part is it really motivates you to start projects before they’re going to be perfect. If you need a good kick to make the beta version of your thing, definitely check this one out.
There’s a few weird chapters about like being afraid of money which is not a problem for me! I think money is just fine, just putting that into the universe!
Alicia Bayer
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn't find this book as inspirational as I'd hoped. The people profiled pretty much gave up their lives 24/7 and went to extreme lengths for years in order to make a living in the fields they desired, but at such an extent that I guess I would prefer to keep my day job and just do my passion on the side if I needed to go to the same lengths. :) I actually found it more depressing than motivating. My own passions are writing and mothering (okay, along with a hundred other things), and I've ...more
June
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ng
There are a lot of self-help/ career advice books on the market, plus a constant stream of positive, inspirational web content on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. I have about 10 unread Muse emails right now, as a matter of fact. So a book would have to be really special to set itself apart. This book really does not.

The author tells you her story pretty much right off the bat, plus brings in some other successful people. Yet there's a bit of tone-deafness and maybe a lack of
Andy J.
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cathy Heller knows about career breakthrough. Anyone would be ultra blessed to have the kind of career breakthroughs she has strategically orchestrated for herself. But this book is about more than that. This book is a risky beautiful leap on Heller's part because it's her real heart and her real path and everything she really believes in. Although I'm often scared to boldly share my opinions on "walking your path" as Cathy does here, the ideas in this book really affirm so much of my experience ...more
Mel Poole
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley.

I was not familiar with the Don't Keep Your Day Job podcast prior to reading this book. I have listened to a few episodes since. Listeners of the podcast will be familiar with the tone and structure of each chapter. It is very similar to the way episodes are formatted. Heller uses a very conversational tone and often talks about her journey as a music writer, consultant, and motivator. Some of the information is redundant, especially
Denise Sadler Gray
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting, inspirational book for anyone who is trying to find their passion or feeling a little uninspired in their day to day life. I really enjoyed reading about how others built their success by finding their passion.

The author alternates between stories, inspiring quotes and short activities. This made the book interesting and impactful. I really enjoyed reading this book.

I received an ARC copy of this book and have provided my honest review.
Nicole H.
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting. Very interesting. Unless its about archaic history or dead languages or mythology, I don't typically read nonfiction ... but I was drawn to this book for some reason and I'm ultimately glad that I took a chance on it. Now ... will I ow it in hardback? Paperback? Probably not. The ebook version will suffice because while I liked it, it wasn't mind-alteringly good and I'll probably never reread it.

That being said, I feel a little wiser and ready to make a move toward stabilizing my
Shari Suarez
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cathy Heller is a songwriter and she has a podcast with the same name of the book. I was worried that this book would be another generic self-help book or geared more towards Millennials and Gen-Z. I was pleasantly surprised to find that neither was true.
This book will fire you up to find what you're passionate about and do something that you love. There are interviews with people from many different worlds as well as journal prompts at the end of each chapter that are very helpful.
Laura Samson
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This woman has changed my life in more ways than one. Started her podcasts in January and have listened almost every day since. I have gained confidence back within myself and have noticed a dramatic change in my overall outlook on life.
This book is no different except it’s more of a “guide” - something in black and white to refer back to....in case you need a reminder that you have what it takes to kick ass- just forge forward!
Delanie Fischer
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cathy's wisdom and passion comes through in this book. She truly cares about helping people and she has brilliant ideas. Great read!
Malligal
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Full disclosure, while reading Don’t Keep Your Day Job, I was also reading another self-help book about unlocking creativity and potential. The second book was written by someone I adore and idolize and I found myself comparing the two often. That being said, my opinion on Don’t Keep Your Day Job may have changed slightly had I not been reading a similar book that I found much more entertaining. So I guess, take all of my feedback with a grain of salt…

Don’t Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your
Ricky Johnson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been a regular listener of Cathy Heller's Don't Keep Your Day Job podcast over the past two years. The desire to quit my day job and satisfy my entrepreneurial spirit has been in me for a very long time. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of self doubt, which has kept me from diving in completely...that is, until now! This book is the final piece of the puzzle and has given me the confidence to push harder than ever to turn my passion into a career. The book is very motivational and helped me ...more
Danica
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Here is my upfront disclaimer: I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review of its contents. (I also pre-ordered several copies to give as gifts – not free).

Don't Keep Your Day Job is an inspirational, encouraging, and, most importantly, actionable, guide on how to build the life you want by not only pursuing, but monetizing, your passion.

This book addresses the common problems of: not knowing what your passion is; impostor syndrome (not feeling like you're qualified);
J. Parkins
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an avid listener of the Don't Keep Your Day Job podcast, I was thrilled to get the opportunity to read an ARC of Cathy Heller's book from the publisher. Don't Keep Your Day Job is a fabulous combination of insightful tips, inspirational tidbits, and practical applications to help anyone along their journey to follow their passions.

In January 2018, I was introduced to Cathy's podcast by a dear friend in my Mastermind group after discussing how stuck I felt in a stressful day job. I had been
Andrea
More reviews and book-ish content @ Club Book Mobile & Andrea RBK

Don't Keep Your Day Job: How to Turn Your Passion into Your Career by Cathy Heller was a look at how to turn the stuff you love into a job. It's based off a podcast of the same name, but I hadn't listened before. That said, I plan on listening now that I know the spin and information available! This book was just a really good pep talk for me. I liked how it was a blend of advice, experience, and action steps. It was a summary
Maya Lila
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is *SO MUCH GOOD* packed into this book. Cathy Heller is the "go for your dreams AND make money while you do it" cheerleader you didn't know you always needed. She counteracts what you were probably taught by your parents - that you can't make a living doing art/baking/podcast/whatever it is you truly enjoy, your silly ideas won't amount to much, you need a stable job with health insurance, only the lucky/charmed/born rich make it big - and she tells you not only that you CAN but HOW. I've ...more
Sarah Schroeder
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of the book for an honest review.

I was interested in the book because I love the podcast that the author has. The interviews she does on the podcast are interesting, and help people who want to start a business, or try to commit to it full time find focus and motivation.

However, it was difficult to feel equally motivated by the book. There were snippets that I thoroughly enjoyed, especially in the interviews, however found it so piece-mealed that it made it difficult for
Carol
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This review is based on an advanced review copy that I received from NetGalley and the publisher.

I really wanted to like this book. It sounded like it was exactly the type of book I was looking for to motivate me to take some steps to grow my side interests into something more. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

The author, and many of the people used as examples in the book, are not normal, everyday people who struggle from paycheck to paycheck. Most, if not all, were successful individuals who
Alyssa Hittle
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is for anybody who has felt lost or like nobody sees them. It is also for anyone who has wondered if there is more to life than the same old plan you were sold as a kid....go to college, get a job and then work the next 40 years for someone else. Cathy is here to tell you that there IS something more. She believes that the opposite of depression isn't happiness, it's purpose-and this book is her guide to helping you find yours. Packed full of advice from people who have already taken ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Embrace Your Weird: Face Your Fears and Unleash Creativity
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Do It Scared: Finding the Courage to Face Your Fears, Overcome Adversity, and Create a Life You Love
  • Boss Up!: This Ain’t Your Mama’s Business Book
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD
  • Special Delivery (Always Satisfied #5)
  • How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Stories That Stick: How Storytelling Can Captivate Customers, Influence Audiences, and Transform Your Business
  • Unfu*k Yourself Workbook
  • When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
  • Choose Wonder Over Worry: Move Beyond Fear and Doubt to Unlock Your Full Potential
  • Landon & Shay: Part One (L&S Duet, #1)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • The Shape of Night
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #18)