Start by marking “Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)

Out of the Dark

(Orphan X #4)

When darkness closes in―he's your last, best hope. Evan Smoak returns in Gregg Hurwitz's #1 international bestselling Orphan X series.

Taken from a group home at age twelve, Evan Smoak was raised and trained as part of the Orphan Program, an off-the-books operation designed to create deniable intelligence assets―i.e. assassins. Evan was Orphan X. He broke with the Program,
Mass Market Paperback, 453 pages
Published November 26th 2019 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Dark, please sign up.
John Kirton II YES! Hurwitz recently signed an additional THREE year contract (he has been publishing a book a year!) Read https://therealbookspy.com/2019/01/27...
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Terrie Geddes' office was bomb-proof. They had shut and locked the door and the glass window was bullet proof. So the outer room was bomb-proof to OUTSIDE…moreGeddes' office was bomb-proof. They had shut and locked the door and the glass window was bullet proof. So the outer room was bomb-proof to OUTSIDE bombing...all the pressure stayed inside the room, excellerated by how confined it was. (nice that Evan got Geddes to call the number!!!)(less)

Start your review of Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
Larry H
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"There are no good guys. There are no bad guys. There's only what needs to be done."

Nobody writes thrillers like Gregg Hurwitz, particularly his Orphan X series. What an incredible group of books, full of pulse-quickening suspense, whip-cracking action, and at their heart, a flawed yet amazingly appealing protagonist. Like Dexter or other anti-heroes, Evan Smoak is someone you root for wholeheartedly even if you're troubled by what actions he must take.

When Evan was 12 years old, he was taken
Theresa Alan
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth novel in the Orphan X series. Again, you could read it as a stand alone, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Evan Smoak was plucked out of an orphanage at the age of 12 and trained to be able to kill anyway you could possibly imagine while remaining totally off the grid.

The elements of an Orphan X novel is that Evan Smoak, aka Orphan X, aka The Nowhere Man, has a lot on his plate that mysteriously he never needs to get sleep for. In this one, he has to kill the President of the
Phrynne
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was brilliant - absolutely brilliant. I remember reviewing book one and making snide comments about Evan and his vodka fetish and the living wall. Well these things are still very much in evidence and I don't care any more. Evan is amazing anyway!

What a book. Absolute non stop action, two great stories running simultaneously, a superb and unexpected ending. So good. Evan is like a young, modern Jack Reacher. Even surrounded by numerous armed thugs and unarmed himself he still wins.
PattyMacDotComma
3.5~4
“Evan waited for two of them to cross by the front gate. Then he seated the accelerator against the floor. The Ram shot forward, 240 horses and 420 pound-feet of torque powering more than two tons of Detroit Steel through the perimeter fence. The gate smashed down, crushing both men.”

A scene for the good ol’ boys among Hurwitz fans. Then there are highly choreographed battles between Evan (mostly alone) and a dozen or so bad guys with no redeeming features, so we won’t worry too much about
Tim
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was headed for 5 stars until a bit of excessive bad-guy violence (on the good people), prevented it. I prefer more bad guys getting what they deserve in a righteous pounding, instead of the decimation of innocents. This is a continuing theme in the previous 3 Orphan stories as well. Still, 8 of 10 stars
Barbara

In this 4th book in the "Orphan X" series Evan Smoak - also known as Orphan X - plans to kill the President of the United States, Jonathan Bennett. The book can be read as a standalone, but familiarity with the series is a plus.

*****

When Evan Smoak was a child Jonathan Bennett - then working for the Department of Defense - oversaw a black ops program that trained orphans to be highly skilled assassins. The children were stripped of their names and designated alphabetically: Orphan A,
Mark
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note this is Book 4 of the Orphan X series but I had not read the previous 3 and was great as a stand alone ( although am going to buy and read the other 3 now )

Having seen the authors name for the last few years and the Orphan X books I now, after reading this, regret not taking notice before and for it taking me so long to discover this series
‘Out Of The Dark’ deals with Orphan X’s personal mission to kill the President!, this is due to things the President did in his murky past that
Chad
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-netgalley, 2019
The fourth Orphan X novel works well as a stand alone story even though the third book does lead into it. Orphan X was part of a government program to raise orphans to be assassins. After a time, his conscience got the better of him. He went off on his own as the Nowhere Man, setting up a service to help those in dire straights with nowhere left to turn to. In this novel, he's also being hunted by the President. He used to be in charge of the Orphan program and is now hunting down the Orphans ...more
Kat
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-3
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Orphan X series. It’s in the vein of James Bond and the Jason Bourne novels… your highly trained super-agent who can’t be beaten, and half the fun is seeing what crazy stuff Gregg Hurwitz is going to come up with next. In this one, Evan (Orphan X) is out to assassinate the US president, who is not a good guy and has ordered the termination of the “Orphan” program and for all former orphan agents to be killed. So pretty much, kill or be killed.

Told in multiple perspectives,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Evan Smoak is a trained assassin known as Orphan X. He was part of the Orphan Program until he broke with it and used everything he had learned to reinvent himself as the Nowhere Man. Now he helps those that are desperate and have no one else to turn to. However, now someone is killing off all the Orphans, someone very high up in the government. Evan decides to strike back to take out the man behind the killings, the man who started the program, the President of the United States.

READ THE REST
Dianne
He’s your last, best hope, but who can Evan Smoak turn to when he is out of options and his life is on the line? Orphan X is back and he is even more larger than life, more seemingly invincible, yet even more vulnerable and “human.” And. He. Is. A. Target.

OUT OF THE DARK is Gregg Hurwitz’s latest razor-sharp tale of Evan Smoak, a product of a life of being trained to kill, no questions asked, but somewhere along the line, Orphan X began to ask questions, and he became a threat to be eliminated.
Cindy Burnett
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Out of the Dark is the fourth book in the Orphan X series and my favorite since the first in the series. I loved the first book and its balance between the Orphan Program aspects of the story and Evan’s constant urge to atone for his past. Out of the Dark achieves the same balance, and both of his cases in this book are highly entertaining and race along to the fabulous and highly satisfying ending. I particularly enjoyed learning about the multitude of ways the U.S. president is
Sean Peters
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This novel will be remembered as one of the best thrillers of the year." ―Associated Press

"A shocking stunner in every way. The perfect thriller." ―Robert Crais

When darkness closes in―he's your last, best hope. Evan Smoak returns in Gregg Hurwitz’s #1 international bestselling Orphan X series in Out of the Dark.

Skip
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update 3/2/19: Having just finished Orphan X #3.5 The Intern, which was awful, I am upgrading this to 4 stars. I realized that I liked the current stories in this book, and my earlier lower rating attributable to the old assassination story (see below), which lacked the context and intrigue of the greats, like John Le Carre or Len Deighton.

Evan Smoak (Orphan X) and President Bennett are out for blood: each other's, stemming from Orphan X's first job, an assassination in Eastern Europe pinned on
Janet Newport
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018-reads
Oh boy, do I ache all over.

Thank you Netgalley and St Martin's Press for this arc. I loved it!.
(Note for Judy D., previous reviewer -- this is not a kindle doc file but an E-pub file.... you'll need Adobe Digital reader installed on your computer to read and it's really not nice to rate a book you haven't read a one star).

So I couldn't get all comfortable on a nice piece of upholstered furniture.... I had to read this on my computer instead of my kindle. Didn't matter, I love the Orphan X books
Barbara
I am a huge fan of Gregg Hurwitz and his Evan Smoak novels. In his new release “Out of The Dark”, Hurwitz delivers. Evan Smoak is one of my favorite characters. He is adorable and his inner thoughts are hysterical.

One can read this without reading the previous Orphan X stories, as Hurwitz provides enough background for this to be a stand-alone story. That said, if you have read the previous novels, you will enjoy the nuances of his relationship with the people in his residential building and
Kelsie Maxwell
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
Out of the Dark by Gregg Hurwitz is the fourth book in his Orphan X series. This latest offering is a thriller of the first order. Orphan X continues his exciting personal missions.

Evan is subject number twenty-four in the Department of Defense covert Orphan Program and has been given the codename Orphan X. All of the orphans were taken from foster homes, group homes or similar housing and trained as assassins. Evan was taken from a foster home at age twelve.

Evan left the Orphan Program
Dave
Out of the Dark is the fourth book in The Orphan X thriller series which features a Jason Bourne type invincible secret agent trained from childhood to be the perfect weapon. Orphan X left the fold, went out on his own, and pays it forward by helping people who call his special phone number. He has a sort of secret identity and a high tech condo like Bruce Wayne’s bat cave. He is also haunted by his past and by the efforts of some to erase all evidence that the Orphan program ever existed. He is ...more
Bianca

After reading and loving the third novel in the Orphan X series, I jumped at the opportunity to read the fourth instalment.

Out of the Dark continues Evan Stoak’s journey as the Nowhere Man. But now, there are more complications added to the mix, such as Evan wanting to kill the President of the United States in order for the President not to kill him and the other Orphans. This scenario made me arch my sceptical, really? eyebrow, even though I enjoyed the tactical intricacies and other
Lou
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Dark is the fourth novel in the breathtakingly action-packed Orphan X series, and boy it's the best yet from master thriller writer Mr Hurwitz. I recommend reading them chronologically to gain the best experience. This time the tables have well and truly turned on Evan Smoak and he becomes the hunter rather than the hunted. The plot, as always, is intricate and well thought out, with plenty of high-octane action, in fact, the action never ceases. Quite regularly a fast, frenetic pace ...more
Rose
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Marialyce
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
5/5

This is absolutely the best one so far! And knowing the next Orphan X novel comes out in January is a bonus! This one picks up immediately following the events of Hellbent. I love the interaction of Evan in his personal life as well as with his client. Definitely shed a few tears over that one! Evan grows as a character quite a lot! Great cameos by a few of old favorites as he goes on his underlying quest...I could tell you what that is, but then I would have to kill you This is definitely
The Real Book Spy
It was always going to come to this.

Evan Smoak, aka Orphan X (when he’s not going by the Nowhere Man), has spent years searching for the man who gave the order to have him terminated–after he broke from the off-the-books government program that made him a killer–hellbent on burning their operation to the ground.

Likewise, those in charge of the Orphan Program have been looking for Evan, the only asset to ever walk away, in an effort to tie up the exceptionally lethal loose end.

Over the years,
ChopinFC
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cia-thriller, series
'Orphan X' represents the very best in what action thriller should be: fast-paced, edgy with an incredible story and a memorable protagonist!

The more I read Gregg Hurwitz' incredible 'Orphan X' series, the more impressed I get! The lead
secrete operative, 'Evan Smoakes' is top down one of the most BADASS characters I've read in the genre!! Seriously, even 007 looks like a baby crying for a blanket compared to this dude!

Again, Hurwitz resurrects our Orphan X character, 'Evan', in an
Diabolica
This was good. The series was good. And I'm happy to say we're done.

I think this, like the other three books in the series was hard to get into. And after four books I figured out why. But before we get to that, some pluses.

This book is so fast-paced, it would get a speeding ticket on the Autobahn Germany highway. It would go from one scene with the kill president theme, then flip to him trying to build his relationship with Mia, then suddenly he's readopted his nowhere man profession.

Either
Eric
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of The Dark by Gregg Hurwitz is the fourth full-length novel involving Evan Smoak. Smoak is known as Orphan X and also The Nowhere Man.

As a child, Smoak, an orphan, was selected by a secret organization for training to carry out secret government acts, including governmental assassinations. Smoak has created his dual role as The Nowhere Man to help innocent people facing dire circumstances with no one else to turn to as a way to atone for what he feels are his past sins.

The fourth novel
Bam cooks the books ;-)
*4.5 +

Evan Smoak is the kind of guy you have to like--a trained killer with a big heart. There was once a top-secret government program that took orphans from orphanages and trained them to be expert assassins. Evan is one of those, known as Orphan X.

At some point he'd had enough of the killings and decided to leave all that behind. To pay for his 'sins,' he set up a hot line on which people in need could call the Nowhere Man and be helped with their problems.

The latest one is Trevon, whose
Mark Baker
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2019
Evan Smoak’s first mission as a nineteen-year-old in 1997 sent him to an Eastern European country to take out a general who was going to make the region unstable. Well, more unstable than it already was. At the time, current President Bennett was just an undersecretary at the Department of Defense who was secretly in charge of the Orphan program. At the time, Evan thought the mission went off without a hitch, but now he finds himself directly in President Bennett’s crosshairs. What about that ...more
Kay
Oh Hellooo ... I have a new crush, you've guessed it, Evan Smoak!

What a ride. Plot is sort of Jason Bourne'ish, action is nail biting good. Evan vs. the bad guys, secret service, D.C. po po. Big guns, small guns, mortar, Matcha Latte -- he's well armed and get things done. I can't wait to see Evan on the big screen.
Goodreads Librari...: Title + author quote attached + same ISBN question. 8 24 Mar 20, 2019 03:49PM

• Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
  • Judgment
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • Run Away
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • The Night Agent
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • One Good Deed
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • Red Metal
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine,

Orphan X (5 books)
  • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
  • Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
“Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.” 1 likes
“Crisis management, he’d learned, generally balanced on getting others to focus on a different crisis, one of his choosing. Bait and switch, sleight of hand, a gentle tap to send the news cycle into a different spin.” 0 likes